COVID-19 and Other Pandemics | Anarchy in the USA

This too shall pass.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: The Potential Pandemic | Ebola, MERS, and other fears

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:So you're saying the WHO is fabricating this crisis to crash the Brazilian Olympics?
That's not what I read.

Rather that WHO may be overreacting with regards to the Zika virus.

If you want something to worry about, suggest Chagas disease or drug-resistant tuberculosis and malaria
Also chikungunya. Zack has a point in that maybe I am connecting too many points, but the points are still there. Zika is a old and relatively mild virus with no history of causing birth defects in almost eighty years. There is an active attempt to put the Brazil Olympics in a bad light http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/world ... .html?_r=0. Microcephaly simply is a smaller head circumference than a reference population - any small, normal baby will measure as microcephalic but it is being publicized as if these children are all freak show pinheads.

Why the scare tactics?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:So you're saying the WHO is fabricating this crisis to crash the Brazilian Olympics?
That's not what I read.

Rather that WHO may be overreacting with regards to the Zika virus.

If you want something to worry about, suggest Chagas disease or drug-resistant tuberculosis and malaria
Also chikungunya. Zack has a point in that maybe I am connecting too many points, but the points are still there. Zika is a old and relatively mild virus with no history of causing birth defects in almost eighty years. There is an active attempt to put the Brazil Olympics in a bad light http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/world ... .html?_r=0. Microcephaly simply is a smaller head circumference than a reference population - any small, normal baby will measure as microcephalic but it is being publicized as if these children are all freak show pinheads.

Why the scare tactics?
Colombia now has 3100 women infected with the Zika Virus We will find out soon enough. However rationalizations that it is just a "scare tactics" is pretty lame given the results of ignoring the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. 10,000 plus dead.

http://www.sott.net/article/311373-WHO- ... ged-babies
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zika is not Ebola.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

im not sure what the problem with microcephaly is, i love a little head.

(boom tish)

(me crawls away into the darkness)
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

I see that giving up juvenile double entendre is still... very hard.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:im not sure what the problem with microcephaly is, i love a little head.

(boom tish)

(me crawls away into the darkness)
Dark, but good.

The Zika virus.

The correlation between Zika virus infection in pregnant women and microcephaly is currently conjecture.

The Zika virus was first identified in 1947 and the first evidence for human infection was in 1952.

It did not suddenly become more virulent.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Heavy push for a quick $1.8B to stop this conjecture.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/s ... ka-funding
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Heavy push for a quick $1.8B to stop this conjecture.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/s ... ka-funding
I recently heard a remarkable claim that of all the people that have lived on the planet, half have died from a mosquito borne pathogen.

Unlike malaria, the Zika virus is not on the list.

This reactive disease-du-jour panic approach to funding is annoying as it ignores the relative incidence and impact of diseases.

That money would be far better spent on malaria research.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

It is simply an excuse to put public money into private hands. If passed, $1.8 of private money currently used to develop a zika vaccine will be reallocated.

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

4,700 cases of microcephaly now refigured as 404 possible cases. 17 might be related to Zika. Can Obama spend $1.8 billion fast enough?

http://noticias.uol.com.br/ultimas-noti ... efalia.htm

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Zika indeed. Virus is becoming the medical hobgoblin of C21.
. . .Centuries of protein-deficient diets and chronic illness have resulted in more than 30 percent of the population in northern Brazil being mentally and physically stunted, according to medical experts and government officials. Even in more prosperous southern Brazil, about 10 percent of the population is of subnormal height, researchers say.

In the most severe cases, known here as Brazilian Pygmies or homens nanicos, researchers say brain capacity is 40 percent to 60 percent below normal and the height of adult males is a foot or more under the 5-foot-9-inch average for men worldwide . . .
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992 ... e-da-silva

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Zika indeed. Virus is becoming the medical hobgoblin of C21.
. . .Centuries of protein-deficient diets and chronic illness have resulted in more than 30 percent of the population in northern Brazil being mentally and physically stunted, according to medical experts and government officials. Even in more prosperous southern Brazil, about 10 percent of the population is of subnormal height, researchers say.

In the most severe cases, known here as Brazilian Pygmies or homens nanicos, researchers say brain capacity is 40 percent to 60 percent below normal and the height of adult males is a foot or more under the 5-foot-9-inch average for men worldwide . . .
Quite.

Meanwhile, the current and former top politicians and bureaucrats in Brazil are now implicated in schemes to steal billions from the public purse.

I like Brazil, I really do. I have wonderful memories of the time I spent there. However, one cannot ignore reality:

Brazil is the country of the future . . .

. . . and always will be.

_____

During a recent conversation with a friend,
it occurred to me that the main activity of most countries is screwing over the majority of their population.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Wow! Compare that with current obesity rates in the US among children and the poor. There is poor in the US.... and then there is POOR!

Pictures from the Great Depression show very few heavy people...... when I was young, fat kids were so rare they were mocked.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NPR | Jimmy Carter May Soon Get His 90th Birthday Wish: No More Guinea Worm
Former President Jimmy Carter may be on the brink of celebrating the birthday wish he made last year: the global eradication of Guinea worm disease. This year, there are only two confirmed cases, compared to 3.5 million a year in the 1980s. It's a medical milestone that took a nearly 30-year effort by the Carter Center and its partners.
Well done.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:

Quite.

Meanwhile, the current and former top politicians and bureaucrats in Brazil are now implicated in schemes to steal billions from the public purse.

I like Brazil, I really do. I have wonderful memories of the time I spent there. However, one cannot ignore reality:

Given the current situation maybe Brasil is the future of the world and always will be.

BTW CS what parts of Brazil have you been to?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Quite.

Given the current situation maybe Brasil is the future of the world and always will be.

BTW CS what parts of Brazil have you been to?
One hopes not. Either Brasil or the rest of the planet.

Brasil:

Rio de Janeiro
Cabo Frio
São Paulo

Drove by myself on 101, along the Costa Verde, in a rental car from Rio de Janeiro to Caraguatatuba to visit friends and back:
Angra dos Reis
Past the "Vaga-lume". The nuclear power station on the coast nicknamed "The Firefly" for its reliability.
Ubatuba

Took a major wrong turn at "Albuquerque*", as Bugs Bunny would say, but thanks to the kindness of the locals found my way back to the main highway.

A beautiful coastal drive.

*Don't recall the actual name of the town where I ended up lost.
Doc

Post by Doc »

It's back.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world- ... demic-news

New Ebola outbreak KILLS 17 people in Congo with two more cases confirmed and 21 suspected

Seems to be far from highly populated areas.
Last edited by Doc on Tue May 08, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

huh..... stomp on that.......

24 hours in Chicago: 2 killed, 19 wounded in shootings, including 12-year-old boy, 2 women outside Mount Sinai

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:huh..... stomp on that.......

24 hours in Chicago: 2 killed, 19 wounded in shootings, including 12-year-old boy, 2 women outside Mount Sinai

For the connoisseur of the ongoing Chicago Shoot-A-Rama.

Hey Jackass! Illustrating Chicago Values.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Like Stalin said "No people No problem".

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:

:D Wow! It is tough to be enlightened without data.

Looking at this site, it is easy to understand why people in some zip codes think their neighbors are flat out crazy and/or inhuman, and therefore they should be disarmed.... for the common good or for the sake of the children.

To most of us, the effect is a sense of wonderment. What planet is Chicago on? Contaminated drinking water causing mass insanity? Bad parenting? Incel outbreak?

so many variables.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:

Like Stalin said "No people No problem".

Stalin sounds like Thanos.

When we was chirrun, Gramma often told us about the value of using the Tomato Plant Principle as a guide to life.

"Never plant more tomato plants than you are willing to carry water to!"

It also works for gardening!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

:D Wow! It is tough to be enlightened without data.

Looking at this site, it is easy to understand why people in some zip codes think their neighbors are flat out crazy and/or inhuman, and therefore they should be disarmed.... for the common good or for the sake of the children.

To most of us, the effect is a sense of wonderment. What planet is Chicago on? Contaminated drinking water causing mass insanity? Bad parenting? Incel outbreak?

so many variables.
I must say I am disappointed in the south side. They are letting the North West central put them to shame.They should ask themselves "What would Leroy Brown do?"

MuP65tdFUZc

And "What would Big Jim Walker do?

odkIEDi2x0g
Doc

Post by Doc »

IT'S BACK !! (At least the WHO finally is addressing the outbreak) And its really starting to P*ss me off. WTH happened to the Ebola vaccine?

1,660 people dead since last August. Now it has reached a city of two million people with an international airport. The WHO held back declaring the emergency because it felt people would be discriminated against if they are from the areas effected. SO no shutting down of regions and national borders to contain the outbreak. Guess what WHO ? DEATH DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE. :x

https://apnews.com/204fc739fc5846cdba40 ... ce=Twitter
Ebola outbreak in Congo declared a global health emergency
By MARIA CHENG and JAMEY KEATEN14 minutes ago
noddy

Post by noddy »

they put the Ebola stuff on hold because measles is currently a bigger problem

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07 ... nd-faster/
Since January 2019, officials have recorded over 100,000 measles cases in the DRC, mostly in children, and nearly 2,000 have died. The figures surpass those of the latest Ebola outbreak in the country, which has tallied not quite 2,500 cases and 1,665 deaths since August 2018.
ultracrepidarian