FaceBook IPO

This too shall pass.
AzariLoveIran

FaceBook IPO

Post by AzariLoveIran »

There are many ways to skin the CAT (meaning poor Joe the 6 pack)

Fleecing America, again
“Facebook exists to make the world more open and connected, and not just to build a company,” . .

He said these values would lead to more honest and transparent dialogue between every day people and the businesses . .
well

Money, instead flowing into R&D for new drugs and technology .. is hipped into this "rubbish"

R&D is left for Germans and Chinese and Indians AND Iranians
Morgan Stanley won the lead bank position, with JPMorgan second, and Goldman Sachs third. Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Barclay’s Capital, and Allen & Company are also involved.

In final analysis, money borrowed from FED (printing machine) with 0% interest, meant to be spend on retooling Corporate America for challenges ahead, and high paying Jobs .. is channeled into, you know who's pocket

Rhubarb @ it again :lol:

AzariLoveIran

Re: FaceBook IPO

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Slippery slope that "Rhubarb" territory to comment ! ! :lol:

come on folks , come on

it's your money, not mine

disappearing from your pocket to theirs

and

Obama asking Steve Jobs what it would take to make iPhone in America

make iPhone ?

Yukon Cornelius

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

... Zuckerberg will cut everyone a check for the content they've generated, right?

Right??
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:.

... Zuckerberg will cut everyone a check for the content they've generated, right ?

Right ? ?

Right, Yukon Cornelius

first check, for Joe, $ 1.5 Billion , is in the mail

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/6dbffbce-4e8b ... z1lM0EAv9g

Mark Zuckerberg faces a tax liability of more than $1.5bn this year, vaulting the Facebook co-founder into the leagues of all-time highest taxpayers and leaving a big question mark over his company’s initial public offering.

The taxes will fall due on a vast profit of nearly $5bn that Mr Zuckerberg, 27, plans to take on stock options he was handed in 2005 for acting as Facebook’s chief executive.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/6dbffbce-4e8b ... z1lM0H8GF7

While not putting a figure on the amounts at stake, Facebook said this week that Mr Zuckerberg would exercise the options before its initial public offering, which is expected to take place in May, and sell enough shares in the IPO to cover the tax bill on his profits.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/6dbffbce-4e8b ... z1lM0RVyKx

News of the Facebook co-founder’s vast impending tax liability comes amid a national debate in the US over whether the country’s top earners are paying enough in taxes. Curiously, while any profits realised from most of Mr Zuckerberg’s $22bn stake in Facebook would also be taxable as capital gains, the portion tied to his options will appear as regular income in his personal tax return.

Mr Zuckerberg’s need to sell shares to cover his personal tax bill will make this a big part of the company’s impending IPO and leave a question over how much cash the company will be able to keep for itself from the deal. It said this week it expected the IPO to raise $5bn, half the amount that Wall Street had expected, though companies often begin with a low figure to stimulate interest among investors before increasing the target amount nearer to the time of a deal.

As so-called “non-qualifying” stock options similar to those handed to other corporate executives, the gains on the Zuckerberg options will be taxed at the top US marginal income tax rate of 35 per cent, said John Barcal, associate professor of accounting at the USC Leventhal School of Accounting.

more@ the link

AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Facebook Users Ask, ‘Where’s Our Cut?’ .. Without the free content created by its 850 million users, Facebook would surely not be on the verge of a multibillion-dollar initial public offering.

SAN FRANCISCO — By my calculation, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s founder and chief executive, owes me about $50.

Without me, and the other 844,999,999 people poking, liking and sharing on the site, Facebook would look like a scene from the postapocalyptic movie “The Day After Tomorrow”: bleak, desolate and really quite sad. (Or MySpace, if that is easier to imagine.) Facebook surely would never be valued at anything close to $100 billion, which it very well could be in its coming initial public offering.
In the company’s S-1 filing, submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission this week, Facebook boasts about its statistics: annually, people “like” one trillion things; 91 billion photos are uploaded; half a billion people use Facebook on mobile phones; and hundreds of millions are annoyingly “poked.”

So all this leaves me with a question: Where’s my cut? I helped build this thing, too. Facebook laid the foundation of the house and put in the plumbing, but we put up the walls, picked out the furniture, painted and hung photos, and invited everyone over for dinner parties.

So why am I asking for money from Facebook and not Google? Although there have been hundreds of technology-related I.P.O.’s over the last decade, Facebook is the first real social-media public offering, where the content on the site is entirely created by its users. (The closest, LinkedIn, had additional business models, including premium payment subscriptions.) “The idea that a business benefits from social interaction is not so strange or new. A lot of cafes and small restaurants will let people hang out because they attract other people,” said Yannis M. Ioannides, a professor of economics at Tufts University. “What is unusual and new is that Facebook takes access to information about these people to make its business more powerful.” He added: “The proprietor of a cafe doesn’t use personal information about me and my friends to make money.”

Mr. Ioannides suggests that Facebook and other social Web sites could create a two-way financial street. Facebook, for example, could pay the people who create content on the site. The company could then make money by matching the content with advertising, as it does now. As an alternative for more private individuals, people could pay to use Facebook if it promised not to sift through their personal information. This way, everyone wins.

I for one would feel more comfortable with Facebook looking through my phonebook, wallet and underwear drawer if I knew I was going to get paid for it.

Jaron Lanier, one of the deepest thinkers on the impacts of technology on society and an “innovator in residence” at the Annenberg School at the University of Southern California, worries about companies like Facebook and Twitter not paying their users while the people lucky enough to work for them become rich from free user-generated content. Mr. Lanier says that as more money flows to those who build these networks, society distorts and divides. Those without the skills needed in this new economy — other than to tweet and post pictures — can fall further behind economically.

“The value comes from the people; none of it is self-created,” Mr. Lanier said in an interview. He warns that if society doesn’t devise economic solutions to social networks, there could be “serious social blowback.”

Sure, $50 might not seem like a lot of money right now, but if Facebook continues to grow as it has in the past, its $4 billion in annual revenue could be in the tens of billions of dollars in a few years. If that happens, I should be expecting a dividend.

So, Mr. Zuckerberg, feel free to message me on Facebook, and I’ll give you my address so you can send me a check — unless, as I suspect, you already know where I live.

:lol: :lol:

Excellent short this FaceBook scam .. excellent short

AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Dot.com days back

Silicon Valley awaits Facebook millionaire buying spree

Facebook's IPO filing sets off a chain of events that will ultimately see shares in the company available for public purchase and trade. Within the company, it also stands to turn, according to Reuters, about 1,000 employees into instant millionaires.

And when those newly minted, modern-day Thurston Howells hit the tony streets of the area surrounding Facebook's Menlo Park, California headquarters, it's anyone's guess what they'll be buying, and how much.

Dot.com days back?

Businesses contacted by Yahoo! Finance Canada were, for the most part, hesitant to call it an impending gold rush. But there's a quiet optimism at the prospect of a glut of suddenly-flush twenty- and thirty-somethings, and companies ranging from real estate brokerages and car dealerships to banks and even comic book stores are bracing for an expanded pool of disposable income.

"It's still too early to really tell where all this will lead, but there's an excitement in the air," says Ron Burton, general manager of Carlsen Audi in Palo Alto. "From what I've heard, it's like the dot-com days are back."

Those days of heady expectations and inflated real estate values may have crashed and burned when the dot-com bubble burst in 2001, but Wendy McPherson, mid-peninsula regional manager with two Coldwell Banker Regional Brokerage offices in Menlo Park, says much of the optimism of that era is already visible in the region.

It's a seller's market

Facebook is only the latest in a growing wave of tech IPOs in the Silicon Valley, and the impact is already being felt in a tight real estate market that McPherson expects to tighten even further. Menlo Park and Palo Alto are right in the middle of a tract between San Francisco and San Jose that's already seeing unprecedented demand.

"Including Facebook, we're expecting at least 18 companies to go public this year, just in our area, with a total of about 15,000 employees among them," says McPherson. "Right now, we have no inventory, we have buyers coming out our ears, and we have no sellers. If a decent house comes on the market, it will receive 6, 8, maybe 10 offers. I've been doing this for 35 years, and I've never seen such a backup of buyers as I've seen now. It's pretty astounding, and this is even before Facebook has gone public."

Once it does, McPherson, who describes the current situation as "classic supply and demand," expects things to get even tighter as the real IPO-fed spending begins. While she says the timeline for this extends out at least 8 to 10 months, some employees and early investors have already sold their respective stakes privately. And that's driving increased business activity on the street.

"Already, traffic is heavier, and restaurants are busier," she says. "It's a good time to be a contractor and a good time to be in the furniture business."

The good times extend beyond high-tech employees, as a cluster of high-profile venture capital firms, most located a short drive away from Facebook's offices, are also benefitting from the uptick. Palo Alto-based Accel Partners, which paid $12.5 million for an 11.8 per cent stake in the company in 2004, is looking at a potential $1.2 billion-dollar payday based on top-end valuation estimates of $100 billion. Digital Sky Technologies, another VC firm, could cash in to the tune of $500 million for its 5 per cent slice of the company.

When it hits the street, the influx of personal liquidity could impact a broad range of businesses, but those more dependent on discretionary spending could benefit the most.

Luxury market gears ups

"Our entire business plan was built around putting these two businesses in the right areas," says Gary Anderson, managing director of the Palo Alto-based Fisker Silicon Valley and McLaren San Francisco dealerships, which sell high-performance plug-in hybrids and supercars, respectively. "Most definitely we would expect to see an incremental increase in consumer spending on luxury items."

Anderson says this week's Facebook announcement is only the beginning.

"People have been talking about it, but Facebook's IPO program has only just begun, so nobody's got money in their wallets yet," he says. "I'm sure many people are already dreaming of how they're going spend a good portion of it."

Facebook aside, Anderson says strong growth in the broader tech market has already been a key business driver.

"We deal with tech people every day here, and our niche market, if you will, has been pretty active before this news," he says. "There's still a great sense of optimism in the Silicon Valley."

Despite the rising tide of optimism, the 2001 meltdown continues to cast long shadows, and Coldwell Banker's McPherson says that's not necessarily a bad thing.

"Even though we have all this craziness going on, I think a lot of these guys have learned their lesson," says. "They're not going to be so crazy and make these crazy purchases they made in 2000. They're not going to pay $50 million for a property."