Susan G. Komen sues charities over the word 'Cure'

This too shall pass.
Enki

Susan G. Komen sues charities over the word 'Cure'

Post by Enki »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/0 ... 93176.html

This is one of the most vile abuses of trademark law I've ever heard. I hope that people all over the political spectrum will stop funding this charity. If any charity I gave money to was spending money to sue people like this, I would definitely never give them money again.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Re: Susan G. Komen sues charities over the word 'Cure'

Post by Typhoon »

To be pedantic it's "For the Cure" that this supposed charity is suing other charities over according to the article.

Still it certainly raises an eyebrow and a red flag.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Re: Susan G. Komen sues charities over the word 'Cure'

Post by Enki »

Well...it's simply malevolent for a massive charity to sue over such a trivial thing. It wastes donors funds, and it also kills nascent charities. Most charities simply could not survive an assault like this. Considering our Haiti operation was funded almost entirely out of our volunteers pockets, this sort of thing could have killed our operation.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton