Multiculturalism

This too shall pass.
Simple Minded

Re: Multiculturalism

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
--
i acquired this list from wikipedia.

romania seems to be missing tho my own searching suggests cocalar.

the arabs dont seem to have a word for it, does this mean everyone or noone is a bogan ? :-)

how much more multicultural could one get than the list of people who would poke it with a stick first.
Never heard of Hoopie or Skid. Hoser sounds kinda like 1970's Canadian to me. I suspect in Saudi Arabia, the nomads are considered rednecks.

check out some of Thomas Sowell's thoughts that northern US black urban redneck culture (hip-hop?) is the same as southern US white rural redneck culture, which has origins in the northern UK.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon wrote:ヤンキー | Yankii: a J-phonetization of the English - American "Yankee". Probably most similar to UK chavs.
>look up Yanki
>discover Bosozoku
>look up Bosozoku

>Nazi racing :|
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: If you're talking about geisha, then why did you post an image of a maiko?
In terms of objectified subservient femininity I couldn't find a real difference.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

And nice great big strawman on rednecks guys, well done.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:
YMix wrote:
noddy wrote:does romania have a word for that group ?
No, but I expect my language to acquire at some point. "Ignorant and proud about it" wasn't common behavior around here, but it may grow into a movement mainly through the influence of hip-hop.
really ? i find that surprising.

every group ive met has a subset that doesnt care for whats beyond the things they like.
I think you're being much too hard on academics. :)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
noddy wrote:
YMix wrote:
noddy wrote:does romania have a word for that group ?
No, but I expect my language to acquire at some point. "Ignorant and proud about it" wasn't common behavior around here, but it may grow into a movement mainly through the influence of hip-hop.
really ? i find that surprising.

every group ive met has a subset that doesnt care for whats beyond the things they like.
on occasion, noddy lacks some of that savoir faire stuff.... We all can't be cultured..... :(
Alexis

What was the (darn) topic, already?

Post by Alexis »

Typhoon wrote:
noddy wrote:its an odd thing how most cultures seem to have a dream about 'the other culture' having passive, sex driven woman.

plenty of middle eastern types seem to think the same about white woman as westerners think about asian woman.

I pity the poor expat in Japan that confuses polite manners and calculated deference for passive subservience.
Some flowers are carnivorous.

Personally, the woman I married never tried to disguise herself nor to be confused with a passive or subservient being. And I'm happily married. :)

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
noddy wrote:every group ive met has a subset that doesnt care for whats beyond the things they like.
:lol: ! Good one !

--- Now, back to the (darn) topic of the thread :mrgreen:

Multiculturalism is most often very badly defined, or not at all.

First of all, if the word has any meaning, it must be about culture, as in: language, customs, and religion to a point. If the topic was race, then we would speak about Multiracism, right? :P Or "Multiracial", to be less facetious.

If it's about culture, multiculturalism as far as I can understand it is a theory that people within the same country should be put in nice neat cells where they would cultivate specificities that were designed outside of them and without their input.

This goes from the inoffensive & mundane - if your mother was Irish, then you have to be able to prepare an Irish stew. Otherwise you're a bad person - to the utterly dangerous - different laws for different so-called "communities", whatever that word is supposed to mean, and generally the lesser you know the better :roll: With various shades of comical and / or dangerous in between, not to forget the pitiful.

As far as I'm concerned, every place it is directly applicable, this model should be applied: one law for all, equality for everybody, no distinction between citizens, one language for all. This model being applicable to any immigrant whatever the country of origin, just as to any person with uncommon religious views or uncommon skin color. Model which was exactly and concisely expressed by Abbé Grégoire when the French revolution gave equal rights to Jews: "(We should) refuse everything to Jews as a nation and give them everything as individuals"

The only exception I know of is exception of language, for those countries which happen to already have several ones. Switzerland e.g. is a German, French and Italian speaking nation. Canada is another obvious example, and some Canadians have insisted on using their own peculiar language, which was wisely allowed to them, all the more so since this language is also spoken by the country's big neighbour on the South, allowing for easier communication.

Other than this sole exception, I can't see any reason to speak of "multiculturalism".
Alexis

US Racial Dot Map

Post by Alexis »

I forgot: here is a zoomable racial dot map of the US, built from 2010 Census data.

I found it most useful for all of us non-Merikans who never set foot on Home of the Braves territory, and neverless are interested to understand exactly how things are there.

Personally before being given that map I had not realized two salient facts about races & space in the US, that:

1. America is almost entirely a White country
I don't mean by population, but by territory. The countryside is massively, almost exclusively White. Blacks, Hispanics, Asians are only to be found within the cities.

2. Living space is extremely segregated
Zoom in on any big city, and you'll mostly see big chunks of White / Black / to a lesser extent Asian or Hispanic living space. More mixed districts are the exception rather than the rule, though that rule seems somewhat less stringent as far as Asians are concerned.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: If you're talking about geisha, then why did you post an image of a maiko?
In terms of objectified subservient femininity I couldn't find a real difference.
Spoken like a true progressive liberal.

So you can be a "switch hitter". :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:

Spoken like you. One man's objectified subservient female is another man's rich cultural heritage. If you get to do it you have to let Abrahamites do it.
Mr. Perfect

Re: US Racial Dot Map

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Alexis wrote:I forgot: here is a zoomable racial dot map of the US, built from 2010 Census data.

I found it most useful for all of us non-Merikans who never set foot on Home of the Braves territory, and neverless are interested to understand exactly how things are there.

Personally before being given that map I had not realized two salient facts about races & space in the US, that:

I don't mean by population, but by territory. The countryside is massively, almost exclusively White. Blacks, Hispanics, Asians are only to be found within the cities.

Zoom in on any big city, and you'll mostly see big chunks of White / Black / to a lesser extent Asian or Hispanic living space. More mixed districts are the exception rather than the rule, though that rule seems somewhat less stringent as far as Asians are concerned.
Thanks for being unique to this forum and stepping outside the lo information zone. Most foreigners have no idea how segregated liberals are from each other based on race.

Something about Democrats always produces segregation.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Alexis wrote:I forgot: here is a zoomable racial dot map of the US, built from 2010 Census data.

Thanks for being unique to this forum and stepping outside the lo information zone. Most foreigners have no idea how segregated liberals are from each other based on race.

Something about Democrats always produces segregation.
The all powerful Demopublicans. Able to segregate an entire nation.

Demopublicans. Is there anything that they cannot do?

No wonder the Republicrats are so histrionic. :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:

Spoken like you. One man's objectified subservient female is another man's rich cultural heritage. If you get to do it you have to let Abrahamites do it.
Subservient? :lol:

Top marks for consistency. Consistent low info of anything outside of right wing conspiracy theories.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: The all powerful Demopublicans. Able to segregate an entire nation.

Demopublicans. Is there anything that they cannot do?

No wonder the Republicrats are so histrionic. :wink:
The facts are the facts. Democrats were the party of the South during Jim Crow, now they are the party of the segregated liberal cities. It is what it is.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:
Subservient? :lol:

Top marks for consistency. Consistent low info of anything outside of right wing conspiracy theories.
Abrahamites have similar rationalizations. If you get to rationalize your culture you have to let Abrahamites do it.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wow. As bad as anything I've read from an Abrahamite nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_suffrage_in_Japan
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Wow. As bad as anything I've read from an Abrahamite nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_suffrage_in_Japan
A rather ill-informed article.

Amusing that you can cite progressive liberal feminists when it suits your purpose.

Do you hand over your paycheck to your wife and receive an allowance in return?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: A rather ill-informed article.

Amusing that you can cite progressive liberal feminists when it suits your purpose.

A progressive liberal feminist can write an ill informed article.

Imagine that.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: A rather ill-informed article.

A progressive liberal feminist can write an ill informed article.

Imagine that.
And you quote it uncritically.

Imagine that.
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote:Image
yoda is the evil one, this is known. (wise head nodding goes ere)
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

china is also full of chinese and where ever they move they form china towns.

is their something to be learnt from the above ?

my family comes from the solomon islands, one island (malaita) got full and a large group moved to another island (guadacanal), then a race war started because the island they moved to felt like it was getting taken over.

the australian army stepped in and shot and bullied lots of young feiry types until they stopped butchering each other, now they just have lurking bitterness and winner takes all politics.

why are americans and western europeans meant to be some sort of angelic super being that doesnt suffer from regular old human problems ?

is white power truly that magnificant ?

has history truly ended as the all perfect and all knowing white man spreads his wonders across the globe and all other cultures crumble in wonder ?
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
china is also full of chinese and where ever they move they form china towns.

is their something to be learnt from the above ?

my family comes from the solomon islands, one island (malaita) got full and a large group moved to another island (guadacanal), then a race war started because the island they moved to felt like it was getting taken over.

the australian army stepped in and shot and bullied lots of young feiry types until they stopped butchering each other, now they just have lurking bitterness and winner takes all politics.

why are americans and western europeans meant to be some sort of angelic super being that doesnt suffer from regular old human problems ?

is white power truly that magnificant ?

has history truly ended as the all perfect and all knowing white man spreads his wonders across the globe and all other cultures crumble in wonder ?
Kinda makes me think there is only one culture, human.

Differences only seem to appear with one's chosen foci......, race, religion, income, politics, religion, hobbies, sex, nationality, etc.

Trying to get Fred to agree with Joe's views of himself and the world seems problematic. Overlords ain't fixin it. Seems like an ap or drug should be able to fix it.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Differences only seem to appear with one's chosen foci......, race, religion, income, politics, religion, hobbies, sex, nationality, etc.

Trying to get Fred to agree with Joe's views of himself and the world seems problematic. Overlords ain't fixin it. Seems like an ap or drug should be able to fix it.
sure, im a mix blood foreigner from a multi culti and background, im pretty ambivilent to all it, for myself.

i just watch the groups around me and then the commentary on those groups and wonder how to match one to the udder.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

sure, im a mix blood foreigner from a multi culti and background, im pretty ambivilent to all it, for myself.

i just watch the groups around me and then the commentary on those groups and wonder how to match one to the udder.
there is always going to be a disconnect between perception and reality. Getting my own clear, and just marveling at how others seem to function or not seems a full time task.

recall the four blind men feeling the elephant. as long as they and the elephant aren't poopin in your rice bowl, let them think as they wish.

they will self-adjust or not, as they see fit.

I find it more satisfying to fight the forces of entropy, than the forces of stupidity. entropy, I understand, stupidity, not so much... :shock: