Typhoon

Re: Glowing

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: A classic.

More so as it is accurate.
Quite a few survived the last nuclear war.
A couple of tiny nuclear weapons do not a nuclear war make.

Numeracy counts in all amounts.
Do you think the people of Japan consider WWII a nuclear war.
No.

Japan did not surrender because of a couple of nuclear bombs.

Japan surrendered as between Soviet Russia and the USA, the USA was considered the lesser of two evils.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Histrionic Vice clickbait is your "citation"?

In that case, why not just cite the Weekly World News and investigative journalism by Bat Boy.

Just as credible, if not more so.
If the Weekly World News is able to establish contacts with black marketeers do you know who else is going to be able to.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: No.
Interesting. Why not, do you think.
Typhoon

Glowing

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Histrionic Vice clickbait is your "citation"?

In that case, why not just cite the Weekly World News and investigative journalism by Bat Boy.

Just as credible, if not more so.
If the Weekly World News is able to establish contacts with black marketeers do you know who else is going to be able to.
Does not matter. Unlike the Hollywood movies,

1/ There is no one offering nuclear weapons for sale on the black market.

2/ With the system of interlocks on any weapon, getting one to go off is no trivial matter. It's not something that one can just hack.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wow. Why are you under the impression that there is no black market for nuclear weapons.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: No.

Japan did not surrender because of a couple of nuclear bombs.

Japan surrendered as between Soviet Russia and the USA, the USA was considered the lesser of two evils.
Well that's not really what I asked. I couldn't speculate on why Japan really surrendered, I'm just wondering why a war where nuclear weapons were used wouldn't be considered a nuclear war.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The hunt for Red Mercury: Isis tricked into chasing after mythical nuclear bomb substance
Islamic State might be a very sophisticated terrorist organisation, but it has still fallen prey to one of the biggest nuclear bomb hoaxes of all time - the legend of the Red Mercury substance.

Islamic State (Isis) has set its sights on obtaining a rare and incredibly expensive lethal substance called Red Mercury that can make nuclear bombs as small as a sandwich bag, but there's only one problem – it doesn't exist.

Although the terrorist group is apparently sophisticated enough to have its own 24/7 IT helpdesk and funds its activities by selling Iraqi and Syrian oil, as well as smuggling ancient relics out of the region to unscrupulous private collectors, it seems that IS is not beyond believing in an urban legend that has been floating around since the Cold War.
Whoever started this rumour, all those years ago, was/is a prank genius.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It looks like the lo info facebook feeds didn't include these bits. Note this is obama, not Teabagger Weekly.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/artic ... obama-says
President Barack Obama said that the terrorist attacks in Brussels this month increased the urgency to secure materials that could be used for nuclear or radiological weapons after meeting with French President Francois Hollande on the first day of a summit in Washington.

"This is obviously an occasion in which we are deeply concerned about nuclear security," Obama said after the meeting.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

http://time.com/4271854/belgium-isis-nu ... -brussels/
A Belgian nuclear power plant may have been the target of an aborted plot by the ISIS cell that carried out this week’s terrorist attacks in Brussels, according to Belgian media.

If confirmed, the plot would explain why the country’s two nuclear power plants were all but locked down in the immediate aftermath of Tuesday’s bombings — without explanation, and despite being miles away from the Brussels facilities under attack.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nuclear-se ... -1.3512017
Nuclear terrorism threat will be focus of summit drawing Trudeau, world leaders to Washington
Leaders from more than 50 countries to attend high-level talks taking place in shadow of Brussels attacks

The world has yet to experience an act of nuclear terrorism. High-level discussions this week in Washington will resolve to keep things that way as fresh attacks in Brussels loom over the talks.

Leaders from more than 50 countries, including Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, meet Thursday and Friday in the U.S. capital for the fourth and final Nuclear Security Summit, a conference dedicated to ensuring the most devastating weapons remain out of the reach of would-be attackers.

The summit, an initiative led by U.S. President Barack Obama, confronts the growing menace of ISIS and how best to address nuclear smuggling and transnational intelligence-sharing.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nothing to see here.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/04/11/b ... -security/
Heads up, Boston: A helicopter will be flying around the city at altitudes as low as 150 feet this week, but officials say there’s no cause for concern.

The National Nuclear Security Administration announced in a statement that from Tuesday through Friday, a low-flying helicopter will be measuring “naturally occurring background radiation” over an area covering 13 square miles.

The helicopter, equipped with radiation-sensing technology, will fly in a grid pattern at about 80 miles per hour. The flights will only happen during daylight hours.

“The measurement of naturally occurring radiation to establish baseline levels is a normal part of security and emergency preparedness,” the statement read.

The flyovers will be completed days before the Boston Marathon on April 18.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Coverage of Nuclear Security Summit presents confusing message
The recent summit centered on securing nuclear materials and preventing nuclear terrorism.
But the message to the public focused on fear.
And ignorance.

A scared public is a malleable public.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ignorance of what.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The only ignorance I could find was here. And your fearmongering anecdotes in the gun thread. Well, I guess ultimately I wouldn't put a lid on it.
Typhoon wrote: If one is absolutely convinced that such a scenario is "imminent", then such a website is superfluous.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yeah. Nothing to see here.

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFKCN0XP1P5
The security service in the former Soviet republic of Georgia said on Thursday it had detained five Georgian citizens who were trying to sell $3 million worth of radioactive uranium.

Security service officers did not say whether the group had a buyer for the uranium, nor where the group had acquired it.

World leaders have been concerned about the security of Soviet nuclear weapons since the Soviet Union's demise in 1991. Concern has also grown that radical groups are seeking material with which to make a 'dirty bomb'.