Cat News and Mews.........

This too shall pass.

Cat Questions

Do you like cats?
18%
Do you dislike cats?
3%
Do you own/parent/serve one or more cats?
14%
Do your cats have long hair?
6%
Do your cats have short hair?
14%
Do your cats like catnip, cat thyme, silver vine etc.?
12%
Are your cats purebred?
2%
Are your cats mixed breed?
15%
Do/have you parent(ed) an unusual cat.. Manx, Sphinx, Munchkin, Polydactyl, Rex, Handicapped. Blind, missing limbs, over 15 years old, other........
8%
Has one or more of your cats held political office?
8%

Total votes: 65

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Cat News and Mews.........

Post by monster_gardener »

This Thread is for News about our Furry Feline Friends, House Cats, Felis catus domesticus

If this should belong elsewhere, please let me know....... I'll delete and post it where it belongs to avoid work for the Admins.....
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
monster_gardener

Cat Has Been Mayor of an Alaska Town for 15 years

Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Monster Gardener. ;)

This has made the TV news 2 day in a row.

Tonight it was on Fox with Shepherd Smith

What can you say about a Mayor who runs around in the nude and licks people to get back rubs... ;)

A pet part-Manx cat who pawed his way into American politics is celebrating 15 years as mayor of an Alaskan town.

Residents in Talkeetna favoured a feline rather than a real candidate so Mayor Stubbs was given the honorary title. It started as a joke, but the cat won as a ‘write in’ candidate on the ballot papers.

He has been a popular tourist attraction ever since in the town of 900 people.
http://www.euronews.com/2012/07/16/pet- ... kan-mayor/

82l9FOwFBDE

4yxUZSxv9h0
Apollonius

Re: Cat News and Mews.........

Post by Apollonius »

My last cat was a Maine Coon cat. Mostly fur and only about 7 pounds. She was nevertheless a mean customer. She attacked large dogs and they never came back.

Cat crazed – Doc Zone, CBC Television, originally broadcast 11 September 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doczone/2011/catcrazed/

I was about ready to get another cat. I love cats, and at various times of my life have owned several of them, but after watching this, I think I’m going to resist the temptation. I don’t want kitty supplementing kibbles with wild game.

According to this, after humans, cats are the world’s top predator, killing over one billion birds every year.
Tasha
Tasha
Tasha.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 11624 times
Enki

Post by Enki »

My cat Manga is a Norwegian Skaggcat, he has a lifetime appointment as the Pope of the Catolic church.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apollonius wrote:My last cat was a Maine Coon cat. Mostly fur and only about 7 pounds. She was nevertheless a mean customer. She attacked large dogs and they never came back.

Cat crazed – Doc Zone, CBC Television, originally broadcast 11 September 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doczone/2011/catcrazed/

I was about ready to get another cat. I love cats, and at various times of my life have owned several of them, but after watching this, I think I’m going to resist the temptation. I don’t want kitty supplementing kibbles with wild game.

According to this, after humans, cats are the world’s top predator, killing over one billion birds every year.
Tasha.jpg
Lovely cat.

However, I have to wonder how those numbers were arrived at.

Most wild animals are infested with parasites and succumb to natural causes. A billion may sound like a large number, but relative to what? What is the total bird population of the planet?

Humans: is this predation for food? Are ducks, chickens, turkeys and other birds raised for rotisseries included?

Cats: How was this number arrived at?

Cats are certainly outstanding predators. That's what they've evolved to do. However, if my downtown cat catches the odd pigeon, rock dove, or crow [which would be quite an achievement] I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Those birds choose to live among humans.

However, if I was living in some very remote region, then it may be a consideration. Then again, maybe not. I like cats.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Azeem over 20 years of age now: http://psanimal.com/sageazeem.htm

Shameless plug. Patty's book is a great read. If you buy a consult for a loved one, they will remember the experience the rest of their lives.

Robin, a very social snowshoe. At 5 weeks and 17 ounces she walked up to our 90 lb German Shepard, got in his face and said "I'm not afraid of you. I'm here and you are going learn to deal with it!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j76cW_ZkYfQ

Terry Tiger and Dolley came from James Madison's estate. Dolley loves the indoors, Terry is the consumate predator. Probably over 100 squirrel, rabbits, chipmunk, mouse, mole, frog, and bird kills in several years.

Terry, Robin, and Dolley will cuddle with two of our three dogs. Azeem views dogs as lower life forms.

Quantity of small animals: One of my Dad's friend claims to have killed over 17,000 squirrels at his bird feeder over several decades.....
monster_gardener

Catolic vs. Cat-Lick

Enki wrote:My cat Manga is a Norwegian Skaggcat, he has a lifetime appointment as the Pope of the Catolic church.
Thank you VERY Much for your post, Tinker.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one!

But don't you mean the Cat-Lick church........ ;) 8-)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

My cat dropped another rat about half his size last night over a period within a half hour or so. Brought him to me so I could log it in his kill book. So far, he's proven to be White Death for anything less than five pounds. Neither wings nor whiskers nor digging nor teeth are any proof.

Again, he's not a predator. He's a fuzzy serial killer. He's feline smallpox.
monster_gardener

White Cats vs Big Bad Birds...... Camo vs. Deer........

Demon of Undoing wrote:My cat dropped another rat about half his size last night over a period within a half hour or so. Brought him to me so I could log it in his kill book. So far, he's proven to be White Death for anything less than five pounds. Neither wings nor whiskers nor digging nor teeth are any proof.

Again, he's not a predator. He's a fuzzy serial killer. He's feline smallpox.
Thank you VERY Much for your post, DOU.

FWIW, a friend of mine advised me to be careful to protect white cats, small white dogs or any sort of small white junior family member if there are hawks or especially Great Horned Owls about........

Not that the Bad Birds won't go after black cats or grey tigers but, the White Boyz and Grrls don't blend in as well...... :|

On the other hand remembering another friend reminding me that animals don't see the same way we do and that for examples, hunters in traditional camo stick out like a sore thumb for deer........

Not as dramatic as the brochure he showed me but it illustrates the idea.....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... S8bZK53NRA
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Typhon wrote:... I have to wonder how those numbers were arrived at.

Most wild animals are infested with parasites and succumb to natural causes. A billion may sound like a large number, but relative to what? What is the total bird population of the planet?

The program I linked to makes the claim, which I don't find at all hard to believe, that there are 200 million ferral cats (can't remember if this was just in North America, or worldwide). Even if ferral cats are the only cats eating the birds, something this documentary is at pains to inform us they are not, that works out to 5 birds per year for these cats, which indicates that they aren't especially good hunters, and in fact, must be close to starvation, unless chicken only makes up a small proportion of their diet.
cincinnatus

Post by cincinnatus »

Demon of Undoing wrote: He's a fuzzy serial killer. He's feline smallpox.
For God's sake Demon, write a god damn novel! You could be the apocalyptic thriller-comedy version of Elmore Leonard with your writing style...
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
monster_gardener

Anakin, the Brave Little Kitten With Only 2 legs

Thank you Very Much for maintaining the Forum, Admins.

Saw this on the Daily Kitten.........

An amazing kitten with only 2 legs........ plucky little guy who still manages to to get around on only 2 and his tail/tummy..........

Even more amazing that his feral mother took care of him long enough for him to get adopted..... He must have impressed her as being a keeper........

http://www.facebook.com/AnakinTheTwoLeggedCat

Reminds me a bit of the Cat Snakes in Larry Niven's "A World Out of Time"...........

http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com/ ... arry-niven
monster_gardener

Daily Kitten and Kitten War

Thank you Very Much for maintaining the Forum, Admins.

2 cute Cat links........

New Kitten each day

http://www.dailykitten.com/

Choose the cutest cat or kitten

http://kittenwar.com/
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

8FRBQOrvURA
SaRVE4LlGUk
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

I loathe cats. They massacre the local songbird population.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Wanda Landowska at the harpsichord - Philippe Halsman, 1944

(Couldn't find a larger image; use your magnification options)
Marcus

Re: Cat Has Been Mayor of an Alaska Town for 15 years

Post by Marcus »

monster_gardener wrote:. . A pet part-Manx cat who pawed his way into American politics is celebrating 15 years as mayor of an Alaskan town. Residents in Talkeetna . .
We used to live there, mg, back in the early '70's . .
slide54.jpg
slide54.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 11487 times
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
monster_gardener

Marcus wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:. . A pet part-Manx cat who pawed his way into American politics is celebrating 15 years as mayor of an Alaskan town. Residents in Talkeetna . .
We used to live there, mg, back in the early '70's . .
slide54.jpg
Thank you VERY Much for your post, Marcus.

You and your wife look happy...... :)

If you're there again, please present the compliments of my cat girls to Mayor Stubbs ;)

One of them is with me purring as I type this.......

Local weather people mentioned Alaska yesterday....... Said that locally there was record heat but that in Alaska, it has been cooler than usual...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

United States Patent 5443036 | Method of exercising a cat
A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor or wall or other opaque surface in the vicinity of the cat, then moving the laser so as to cause the bright pattern of light to move in an irregular way fascinating to cats, and to any other animal with a chase instinct.
TnBqDjt5I7s
monster_gardener

Laser Pointers for Pets at Walmart........

Typhoon wrote:United States Patent 5443036 | Method of exercising a cat
A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor or wall or other opaque surface in the vicinity of the cat, then moving the laser so as to cause the bright pattern of light to move in an irregular way fascinating to cats, and to any other animal with a chase instinct.
TnBqDjt5I7s
Thank you VERY Much for your post, Typhoon.

You can get the handheld laser pointers for about $4 or less at the checkout at Walmart. The hand held ones in the Pet section of Walmart are more expensive.
The Pet section recently got automatic laser pointer for $16 to $26... The deluxe version is programmable but have not bought because of concern it might accidentally
damage the eyes of the cat boyz or cat grrls ......
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

monster_gardener wrote:Thank you VERY Much for your post, Marcus.

You and your wife look happy...... :) .
We were, mg, and still are . . 49 years and counting. I'm carrying my wife across the threshold of the first house we ever owned free and clear . . 12' X 20' with a loft . . no electric, no plumbing . . and we even had a couple cats there. Built the cabin with a chain saw. Once, one of the cats made a leap from the loft to the top of the cookstove . . trouble was, the stove had a fire in it . . cat never did that again.

We had 40 acres there at Talkeetna . . no road to it when we bought the land . . bought an old International TD 18 'dozer and made a road with it . . over a quarter mile . .
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 11455 times
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin