Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Typhoon wrote:.

From superfluids to the ordinary.

Nature | Destabilizing turbulence in pipe flow

Abstract
Turbulence is the major cause of friction losses in transport processes and it is responsible for a drastic drag increase in flows over bounding surfaces. While much effort is invested into developing ways to control and reduce turbulence intensities 1,2,3, so far no methods exist to altogether eliminate turbulence if velocities are sufficiently large. We demonstrate for pipe flow that appropriate distortions to the velocity profile lead to a complete collapse of turbulence and subsequently friction losses are reduced by as much as 90%. . . .

A remarkable result with enormous practical applications.

Thanx ..

Heracleum Persicum

Postby Typhoon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 am

Dorigo | Gravitational Effects Explain Muon Magnetic Moment Anomaly Away

If these calculations are correct, then it is another nail in the coffin of possible physics "beyond the Standard Model".
Surprisingly due to a subtle effect of gravity.

Wikipedia | Anomalous magnetic dipole moment
All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby noddy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:00 am

nifty.
noddy

Postby Typhoon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 am

All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby Simple Minded » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Very impressive. Not just the technology, but also the intelligence, patience, funding, and the persistence necessary to build. No doubt tens of millions of man-hours needed to manufacture the components.

It is like looking at a modern automobile and being impressed, and then realizing the really impressive technology is the production equipment required to manufacture the car.

Final product is the tip of the iceberg. Lots of cultural appropriation necessary.
"Are you watching me musterbate? You insensitive pervert!"
Simple Minded

Postby Typhoon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm

All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby Typhoon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 pm

Simple Minded wrote:

Very impressive. Not just the technology, but also the intelligence, patience, funding, and the persistence necessary to build. No doubt tens of millions of man-hours needed to manufacture the components.

It is like looking at a modern automobile and being impressed, and then realizing the really impressive technology is the production equipment required to manufacture the car.

Final product is the tip of the iceberg. Lots of cultural appropriation necessary.

Indeed. I'm reminded of Milton Friedman's observation of the challenge of manufacturing something as simple as a lead [graphite] pencil from scratch.
All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby Simple Minded » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:13 am

Typhoon wrote:
Indeed. I'm reminded of Milton Friedman's observation of the challenge of manufacturing something as simple as a lead [graphite] pencil from scratch.

that's why I cringe when I hear SJW's or politicians talking about means of production/distribution or what is fair, or what something should cost. Left to their own devices, their lifespan would be measured in days.

As per Parodite's post on micro-aggressions, on one side of the divide you have the dude in Costa Rica mixing concrete in the wheelbarrow..... and on the other side of the divide you have "intellectuals" talking about how unfair it all is and that they don't need the deplorables who actually make stuff that enables their privileged lifestyles.
Simple Minded

Postby Typhoon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 am

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

that's why I cringe when I hear SJW's or politicians talking about means of production/distribution or what is fair, or what something should cost. Left to their own devices, their lifespan would be measured in days.

Or environmental activists protesting fossil fuels while wearing the latest in synthetic outdoor wear manufactured from nat gas as a feedstock.

Simple Minded wrote:As per Parodite's post on micro-aggressions, on one side of the divide you have the dude in Costa Rica mixing concrete in the wheelbarrow..... and on the other side of the divide you have "intellectuals" talking about how unfair it all is and that they don't need the deplorables who actually make stuff that enables their privileged lifestyles.

It is remarkable how many of the chattering classes have no understanding whatsoever of the infrastructure of the industrial society in which they live:
what it took to achieve and what it takes to maintain it.

Reminds one of the Eloi and Morlochs of H. G. Wells, The Time Machine.
All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby Simple Minded » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Agreed. I like the analogy of the Eloi and Morlochs. I need to re-read that classic.

Amazing what belief systems ignorance can lead one to adopt.

Two weeks ago I got into a discussion with a couple of New Age, touchy feely friends who believe in Climate Change. The look on my face must have said it all, since one replied "You think it's BS don't you?" I responded with "Of course, it's BS, just due to the claimed accuracy of measurement. Not only do the "scientists" claim they can measure the Earth temperature to 0.1 degree now, with modern technology, but they claim they can also retroactively do the same for thousands of years in the past." They frowned. :(

Then I asked my usual question of have they ever used a thermometer that can measure to within 0.1 degree. Answer was, of course, no (the answer always is "no" from the True Believers). So I suggested they buy one and then try to measure the temperature of even the smallest room in their house accurately to 0.1 degree over the relatively short time period of one hour. They looked puzzled (they always do). :?

Naturally, they immediately turned the topic of the conversation to Western civilization privilege, Western abuse of the environment, and the unfairness of wealth inequality both in the US and world wide. Their intent was that those were supporting data points for the argument that Climate Change is valid science.

Amusing. It never fails. The belief in "Climate Change" is synonymous to the belief of "Life is unfair." In my experience of talking to the True Believers, the two belief systems can't be separated. I think most politicians use a similar thought process to rationalize their meddling.

Funny how often some try to use "science" to support their personal prejudices....... It's a damn shame "physics" doesn't give a damn about our feelings. :(
Simple Minded

Previous

Return to Science + Technology