Cell Phones

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Hoosiernorm

Cell Phones

Post by Hoosiernorm »

I swear I can't figure out which cell phone platform to use. I'm looking at the Google phones and the Apple phones but don't want to get a platform that is incorrect for my usage. I purchased a Blackberry a few months ago, it was a great way to enter the smart phone market but man the apps are really limited. I want the Iphone but don't want to fork out the cash for one, even with an upgrade they are a bit expensive for my tastes. The Samsung Galaxy S 2 is a bit easier on the wallet but man that thing is so darn thin I worry about breaking it. I'm also considering the music platforms Itunes vs Amazon and other issues such as camera platforms. I was wondering what any of you folks are using or have used and regretted.
Been busy doing stuff
noddy

Re: Cell Phones

Post by noddy »

iphone vs droid is personal taste dependent.. i prefer droid because i prefer a less controlled system, neither will be bad.

with music i refuse to participate in a closed ecosystem and they all play mp3's fine.

from my perspective all the cameras are equally average, the megapixel counts are lies as they all are really 2mp which is fine for email/facebook et all if thats all your looking for... ghastly oversaturated pictures with hipster effects seems to be the fashion o the moment.

the only one with a camera thats interesting is the nokia pureview but the rest of that platform is crap, so feh ;)
ultracrepidarian
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Man I have spent the last few days actually trying to figure out how to what I want to do with the blackberry. It all seems to work as well for what I need it to do. It is not a user friendly device for certain. I did not know that there was a pc desktop control that allows a lot of features to be both downloaded and set up for the device. I now have music from my Itunes account and have spend the last evening downloading most of my CD's into a digital format (Yes I know that I'm 100 years behind everyone else).

Hell I might keep the BB, the kids have no interest in it at all and I don't have any games there for them to play to run my battery down every day.
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Over the past week I have met more people who have the android platform and have been able to show me the functionality of their phones. I really think I'm going to get an android phone, but I am not sure which one yet. The Galaxy SII is really in my price range right now and don't see any difference between it and the S III phone beyond the size of the screen (They are both huge) and the Android Platform 2.3 vs 4.0. The expanded memory capacity and functionality were the deal breaker against the Iphone. I was amazed at the reviews on the Iphone 5 that explained everything that was addressed as failures in the 4 and the 4S models the 4 was too soft and scratched easily and the 4S was too brittle and broke easily and cracked quite often. The 4 processor was basically junk and the 4S was just faster junk with a better battery life.
Been busy doing stuff
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Hoosiernorm wrote:.

Over the past week I have met more people who have the android platform and have been able to show me the functionality of their phones. I really think I'm going to get an android phone, but I am not sure which one yet. The Galaxy SII is really in my price range right now and don't see any difference between it and the S III phone beyond the size of the screen (They are both huge) and the Android Platform 2.3 vs 4.0. The expanded memory capacity and functionality were the deal breaker against the Iphone. I was amazed at the reviews on the Iphone 5 that explained everything that was addressed as failures in the 4 and the 4S models the 4 was too soft and scratched easily and the 4S was too brittle and broke easily and cracked quite often. The 4 processor was basically junk and the 4S was just faster junk with a better battery life.

I have a Samsung S II since a year .. excellent phone .. and .. often does the job of my laptop

just one negative

the battery life is too short

Reason for that is, 85% of battery consumption is the monitor (crisp, sharp .. better than iPhone)

I am buying a Samsung S III .. and .. I am going to buy a Backup External Battery Pack Charger with Embedded Micro-USB and Flashlight

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I might wait and see what reviews the Samsung and Nokia s-phones, with Windows 8, receive, among others.

I think it might be appealing to have the same OS on my laptop and phone.

As for Apple, the only thing I regret is that I did not buy their stock years ago. Have to admire their marketing and litigation prowess, unlike their products.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Yeah I ended up getting the darn iPhone 4S I couldn't not beat the deal it's an amazing phone I just posted everything that was typed there by speaking into the phone I cannot believe the functionality of the iPhone
Been busy doing stuff
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I handed my brother my blackberry bold 9billionorsomething (he broke his android) and got myself an iPhone 4S.

I don't care for apple and I am not the most technical minded but I've heard that the iphone had a very good sound quality making it perfect for recording audio. And to that end it is awesome. I've been fooling around with the different free apps- got this 4-track recorder, and I've been going crazy with it. :P The sound quality, considering what is there to work with is pretty amazing and perfect for fleshing out ideas.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Gizmo | ZTE Hoping to Launch Mozilla Phone Early 2013

HTML5 WebOS.

Presumably to have a lawsuit-free option.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I handed my brother my blackberry bold 9billionorsomething (he broke his android) and got myself an iPhone 4S.

I don't care for apple and I am not the most technical minded but I've heard that the iphone had a very good sound quality making it perfect for recording audio. And to that end it is awesome. I've been fooling around with the different free apps- got this 4-track recorder, and I've been going crazy with it. :P The sound quality, considering what is there to work with is pretty amazing and perfect for fleshing out ideas.
My kids love the phone, my daughter went to school and told everyone that she had the coolest Dad ever. She can now watch her "Sonic Plush Adventures" on youtube without a wifi connection. I think the deciding factor was which platform we were continuing with. They are getting an Ipad for Christmas this year (We have a Kindle Fire already but it has no camera or recording capabilities). My wife is using my blackberry but wanted to go with the Iphone when her contract was up next year and I didn't want the odd piece of equipment that didn't work with everything else.
Been busy doing stuff