Biology and Medicine

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Simple Minded

Re: Biology and Medicine

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Amen. two dogs & four cats, the wife and I enjoy their company. the dogs and cats enjoy each other's company much more than most city dwellers.

With any luck, in the next few months, I will be successful in training our younger dog as a therapy dog. she has the right temperament, hopefully I can clear that bar.

watching her experience the joy of running on rough terrain for a couple hours while hiking is one of our therapeutic activities

a bit of time each week in places where therapy dogs are appreciated should be all it takes to change my whiney moods to appreciation.

:D Mucho thanks for that!

dogs possess intelligence, empathy, and tact to a level that few appreciate.

I'm always impressed when sitting alone in a room with one of my dogs and they let out an audible fart.

Never fails, they turn around and look behind them, then with a quizzical expression, they look you straight in the eye as if to say "Did you hear that? Who did that?"

Sophisticated social skills indeed!
Parodite

Tinnitus - what the Beep

Post by Parodite »

Already for some years I have this high pitched tone "in my ears", and err it is getting worse and hard to ignore since it is always there except maybe in a 110+db disco. Very common but no cure in sight.

Interesting theory on the hows: Tuning out the noise: Limbic-auditory interactions in tinnitus

So many correlates there. Interesting. Good reason to warn people for too much noise..once the damage in the mid ear is done it won't recover and a matter of time before the poor brain looses its ability to filter unwanted noises out and tinnitus kicks in as a result.

Also interesting tinnitus as a phantom phenomena, "phantom noise", similar to phantom pain in an amputated arm.

Rl2LwnaUA-k

Maybe a similar trick he invented with his mirror in a box for a paralyzed and painful phantom arm can be designed for tinnitus? :roll:
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

New bionic eye implant connects directly to brain

The neurosurgeon, Nader Pouratian, is Iranian

Simple Minded

Re: Tinnitus - what the Beep

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Already for some years I have this high pitched tone "in my ears", and err it is getting worse and hard to ignore since it is always there except maybe in a 110+db disco. Very common but no cure in sight.

Interesting theory on the hows: Tuning out the noise: Limbic-auditory interactions in tinnitus

So many correlates there. Interesting. Good reason to warn people for too much noise..once the damage in the mid ear is done it won't recover and a matter of time before the poor brain looses its ability to filter unwanted noises out and tinnitus kicks in as a result.

Also interesting tinnitus as a phantom phenomena, "phantom noise", similar to phantom pain in an amputated arm.

Rl2LwnaUA-k

Maybe a similar trick he invented with his mirror in a box for a paralyzed and painful phantom arm can be designed for tinnitus? :roll:
Very interesting. I have a bit of ringing once in a while, not severe enough to be a problem.
No cure in sight... for tinnitus? You really know how to craft a sentence. ;)

Have you tried acupuncture or hypnosis?

My wife has said for years that with the loud car stereos that kids buy, hearing loss will be very prevalent in the future. It won't surprise me if earbuds make it even more common.

An elderly friend who was achieving family information, noted the extremely small text in a newspaper from the early 1800's. She said "Who could ever read this?" I replied, "Well, most people did not live very long back then, so obviously that text was considered large enough."

:shock: Crap, I think we're all living past our "sell by" dates.

I wish you the best.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Thanks Bro. Yea maybe I should just try things to get the beep out of my head, it is exhausting and debilitating. Maybe some "phantom placebo" could do the trick? :P

Read some while go that oxytocin appears to reduce tinnitus. The natural bonding-love drug. Testosteron and stress hormones are the enemies of oxytocin. Hmmm Maybe I should grow some breasts.

While we expire beyond the legal expiration date, 8 november is coming!

Cheers
noddy

Post by noddy »

Oxycodone also reduces the ability to give a lavender.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

noddy wrote:Oxycodone also reduces the ability to give a lavender.
I prefer the opium pipe.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Thanks Bro. Yea maybe I should just try things to get the beep out of my head, it is exhausting and debilitating. Maybe some "phantom placebo" could do the trick? :P

Read some while go that oxytocin appears to reduce tinnitus. The natural bonding-love drug. Testosteron and stress hormones are the enemies of oxytocin. Hmmm Maybe I should grow some breasts.

While we expire beyond the legal expiration date, 8 november is coming!

Cheers
Seriously. Tinnitus is a mysterious aliment. Try some acupuncture and hypnosis with no research whatsoever. You may be pleasantly surprised.

On a lighter note, try putting some breast implant silicone in your ears. Even if it does not work, it will be fun, and wearing those Pamela Anderson ear muffs around town would be a great ice breaker. ;)
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:
I prefer the opium pipe.

I will send you some virtual red silk pajamas for Christmas.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Parodite wrote:
I prefer the opium pipe.

I will send you some virtual red silk pajamas for Christmas.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

What the trees say - Thomas Pakenham, New York Review of Books, 8 December 2016
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/12 ... trees-say/

Review of:

The Long, Long Life of Trees by Fiona Stafford (Yale University Press)

The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate-- Discoveries from a Secret World
by Peter Wohlleben, translated from the German by Jane Billinghurst (Greystone David Suzuki Institute)

Peter Wohlleben’s The Hidden Life of Trees breaks entirely new ground, and John Evelyn would have been delighted with his discoveries. Wohlleben is a professional forester who works for the local community in Hümmel, a small village in the Eifel Mountains of western Germany. For years he managed the forest of beech, oak, pines, and spruce on conventional lines, felling the trees for their timber when they were mature and extracting the logs with heavy machinery. As he puts it, he “knew about as much about the hidden life of trees as a butcher knows about the emotional life of animals.” But gradually he came to look at the trees in a new light. Visitors, he noticed, would admire the trees he dismissed as of little commercial value: the more crooked and gnarled the trees, the better they liked them. His own love of nature, a relic of childhood, was reignited. He began to notice bizarre root shapes and strange patterns of growth. He writes, “Suddenly, I was aware of countless wonders I could hardly explain even to myself.”

Meanwhile new generations of scientists were exploring his local forest, including a team from Aachen University. And both there and in the university in Vancouver, five thousand miles away in British Columbia, discoveries were made that astounded Wohlleben.

What both teams discovered was nothing less than a vast underground network, called a mycorrhiza, in which fungi connect trees of different species by passing chemical and electrical signals among the trees’ roots. It was an arboreal Internet—christened the “wood wide web.” Trees could actually communicate by exchanging carbon through their roots. The exchange offered mutual support. Carbon is the food of trees, created by photosynthesis, using the leaves as solar panels. Sometimes one tree would act as mother to its neighbors, giving them more carbon than it received in return. Later the debt would be repaid as the roles were reversed.

As the subtleties of this underground network were explored, it became clear to scientists that trees not only benefited by mutual exchange of food. They exchanged vital information, warning their neighbors (and children) of threats and advising them of opportunities to seize. For example, if a tree’s leaves are bitten by a caterpillar, it will send a message though the mycorrhiza, prompting other trees in the network to release chemicals that repel caterpillars. ...
Doc

Post by Doc »

Thought there was a thread for this But good news where ever I post it.

Canada and teh US Army gives teh world a wonderful Christmas present !!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/healt ... ccine.html
New Ebola Vaccine Gives 100 Percent Protection
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

The Paperfuge

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

isMYGtCFljc
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quanta Mag | In Newly Created Life-Form, a Major Mystery
Scientists have created a synthetic organism that possesses only the genes it needs to survive. But they have no idea what roughly a third of those genes do.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Re: The Paperfuge

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:isMYGtCFljc
never, ever, ever, underestimate redneck thinking/engineering when it is time to...... Git-R-Done!

I've been in lots of meetings where the really smart people are stumped, and some blue collar dude who can barely speak properly relates a tale of "well, if we was down on the farm, or stuck out in the swamp, whad I'd do is......"

Synchronicity and teamwork. Nothing is more fun than a no holds barred, no rules brainstorming session!
kmich

Post by kmich »

Epidemiological characteristics, safety and efficacy of medical cannabis in the elderly
Highlights

• The most common indications for cannabis in the elderly were pain and cancer.
• At six months of cannabis treatment, 93.7% reported improvement in their condition.
• At six months of treatment, the number of reported falls was significantly reduced.
• Medical cannabis decreased the use of prescription medicines, including opioids.

Abstract

• Introduction

There is a substantial growth in the use of medical cannabis in recent years and with the aging of the population, medical cannabis is increasingly used by the elderly. We aimed to assess the characteristics of elderly people using medical cannabis and to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the treatment.

• Methods

A prospective study that included all patients above 65 years of age who received medical cannabis from January 2015 to October 2017 in a specialized medical cannabis clinic and were willing to answer the initial questionnaire. Outcomes were pain intensity, quality of life and adverse events at six months.

• Results

During the study period, 2736 patients above 65 years of age began cannabis treatment and answered the initial questionnaire. The mean age was 74.5 ± 7.5 years. The most common indications for cannabis treatment were pain (66.6%) and cancer (60.8%). After six months of treatment, 93.7% of the respondents reported improvement in their condition and the reported pain level was reduced from a median of 8 on a scale of 0–10 to a median of 4. Most common adverse events were: dizziness (9.7%) and dry mouth (7.1%). After six months, 18.1% stopped using opioid analgesics or reduced their dose.

• Conclusion

Our study finds that the therapeutic use of cannabis is safe and efficacious in the elderly population. Cannabis use may decrease the use of other prescription medicines, including opioids. Gathering more evidence-based data, including data from double-blind randomized-controlled trials, in this special population is imperative.
Prospective analysis of safety and efficacy of medical cannabis in large unselected population of patients with cancer
• Methods

We analyzed the data routinely collected as part of the treatment program of 2970 cancer patients treated with medical cannabis between 2015 and 2017.

• Results

The average age was 59.5 ± 16.3 years, 54.6% women and 26.7% of the patients reported previous experience with cannabis. The most frequent types of cancer were: breast (20.7%), lung (13.6%), pancreatic (8.1%) and colorectal (7.9%) with 51.2% being at stage 4. The main symptoms requiring therapy were: sleep problems (78.4%), pain (77.7%, median intensity 8/10), weakness (72.7%), nausea (64.6%) and lack of appetite (48.9%). After six months of follow up, 902 patients (24.9%) died and 682 (18.8%) stopped the treatment. Of the remaining, 1211 (60.6%) responded; 95.9% reported an improvement in their condition, 45 patients (3.7%) reported no change and four patients (0.3%) reported deterioration in their medical condition.

• Conclusions

Cannabis as a palliative treatment for cancer patients seems to be well tolerated, effective and safe option to help patients cope with the malignancy related symptoms.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Scientists warn of potential serious health effects of 5G (pdf)
September 13, 2017

We the undersigned, more than 180 scientists and doctors from 35 countries, recommend a moratorium
on the roll-out of the fifth generation, 5G, for telecommunication until potential hazards for human
health and the environment have been fully investigated by scientists independent from industry. 5G
will substantially increase exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (RF-EMF) on top of the 2G,
3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, etc. for telecommunications already in place. RF-EMF has been proven to be harmful for
humans and the environment.

[...]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

5G operates at a frequency of 15GHz which is stll orders of magnitude below that of potentially harmful ionizing radiation.

If this claim had any merit, then life on earth would be dead from the much higher frequency visible light.
Higher frequency invisible UV light is what gives one a tan and in excess may result in skin cancer.

Tl;dr: People in industrialized nations have been "soaked" in EM waves with frequencies from power lines to radio for nearly a century and TV and microwaves for nearly half a century [not microwave ovens, which are designed to prevent EM leakage] yet life expectancy in these nations has been steadily rising.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:5G operates at a frequency of 15GHz which is stll orders of magnitude below that of potentially harmful ionizing radiation.

If this claim had any merit, then life on earth would be dead from the much higher frequency visible light.
Higher frequency invisible UV light is what gives one a tan and in excess may result in skin cancer.

Tl;dr: People in industrialized nations have been "soaked" in EM waves with frequencies from power lines to radio for nearly a century and TV and microwaves for nearly half a century [not microwave ovens, which are designed to prevent EM leakage] yet life expectancy in these nations has been steadily rising.

From the petition:
1 Avoid similar mistakes as when the Commission (2008/721/EC) appointed industry supportive members for SCENIHR, who submitted to EU a misleading SCENIHR report on health risks,
giving telecom industry a clean bill to irradiate EU-citizens. The report is now quoted by radiation safety agencies in EU
The only Radio frequency study I am aware of showing health effects in General was a study that looked at autism in children within a mile of AM Radio towers. Which can broadcast at 50,000 watts. There was a small correlation found. Otherwise it has been found that a 1K Hertz magnetic field applied to the head of people suffering from Bi Polar disorder claim they "feel better" with the field applied.

Also maybe it is my bad eyesight but there seems to be an error in the upper Graph. It is labeled as "Wavelengths in meters" when it should be "Millimeters" at the microwave lenght
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:5G operates at a frequency of 15GHz which is stll orders of magnitude below that of potentially harmful ionizing radiation.

From the petition:
1 Avoid similar mistakes as when the Commission (2008/721/EC) appointed industry supportive members for SCENIHR, who submitted to EU a misleading SCENIHR report on health risks,
giving telecom industry a clean bill to irradiate EU-citizens. The report is now quoted by radiation safety agencies in EU
They're full of it.
Doc wrote:The only Radio frequency study I am aware of showing health effects in General was a study that looked at autism in children within a mile of AM Radio towers. Which can broadcast at 50,000 watts. There was a small correlation found.
Poor study design and statistical analysis.
Doc wrote:Otherwise it has been found that a 1K Hertz magnetic field applied to the head of people suffering from Bi Polar disorder claim they "feel better" with the field applied.
Placebo effect?
Doc wrote:Also maybe it is my bad eyesight but there seems to be an error in the upper Graph. It is labeled as "Wavelengths in meters" when it should be "Millimeters" at the microwave lenght
The chart is correct. 10^(-2) m or 1 cm. The "-" is admittedly faint.
Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths ranging from one meter to one millimeter; with frequencies between 300 MHz (100 cm) and 300 GHz (1 mm).

Different sources define different frequency ranges as microwaves; the above broad definition includes both UHF and EHF (millimeter wave) bands.

A more common definition in radio engineering is the range between 1 and 100 GHz (wavelengths between 300 and 3 mm).
Your microwave oven operates at 2.45 GHz; a wavelength of 12.2 cm.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

This is the version I see a lot.....'>......:

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

+1
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Thanks for that. Was skeptical and if it didn't belong to the junk science thread. But thought lets give this impressive list of worried scientists the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I shouldn't have. ;) Anything with the stamp EU on it is reason for worry.