Rise of the Robots | Machine Learning

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Taboo

Re: Rise of the Robots

Post by Taboo »

Milo, you do realize of course that this weaponized quadrotor or quadrotorized weapon is just a fun 3D animation, don't you?

It is a bit disingenuous to present it on a thread about real robots (the sandflea) without any commentary.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Taboo wrote:Milo, you do realize of course that this weaponized quadrotor or quadrotorized weapon is just a fun 3D animation, don't you?

It is a bit disingenuous to present it on a thread about real robots (the sandflea) without any commentary.
Seriously? Damn!!! I hope I can get my money back....
Milo

Post by Milo »

Simple Minded wrote:
Taboo wrote:Milo, you do realize of course that this weaponized quadrotor or quadrotorized weapon is just a fun 3D animation, don't you?

Seriously? Damn!!! I hope I can get my money back....
I had heard that, and also that it wasn't. However, even if it's totally fake, all of the components work: gun, copter and RC App. It would seem that the obstacles to building such a thing are pretty trivial.
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Except that
1) Machine guns are actually pretty heavy, heavier than a little quadrotor can lift. Also, the animation machinegun has no magazine. Add bullets, and extra fuel to carry it all.
2) Recoil would be significant.
3) The utterly amazing guidance control from a tablet.

So yes, everything except the machine gun, the guidance, and the rotor not turning over when firing its weightless heavy machine gun ;)

On the other hand it should be easy to build a use-and-discard one-bullet hunter-killer. :twisted:
Milo

Post by Milo »

Taboo wrote:Except that
1) Machine guns are actually pretty heavy, heavier than a little quadrotor can lift. Also, the animation machinegun has no magazine. Add bullets, and extra fuel to carry it all.
2) Recoil would be significant.
3) The utterly amazing guidance control from a tablet.

So yes, everything except the machine gun, the guidance, and the rotor not turning over when firing its weightless heavy machine gun ;)

On the other hand it should be easy to build a use-and-discard one-bullet hunter-killer. :twisted:
Indeed! And, once you bake in some mass production, which should be easy; you could crank them out by the hundreds (as many as you need probably) on demand.

I agree that robots don't need funerals ;-)

And in addition to bullets, one could see missiles, even guided ones, being fitted to this platform!

Next opportunity, one should send a whole potpourri of them out, and ramp up on the ones that work :twisted:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mori | The Uncanny Valley
IEEE Editor's note: More than 40 years ago, Masahiro Mori, then a robotics professor at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, wrote an essay on how he envisioned people's reactions to robots that looked and acted almost human. In particular, he hypothesized that a person's response to a humanlike robot would abruptly shift from empathy to revulsion as it approached, but failed to attain, a lifelike appearance. This descent into eeriness is known as the uncanny valley. The essay appeared in an obscure Japanese journal called Energy in 1970, and in subsequent years it received almost no attention. More recently, however, the concept of the uncanny valley has rapidly attracted interest in robotics and other scientific circles as well as in popular culture. Some researchers have explored its implications for human-robot interaction and computer-graphics animation, while others have investigated its biological and social roots. Now interest in the uncanny valley should only intensify, as technology evolves and researchers build robots that look increasingly human. Though copies of Mori's essay have circulated among researchers, a complete version hasn't been widely available. This is the first publication of an English translation that has been authorized and reviewed by Mori.
Masahiro Mori Interview
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:More than 40 years ago, Masahiro Mori, then a robotics professor at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, wrote an essay on how he envisioned people's reactions to robots that looked and acted almost human. In particular, he hypothesized that a person's response to a humanlike robot would abruptly shift from empathy to revulsion as it approached, but failed to attain, a lifelike appearance.
Hmmm..... I think a lot of people fit this description... "almost human...."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

So what would creep you out more?

A robot who is all most human.......
or
A robot who is all too human.......

and why do children cost more than robots.....?
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Simple Minded wrote:and why do children cost more than robots.....?
Because we are willing to spend it on our children.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

ZKOI_lVDPpw
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://www.telospress.com/main/index.ph ... b289c87dd9
The cover of the most recent issue of The Economist reads: "Morals and the machine: Teaching robots right from wrong." A short piece in the magazine states: "As robots become more autonomous, the notion of computer-controlled machines facing ethical decisions is moving out of the realm of science fiction and into the real world. Society needs to find ways to ensure that they are better equipped to make moral judgments." Moreover, as robots "become smarter and more widespread, autonomous machines are bound to end up making life-or-death decisions in unpredictable situations, thus assuming—or at least appearing to assume—moral agency."
Been busy doing stuff
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

I can prove that computers are rapidly approaching human intelligence and ability.

When a deep learning 'bot was turned loose on the internet, the first thing it decided to do was look at pictures of cats.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing wrote:I can prove that computers are rapidly approaching human intelligence and ability.

When a deep learning 'bot was turned loose on the internet, the first thing it decided to do was look at pictures of cats.
Too funny.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

3nxjjztQKtY
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Damn. They already got us beat at rock- paper- scissors. This does not bode well for hand to hand confrontations.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-1000-us-government-906/

Just build your own robot to perform or at least defend against Rock Paper Scissors.
Been busy doing stuff
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

But can a robot cope with rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock?
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
noddy

Post by noddy »

it has a high speed camera and an excellent and fast pattern recognition system, it is excellence in optimization.

our pattern recogintion algorithms are getting excellent and they are part of the framework for doing AI but.......
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:I can prove that computers are rapidly approaching human intelligence and ability.

Too funny.
GIGO.... or not at all surprising?

"Humans never manage to create a god superior to themselves! Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child!"

Why would we expect "smart" robots to be otherwise....

So much for the ideal of the worker's paradise of robots riding to the rescue of leisure focused humans.....

They'll be surfing the net while the Elois starve..... seems like justice....

STOP EXPLOITING MACHINES!!!!
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... hics-code/
The drone industry on Monday unveiled its first-ever “code of conduct” policy, designed to protect the privacy of those on the ground and ensure the sector adheres to safety standards as the popularity and usage of unmanned aerial vehicles continue to grow.

Released by the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, the guidelines focus on three principals: safety, professionalism and respect. They include promises that the industry will properly test all drones before flight, comply with all laws governing aircraft, respect the privacy of individuals and work to better educate the public.

“Acceptance and adherence to this code will contribute to safety and professionalism and will accelerate public confidence in these systems,” the association said in a statement.

Unmanned aerial vehicles, now used by the military, law enforcement and government agencies, will be available for commercial use by 2015. Better known as drones, the aircraft have raised a number of privacy concerns.

Ranchers in the Midwest, for example, continue to protest the use of drones by the Environmental Protection Agency to spy on their operations.
Newspapers owned by competitors will write horrible articles about civilian deaths and the new drone technology committee will set new guidelines for mandatory upgrades to the engagement capacity and payloads of the devices
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://motls.blogspot.com/2012/07/uk-en ... nitor.html

U.K.: energy smart meters will monitor your sex habits
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Midwest ranchers have never been enamored with environmental regulators, but they really began to complain after learning that federal inspectors were flying over their land to look for problems.
The Environmental Protection Agency flies over power plants and other facilities nationwide to identify potential air, water and land pollution. It began using aerial surveillance in the Midwest in 2010 to check farms for violations of federal clean water regulations.
Ranchers who object to the program said they're not trying to hide anything. It's the quiet approach the EPA took with the program designed to spot illegal disposal of animal waste that they find upsetting. Most were not even aware of the flyovers until regional EPA officials mentioned it at a meeting three months ago.
Link to AP
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

It took a few seconds to figure out exactly what we were looking at. A white S.U.V. traveling along a highway adjacent to the base came into the cross hairs in the center of the screen and was tracked as it headed south along the desert road. When the S.U.V. drove out of the picture, the drone began following another car.

“Wait, you guys practice tracking enemies by using civilian cars?” a reporter asked. One Air Force officer responded that this was only a training mission, and then the group was quickly hustled out of the room.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/magaz ... wanted=all
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Atlantic | The Post-Employee Economy: Why Sky-High Profits Are Here to Stay
The end of the age of consumption and the decreasing need for labor are more related than you think.
And while until now these job-destroying forces have mostly been confined to the goods-producing and information sectors, it looks like the next wave is going to hit much broader in the service sector. As nascent technologies like IBM's Watson show, everyone from bankers to retail workers to health-care and education workers are at risk. "Long IBM, short labor" is a trade that should work for years barring government policy changes.
noddy

Post by noddy »

get cracking, ai canna build itself (yet)

http://whatsthebigdata.com/2012/04/26/a ... a-science/
ultracrepidarian