Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Hoosiernorm

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, and Autos

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Antipatros wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Antipatros wrote:Antonov 225 Arriving in Calgary March 13 2012

toYvIDRFp1k
too cool! prior to wathing this I was impressed that an A-10 Warthog was able to stay airborne at what seems like 30 mph.
I didn't get to see the Antonov myself, and it only comes in here every few years (principally to ferry oil and gas equipment to other continents, in this case Africa). The current* main runway at YYC is 12,600 feet, and apparently it took the whole thing to get that pig of an aircraft airborne again.

*14,000 ft. runway is in the works.
That would be even more impressive if that landing was fully loaded. Where are you located?

Our company AREVA, has hired them to transport nuclear reactor vessel closure heads. No where near the weight capacity of 550,000 lbs according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Bottom Line | Get with the times: You're driving all wrong.
As cars have become safer over the years, "the steering wheel and associated mechanisms (have) changed dramatically," it says, meaning the familiar driving maneuvers "needed to turn the wheel have all changed." Principal among the changes is the incorporation of airbag modules in the steering column, which are designed to deploy upward to protect your head and chest.

That means the higher up the wheel your hands are, the more likely they are to be directly over the plastic cover when it opens — that is, when superhot nitrogen gas flashes and inflates the bag at 150 to 250 mph.

Among the injuries the NHTSA reports from improper placement of the hands when an airbag deploys are amputations of fingers or entire hands, traumatic fractures and a particularly stomach-churning injury called "degloving," which — trust us — you definitely don't want to look up.

AAA says the bags can also slam your hands directly into your head, causing broken noses and concussions.

"If the bag is going to go, it's going to take my hand and put it into my face — either one of my hands," Bob Hendrickson, head of AAA's network of driving schools in central Indiana, told NBC station WTHR of Indianapolis.

Experts also say new research in ergonomics suggests that what's called "parallel position" makes for safer driving in general.
:!:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Bottom Line | Get with the times: You're driving all wrong.
As cars have become safer over the years, "the steering wheel and associated mechanisms (have) changed dramatically," it says, meaning the familiar driving maneuvers "needed to turn the wheel have all changed." Principal among the changes is the incorporation of airbag modules in the steering column, which are designed to deploy upward to protect your head and chest.

That means the higher up the wheel your hands are, the more likely they are to be directly over the plastic cover when it opens — that is, when superhot nitrogen gas flashes and inflates the bag at 150 to 250 mph.

Among the injuries the NHTSA reports from improper placement of the hands when an airbag deploys are amputations of fingers or entire hands, traumatic fractures and a particularly stomach-churning injury called "degloving," which — trust us — you definitely don't want to look up.

AAA says the bags can also slam your hands directly into your head, causing broken noses and concussions.

"If the bag is going to go, it's going to take my hand and put it into my face — either one of my hands," Bob Hendrickson, head of AAA's network of driving schools in central Indiana, told NBC station WTHR of Indianapolis.

Experts also say new research in ergonomics suggests that what's called "parallel position" makes for safer driving in general.
:!:
Great tip! thanks! Yet another example of the compromises inherrent in mandating standards.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Simple Minded wrote:
Antipatros wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Antipatros wrote:Antonov 225 Arriving in Calgary March 13 2012

toYvIDRFp1k
too cool! prior to wathing this I was impressed that an A-10 Warthog was able to stay airborne at what seems like 30 mph.
I didn't get to see the Antonov myself, and it only comes in here every few years (principally to ferry oil and gas equipment to other continents, in this case Africa). The current* main runway at YYC is 12,600 feet, and apparently it took the whole thing to get that pig of an aircraft airborne again.

*14,000 ft. runway is in the works.
That would be even more impressive if that landing was fully loaded. Where are you located?

Our company AREVA, has hired them to transport nuclear reactor vessel closure heads. No where near the weight capacity of 550,000 lbs according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225
I'm in Calgary. I don't think it delivered any cargo here, so the aircraft would have been essentially empty.

Will you get a chance to see the Antonov when it takes your company's cargo?
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

"They told us he was screaming things, saying to pray with him, 'We got Iraq. We got Iran,' " Mr. Heppes said.

Mr. Perfect

finally, seems, we found somebody with conscience

Looks to me, the poor Captain feels the pain of all those senseless killings

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

SgHSaNtAMjs

BBC - Top Gear | Dutchmen invent plausible flying car

[Given the date of the video upload, I thought this might be yet another flight prank, but perhaps it is real.]
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
AzariLoveIran

Aviation

Post by AzariLoveIran »

P8Y-uSR1krk
oKGZCo-BYjA
zhhPgSSNXQM
-yuRisGhrdA
cvLq3oWpCss
Azrael

E-Ship 1

Post by Azrael »

Columns are to assist with power; they do the work of sails. Operates via the Magnus effect.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

K4vCAC5RCWE
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Look to Lockheed for Leadership (ca. 1940)

http://archive.org/details/0545_Look_to ... Leadership

idFPNVa3QGM
Promotional film about Lockheed aircraft using test pilots and speed records to show how Lockheed is at the forefront of aviation technology. Wright Brothers, Amelia Earhart, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lindbergh and Howard Hughes are shown....

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AzariLoveIran

Flying Cars

Post by AzariLoveIran »

SgHSaNtAMjs

PAL-V

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:McpWcn-1RZU

Evacuated tube transport
Might not jibe with OSHA......
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Rare Titanic Film
UlwojjLEr4c

The Archive.org version is clearer and full length:

http://archive.org/details/RareTitanicFilm

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Dryden: 60 years of flight research

NIrt0L8O4cM
Milo

Post by Milo »

Self-driving cars. I call it railroads by stealth!

lXqxtWSzzAY
Azrael

SpaceX Launch

Post by Azrael »

Launch

Stage Separation

cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YkVgYtj4Pms
This video is a Japan Rail Kyushu commercial. It was created to commemorate the opening of the Kyushu Shinkansen on March 12 2011.
However, because of the earthquake on March 11, the broadcast was canceled.Was taken from a camera mounted on the train.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Volvo's self-drive 'convoy' hits the Spanish motorway

A convoy of self-driven cars has completed a 200km (125-mile) journey on a Spanish motorway, in the first public test of such vehicles.

The cars were wirelessly linked to each other and "mimicked" a lead vehicle, driven by a professional driver.

The so-called road train has been developed by Volvo. The firm is confident that they will be widely available in future.

The project aims to herald a new age of relaxed driving.

According to Volvo, drivers "can now work on their laptops, read a book or sit back and enjoy a relaxed lunch" while driving.

The road train test was carried out as part of a European Commission research project known as Sartre - Safe Road Trains for the Environment.

The convoy comprised three cars and one lorry.
Special features

"Driving among other road-users is a great milestone in our project. It was truly thrilling," says Linda Wahlstroem, project manager for the Sartre project at Volvo Car Corporation

"We covered 200km in one day and the test turned out well. We're really delighted," she added.

The cars are fitted with special features such as cameras, radar and laser sensors - allowing the vehicle to monitor the lead vehicle and also other vehicles in their immediate vicinity. Using wireless communication, the vehicles in the platoon "mimic" the lead vehicle using autonomous control - accelerating, braking and turning in exactly the same way as the leader.

The vehicles drove at 85kph (52mph) with the gap between each vehicle just 6m (19ft).

"People think that autonomous driving is science fiction, but the fact is that the technology is already here. From the purely conceptual viewpoint, it works fine and road train will be around in one form or another in the future," says Ms Wahlstroem.

"We've focused really hard on changing as little as possible in existing systems. Everything should function without any infrastructure changes to the roads or expensive additional components in the cars.

"Apart from the software developed as part of the project, it is really only the wireless network installed between the cars that set them apart from other cars available in showrooms today."

The three-year Sartre project has been under way since 2009. Other partners include UK car technology firm Ricardo UK, Tecnalia Research & Innovation of Spain, Institut fur Kraftfahrzeuge Aachen (IKA) of Germany and the Technical Research Institute of Sweden.

All told, the vehicles in the project have covered about 10,000km on test circuits.

The eventual aim of the project is to have lots of cars "slaved" to a lead vehicle and travelling at high speed along specific routes on motorways.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

bdUfzftGNQk

Evan Ackerman, Boeing's Chubby Hydrogen-Powered UAV Makes Its First Flight

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robo ... rst-flight
Most unmanned aerial vehicles are sleek, streamlined affairs that look like they belong in a science fiction movie. Not so with Boeing's Phantom Eye UAV: it's got long skinny wings sticking out of a body shaped like a chronically overfed gerbil. This is because it's stuffed full of hydrogen, allowing it to stay airborne for days at a time.

Phantom Eye is not a small aircraft: it's got a wingspan of 45 meters, and that gigantic belly it's got going on holds two about-half-as-gigantic tanks of hydrogen. With 200 kilograms of payload, Phantom Eye relies on all of this hydrogen to keep its engines and electronics running for days. Four days, that is, non-stop without having to land. Phantom Eye cruises up at 65,000 feet (about 20,000 meters), which is well above weather and any other aircraft, and Boeing plans to deploy it as a long-duration surveillance platform....

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Jalopnik | Why Russians Are Obsessed With Dash-Cams
поциент – "Patient." The poor bastard, the dumb durian in the video getting pulverized, run over or smashed into. A wordplay of "potz," the Russian translation of the Yiddish "schmuck."

летчик – "Pilot." The durian who zooms by and crashes in the grand finale of a video.

слабоумие и отвага – "Courage and dementia."

последние секунды жизни – "Last seconds of life." Videos featuring persons before and after fatal accidents.

кетай как всегда пиздец – "China is always fucked." Clips from China that feature severe crashes and frequently feature passerbys ignoring the bodies and car debris.

кирпичи – "Bricks" (as in "shitting bricks.") The audio track often features the driver panting or shouting the entire Russian vocabulary of swears at the top of their lungs. Used for videos with near misses or close shaves.

железобетонное очко – "Anus of Concrete." Honorific given to drivers who, faced with sudden danger like a huge truck coming head-on, remain calm, only saying "shoot" or "darn" quietly in the background, and efficiently steer away from danger, displaying some seriously genuflecting great driving skills.

наварра – The infamous video featuring a certain black Nissan Navarra pick-up swerving to the oncoming freightliner and being smashed into a cloud of small particles. The metaphor for a gruesome, intense, fatal accident.