Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Hoosiernorm

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, and Autos

Post by Hoosiernorm »

10 months at a time!! What did they do just pitch camp or abandon it for a period of time?
Been busy doing stuff
Azrael

Sikorsky X2

Post by Azrael »

vfggwmhcvC0
cultivate a white rose
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Hoosiernorm wrote:10 months at a time!! What did they do just pitch camp or abandon it for a period of time?
They explored and they acted as another RCMP detachment.

Across the Northwest Passage: The Larsen Expeditions

http://www.ucalgary.ca/arcticexpedition ... xpeditions
Crew forced to winter on island

The first passage began in Vancouver in June of 1940. Through the Bering Strait and across the north coast of Alaska, the St. Roch entered the Arctic Archipelago through Amundsen Gulf. However by September the passage had begun to freeze and the crew was forced to winter on the coast of Victoria Island. Traveling out by dog sled dressed in Inuit style caribou skins, the crew spent the winter exploring the surrounding area, often covering 30 to 40 miles in a day.

With the breakup in August 1941 the St. Roch continued its passage east. Through blizzards the vessel wound its way south of King William Island through the Franklin Strait and out into Lancaster Sound. On several occasions it seemed as though the ship would be crushed by the ice. When the situation looked perilous, the Inuit passengers would hurry to the forecastle to sing. When asked, they said they were singing to avoid being crushed - they were kindly asked to keep singing.

By October 1942 the vessel reached the Atlantic safely and was cruising off the coast of Nova Scotia, becoming the second vessel ever to complete the passage and having done so in only two-thirds the time of Amundsen and the Gjøa....
RCMP traverses the Northwest Passage in both directions

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/s ... story.html
During the Second World War, Canada made Northwest Passage history. An RCMP schooner called the St. Roch became the first ship to traverse the passage from west to east. This was also only the second time that the Northwest Passage had ever been crossed by sea. The Canadian ship then turned around and went the other way, making it the first ship to make the journey in both directions. Pat Hunt, the last surviving crew member to have made both trips, tells the CBC about the historic voyage in this 1976 radio clip.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

VCqnQq86fkY
In October of 2012, Felix Baumgartner will attempt a record-breaking freefall jump from 120,000 feet - 23 miles - above the earth as part of Red Bull Stratos: a mission to the edge of space. The attempt will take place near Roswell, NM, USA, and if successful, Felix Baumgartner could be the first person to break the speed of sound with his own body, protected only by a space suit. As no one has successfully jumped from this height before, it's uncertain what the highest supersonic freefall in history will look or feel like. This animated video gives us a sense of what to expect when the history-making jump takes place later this summer when the weather is best for a launch. A live webcast of the Red Bull Stratos 120,000 foot freefall will air on http://redbullstratos.com
The current record holder: Col. Joe Kittinger [ret.]

8V2ncwumv9o
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Pretty cool, but don't you have to now changed the name of this thread to Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats and Autos and Big Baloons that go really, really high up

Just sayin...
Typhoon

Re: Sikorsky X2

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:vfggwmhcvC0
Very cool.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

JXmBrD4b4EI
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:BBC - Paleofuturist | The quest to fly from New York to London in one hour

I so wish that this had become a reality.
It probably will become reality, in twenty or thirty years. Scram-jet technology is probably at the stage of development that turbo-jet technology had attained between Maxime Guillaume's patent in 1921 and the Heinkel He 178 circa 1939. So, I guess around 1930. :wink:
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

New test plane flies without flaps

Post by Azrael »

cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Power your car with [censored]

Post by Azrael »

A scientist at Ohio University has developed a catalyst capable of extracting hydrogen from urine. That’s right. Urine. Now you can fill one tank while draining another.

OPEC is going to be pissed.
cultivate a white rose
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Hrx_qg3L2IY
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

rHJMrYAE7H4
Azrael

Honda Jet

Post by Azrael »

cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Will be very interesting to see how it fares.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Why bicycles balance themselves

0E8P098RWXc

Still some surprises in this classical mechanics topic.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

ccTJrxVqw9g

Interesting, they do not use catapult .. you need really strong engine for that

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

uPnzkkZ4Zko

Snow on ice, the worst combination.

If I know I'm going to be driving in snow country, I switch to the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires and bring a set of snow chains.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

uphill? downhill? into the wind? with the wind?

I think more data may be needed......... :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
uphill? downhill? into the wind? with the wind?

I think more data may be needed......... :)
On a standard Marconi rigged sailboat, the fastest point of sail is with the wind abeam - perpendicular to the direction of motion.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Three rows of seats and two passenger doors. The Chevy Suburban. The vehicle of the future, circa 1941.
cultivate a white rose