Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Nonc Hilaire

Patent for triangular spacecraft.

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, and Autos

Post by Typhoon »

Air Space Mag | Secrets of the Skunk Works
Exclusive photographs of once-classified inventions from Lockheed’s famous brain trust.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center

Rare flight research videos. New upload from NASA.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

UsTIMxeO_ng

amazing.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

pcXnyTA5Rak
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

HJgMObLsUdE
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I wonder how he deals with speed wobbles.
Censorship isn't necessary
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

U.S. opened Pandora's Box
now anyone can deploy them.

By 2014, the U.S. Air Force was training more remote drone pilots than pilots for all of its warplanes combined.

Drones were once an exclusive technology of the United States, but it did not stay that way for long.

America’s military is, after all, the world’s largest, and a shift in its priorities toward drone warfare did not go unnoticed by the rest of the world. This has meant the rise of cheaper combat drone manufacturers in China, opening the technology up to arsenals around the world. Even cheaper civilian technology has also emerged, giving terrorist organizations access to their own makeshift fleets.

This is where it gets scary. Not surprising, mind you, but disturbing nonetheless.

Tech-savvy ISIS is now at the forefront of developing improvised military drones. Starting as America did with simple surveillance and modifying civilian camera drones using off-the-shelf components, ISIS quickly followed the American path of militarizing the drones.

Much like the improvised explosive devices (IEDs) that confounded our conventional forces on the battlefield, killing and wounding thousands of American soldiers over the last decade in Iraq and Afghanistan, the dramatically less resourced, “ragtag” insurgency is again using our own weapons against us.

It’s not that ISIS has a “drone program” as such. Rather, drones have become so ubiquitous, in no small part because of the American military’s substantial investment, that off-the-shelf options are everywhere, and little know-how is needed to modify retail drone solutions to drop explosives on enemy forces. The drones are so cheap that ISIS has at times decided even this isn’t necessary, and simply straps the explosives to drones and uses them as unmanned “suicide” bombers.

Many warned about America’s use of drones as a largely extra-judicial means of assassination. It was a dangerous precedent, and one that would inform nations and organizations around the world as they too embraced the killer technology. We all knew that someday the “bad guys” would get it too, maybe just not this soon.

Nations are now joining “the drone club” by the dozens, and militant groups are not far behind. Nations like Nigeria have embraced drones for killing on the cheap, and without the pesky oversight that comes from having an identifiable pilot. ISIS has been a proof of concept for unconventional drone warfare at what appears to be little cost. This has the Pentagon scrambling to develop anti-drone technology, and adding it to the world’s largest drone fleet.

But drone technology marches on at a rapid pace. Costly anti-drone weapons may appear on the battlefield and work for a time, but will likely function as air defense technology did, on a more rapid time frame: an endless cycle of improvements to circumvent defenses, and new defenses to take their place.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I wonder how he deals with speed wobbles.
By dying.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

70th anniversary of the breaking of the sound barrier.

8OK-Q_okZN0
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

DPGDAZyQ44k

H74rXkQBeR4
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

IEEE | Electric Vehicles Aren’t Taking Over Our Roads as Fast as Hype Artists Claim
Both the rate of EV adoption and the environmental benefits the vehicles will produce have been oversold
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Richard Fernandez AKA Wrechard speaks intelligently on many things. He touches obliquely on what may happen with self-driving cars, A.I. and windmill farms. Also why it may not have been a good idea to dam the Straits of Gibraltar.....;).....

https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/th ... omplexity/
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Richard Fernandez AKA Wrechard speaks intelligently on many things. He touches obliquely on what may happen with self-driving cars, A.I. and windmill farms. Also why it may not have been a good idea to dam the Straits of Gibraltar.....;).....

True that huge utopian plans have have bad consequences in the past, but we are so much smarter now than past generations..... and.... this time is different!

I like it.

OK, I'm almost on board. Dam the Straits of Gilbraltar, use hydro power to generate electricity which reduces greenhouse gas, which cools the Earth, which lowers the ocean levels. All of which are good things, unless you already live in a place that is cold much of the year, or spent big bucks on a house or vacation beach front property.

The merit of this idea is all settled science.

But what do we do with the water that we remove from the Mediterranean Sea?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Richard Fernandez AKA Wrechard speaks intelligently on many things. He touches obliquely on what may happen with self-driving cars, A.I. and windmill farms. Also why it may not have been a good idea to dam the Straits of Gibraltar.....;).....

" Swedish, Japanese, American and New Zealand researchers recently found that once respondents realized the Paris Agreement actually meant climate engineering they were much less confident of a predictable outcome. As soon as Paris stopped being a magic bullet and descended to the level of engineering attitudes changed dramatically.

Yep. Engineers are the wet blankets to the ideologues grand plans. It's what we do best!

"Hey Einstein! You do realize that 10 pounds of sh1t won't fit in a 5 pound bag, right?"
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

One nice thing about non-self driving cars is that the driver assumes all legal and moral responsibility. Once piloting the vehicle becomes another part of the operating system everything..... everything, goes back to the manufacturer. I'm surprised auto makers participated in the self-driving programme to the degree they have. It's like the tiger participating in building the dead fall trap he's to be ensnared in.......;)........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/12/ ... our-fault/

Life is gonna get a lot simpler soon. Are you a robot? No? Guilty as charged. Next case.

Human response will be interesting. Not too difficult to imagine many people walking out into traffic and trusting the technology to save them from their own stupidity.

Black market hand held EMP guns that allow you to "taze" the AI driven cars will be a big seller! "REBOOT THIS YOU BINARY BASTARD!!"

Maybe versions that look like Ghostbuster Proton Packs will be viewed as a status symbols and more desirable. SJW's will be readily identified by the Proton Packs on their backs.

"The Google controlled AI vehicle ran over the iPhone jay walker? Duh! Everyone knows those are incompatible OS's. What the hell was he thinking? Dumbass! Give me a Darwin Award and call the cleanup droids."

Skynet will be welcomed as an Avenging Angel.......
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

DnCsQPpY6xA

Beautiful lines on that car.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Make my free lunch pie-in-the-sky please! Oh, can I get that ala mode?

https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2 ... ent-000660
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Alphabet Kitty Hawk Flyer.

https://flyer.aero/

UzZJ-HxvLLI
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Xa_EJMw2I18
noddy

Post by noddy »

take the next left.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:Image

take the next left.
too cool, where is it?

back in the 60's, we were promised flying cars and jet packs.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:

too cool, where is it?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Chongqing&atb ... iaxm=about

china of course.
we were promised flying cars and jet packs.....
not until the automated stuff is good enough - 2 dimensions is already one too many for the idiots in my town :)
ultracrepidarian