Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Simple Minded

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, and Autos

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the NTSB chief reveals himself to be a bit of a cluess luddite.

the aeronautics and space industries might be able to bring him up to speed on the various tradeoffs between programmers errors being made once and then fixed permanently versus an endless stream of random idiots.
Very common over here unfortunately mate. Those who wish to regulate, often don't understand the subject matter well enough to even use specific terminology accurately.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:

the aeronautics and space industries might be able to bring him up to speed on the various tradeoffs between programmers errors being made once and then fixed permanently versus an endless stream of random idiots.
Very common over here unfortunately mate. Those who wish to regulate, often don't understand the subject matter well enough to even use specific terminology accurately.

The part about choosing between driving onto the side walk and killing 15 pedestrians or allowing the vehicle to crash into the truck is pretty damning.

Other wise Noddy have you ever read the trouble shooting instructions or Microsoft car?

When the car stops running:
Close the windows
Get out of the car
Get back in the car
Open the windows
and restart.....
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

Doc wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

The part about choosing between driving onto the side walk and killing 15 pedestrians or allowing the vehicle to crash into the truck is pretty damning.

Other wise Noddy have you ever read the trouble shooting instructions or Microsoft car?

When the car stops running:
Close the windows
Get out of the car
Get back in the car
Open the windows
and restart.....
i assume this is a humour post ?

JCOvo41c5wc

only to people who cant count.

id agree that skipping the first couple of generations of self driving cars makes sense, but iterative design keeps getting better and humans stay just as retarded as ever
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
id agree that skipping the first couple of generations of self driving cars makes sense, but iterative design keeps getting better and humans stay just as retarded as ever
This is to be expected, especially for those who focus on fixing the flaws of "others" and "society," rather than fixing their own flaws...... Ya gotta give them some bonus points for their consistency and predictability.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:
This is to be expected, especially for those who focus on fixing the flaws of "others" and "society," rather than fixing their own flaws...... Ya gotta give them some bonus points for their consistency and predictability.
i was perhaps a bit colourful (absurd?) in my choice of language.

im included the retarded group when it comes to driving, everyone is, even the best most focused and skillful human has bad days, health problems and can be distracted.

move to the other end of the bell curve and the least skillful humans behind a wheel and any statistical issues from early robot code dissapear quite quickly as those folks are a constant source of death to themselves and others
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:
i was perhaps a bit colourful (absurd?) in my choice of language.

im included the retarded group when it comes to driving, everyone is, even the best most focused and skillful human has bad days, health problems and can be distracted.

move to the other end of the bell curve and the least skillful humans behind a wheel and any statistical issues from early robot code dissapear quite quickly as those folks are a constant source of death to themselves and others
On the bright side, if my tribe wasn't continually lowering the bar, it would negatively impact the self-esteem of the others. ;)

In any event, "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of their folly is to fill the world with fools." Few things make people more careless than lots of inherent safety devices. Even though skill levels drop, but so do accidents. Yuge deal in our litigious society.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh i spose so.

men love the cliche in the movies were the pilot turns the robot off and goes manual , i dare say that would be instant accident on any advanced vehicle and will never happen in the real world as even today its only the robots keeping the fighter jets in the air, humans cant do it, they just tell the electronics where they want to go, then it does the actual flying.

personally, cars are not white knuckle excitement device like a rally racer, they are tedious peak hour crawling through the suburbs and id like that 2+hrs of my life back, id also like the screaming and distracted parents in their oversized 4x4's removed from behind the wheel, for the safety of all :P

if thats not acceptable ill made do with a rocket launcher, at the bare minimum i should be able to defend myself.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The F-35 Stealth Fighter May Never Be Ready for Combat
Testing report contradicts the U.S. Air Force’s rosy pronouncements
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

:)

not all increments are a step forward.
ultracrepidarian
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Typhoon wrote:The F-35 Stealth Fighter May Never Be Ready for Combat
Even if it does become "combat ready", it's anti-radar stealth technology is already obsolete, or soon will be. Also, with such hot exhaust, the F-35 is very vulnerable to detection by infrared.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

This could be a very big deal.

I worry about Harmonic Drive's involvement: are they really trying to commercialize the technology, or are they actually trying to keep it off the market?

De Beers has purchased a lot of synthetic diamond companies and patents.
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Typhoon wrote:The F-35 Stealth Fighter May Never Be Ready for Combat
It's already accomplished it's mission: making billions for Lockheed.
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

The F-35 will be pretty pointless even if they get it to work as specified.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Wonderful image. A J-Class heeling under sail is a thing of beauty.

Had the pleasure of seeing several when sailing on Lake Michigan, now many years ago.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

How to deal with high beam drivers

A friend of mine working at a US national lab in New Mexico was fed up with the same type of insecure drivers,
so he rigged up a square frame around his van with high power xenon flashtubes
and flashed any oncoming drivers who were (mis)using their high beams.

The number of alien sighting reports in the area surged.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:Wonderful image. A J-Class heeling under sail is a thing of beauty.

Had the pleasure of seeing several when sailing on Lake Michigan, now many years ago.
Must have been an awesome sight :) I love these yachts too.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

x545jn9_vendee-globe-southern-ocean-leaders_sport

The use of side foils on monohulls is a novel innovation.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

VQWvOHAzjBo
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

D4uSWtazRCM
Doc

Post by Doc »

1980's hypersonic aircraft: SR-91 Aurora

yqTCjPG3Ntg
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

NfWZCNyhGpc
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tip of the hat to a friend.

gNAhwlxpJSE