Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, and Autos

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

daVDrGsaDME

Hans, how is your project coming along?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:daVDrGsaDME

Hans, how is your project coming along?
Haven't done that in a very long time, not having a barn to work in really limits my ability to do that anymore.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Air & Space | Eurofighter: Typhoon

7NZ9X9A2efA

QoVGz9xai1M
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

So.... you a tomita delivery boy, or....... did you just twock it and why didja park it in front of your door?.....XDDDDDDD..........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:So.... you a tomita delivery boy, or....... did you just twock it and why didja park it in front of your door?.....XDDDDDDD..........
:D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

http://goo.gl/JQS6D wrote:How to Defeat the [US] Air Force’s Powerful [F-22] Stealth Fighter
. . . a contingent of German pilots flying their latest Typhoon fighter have figured out how to shoot down the Lockheed Martin-made F-22 in mock combat. The Germans’ tactics, revealed in the latest Combat Aircraft magazine, represent the latest reality check for the $400-million-a-copy F-22, following dozens of pilot blackouts, and possibly a crash, reportedly related to problems with the unique g-force-defying vests worn by Raptor pilots.
Ja, ve have vays of making you crash.

[ US$ 400 million per fighter? :shock: ]
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:Air & Space | Eurofighter: Typhoon

7NZ9X9A2efA
The constant jumpcuts they do make it nearly impossible to actually get an idea of the speed involved. They always think those shaky jumpcuts denote action, but I think they just make it so you can't really see the action.

Cool concept for a race though. Would've liked to see a wider angle shot of the beginning of the race.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

World's biggest passenger aircraft lands at Bush IAH

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=8758022
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Enki wrote: Cool concept for a race though.....
The main runway at CFB Namao was 14,000 ft., which would be even better than Cold Lake for this challenge.

Race the Base 2012
ETAn3UNjzYY

Race the Base - Enzo Vs CF 18 Jet
w3PDUX233ko

More videos.

Still time to sign up. ;)
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Hans Bulvai wrote:World's biggest passenger aircraft lands at Bush IAH

Congratulations to Houston, but the A380 still gives me the willies. That's one fat, soft target for headcases.

Here's how an A380 appears as it passes overhead:

Emirates A380 Take-off Ottawa
ssxHmA5C8-Y

--T.S. Eliot
Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

Antipatros wrote:
Hans Bulvai wrote:World's biggest passenger aircraft lands at Bush IAH

Congratulations to Houston, but the A380 still gives me the willies. That's one fat, soft target for headcases.

Here's how an A380 appears as it passes overhead:

Emirates A380 Take-off Ottawa
ssxHmA5C8-Y
I have seen it. Big and quite.
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

WkdQvMpKb_w
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

2011 Green Flight Challenge Highlights Video (October 4, 2011)
2z9Qy9rrwQU
Also at: http://archive.org/details/nasaames-2z9Qy9rrwQU

Aero-TV: The Green Flight Challenge - NASA Supports Electric Propulsion
g699jCpqxio
4 October 2011:
Is This The First Of A New Generation Of Airplanes???

If you wanted to see aviation history in the making this week, you needed to join ANN's Nathan Cremisino at the CAFE Green Flight Challenge, where the fine folks of NASA awarded the largest prize in aviation history, created to inspire the development of more fuel-efficient aircraft and spark the start of a new electric airplane industry.

The technologies demonstrated by the CAFE Green Flight Challenge, sponsored by Google, competitors may end up in general aviation aircraft, spawning new jobs and new industries for the 21st century. The first place prize of $1.35 million was awarded to team Pipistrel-USA.com of State College, Pa. The second place prize of $120,000 went to team eGenius, of Ramona, Calif.

Fourteen teams originally registered for the competition. Three teams successfully met all requirements and competed in the skies over the Charles M. Schulz Sonoma County Airport in Santa Rosa, Calif. The competition was managed by the Comparative Aircraft Flight Efficiency (CAFE) Foundation under an agreement with NASA.

The winning aircraft had to fly 200 miles in less than two hours and use less than one gallon of fuel per occupant, or the equivalent in electricity. The first and second place teams, which were both electric-powered, achieved twice the fuel efficiency requirement of the competition, meaning they flew 200 miles using just over a half-gallon of fuel equivalent per passenger.

This week's competition marks the culmination of more than two years of aircraft design, development and testing for the teams. It represents the dawn of a new era in efficient flight and is the first time that full-scale electric aircraft have performed in competition. Collectively, the competing teams invested more than $4 million in pursuit of the challenge prize purse.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

U.S. Navy, Hook Down, Wheels Down (1974)

1I6XJCEi-GU

Also at: http://archive.org/details/HookDownWheelsDown
Produced in the early 1970s, "Hook Down, Wheels Down" was one of the most comprehensive (and expensive) films made by the U.S. Navy. It covers the history and development of the U.S. aircraft carrier, and does so through interviews with many of the men who made it happen. While dozens of aircraft carriers are featured, it is the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) that takes center stage -- and the material shot on her deck looks like it is right out of "Top Gun". There is wonderful flight op footage, great aerial flight footage, incredible WWII dog fightand bombing footage as well as endless aircraft carrier operational footage. Also shown in this film are very rare images of the first aircraft carrier USS Langley (CV-1) (formerly collier USS Jupiter AC-3).

The follow on vessels are widely featured including USS Lexington (CV-3) and the USS Yorktown (CV-5) in the Battle of Coral Sea. Also featured: USS Saratoga (CV-2), USS Enterprise (CV-6), USS Hornet (CV-8), USS Wasp (CV-7), USS Ranger (CV-4), USS Yorktown (CV-5), USS Essex (CV-9), USS Guadalcanal (CVE-60), the British carrier HMS Furious, the destroyer USS Zeilin (DD-313), and many other warships. Various incidents are shown from Pearl Harbor, Midway, Coral Sea, the capture of the submarine U-505, the Marianas Turkey Shoot, the Doolittle Raid on Japan, and more. Includes interviews or appearances by many WWII naval aviators and aces including Wade McClusky, John Jay Courtney, Billy Mitchell, Gerald Bogen, Leslie Generes, John S. Thatch (of "Thatch Weave" fame), Ensign George Gay, David Campbell (whose Minsi III appears in the film), Edward "Butch" O'Hare, Charles Lindbergh, Glenn Curtiss, Clark Gable and Wallace Beery.

Planes seen in the film include the Wright Brothers flier, biplanes, Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis, the NC-4 Flying Boat, Hellcat, Avenger, Corsair, Vindicator, Devastator, Wildcat, and Japanese Zero. Also seen in the film: dogfights, combat flying, the Washington Conference on battleships, the Panama Canal exercise...

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

The Bluenose was a famous racing schooner launched in 1921 and still immortalised on Canadian dimes.

The Queen of the Grand Banks Schooners
mWUD_r6E4U8

The Bluenose II is a replica launched in 1963. After an extensive rebuild, she will be relaunched on 29 September. As you can see, the masts and rigging are still to be completed.

June 2012 - Restoration of Bluenose II
KMp2CnT-IIQ

Inside Bluenose II - May 2011
7ebHoNZ2kQc

http://bluenose.novascotia.ca/

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A beautiful gaff rigged schooner.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Economist | A cycling renaissance is taking place in America
MORE and more Americans are taking to the road on two wheels. Between 1977 and 2009 the total number of annual bike trips more than tripled, while the bike’s share of all trips rose from 0.6% to 1%. Commuting cyclists have also increased in number, with twice as many biking to work in 2009 as in 2000.

Cities are increasingly vying to be bike friendly. Among them, Chicago wants to become the most cycle-friendly large city in the country—and has said it will build over 30 miles of protected cycle lanes this year. At the moment it ranks fifth, according to Bicycling magazine. Ahead of it are Washington, DC, Boulder, Colorado, Minneapolis and Portland, Oregon. And cycling is growing fast in all these cities, as it is in New York and San Francisco.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Economist | A cycling renaissance is taking place in America
MORE and more Americans are taking to the road on two wheels. Between 1977 and 2009 the total number of annual bike trips more than tripled, while the bike’s share of all trips rose from 0.6% to 1%. Commuting cyclists have also increased in number, with twice as many biking to work in 2009 as in 2000.

Cities are increasingly vying to be bike friendly. Among them, Chicago wants to become the most cycle-friendly large city in the country—and has said it will build over 30 miles of protected cycle lanes this year. At the moment it ranks fifth, according to Bicycling magazine. Ahead of it are Washington, DC, Boulder, Colorado, Minneapolis and Portland, Oregon. And cycling is growing fast in all these cities, as it is in New York and San Francisco.
Hmmm.... could be spun (no pun intended) as either evidence of "environmental enlightenment" or a lousy economy to be blamed on the "not us" crowd......

Justa couple years ago, if one suggested to a middle class parent who whined about the cost of child rearing, that instead of getting their 16 year old whelp an automobile, they should make them get a job and buy a bicycle with the money they earned, one was viewed as mean-spirited and clueless......

Soon as the cheapest generation starts building with used lumber and making their children spend hours pulling nails and straightening nails..... the cycle will be complete..... :D

Screw OSHA, screw child labor laws, and screw social services! Once you teach a six year old how to use a claw hammer, a crowbar, and a cat's paw, the world is their oyster!!!

For more Ole Bullshitter ranting, view my website as I_be_chic_once_again.com :D
Azrael

Hobie 16

Post by Azrael »

cultivate a white rose
Antipatros

Cutty Sark

Post by Antipatros »

The fire on Cutty Sark received widespread media coverage here, as did the fundraising efforts for its restoration. Having exhausted their attention span, the MSM then lost interest. I thought I should look in.

Queen unveils restored Cutty Sark
DAPDGSj8mqk

Cutty Sark

http://www.rmg.co.uk/cuttysark/
Cutty Sark has relaunched, opening a new chapter in the extraordinary life of one of the world’s most famous ships. The last surviving tea clipper and the fastest and greatest of her time, she is a living testimony to the bygone, glorious days of sail and, most importantly, a monument to those that lost their lives in the merchant service.

Venture aboard and beneath one of the world’s most famous ships. Walk along the decks in the footsteps of the merchant seamen who sailed her over a century ago. Explore the hold where precious cargo was stored on those epic voyages then marvel as you balance a 963-tonne national treasure on just one hand.

Royal re-opening

On 25 April 2012 Her Majesty The Queen, accompanied by His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, officially re-opened Cutty Sark....
Cutty Sark facts and figures

http://www.rmg.co.uk/cuttysark/history- ... nd-figures

Name of ship: Cutty Sark
Date of launch: 22 November 1869
Built by: Scott & Linton, Dumbarton, Scotland
Type of hull construction: Composite clipper ship
Built for: John Willis, Willis & Sons
Cost: £16,150
Gross tonnage: 963 tons
Net tonnage: 921 tons
Sail area: 32,000 sq. ft. (2,976 sq. m)
Number of sails: 32 sails
Rigging: 11 miles
Length: 212.5ft (64.8m)
Length overall: 280ft (85.4m)
Beam: 36ft (11m)
Registered depth: 21ft (6.4m)
Moulded depth: 22.5ft (6.9m)
Height of main mast: 152ft (47m)
Top speed: Over 17 knots

History and collections

The Cutty Sark rises from the flames - in pictures

Britain's last surviving tea clipper, the Cutty Sark, was damaged in a fire in 2007 and reopens on 25 April after an extensive conservation project

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/galle ... n-pictures

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

RCMP vessel St Roch

http://www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/page216.htm

Ship Name: RCMP vessel St Roch (pronounced “Saint Rock”)

Vital Statistics (1944 configuration):
Length: 31.8 m (104’3”) Beam: 7.5 m (24’7”) Draft: 3.25 m (10’8”)
Tonnage: 196.5 t
Hull: Douglas fir with Australian gumwood outer hull; rounded hull to allow ice to slide underneath; steel plate covering bow
Power source: 150 hp Union diesel, 6 cylinder; schooner rigged
Built: Burrard Drydock Shipyard, North Vancouver, 1928 (Charles Druguid design with modifications by Thomas Halliday)

St Roch was built specifically for the RCMP to patrol the Arctic. The ship was named after the Quebec east riding of Ernest Lapointe, then Federal Minister of Justice responsible for the RCMP. Launched on May 7, 1928, she began a long and successful career that ended in 1950 when officially retired from duty in Halifax. St Roch sailed through the Panama Canal in 1954 to return to Vancouver.

What was the significance of St Roch?
  • First vessel to sail the Northwest Passage from west to east (1940 – 1942)
    First vessel to complete the Northwest Passage in one season (1944), also making it the first to use the more northerly, deeper route and to complete the Passage in both directions
    First vessel to circumnavigate North America
    Survived 12 winters stuck in the ice for 10 months at a time
    King George VI awarded the prestigious Polar Medal to Henry Larsen and the crew who sailed during the 1944 voyage
    Declared a National Historic Site (1962)...

--T.S. Eliot