Junk Science: Poor science, pseudoscience, errors, and fraud

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Junk Science: Poor science, pseudoscience, errors, and f

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:Michigan Newspaper Claims the Large Hadron Collider Is Being Used as a "Stargate"

One of interesting things about the US is the large range of outliers.

Some of the smartest people from across all industrialized societies and a disproportionate number of the dumbest, such as the buffoon above.
A product of being lied to so often, and a government which so completely corrupt it is not trusted anymore.

Where there is no trust, ignorance follows. This kind of stuff is a side effect of the lack of truth.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Hack Your Way To Scientific Glory

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:transparently leverage the synergy of fuzzy, homogeneous configurations

i really struggle to conceal my dismay at the folks that think statistics are science, they really shouldnt be allowed to vote.
It depends on the statistics. Science is primarily not the discovery of truth, but the reduction of falsehood. We are continually finding less stupid answers, and good statistics can help with that.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Michigan Newspaper Claims the Large Hadron Collider Is Being Used as a "Stargate"

Some of the smartest people from across all industrialized societies and a disproportionate number of the dumbest, such as the buffoon above.
At least the vocal ones :wink:
Some not only celebrate diversity, they define it by their very existence! ;)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:

I just hope come Sept 24th that we finally get rid of all Sexually Insatiable Female Morons. How about some sexually insatiable female geniuses that look like Victoria's secret models for a change?

http://www.salon.com/2006/03/04/bruinius/
Progressive genocide

Less than 100 years ago, America's finest minds were convinced the nation was threatened by sexually insatiable female morons. A new history of the eugenics movement sheds light on a bizarre chapter in U.S. history.
Farhad Manjoo
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

I just hope come Sept 24th that we finally get rid of all Sexually Insatiable Female Morons. How about some sexually insatiable female geniuses that look like Victoria's secret models for a change?

. . .
Brecher wrote:Penetration testing -- a fun project for a clever girl.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

NYT reports on big ag bribing academic scientists to shill for gmo's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/us/fo ... .html?_r=2

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Industry corrupts meta-analysis

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Scientific American finds big pharma corrupts more than just research.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... influence/

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

Study: Elite scientists can hold back science

Shorter: Science is not immune to interpersonal bullshit. Scientists can be stubborn. They can use their gravitas to steamroll new ideas. Which means those new ideas often only prevail when older scientists die.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
Study: Elite scientists can hold back science

Shorter: Science is not immune to interpersonal bullshit. Scientists can be stubborn. They can use their gravitas to steamroll new ideas. Which means those new ideas often only prevail when older scientists die.
Excellent article. Scientist are not immune to the lure of fortune and fame anymore than other humans. Fads rule. Publish popular stuff or starve.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Why Some of the Worst Attacks on Social Science Have Come From Liberals
By Jesse Singal
Follow @jessesingal

I first read Galileo’s Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and the Search for Justice in Science when I was home for Thanksgiving, and I often left it lying around the house when I was doing other stuff. At one point, my dad picked it up off a table and started reading the back-jacket copy. “That’s an amazing book so far,” I said. “It’s about the politicization of science.” “Oh,” my dad responded. “You mean like Republicans and climate change?”

That exchange perfectly sums up why anyone who is interested in how tricky a construct “truth” has become in 2015 should read Alice Dreger’s book. No, it isn’t about climate change, but my dad could be excused for thinking any book about the politicization of science must be about conservatives. Many liberals, after all, have convinced themselves that it’s conservatives who attack science in the name of politics, while they would never do such a thing. Galileo’s Middle Finger corrects this misperception in a rather jarring fashion, and that’s why it’s one of the most important social-science books of 2015.

At its core, Galileo’s Middle Finger is about what happens when science and dogma collide — specifically, what happens when science makes a claim that doesn’t fit into an activist community’s accepted worldview. And many of Dreger’s most interesting, explosive examples of this phenomenon involve liberals, not conservatives, fighting tooth and nail against open scientific inquiry.

When Dreger criticizes liberal politicization of science, she isn’t doing so from the seat of a trolling conservative. Well before she dove into some of the biggest controversies in science and activism, she earned her progressive bona fides
Much more at the link:

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/12/wh ... ience.html
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

SMH | Distorted universities need a reality check
Cultural sensitivity is turning into a victory for ideology over objectivity.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

W5mJeRtjPvY
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://heterodoxacademy.org/2016/02/04/ ... d-science/
Something Slimy: The Signs of Bad Science

by Daniel Klein | Feb 4, 2016 | Uncategorized | 9 comments

Comic - Whoever you are, Mom, I don't have time for thisIn The Chronicle there is a stunning interview regarding the Flint, Michigan lead-poisoning problem, with Virginia Tech professor Marc Edwards, who helped expose the government-academic complex.

Edwards explains his morality-based method of checking into whether science is sound:

So when you start asking questions about people, and you approach them as a scientist, if you feel like you’re talking to an adult and they give you a rational response and are willing to share data and discuss an issue rationally, I’m out of there. I go home.

But when you reach out to them, as I did with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and they do not return your phone calls, they do not share data, they do not respond to FOIA [open-records requests], y’know. … In each case I just started asking questions and turning over rocks, and I resolved to myself, The second something slimy doesn’t come out, I’m gonna go home. But every single rock you turn over, something slimy comes out.

The experience is familiar to me as editor of Econ Journal Watch, a journal of economic criticism. Numerous authors have told us backstories like Edwards’. Moreover, we have found that commented-on authors, when invited to reply to published criticism, sometimes simply do not respond.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

New Yorker | The Stress Test
Rivalries, intrigue, and fraud in the world of stem-cell research.
An excellent article.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Times - Melanie Philips | Science is turning back to the dark ages
Overplaying the threat to coral reefs is just the latest example of ideology distorting research
Except:

According to a new study, scientists’ claims that coral reefs are doomed by ocean acidification are overplayed. An “inherent bias” in scientific journals, says the editor of ICES Journal of Marine Science, has excluded research showing marine creatures are not being damaged.

Instead, he says, many studies have used flawed methods by subjecting such creatures to sudden increases in carbon dioxide that would never happen in real life. No surprises there. The claim that CO2 emissions are acidifying the oceans is a favourite of climate-change alarmists.

Man-made global warming theory has been propped up by studies that many scientists have dismissed as methodologically flawed, ideologically bent or even fraudulent. The problem of scientific integrity, however, goes far wider. Psychology, neuroscience, physics and other scientific areas have been convulsed by revelations of dodgy research.

Richard Horton, editor-in-chief of The Lancet, has written bleakly: “The case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue.”

One reason is that cash-strapped universities, competing for money and talent, exert huge pressure on academics to publish more and more to meet the box-ticking criteria set by grant-funding bodies. Corners are being cut and mistakes being made.

But whatever happened to peer-review, the supposed kitemark of scientific integrity produced by the collective judgment of other researchers? Well, that seems to have gone south too. In 1998 Fiona Godlee, editor of the British Medical Journal, sent an article containing eight deliberate mistakes to more than 200 of the BMJ’s regular reviewers. Not one picked out all the mistakes. On average, they reported fewer than two; some did not spot any.

The problem lies with research itself. The cornerstone of scientific authority rests on the notion that replicating an experiment will produce the same result. If replication fails, the research is deemed flawed. But failure to replicate is widespread. In 2012, the OECD spent $59 billion on biomedical research, nearly double the 2000 figure. Yet an official at America’s National Institutes of Health has said researchers would find it hard to reproduce at least three-quarters of all published biomedical findings.

A 2005 study by John Ioannidis, an epidemiologist at Stanford University, said the majority of published research findings were probably false. At most, no more than about one in four findings from early-phase clinical trials would be true; epidemiological studies might have only a one in five chance of being true. “Empirical evidence on expert opinion”, he wrote, “shows that it is extremely unreliable”. [...]

Underlying much of this disarray is surely the pressure to conform to an idea, whether political, commercial or ideological. Ideological fads produce financial and professional incentives to conform and punishment for dissent, whether loss of grant-funding or lack of advancement. As Professor Ioannidis observed: “For many current scientific fields, claimed research findings may often be simply accurate measures of the prevailing bias.” [...]

Underlying this loss of scientific bearings is a closed intellectual circle. Scientists pose as secular priests. They alone, they claim, hold the keys to the universe. Those who aren’t scientists merely express uneducated opinion. The resulting absence of openness and transparency is proving the scientists’ undoing. In the words of Richard Horton, “science has taken a turn towards darkness”. But science defines modernity. It is our gold standard of truth and reason. This is the darkness of the West too.

Full post

- See more at: http://www.thegwpf.com/melanie-phillips ... CHcmp.dpuf
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Retraction Watch | Conservative political beliefs not linked to psychotic traits, as study claimed
Researchers have fixed a number of papers after mistakenly reporting that people who hold conservative political beliefs are more likely to exhibit traits associated with psychoticism, such as authoritarianism and tough-mindedness.

As one of the notices specifies, now it appears that liberal political beliefs are linked with psychoticism. That paper also swapped ideologies when reporting on people higher in neuroticism and social desirability (falsely claiming that you have socially desirable qualities); the original paper said those traits are linked with liberal beliefs, but they are more common among people with conservative values.
Actually, the only thing the paper does demonstrate is that psychology, sociology, and political science are not sciences.
Nonc Hilaire

Open access publication EU concept

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

An excellent proposal as I understand it.

http://ec.europa.eu/research/science-so ... ook_en.pdf

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

science has sold itself out to the highest bidder, pushing opinion as facts to suit the prejudices of the market, click here to purchase my book on how i think this happened and for a limited time offer get the video aswell.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
science has sold itself out to the highest bidder, pushing opinion as facts to suit the prejudices of the market, click here to purchase my book on how i think this happened and for a limited time offer get the video as well.
:lol: You cynic.

Except it's not her book.
Typhoon

Re: Open access publication EU concept

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:An excellent proposal as I understand it.

Indeed.

There is already underground "open access" to pay walled scientific papers via a site called sci-hub.cc.

Sci-Hub

One pastes in the URL of the pay walled paper and it returns the unlocked paper in pdf format.

Of course, not that I've tried it.

It is giving traditional scientific publishers such as Springer and Elsevier hysterics.
Nonc Hilaire

War on bad science now has a patron.

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Open source experimentation, replication and online data sets.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/john-arno ... d-science/

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Re: Open access publication EU concept

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:An excellent proposal as I understand it.

Indeed.

There is already underground "open access" to pay walled scientific papers via a site called sci-hub.cc.

Sci-Hub

One pastes in the URL of the pay walled paper and it returns the unlocked paper in pdf format.

Of course, not that I've tried it.

It is giving traditional scientific publishers such as Springer and Elsevier hysterics.

"Dr. Fraud"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/scie ... .html?_r=0
A Scholarly Sting Operation Shines a Light on ‘Predatory’ Journals

By GINA KOLATAMARCH 22, 2017
Yet, when Dr. Fraud applied to 360 randomly selected open-access academic journals asking to be an editor, 48 accepted her and four made her editor in chief. She got two offers to start a new journal and be its editor. One journal sent her an email saying, “It’s our pleasure to add your name as our editor in chief for the journal with no responsibilities.”
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjxmf9HPATc

Bill Nye The Communist China One Child Policy Eugenics Guy
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Hilarious.

ycVkZiHZUYE
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sat May 06, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship isn't necessary