Junk Science: Poor science, pseudoscience, errors, and fraud

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Big Bang Theory

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Lol, this theory isn't going to last much longer. This is from a "scientist"

dbm3M9Bz4RE
It will last until if and when someone comes up with a more viable explanation

Whatever the next theory may be, it will also be based on GR, not the limited Newtonian mechanics of our everyday experience.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Junk Science: Poor science, pseudoscience, errors, and f

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Oh man evolutionists are so insecure. Seriously, this isn't any different than what the Catholic Church did to Galileo. How often we become what we despise.

At any rate we live in an information age where the fatal flaws of evolution will continue to be exposed, shuttering them off into corners won't work. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Oh man evolutionists are so insecure. Seriously, this isn't any different than what the Catholic Church did to Galileo. How often we become what we despise.
Crackpot index
40 points for comparing yourself to Galileo, suggesting that a modern-day Inquisition is hard at work on your case, and so on
Mr. Perfect wrote:At any rate we live in an information age where the fatal flaws of evolution will continue to be exposed, shuttering them off into corners won't work. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
At least you have learned one of my often used quotes, not original, but excerpted and paraphrased from Justice Brandeis
Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases.
Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Oh man evolutionists are so insecure. Seriously, this isn't any different than what the Catholic Church did to Galileo. How often we become what we despise.
Crackpot index
40 points for comparing yourself to Galileo, suggesting that a modern-day Inquisition is hard at work on your case, and so on
Mr. Perfect wrote:At any rate we live in an information age where the fatal flaws of evolution will continue to be exposed, shuttering them off into corners won't work. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
At least you have learned one of my often used quotes, not original, but excerpted and paraphrased from Justice Brandeis
Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases.
Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman.
Are crackpot points cumulative, or do you start from zero each day or with each new post?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mr. Perfect is not on the same side as Galileo. Mr. Perfect is on the side of the former Catholic Church.

Americans just love playing the victim card. ;)
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote: Are crackpot points cumulative, or do you start from zero each day or with each new post?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mr. Perfect is not on the same side as Galileo. Mr. Perfect is on the side of the former Catholic Church.

Americans just love playing the victim card. ;)
Lol CS owns the Catholic Church position, that is suppression of scientific inquiry. I am thoroughly amazed at evolutionary seculars and their terror of any questioning of their religion. It's suppression all the way down.

I wouldn't compare myself to Galileo as much as I would compare CS to the Catholic Church. No questioning of the priesthood is allowed.

However the quality of creationist content is off the charts these days, I don't think evolution is going to last much longer looking at the tactics employed by the Evolutionary Church. Suppression as the only tactic is sure to fail in the information age. The whole thing will crumble to the ground.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Junk Science: junk history

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Galileo was a self-aggrandizing prick who got exactly what he deserved.

He couldn't back up his support of Copernicus's model as he couldn't observe an eastward deflection in falling bodies nor a predictable stellar parallax- he also couldn't account for the size of stars bigger than the sun. In hindsight, we have answers to these things now but they wouldn't be settled until ensuing centuries. And by that time, Newton's work more or less made the controversy moot as Newton made Kepler's model look really really good. And so by then, into the trash bin went the Ptolemy's model, the Egyptian model, Brahe's model, Copernicus's model and all sorts of other brayings- 200,300 years of bitchin' fer nuthin'.

When he wasn't suing others over the claim of who made which observation of the heavenly bodies first (some which we now know he had no business attributing to himself), he was embarrassing his patrons, wading half-cocked into every controversy of the day and insulting friends and foes alike.

And again more importantly, most importantly, most important-erly-- he had no response to his critic's objections.

If you've ever heard the (Canadian joke catchphrase?) "If you're not going to be handsome, you may as well be handy"'; well, Galileo should've gotten it through his head that, "If you can't prove it, don't be provocative." Especially to friends. People like Giovanni Battista Riccioli had the stronger case at the time and almost all the scientific chairs at universities were of the old school that astronomy was in the domain of mathematics and not natural philosophy.

Those who were for the new learning, those who within a generation would replace that old school, those who supported Galileo like St.Robert Bellarmine and Pope Urban VIII....he went out of his way to call stupid idiots because they would not throw their lot in 100% with a raving ass.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I've read Sir Richard Hooke tested an experiment devised by Newton (based off his work) to test out the eastward deflection of falling bodies and it failed*. A failure which contradicted the idea of the revolution of the earth but irony of ironies, no one cared because the same general principle which defended all geocentrists tooth and nail nary a century earlier (the mathematics worked and they're elegant!) now deflected any criticism from Mr.Newton and a heliocentric world.

*it was an issue of inaccuracy in measurement but that's easy to see in hindsight.
Mr. Perfect

GMO

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ok so there are some stupid people out there. America is breaking records in obesity impotence sterility diabetes heart disease cancer autism and parkinsons.

But it's nothing to do with the food (85% of the food supply is GMO)...

Mkay. Let's see what "science" says.

KNtCV67biBA

So first question, do you take diet advice from a tubby guy?
noddy

Re: GMO

Post by noddy »

he is an astrophysicist, which means he apparently has training and knowledge of theoretical physics in astronomy.

im not aware of him being particularly active in his field as he seems to have long since become a celebrity with other concerns such as big noting himself.

not quite as tedious as the bill nye weenie but close.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

That goes to the scientism issue, someone in the cult issues the talking points with the threats included and it gets disseminated to the priesthood who regurgitate it with no critical thought. Rather than keep it with people in the field.

This is a real problem. It has to be dealt with.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Ok so there are some stupid people out there. America is breaking records in obesity impotence sterility diabetes heart disease cancer autism and parkinsons.

KNtCV67biBA

Nothing to do with GMO.

It has everything to do with Americans stuffing their faces and not getting any exercise.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol really. Do these people have a gym? How do they know how many calories to eat, and how do they count them

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

And Americans stuff their faces with GMO.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Ok so there are some stupid people out there. America is breaking records in obesity impotence sterility diabetes heart disease cancer autism and parkinsons.

Nothing to do with GMO.

It has everything to do with Americans stuffing their faces and not getting any exercise.
Research on GMO's is controlled in the US by the academic and government gatekeepers but there is plenty of non-English research, which is why 80+ countries forbid the import of GMOs. Better to help look for genuine science in other languguages than just pointing fingers.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Lol really. Do these people have a gym? How do they know how many calories to eat, and how do they count them

No, but they do spend their days walking.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

OWID | Global Food per Person

Wiki | List of countries by food energy intake

US #1: 3,800 kilocalories per day

Japan #81: 2,800 kilocalories per day

Tanzania #153: 2,020 kilocalories per day; location of the Hadzabe, pictured above.

Caloric intakes is the main determinant of obesity; next is the type of caloric intake

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: No, but they do spend their days walking.
Really. Did you ask them?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:OWID | Global Food per Person

Wiki | List of countries by food energy intake

US #1: 3,800 kilocalories per day

Japan #81: 2,800 kilocalories per day

Tanzania #153: 2,020 kilocalories per day; location of the Hadzabe, pictured above.

Caloric intakes is the main determinant of obesity; next is the type of caloric intake
This will be hard for you to understand, but the caloric intake is determined by the type of calories to begin with.
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Good point. They probably fly around in hover cars and eat shoo-fly pie all day.
noddy

Post by noddy »

personally i think GMO is a misdirected complaint in many ways.

what we as individuals prefer in a food item is not the same as what a corporate mega farmer prefers - this has been borne out many times with and without GMO.

some people are definately more allergic to some variations in proteins and whatnot than others and GMO is as likely to trigger that as anything else.

the mass production world wants things that grow fast, look good, last ages in transport and be convenient for the poison/fertaliser treatments mega farms use.

we as individuals want things that look good, taste nice and preferably have nigher nutrition.

these are not always aligned goals - however GMO is no different to normal evolution when it comes to minor changes that trigger allergies.

no village farmer would continue to grow a crop variant that made them or their children sick - this kind of thing just cant happen in small scale no matter what triggered the genetic change.

on the large scale it can take ages for the problem to be recognised, especially if that variant is a preferred one for things like growing fast or looking good.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Brecher wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Good point. They probably fly around in hover cars and eat shoo-fly pie all day.
Or lounge around in the bush or huts.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote:personally i think GMO is a misdirected complaint in many ways.

what we as individuals prefer in a food item is not the same as what a corporate mega farmer prefers - this has been borne out many times with and without GMO.

some people are definately more allergic to some variations in proteins and whatnot than others and GMO is as likely to trigger that as anything else.

the mass production world wants things that grow fast, look good, last ages in transport and be convenient for the poison/fertaliser treatments mega farms use.

we as individuals want things that look good, taste nice and preferably have nigher nutrition.

these are not always aligned goals - however GMO is no different to normal evolution when it comes to minor changes that trigger allergies.

no village farmer would continue to grow a crop variant that made them or their children sick - this kind of thing just cant happen in small scale no matter what triggered the genetic change.

on the large scale it can take ages for the problem to be recognised, especially if that variant is a preferred one for things like growing fast or looking good.
Since WWII industrial farming has pursued crops that have extended shelf life, uniform appearance and resistance to various pathogens, first with hybrids and now GMO. Without question this has been an enormous setback to nutritious food.

In the last 100 years we lost hundreds of varieties of fruit trees and vegetable/fruit varieties due to this modernization, and nutritional content has never been worse. But muh science.

There is only one way out.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i think you will find its "muh science" that identified and quantified the drop in nutrition for the commercial varieties.

anti science hippies vs monsanto paid shills just clouds the boring analysis of each food crop on a case by case basis.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Since there is no mad science thread I guess I might as well put this here.

What would happen if say a MOAB was dropped into the eye of a hurricane. Would the shock wave cause so much condensation of cloud vapor that enough would form rain droplets and all fall at once? Would this cause the hurricane to lose energy and dissipate? Would this be enough water falling all at once to cause a Tsunami? Asking for a friend. :D
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Only one way to find out.