Junk Science: Poor science, pseudoscience, errors, and fraud

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Junk Science: Poor science, pseudoscience, errors, and f

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote:i think you will find its "muh science" that identified and quantified the drop in nutrition for the commercial varieties.

anti science hippies vs monsanto paid shills just clouds the boring analysis of each food crop on a case by case basis.
I haven't found any anti science hippies on the subject of GMO. What I have found is hippies making scientific inquiries and being confounded by the Church of Scientism with their "science" and the modern fascist tactics of seculars. Eg, GMO fundamentalists have accused pro real food advocates of murder. There isn't a triangle here.

The US food supply is apocalyptically tragically monstrous. You could argue the need for a 2nd coming based on that alone. If you haven't been to America in a while you have no idea what is going on here.

There is only one way out.
Censorship isn't necessary
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Brecher wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: No, but they do spend their days walking.
Really. Did you ask them?
Good point. They probably fly around in hover cars and eat shoo-fly pie all day.
Or lounge around in the bush or huts.
Yeah. In Africa, the food comes to you, and slaughters and cooks itself. Very convenient.

Not inconvenient, like drone-delivered microwave ready-meals.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I dunno, Ive been to Africa and didn't see people running 10 miles a day. I saw people looking to take breaks like anyone else does.

Either way study the sedentary lives of Japanese office workers and ask why they aren't fat like us.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:. . .

Either way study the sedentary lives of Japanese office workers and ask why they aren't fat like us.
Lower caloric intake, daily commute by train which involves walking/bicycling to and from train station. walking up and down stairs, etc.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Lots of unknowns in this weight thing. The distribution of weight appears to vary by ethnicity and sex. One would logically suspect hormones play an important and incompletely documented role. American food is not just stuffed full of gmo corn sugar, but also hormones and antibiotics.

The science is far from settled.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

once you are in the business of feeding billions then the rules change anyway - science is just facts, its human emotions and priorities that decide which facts mean something.

individuals minimising risk dont look at statistics through the same eyeball as governments maximising food supply - eg: allergic problems in the 10's of thousands VS millions starving.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

False choice. GMOs only save millions from starving in corporate marketing.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:False choice. GMOs only save millions from starving in corporate marketing.
Norman Borlaug, Plant Scientist Who Fought Famine

The American geneticists Norman Borlaug arguably saved more people's lives than any other single in individual in human history.
About 1 billion lives saved from starvation due to the Green Revolution.

By far the biggest genetic modifier of foods is nature itself.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wow. Is there a non argument fallacy?

Breeding crops is not the same thing as splicing genes from other species.

It's like GMO propaganda could categorized as it's own kind of invasive species.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:. . .

Lower caloric intake, daily commute by train which involves walking/bicycling to and from train station. walking up and down stairs, etc.
Exactly. Minimally active people can still be lean.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote: science is just facts
Science is, yes, but lots of people think their opinions are fact, including members of the Church of Scientism.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
noddy wrote: science is just facts
Science is, yes, but lots of people think their opinions are fact, including members of the Church of Scientism.
“If a doctrine is not unintelligible, it has to be vague; and if neither unintelligible nor vague, it has to be unverifiable.”
― Eric Hoffer, The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FoxySci | Biblical prophecy claims the world will end on Sept. 23, Christian numerologists claim*

Get ready, Mr. P., the world is going to end . . . again.

*FoxySci could use an English editor
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol this has been all over the end times forums for years. Nothing new going on here. The world ending on 9-23 is an incredibly small minority view. Most people think it is one of many signs of the times. Personally I think it is a non event.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

:lol: :lol: .. probably true

Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Nonc Hilaire

Why most published research findings are false

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

PLoS paper explaining this proposition in detail:

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/a ... ed.0020124
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Fake Chinese science in English journals made to order

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

When the cancer research journal Tumor Biology retracted 107 papers last year, a dubious new world record was set — and the world's scientists took notice.

Largely because all 107 papers were penned by Chinese researchers.

"The fact they were all from one journal was eye opening", Ivan Oransky, who co-founded Retraction Watch, a publication that investigates scientific misconduct, said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018 ... fmredir=ms

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-news- ... _opin_pos2
The author admits that “my own anthropocentric frame” makes it difficult to judge animal consent. Still, the paper claims dog parks are “petri dishes for canine ‘rape culture’ ” and issues “a call for awareness into the different ways dogs are treated on the basis of their gender and queering behaviors, and the chronic and perennial rape emergency dog parks pose to female dogs.”
All of this prompted me to ask my own questions. My email to “Helen Wilson” was answered by James Lindsay, a math doctorate and one of the real co-authors of the dog-park study. Gender, Place & Culture had been duped, he admitted. So had half a dozen other prominent journals that accepted fake papers by Mr. Lindsay and his collaborators—Peter Boghossian, an assistant professor of philosophy at Portland State University, and Helen Pluckrose, a London-based scholar of English literature and history and editor of AreoMagazine.com.

The three academics call themselves “left-leaning liberals.” Yet they’re dismayed by what they describe as a “grievance studies” takeover of academia, especially its encroachment into the sciences. “I think that certain aspects of knowledge production in the United States have been corrupted,” Mr. Boghossian says. Anyone who questions research on identity, privilege and oppression risks accusations of bigotry.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-news- ... _opin_pos2
The author admits that “my own anthropocentric frame” makes it difficult to judge animal consent. Still, the paper claims dog parks are “petri dishes for canine ‘rape culture’ ” and issues “a call for awareness into the different ways dogs are treated on the basis of their gender and queering behaviors, and the chronic and perennial rape emergency dog parks pose to female dogs.”
All of this prompted me to ask my own questions. My email to “Helen Wilson” was answered by James Lindsay, a math doctorate and one of the real co-authors of the dog-park study. Gender, Place & Culture had been duped, he admitted. So had half a dozen other prominent journals that accepted fake papers by Mr. Lindsay and his collaborators—Peter Boghossian, an assistant professor of philosophy at Portland State University, and Helen Pluckrose, a London-based scholar of English literature and history and editor of AreoMagazine.com.

The three academics call themselves “left-leaning liberals.” Yet they’re dismayed by what they describe as a “grievance studies” takeover of academia, especially its encroachment into the sciences. “I think that certain aspects of knowledge production in the United States have been corrupted,” Mr. Boghossian says. Anyone who questions research on identity, privilege and oppression risks accusations of bigotry.
More on this wonderful the-empress-has-no-clothes spoof - exposé .

Quillette | The Grievance Studies Scandal: Five Academics Respond
noddy

Post by noddy »

will be interesting to see how much they are punished.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-news- ... _opin_pos2

Absolutely brilliant! I salute the three authors. My only criticism is that one of them should have used "Richard Head" as an author's name, just to see if it got any attention.

"......double anonymous peer review, may be hoaxes. “Referees put in a great deal of time and effort to write meaningful reviews, and the idea that individuals would submit fraudulent academic material violates many ethical and academic norms,” she said. “It is equally upsetting that the anonymous reviewer comments from that effort were shared with third parties, violating the confidentiality of the peer-review process.” Wiley, Hypatia’s publisher, is investigating in accordance with industrywide ethical guidelines, she said.

...........“We are now in the process of retracting this article from the scholarly record,” the editorial team said in a statement.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:will be interesting to see how much they are punished.
I would be surprised if a university, or a publishing house did not hire them as screeners. I would, except we don't publish anything in SimpleMindedStan....... except thru OTNOT.... and as you know, the peer review process here is impeccable.