Chinese Research and Publication

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Endovelico

Chinese Research and Publication

Post by Endovelico »

Has anyone noticed how many papers being published nowadays have the contribution of Chinese scientists? That, in my opinion, is the surest sign of things to come. More than through military or economic power, China will dominate the world through its science and scientists. I doubt there is anything we can do to avoid that, within the next century or so... Who will come next? India? Latin America?...
Endovelico

Research by Chinese

Post by Endovelico »

I had called this thread "Research", but it was transformed into a "Research in China" thread... If I had wanted to call it that, I would have, but there is always someone who thinks he has a right to second guess everybody else... The fact is that I wanted to comment on the role of Chinese scientists on global research, not on research in China, as such. There are plenty of Chinese researchers working abroad, namely in the US. Maybe the compulsive mod will be kind enough to change the thread's name to its original form or, at least, to change it to "Chinese Research"...
Typhoon

Re: Research by Chinese

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:I had called this thread "Research", but it was transformed into a "Research in China" thread... If I had wanted to call it that, I would have, but there is always someone who thinks he has a right to second guess everybody else... The fact is that I wanted to comment on the role of Chinese scientists on global research, not on research in China, as such. There are plenty of Chinese researchers working abroad, namely in the US. Maybe the compulsive mod will be kind enough to change the thread's name to its original form or, at least, to change it to "Chinese Research"...
Well, this compulsive mod would like to differentiate this thread from the general Research and Development; Invention and Innovation thread and inform potential readers that it specific to
China and/or Chinese.

The ethnic composition and country of origin of S&E grad students in the US:

NSF | http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind12/pdf/c02.pdf
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Re: Chinese Research and Publication

Post by Enki »

Endovelico wrote:Has anyone noticed how many papers being published nowadays have the contribution of Chinese scientists? That, in my opinion, is the surest sign of things to come. More than through military or economic power, China will dominate the world through its science and scientists. I doubt there is anything we can do to avoid that, within the next century or so... Who will come next? India? Latin America?...
China's laissez faire approach is the ideal model for a hyperpower in a modern globalized world. They won't 'take over' in any meaningful sense of the world, they will just dominate in all of the world's powerful fields. After all, they don't have Manifest Destiny, they have The Middle Kingdom.

Good for them. I can't wait to see what insane science comes out of China. It'll probably be terrifying and glorious all at once.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Re: Chinese Research and Publication

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote:
Endovelico wrote:Has anyone noticed how many papers being published nowadays have the contribution of Chinese scientists? That, in my opinion, is the surest sign of things to come. More than through military or economic power, China will dominate the world through its science and scientists. I doubt there is anything we can do to avoid that, within the next century or so... Who will come next? India? Latin America?...
China's laissez faire approach is the ideal model for a hyperpower in a modern globalized world. They won't 'take over' in any meaningful sense of the world, they will just dominate in all of the world's powerful fields. After all, they don't have Manifest Destiny, they have The Middle Kingdom.

Good for them. I can't wait to see what insane science comes out of China. It'll probably be terrifying and glorious all at once.
re: "Middle Kingdom"
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.