The "STEM Crisis" is a Myth

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

The "STEM Crisis" is a Myth

Post by Typhoon »

IEEE Spectrum | The STEM Crisis Is a Myth
Forget the dire predictions of a looming shortfall of scientists, technologists, engineers, and mathematicians.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Re: The "STEM Crisis" is a Myth

Post by Azrael »

Ah, yes . . . but there aren't enough STEM degree holders to drive down wages to levels that folks like Zuckerberg would feel comfortable paying.

Until you can pick up engineers by the truckload for $40 per day cash at the parking lot of Home Depot, it will be a crisis.
cultivate a white rose
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Professor Rodney Dangerfield and Star Systems....

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:IEEE Spectrum | The STEM Crisis Is a Myth
Forget the dire predictions of a looming shortfall of scientists, technologists, engineers, and mathematicians.

Thank You VERY Much for your post, Typhoon.

In my experience and that of other clan members, unfortunately quite right.

Unless one is willing to work Down in the Black Gang...........

And especially if you want to go into a field like Astronomy which like Music ;) has a Star System ;) :twisted:

Best to get a second major like Chemistry or Geology where you can prospect ;) for yourself........

Also it might be a good idea to get a Business minor or Major especially if you can find a professor like Rodney Dangerfield.........

YlVDGmjz7eM

Wondering if the empresarios would be so keen to have more STEMs if each STEM grad had a good practical Business Education.........

Wondering if the competition might STEM the empresarios........
Last edited by monster_gardener on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Enki

Post by Enki »

Yup. I've been saying this.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Science | After the LHC, the Deluge

This has been an ongoing issue that has been swept under the rug since the 1970's.

HEP grad students and postdocs would do well to remember the following:
Physicists are like lemons, you squeeze them for all they're worth, and then you throw them away.

~ Carlo Rubbia
___

Some historical perspective, from discussions with former senior colleagues:

In the US, the period of great expansion was during the post-Sputnik panic . . . until about 1972.

The standard career route then was that one graduated with a Ph.D. and was hired on as a [often tenured] professor.

Of course, this exponential expansion could not continue, and in ~ 1972 the door slammed shut.

It was a this time that the holding-tank known a.k.a. the post-doctoral position was created.

Having this low-cost highly-motivated highly-skilled highly-productive easily-disposable workforce has been very beneficial to academia and so the practice has continued over several decades.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Idle Hands in Physics Become Banksters.......

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:
Physicists are like lemons, you squeeze them for all they're worth, and then you throw them away.

~ Carlo Rubbia
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Typhoon.

Maybe not always......

Not sure if it is just an urban legend, but remembering an article that claimed that a number of the Math & Physics Boyz & Grrls let go when the Super Conducting Super Collider was cancelled went to Wall Street and put their Idle Hands to the Devilish work :twisted: of devising toxic financial derivatives that played a part in the recent financial crash....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-cond ... r-collider

Sort of makes me think of a Mad Scientist Horror Movie but instead of making a Giant Robot or a Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Villains ruin the Nation Financially.........

Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like the Congress & the other FIRE/Governmental elites who go back and forth between Washington & Wall Street.......

Mad/Evil Social Scientists/Lawyers...........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light