Good drugs Bad drugs

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Parodite

Good drugs Bad drugs

Post by Parodite »

Wondered what experience you people have (had) with drugs of sorts. I only have experience with alcohol, nicotine (off it now for three weeks 8-) ) and pot. Nicotine sucks big time for known reasons, pot I don't like the effects at all. Alcohol me likes on occasion, my oldest daughter bought me a bottle of Vodka, my favorite disinfective.

Was looking for what seems to me the most evil drug.. and the best one.. if they exist and deserve to be called names.

Worst: Scopolamine, also called "The Devil's Breath"
VICE's Ryan Duffy went to Colombia to check out a strange and powerful drug called Scopolamine, also known as "The Devil's Breath." It's a substance so intense that it renders a person incapable of exercising free will. The first few days in the country were a harrowing montage of freaked-out dealers and unimaginable horror stories about Scopolamine. After meeting only a few people with firsthand experience, the story took a far darker turn than we ever could have imagined.
ToQ8PWYnu04

Best: Ayahuasca
Through the story of his experience taking the potent psychedelic brew Ayahuasca with shamans in the jungles of Peru, Dr. Brown will illustrate the importance of nature conservation for a bright and prosperous future.

In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
OK65pLTocRM

I find this Ayahuasca fascinating. Worth googling people telling about their experiences with it. There is also scientific research:

Fourteen Years of Clinical Research with Ayahuasca - Jordi Riba
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Good drugs Bad drugs

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I found Salvia divinora interesting. Sort of like a light, organic LSD but they made it illegal and it's not worth risking a drug bust for. I'd try ahyuwhateveritis, but I need more frequent flyer miles to get to Peru.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

back in the day (tm) i tried most of them, excluding heroin.

didnt particularly like saliva at all, was an intense physical experience with odd sensations about light and dark, not the creative perspective change you get from lsd or mushrooms.

i just looked up scopolamine and apparently its another word for datura which i did try but i cant really comment on because i only did it once and it was during a bender that included many different things over a 2 day period so it mostly all blurred into the general state of completely wasted with various periods of totaly f*cked up depending on which chemical was in ascendancy.

the bad drugs for me are the amphetamine family, no good comes from them and that includes ectasy, the perspective they give you is so unsustainable and selfish it really damages your ability to be a regular human and content with that.
cocaine was somewhat simmilar but i only had that a few times and never really enjoyed the physical responses.

pot is my weakness, been off it for years now but still crave it regularly, it just works (tm) - i drink now as my wind down but its a poor substitute.

as mentioned above i also really enjoyed lsd and mushrooms but i pushed them as far as i could, dont think their would ever be anything left in them for me now.

ive also managed to quit nicotene over the last few months, still leaning on the "plastic ciggies" twice a day when i lose willpower but mostly feel ive broken it now, worst case will be using the replacements for a longer period than intended.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Thanks gents.

Noddy. As for nicotine I've quit a number of times so know the drill. After 2-3 weeks of serious effort, it takes me 6-12 months to forget about it. I read once abt research suggesting that nicotine addiction (and/or some of the other chemicals in cigs ?) is also connected with functions of memory. Meaning that simply the memory of smoking a cig is a crave and trigger to start again.

Ayahuasca in Holland is legal for Santo Daime congregations. I think in the US it might be legal as well for this Church. One of those Churches I found is not too far away from where I live. Maybe I'll visit them and give it a try. They welcome guests to join in. A ceremony should look like this, Hallelujah Amen (I do like the Brazillian hymn tune though):

ARDHjjiT9Go

Hard to imagine a wild monkey like me stepping in line :oops: However as with the Shamanic singing, the rythmic humming .. I can imagine it to be important for keeping your tripping brain on track and not derail into a bad trip with panic attacks and a general anxiety disorder afterwards.

The doses they use are rather low I understood. As with every medicine the dose, side effects, counter indications re conditions and other drugs are important. Ill adviced to be on Prozac or other anti-depressants of same family, or suffer a serious bi-polar disorder. Also ill adviced to use it with South-American Shamans IMO. Some of them are unexperienced, and/or only for the money, some even with criminal intentions. A number of women have been raped. Also more bad trips there since those shamans love to add other plants like toe, which easily overdoses into bad tripping.
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... r/7220685/
Young man leaps to death after eating pot-laced cookie
Sadie Gurman, Associated Press 5:36 p.m. EDT April 2, 2014
AP Rethinking Pot The Experiment Begins

(Photo: Ed Andrieski AP)
SHARE 55 CONNECT 31 TWEET 15 COMMENTEMAILMORE

DENVER (AP) - A Wyoming college student visiting Denver on spring break jumped to his death after eating a marijuana cookie that his friend legally purchased in one of Colorado's recreational pot shops, authorities said Wednesday.

An autopsy report lists marijuana intoxication as a "significant contributing factor" in the death of 19-year-old Levi Thamba Pongi, a native of the Republic of Congo who fell from a motel balcony on March 11.

Pongi's friends told investigators he ate the cookie and "exhibited hostile behavior" that included pulling things off walls and speaking erratically, the report said.

Attempts by the three friends to calm Pongi seemed to work until he went outside and jumped over the balcony railing, according to the report.

RELATED: Pot-laced 'edibles' popular in Colo.

Denver police ruled the death an accident and their investigation remains open.​

Colorado law bans the sale of recreational marijuana products to people under 21. Possession by people under 21 is also against the law. Authorities said one of Pongi's friends was old enough to buy the cookie from a pot shop.

The medical examiner's office had Pongi's body tested for at least 250 different substances, including bath salts and synthetic marijuana, which are known to cause strange behavior. His blood tested positive only for THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, according to the report.

One of Pongi's friends also tried the cookie but stopped after feeling sick, said Michelle Weiss-Samaras, a spokeswoman for the Denver County medical examiner's office.

The marijuana concentration in Pongi's blood was 7.2 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood. Colorado law says juries can assume someone is driving while impaired by marijuana if their blood contains more than 5 nanograms per milliliter of the chemical.

Officials at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., say Pongi started taking classes as an exchange student in January. He was studying engineering.

"The Northwest College campus community continues to grieve after Levy's death," the college said in a statement. "All of us were deeply saddened by this tragic incident and feel for his family."
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The psychedelic active chemical in Ayahuasca is DMT, Dimethyltryptamine.
N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT or N,N-DMT) is a psychedelic compound of the tryptamine family. When ingested, DMT acts as a hallucinogenic drug.[3] Depending on the dose and method of administration, its subjective effects can range from short-lived, milder psychedelic states to powerful immersive experiences; these are often described as a total loss of connection to external reality and an experience of encountering indescribable spiritual/alien beings and realms.[4] Indigenous Amazonian Amerindian cultures consume DMT as the primary psychoactive in ayahuasca, a shamanistic brew used for divinatory and healing purposes. In terms of pharmacology, ayahuasca combines DMT with an MAOI, an enzyme inhibitor that allows DMT to be orally active.[5] Its presence is widespread throughout the plant kingdom.[6][7] DMT occurs in trace amounts in mammals, including humans, where it putatively functions as a trace amine neurotransmitter/neuromodulator.[8] It is originally derived from the essential amino acid tryptophan and ultimately produced by the enzyme INMT during normal metabolism.[9] The significance of its widespread natural presence remains undetermined. DMT is structurally analogous to the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HT) and the hormone melatonin, and furthermore functionally analogous to other psychedelic tryptamines, such as 5-MeO-DMT, bufotenin, psilocin, and psilocybin.

[...]
A high dosed trip with DMT dwarfes even LSD into a cosy picnic. Very potent stuff. Lots of experience reports on youtube.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:The psychedelic active chemical in Ayahuasca is DMT, Dimethyltryptamine.
N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT or N,N-DMT) is a psychedelic compound of the tryptamine family. When ingested, DMT acts as a hallucinogenic drug.[3] Depending on the dose and method of administration, its subjective effects can range from short-lived, milder psychedelic states to powerful immersive experiences; these are often described as a total loss of connection to external reality and an experience of encountering indescribable spiritual/alien beings and realms.[4] Indigenous Amazonian Amerindian cultures consume DMT as the primary psychoactive in ayahuasca, a shamanistic brew used for divinatory and healing purposes. In terms of pharmacology, ayahuasca combines DMT with an MAOI, an enzyme inhibitor that allows DMT to be orally active.[5] Its presence is widespread throughout the plant kingdom.[6][7] DMT occurs in trace amounts in mammals, including humans, where it putatively functions as a trace amine neurotransmitter/neuromodulator.[8] It is originally derived from the essential amino acid tryptophan and ultimately produced by the enzyme INMT during normal metabolism.[9] The significance of its widespread natural presence remains undetermined. DMT is structurally analogous to the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HT) and the hormone melatonin, and furthermore functionally analogous to other psychedelic tryptamines, such as 5-MeO-DMT, bufotenin, psilocin, and psilocybin.

[...]
A high dosed trip with DMT dwarfes even LSD into a cosy picnic. Very potent stuff. Lots of experience reports on youtube.
There is a big difference between synthesizing or isolating one active substance and using the entire botanical. Chewing coca leaves is not like snorting cocaine and crack isn't like powder. Ayahuasca is a compound of many botanicals, so I wouldn't simply equate it to DMT.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:There is a big difference between synthesizing or isolating one active substance and using the entire botanical. Chewing coca leaves is not like snorting cocaine and crack isn't like powder. Ayahuasca is a compound of many botanicals, so I wouldn't simply equate it to DMT.
From what I read, DMT is the chemical that does all the psychedelic work in Ayahuasca. Usually Ayahuasca has two plant components; one that contains the DMT (it is a chemical that naturally exists in nature in many plants, and animals humans included), and one that makes sure the DMT is not destroyed in the digestive tract before it reaches the brain. Its effects then last for a number of hours. DMT that enters the system via smoking DMT christals in a crack pipe or via intravenous injection is almosty immediate but the trip lasts much shorter, 5-20 minutes.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Some discussion about the different experience of smoking DMT versus oral use of Ayahuasca.

The main differences between the experiences of smoking freebase DMT and taking ayahuasca:
[...]
The main differences between the experiences of smoking freebase DMT and taking ayahuasca can be (approximately) summarized as this:

1. Duration. Smoking DMT creates an almost immediate experience that can last 20 or 30 minutes at the most, with most experiences being considerably shorter. An ayahuasca journey takes many hours, and after an often slow start, can evolve into a series of peaks and lows that can last up to 10 or 12 hours.

2. Intensity. Smoking DMT can lead to a virtual explosion of imagery that is too complex, too rapidly changing, and just too much too handle. Ayahuasca offers an often more linear experience that is seemingly easier to comprehend and remember – though in the accounts of the ayahuasca experience at its most titanic, the user is once again often overwhelmed by the frequency and intensity of the visions at their peak.

3. Set-and-Setting. While many DMT smokers like to use an element of ritual in their personal set-and-setting, since the experience is brief in duration with an almost 100% return to physical ‘baseline’ (if not psychological!), DMT can be smoked almost anywhere, and judging by it’s now common appearance amongst the crowds at West Coast festivals, and the first police reports of the drugs appearance from New Jersey to Mississippi, it obviously increasingly is. (A recent trip-report described a sky-diver taking a hit of DMT before he jumped out of a plane!). The consumption of ayahuasca on the other hand virtually demands a ritualized setting; the length of the experience coupled with the physical distress of a brew that often incites vomiting necessitates the need for a suitable environment and experienced guides.
[...]
Dclx1zJDNv4
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Good site:
http://www.maps.org/about/mission/
Our Mission

Founded in 1986, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana.

Our Work

MAPS furthers its mission by:
•Developing psychedelics and marijuana into prescription medicines
•Training therapists and working to establish a network of treatment centers
•Supporting scientific research into spirituality, creativity, and neuroscience
•Educating the public honestly about the risks and benefits of psychedelics and marijuana.

Our Vision
MAPS envisions a world where psychedelics and marijuana are safely and legally available for beneficial uses, and where research is governed by rigorous scientific evaluation of their risks and benefits.

Our Values
•Transparency — Information is shared openly and clearly. Communications are respectful, honest, and forthright.
•Passion and Perseverance — We persist in the face of challenges. We have a sense of urgency about our work, and know that it's a long-term effort.
•Intelligent Risk — Our decisions are informed by research. We try new things and learn from our mistakes.
•Trust and Accountability — We value integrity and honesty, and embrace high standards.

Learn about our current funding priorities.

MAPS relies on the generosity of individual donors to achieve our mission. Now that research into the beneficial potential of psychedelics is again being conducted under federal guidelines, the challenge has become one of funding. No funding is currently available for this research from governments, pharmaceutical companies, or major foundations. That means that the future of psychedelic and marijuana research is in the hands of individual donors.
Interesting:
http://www.maps.org/research/mdma/