Spengler discovers quantum physics.....

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Spengler discovers quantum physics.....

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

In a roundabout fashion, but it starts here with this, the notion that G_d roughed out the universe and left it for mankind to buff it up to specs:
2. How, indeed, can a good Creation produce an overwhelming preponderance of damned souls? That paradox lies at the heart of the particularist-universalist divide. Judaism is not a salvific religion in the Christian sense: the World to Come figures only hazily in Jewish thinking, and the rabbis taught that righteous Gentiles have as much share in the World to Come as pious Jews. But rabbinic Judaism has quite a different view of the goodness of Creation: God left Creation in an unfinished, imperfect state, so that humanity would have the task of perfecting it. See Why Intelligent Design subverts faith, Asia Times Online, October 23, 2012.
We go to that page to discover:
Einstein was not only irreligious, but wrong. He could not countenance the uncertain world of the quantum revolution that emerged in the mid-1920s, and spent the last three decades of his career in a fruitless quest to restore determinism to physics. What Einstein eschewed, though, was a liberating event for religious thought, wrote Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik, the leading mind of 20th-century Orthodox Judaism: As long as mathematical determinism ruled physics, he observed, religious philosophy was excluded. The truth of Soloveitchik's observation is self-evident on reflection: If nature can explain itself through deterministic models, then religion can have nothing to say about the world outside of itself.
The Uncertainty Principle:
The most devastating refutation of determinism came from Austrian mathematician Kurt Goedel, whose famous incompleteness theorems of 1931 proved that no mathematical system could prove all of its own assumptions. It also proved that we can formulate mathematical statements that are known to be true, indeed are true by definition, but that cannot be formally proved.

That ruined the great mathematical project of the early 20th century, the quest to find a comprehensive logical foundation of mathematics. A deeply religious man, Goedel noted that this presented a problem for the philosophers, who sought a deterministic system to explain mathematics without recourse to human intuition (or divine inspiration). But it was of small concern to the mathematicians, who always would have an infinite number of new problems to solve. Goedel was optimistic that all mathematical problems eventually could be solved, but with intuition rather than with a general algorithm.
Don't know about this, but it sounds sorta quantum-y.....;>....:
Try to imagine your own funeral; even if you are in the coffin, you are present in the thoughts and feelings of your family and friends, and you feel yourself to be still present. Then imagine dying alone as the last speaker of your language. We exist through our ancestors and our children, and through the transmission of our culture. But individuals who foresee the extinction of their entire culture not only are quite able to imagine their own non-existence, but often desire it avidly. That is why, for example, some Muslim countries today produce so many volunteers for suicide attacks. Heidegger's contemporary, the religious existentialist Franz Rosenzweig, explains this clearly, but his name appears nowhere in this volume.
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Re: Spengler discovers quantum physics.....

Post by Typhoon »

Not even wrong.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

When philosophers and priests go quantum... fasten your seat belts.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

What we see is that quantum physics is viewed as salvation from causality and material determinism and has appeal to all sorts of phreaks, not just devoutly religious ones. A promise of a happy land where unicorn farts taste like cotton candy and time travel is a magic reset button which will fix all the bad choices that affect your life.....'>...........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:When philosophers and priests go quantum... fasten your seat belts.
Indeed.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Doe G_d Play Dice or Play BlackJack with the Universe.....

Post by monster_gardener »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:In a roundabout fashion, but it starts here with this, the notion that G_d roughed out the universe and left it for mankind to buff it up to specs:
2. How, indeed, can a good Creation produce an overwhelming preponderance of damned souls? That paradox lies at the heart of the particularist-universalist divide. Judaism is not a salvific religion in the Christian sense: the World to Come figures only hazily in Jewish thinking, and the rabbis taught that righteous Gentiles have as much share in the World to Come as pious Jews. But rabbinic Judaism has quite a different view of the goodness of Creation: God left Creation in an unfinished, imperfect state, so that humanity would have the task of perfecting it. See Why Intelligent Design subverts faith, Asia Times Online, October 23, 2012.
We go to that page to discover:
Einstein was not only irreligious, but wrong. He could not countenance the uncertain world of the quantum revolution that emerged in the mid-1920s, and spent the last three decades of his career in a fruitless quest to restore determinism to physics. What Einstein eschewed, though, was a liberating event for religious thought, wrote Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik, the leading mind of 20th-century Orthodox Judaism: As long as mathematical determinism ruled physics, he observed, religious philosophy was excluded. The truth of Soloveitchik's observation is self-evident on reflection: If nature can explain itself through deterministic models, then religion can have nothing to say about the world outside of itself.
The Uncertainty Principle:
The most devastating refutation of determinism came from Austrian mathematician Kurt Goedel, whose famous incompleteness theorems of 1931 proved that no mathematical system could prove all of its own assumptions. It also proved that we can formulate mathematical statements that are known to be true, indeed are true by definition, but that cannot be formally proved.

That ruined the great mathematical project of the early 20th century, the quest to find a comprehensive logical foundation of mathematics. A deeply religious man, Goedel noted that this presented a problem for the philosophers, who sought a deterministic system to explain mathematics without recourse to human intuition (or divine inspiration). But it was of small concern to the mathematicians, who always would have an infinite number of new problems to solve. Goedel was optimistic that all mathematical problems eventually could be solved, but with intuition rather than with a general algorithm.
Don't know about this, but it sounds sorta quantum-y.....;>....:
Try to imagine your own funeral; even if you are in the coffin, you are present in the thoughts and feelings of your family and friends, and you feel yourself to be still present. Then imagine dying alone as the last speaker of your language. We exist through our ancestors and our children, and through the transmission of our culture. But individuals who foresee the extinction of their entire culture not only are quite able to imagine their own non-existence, but often desire it avidly. That is why, for example, some Muslim countries today produce so many volunteers for suicide attacks. Heidegger's contemporary, the religious existentialist Franz Rosenzweig, explains this clearly, but his name appears nowhere in this volume.
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Lzzrd Grrl.
He could not countenance the uncertain world of the quantum revolution that emerged in the mid-1920s,
Remembering an argument between Einstein & Niels Bohr with Einstein declaring "G_d does not throw dice with the Universe!" and Bohr replying "Stop telling G_d what to do! " :lol:

But I wonder if G_d plays blackjack....

Blackjack potentially could allow some durian, durian Savant that it is, to play against G_d and win on a Rainy day! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_man
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light