Science fair help requested

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Nonc Hilaire

Science fair help requested

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

8th grade science fair. My daughter needs an experimental chemistry or physics project.

Must be extremely simple and non-toxic. Suggestions please!
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Re: Science fair help requested

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc, a couple quick thoughts

making a magnet from a battery, some wire and a nail or iron bar.

dropping different objects from the same elevation and recording fall times or watching to see which falls fastest.

Weigh objects with a fish scale and then weigh the same objects submerged in a tank of water (Archimedes Principle)

setting a piece of magnesium on fire with a propane torch or maybe even a magnifying glass

setting a piece of paper on fire with a magnifying glass (outside)

writing their names on a piece of wood with a magnifying glass (outside)

placing an object on different material and recording the force need to pull the object horizontally

take them to the ocean so they can watch sea level rise due to AGW ;)

fill a container with water and freeze it so they can see it break/expand the container

and my favorite: peeing on an electric fence :lol:

I hope this helps! let me know how the last one works out! :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

i enjoyed electro plating with copper sulfate at that age, iron turns into shiny new copper so it has a certain visual appeal.

just found this tutorial on a simple search, im sure their are a million others.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/a/elec ... ce-project
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

making a motor with magnets and copper coil.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Do it yourself DNA extraction:

http://genetics.thetech.org/online-exhi ... wberry-dna

DNA [actually, gene] yield by mass for different biologicals might be an interesting measure as a sci fair result.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

magnets and compasses

buy a cheap block and tackle to use as a force multiplier

use levers as force multipliers

get some wooden dowel rods to use as rollers and let them push some heavy objects around
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:Do it yourself DNA extraction:

http://genetics.thetech.org/online-exhi ... wberry-dna

DNA [actually, gene] yield by mass for different biologicals might be an interesting measure as a sci fair result.

nifty.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Thanks, friends. All suggestions being forwarded to the Jr. Scientist.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Conductivity of electricity in salt water: hook up a small light bulb or LED to a battery, with the circuit completed by a cup or baking dish filled with water.

I remember the year I did that, I only got an honorable mention but someone who poured water on a pile of dirt to demonstrate "erosion" placed in the top 3. I guess they figured (correctly) that my dad came up with the idea, but whose father didn't? :P
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Zack Morris wrote:Conductivity of electricity in salt water: hook up a small light bulb or LED to a battery, with the circuit completed by a cup or baking dish filled with water.

I remember the year I did that, I only got an honorable mention but someone who poured water on a pile of dirt to demonstrate "erosion" placed in the top 3. I guess they figured (correctly) that my dad came up with the idea, but whose father didn't? :P
Good one. This is her third project and the value of a simple, uncomplicated project goes up each year.

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Simple Minded wrote:Nonc, a couple quick thoughts

While we're talking about magnetism, explain why a canadian nickel (97% pure nickel) is magnetic and an american nickel (85% nickel), is not. What makes some material magnetic (relatively few) and the effects of alloying on that property.....'>>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:

While we're talking about magnetism, explain why a canadian nickel (97% pure nickel) is magnetic and an american nickel (85% nickel), is not. What makes some material magnetic (relatively few) and the effects of alloying on that property.....'>>........
Here you go Liz. http://science.howstuffworks.com/magnet.htm

Sorry I am lazy today. In short, magnetic material contain iron or ferrous metals. The more iron the metal contains, the more magnetic the material.

Analogous to the nickels.... 300 series stainless steels are non magnetic, 400 series stainless steels are magnetic.

If that explanation does not work for anyone, maybe the magnet was black, and the racist American nickel was not attracted to the magnet, while the non-racist Canadian nickel was attracted to the magnet. :o

One should never try to separate science from politics too much or loss of funding may result! ;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:Conductivity of electricity in salt water: hook up a small light bulb or LED to a battery, with the circuit completed by a cup or baking dish filled with water.

Zack,

You should have tried peeing on an electric fence! You could have couched it in terms of human cruelty to animals. Guaranteed to get the blue ribbon!

You lost cause you weren't politically chic enough!

I'll bet the erosion experiment came from the kid or the father peeing on a dusty road or an ant hill....
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:

Here you go Liz. http://science.howstuffworks.com/magnet.htm

Sorry I am lazy today. In short, magnetic material contain iron or ferrous metals. The more iron the metal contains, the more magnetic the material.

Analogous to the nickels.... 300 series stainless steels are non magnetic, 400 series stainless steels are magnetic.

If that explanation does not work for anyone, maybe the magnet was black, and the racist American nickel was not attracted to the magnet, while the non-racist Canadian nickel was attracted to the magnet. :o

One should never try to separate science from politics too much or loss of funding may result! ;)
Probably sexual preference. American nickels have a man on them, but Canadian nickels have a woman on one side and a close-up of her beaver on the other.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Probably sexual preference. American nickels have a man on them, but Canadian nickels have a woman on one side and a close-up of her beaver on the other.

If you have awesome beavers, you flaunt them.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YMix wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Probably sexual preference. American nickels have a man on them, but Canadian nickels have a woman on one side and a close-up of her beaver on the other.

You have inadvertently stumbled upon the reason why I am not the Queen of England.

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
YMix wrote:

You have inadvertently stumbled upon the reason why I am not the Queen of England.
and yet..... strangely enough .... I still find myself extremely "attracted" to you.... :oops:

as often happens with men practicing science, a bunch of undisciplined clowns, screwing around, advance science inadvertently to benefit mankind (and babes too)!

For your young'un, I propose the following experiment.

Are different color magnets attracted to metals with different force levels?
Are some magnets stronger or lazier than others if they are different colors?
Are some magnets attracted to a nickel with an image of Thomas Jefferson?
Are some magnets attracted to nickels with an image of a white women or a beaver?
Which side of the Canadian nickel is more attractive to whom?
Is this due to racism or sexism or anti 1%ism or anti new world bias?

You should help your kid get ahead of the curve by abandoning science and entering politics or law. It will be a much better way to fund your golden years! ;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc,

After giving this more thought, your yute should probably avoid the chic sensitive topics of racism, sexism, wealth inequality and stick with science that is "settled."

Get some magnets, some new nickels, some nickels that are over 30 years old, and maybe a few that are over 100 years old. Ignore the difference in metallurgy and attribute the difference in magnetic attraction to the negative effect of AGW on magnetism.

blue ribbon for sure!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NH, do let us now how the SF project goes.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Will do. Right now the favorite is making batteries out of fruits and vegetables, mostly because it is simple and I have a voltmeter.

The graduated cylinder I bought for last year's project graduated all the way up to lab glass heaven when the dog knocked it off the table.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Brilliant.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:Image

Brilliant.
Amen.

Teresa of Ávila