3/14/15 a day that will live in infinity

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

3/14/15 a day that will live in infinity

Post by Doc »

Pi Day: Circle Your Calendar -- Once-in-a-Century Day Coming This Weekend

Mar 14, 2015, 10:07 AM ET

By PAUL H.B. SHIN

PAUL H.B. SHIN More from PAUL »

Circle around, math fans. There's a once-in-a-century Pi Day coming this weekend.

The day that celebrates the mathematical constant pi is Saturday. And because it's 2015, this particular sequence of numbers in the calendar that matches pi -- 3/14/15 -- won't come around for another century.

While the mathematical constant, which represents the ratio of circumference of a circle divided by its diameter, is often abbreviated as 3.14 for convenience, pi actually has an infinite number of digits beyond the decimal point, starting with 3.141592653.

So, expect a good deal of celebration at 9:26 a.m. at 53 seconds -- with the pastry pie, for obvious phonetic and geometrical reasons.

In fact, there will be a point between 9:26 a.m. 53 seconds and 54 seconds that the clock matches the number pi down to an infinite number of digits.

And as befitting its reputation as an elite institution of math, science and engineering, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has announced that it will send out its acceptance letters for this year's incoming class on Pi Day, precisely at 9:26 a.m.

That should round out the day -- at least for those accepted.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=29623233
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
YMix

Re: 3/14/15 a day that will live in infinity

Post by YMix »

Let it come and pass unnoticed. It's actually 14.03.2015.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

real men (tm) use 2015-03-14 as per the iso standard.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

As novelist John Green put it, "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities".
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:As novelist John Green put it, "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities".
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

fwiw, the american "middle endian" habit of mm/dd/yy is one of the most painful and irritating things a computer programmer has to deal with, all day every day it causes confusion and mistakes.

06/07/08 .. ARGH... 3 possible interpretations, all correct, 2 of which are wrong.

its right next to daylight savings and spreadsheets in the retarded ideas that should have been destroyed before they spread category.
ultracrepidarian