The Brain

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Parodite

Re: The Brain

Post by Parodite »

Always wondering what I'm doing living in my brain, that cathedral made of neurons and what not. Good to know it is not made of inflexible marble but of things more flexible.

AIhGje7TMCY
Deep down I'm very superficial
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I made the claim elsewhere that causality and probability are more likely features of how the brain models reality (the conscious flow of perception) and not necessarily of experience-independent objective reality. I would even claim that it is very unlikely that cause-effect and probability are features of experience-independent reality at all due to the explanatory distance (tm) that exists between input and output; all that happens before a conscious percept is constructed is immensely complex. God probably doesn't play dice, but nor does he "cause" events to happen either.

The idea that the brain does some statistics of sorts:

LWZvp_3M7Ho

What these people in the video talk about is of course "just another model trying to explain what really happens" but that is the whole point of it: the brain models and will always do that.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/scientist ... n-13151184
Scientists discover a genetic link between cannabis use and SCHIZOPHRENIA

Large-scale genetic study is the biggest of its kind ever to look at the potential side effects of cannabis use

A new scientific study has linked smoking cannabis with certain psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia.

Researchers from Radboud University looked at data from more than 180,000 people as part of the study.

They uncovered that people with schizophrenia are also more likely to use cannabis.

The large-scale genetic study, published in Nature Neuroscience , was conducted by a team of scientists part of the International Cannabis Consortium.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

LQucESRF3Sg
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

I quantum think. Therefore I am, and am not.

https://www.livescience.com/quantum-lik ... posed.html
What is quantum cognition? Physics theory could predict human behavior.

By Nicoletta Lanese - Staff Writer 2 hours ago

Some scientists think quantum mechanics can help explain human decision-making.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Using probability in daily life:

zankirmsRAc

Me likes her approach. Maybe (!) the brain is a Boolean event_processor_probability_calculator. An epistemological knowledge machine creating representations of “the most likely event to happen next” each moment. Think of the magic if such an accomplishment were true!

If it also means our experience independent world (that ontological ghost always hiding behind the experiential veil) has same or similar properties… remains to be seen. Most likely not, in my estimation.

But indeed, we don't need to know the ontological; only do the effing calc and it works!

"Probable nonsense" also comes to mind as a side effect when we try to guesstimate the nature of ontological reality, i.e., "the moon when nobody looks at it". Fun bits about yes/no free will, consciousness arising in a physical brain, what is a quantum measurement, do we live in a simulation etc. The usual gobbledegook.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Groundbreaking Discoveries About Human Brain and Neuronal Complexity

Brainstem the most dense and complex structure-function part of the brain.... who would have thought. Puts the much appraised "seat of consciousness" ie. the cerebral neo-cortex and its frontal lobes on the onlookers reserve bench, or playing a second violin at best. Considering the brains of other animals and how they outperform us on many so fronts... the conclusion has to be that human consciousness and intelligence are highly overrated.