Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Typhoon »

Cosmos | Scientists invent the abacus

Beyond the tongue-in-cheek headline, this is a brilliant idea regarding non-von Neumann computing architectures.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Re: Quantum weirdness

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Just be glad there is no cryptocoin ico based on a quantum blockchain.
These blockchains would suffer infinite regress. Always hard to know where to start and where to end in an all-entangled quantum world while randomness shakes the bucket continuously. Jabberwalkie chains.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

A certain primitive mind is attracted to icons and signifiers of magical powers, and that's why SJW's tend to gravitate to the powers suggested in terms like 'intersectionality' and 'quantum'. Building chants and rituals around words like these keeps the demons of reason at bay.....;).........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:A certain primitive mind is attracted to icons and signifiers of magical powers, and that's why SJW's tend to gravitate to the powers suggested in terms like 'intersectionality' and 'quantum'. Building chants and rituals around words like these keeps the demons of reason at bay.....;).........
This is so well written that I'm going to use it as some point. With your permission.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Absolutely..... with my regards....^^........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:A certain primitive mind is attracted to icons and signifiers of magical powers, and that's why SJW's tend to gravitate to the powers suggested in terms like 'intersectionality' and 'quantum'. Building chants and rituals around words like these keeps the demons of reason at bay.....;).........
This is so well written that I'm going to use it as some point. With your permission.
Seconded.

Perhaps our mod could create a "Hall of Fame" thread for outstanding posts.

Inclusion requires nomination and being seconded and thirded.....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AIP Physics | Relativity Survives Scrutiny, Again
Two independent studies show no evidence that a fundamental symmetry in relativity, known as Lorentz invariance, breaks down.
Parodite

Double Dick - Sex in the quantum world

Post by Parodite »

Well, words do serve a purpose.. so beware. And look who does the talking. To be in a "superposition" is a first warning. It smells hierarchy, patriarchy. Then, to be "in two places at the same time" would normally ring the alarm bells. A guy claiming to be home with his wife but at the time being in the house of his female neighbor ready to have sex with her. He could be with his wife or his neighbor.. ready to have sex. But since no one is watching yet, doing a measurement that will show him either having sex with his wife or his neighbor... it is better to assume he is having sex with both of them at the same time. That cloud of superposition where he has sex with two women at the same time in two different places.. is just a man's dream. Only thing that matters is the chance of being caught; doing it with your wife or neighbor respectively. QM will give you the calc.

Unfortunately of course superposition means no-sex, at least as of yet. A cloud of potential sex. But guys, never giving up on the other women around, now have found a solution to this torture of mere potential sex: screw your wife, but use spooky sex at a distance to screw the other woman anyways. That no sex is possible with faster than light speeds.. don't worry about it. In case of an emergency just assume having two dicks at the same time! Thusly Double Dick was born.

As Typhoon already mentioned... there is a caveat and problem; decoherence. Being in a state of potential sex is the coherent state. No sex, the pious meditative state, being pure with not even your own hand starting the process of decoherence.. is VERY fragile. The Universe seems rather brutal about it. It uses its every power to deny the pure state to exist; only its own death might give you that. And the sea was no more.

Rule number one: don't try not to have sex! Superpositions where you have no sex at all (or with everybody at the same time depending on personal preference)..is death, what is-not. Everything that tries to be pure and holy will decohere... violently. Crucifixion.
Simple Minded

Re: Double Dick - Sex in the quantum world

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Well, words do serve a purpose.. so beware. And look who does the talking. To be in a "superposition" is a first warning. It smells hierarchy, patriarchy. Then, to be "in two places at the same time" would normally ring the alarm bells. A guy claiming to be home with his wife but at the time being in the house of his female neighbor ready to have sex with her. He could be with his wife or his neighbor.. ready to have sex. But since no one is watching yet, doing a measurement that will show him either having sex with his wife or his neighbor... it is better to assume he is having sex with both of them at the same time. That cloud of superposition where he has sex with two women at the same time in two different places.. is just a man's dream. Only thing that matters is the chance of being caught; doing it with your wife or neighbor respectively. QM will give you the calc.

Unfortunately of course superposition means no-sex, at least as of yet. A cloud of potential sex. But guys, never giving up on the other women around, now have found a solution to this torture of mere potential sex: screw your wife, but use spooky sex at a distance to screw the other woman anyways. That no sex is possible with faster than light speeds.. don't worry about it. In case of an emergency just assume having two dicks at the same time! Thusly Double Dick was born.

As Typhoon already mentioned... there is a caveat and problem; decoherence. Being in a state of potential sex is the coherent state. No sex, the pious meditative state, being pure with not even your own hand starting the process of decoherence.. is VERY fragile. The Universe seems rather brutal about it. It uses its every power to deny the pure state to exist; only its own death might give you that. And the sea was no more.

Rule number one: don't try not to have sex! Superpositions where you have no sex at all (or with everybody at the same time depending on personal preference)..is death, what is-not. Everything that tries to be pure and holy will decohere... violently. Crucifixion.
Marxism solves all these psychological dilemma's, including INcoherance.

One woman, two, three, men, farms animals, interplanetary sex...... it's all just electrons and synapses....

Possible even if you have never even opened a Physics book..... Epiphany?
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Brilliant, Dr Parodite. So lucid that my comprehensive probability stats are over median and can feel my self awareness red shifting into male dominance escape velocity. Now whether the bi stable state of my insecurity and neuroticism can reach resonant oscillation frequency before the decay rate of my self esteem falls below that necessary to establish critical mass needed to initiate social change effect - and to induce cavitation into the patriarchal static field....... and the glass ceiling.....'>.......
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Brilliant, Dr Parodite. So lucid that my comprehensive probability stats are over median and can feel my self awareness red shifting into male dominance escape velocity. Now whether the bi stable state of my insecurity and neuroticism can reach resonant oscillation frequency before the decay rate of my self esteem falls below that necessary to establish critical mass needed to initiate social change effect - and to induce cavitation into the patriarchal static field....... and the glass ceiling.....'>.......
The surreal rules..as always. ;) My dilemma is what to fear more.. known knowns, known unknowns, or the unknown unknowns. Must be some intersectionality there too, a Hierarchy of Fears where all knowns and unknowns manifest at the top and God trembles facing his own image. Hence the most scary thought is to become like Gods. Thou shallt better not be like Them. I think our gem JBPeterson is stepping into a trap.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Brilliant, Dr Parodite. So lucid that my comprehensive probability stats are over median and can feel my self awareness red shifting into male dominance escape velocity. Now whether the bi stable state of my insecurity and neuroticism can reach resonant oscillation frequency before the decay rate of my self esteem falls below that necessary to establish critical mass needed to initiate social change effect - and to induce cavitation into the patriarchal static field....... and the glass ceiling.....'>.......
The surreal rules..as always. ;) My dilemma is what to fear more.. known knowns, known unknowns, or the unknown unknowns. Must be some intersectionality there too, a Hierarchy of Fears where all knowns and unknowns manifest at the top and God trembles facing his own image. Hence the most scary thought is to become like Gods. Thou shallt better not be like Them. I think our gem JBPeterson is stepping into a trap.
the eternal dilemma of man, how to resolve the external world with our internal expectations, observations, interpretations, and experiences creates lots of gods, political parties, aliens, myths, and rationalizations of all sorts.

I suppose that if you ask for help, someone will answer the call.

two sayings come to mind: 'the greatest battles of life are fought out daily in the silent chambers of the soul." "just as the battle is within, so is the victory."
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Parodite wrote:
the eternal dilemma of man, how to resolve the external world with our internal expectations, observations, interpretations, and experiences creates lots of gods, political parties, aliens, myths, and rationalizations of all sorts.

I suppose that if you ask for help, someone will answer the call.

two sayings come to mind: 'the greatest battles of life are fought out daily in the silent chambers of the soul." "just as the battle is within, so is the victory."
Funny how, in our minds, things are superimposed.

From an SJW theory of everything viewpoint, there are probably more flavors of gender than there are quantum particles in the universe Parodite uses the term "Double Dick". (Inferring there are only two states) When by convention it should be a "qudick". Which allows for an infinite number of spatial, preferential, and readiness states that sum up as probabilities in a quantum flux field . It is theorized that sexual quantum entanglements of the mind offer more possibilities than the Universe as a whole.

For exampl:e Yesterday a person was a 43 year old man. Today she is a 20 year old Asian women that that thinks she is Schrodinger cat, and loves rap music. For tomorrow the state is unknown.

So the answer for the state of mind of yesterday is "Yes/No" The answer for today is Ok.., Ok... , Ok..., maybe, and hell no. While tomorrow is but one the day of the future and always will be. Thus encompassing infinite possibilities in a finite time plane.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Doc wrote:From an SJW theory of everything viewpoint, there are probably more flavors of gender than there are quantum particles in the universe Parodite uses the term "Double Dick". (Inferring there are only two states) When by convention it should be a "qudick". Which allows for an infinite number of spatial, preferential, and readiness states that sum up as probabilities in a quantum flux field . It is theorized that sexual quantum entanglements of the mind offer more possibilities than the Universe as a whole.
In a parallel universe regicide is substituted for gender. 'Dick' seems to remain as a constant...'>...:

w_MSFkZHNi4
Doc

Post by Doc »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:[quote="Doc"From an SJW theory of everything viewpoint, there are probably more flavors of gender than there are quantum particles in the universe Parodite uses the term "Double Dick". (Inferring there are only two states) When by convention it should be a "qudick". Which allows for an infinite number of spatial, preferential, and readiness states that sum up as probabilities in a quantum flux field . It is theorized that sexual quantum entanglements of the mind offer more possibilities than the Universe as a whole.
In a parallel universe regicide is substituted for gender. 'Dick' seems to remain as a constant...'>...:

w_MSFkZHNi4[/quote]

That animation is bizarre. I won't go into the "Ding dong" Wizard of Oz parody as a counter example.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

APS | Space Tests of the Equivalence Principle
The MICROSCOPE satellite mission has tested the equivalence principle with unprecedented precision, showing no deviations from the predictions of general relativity.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

APS | Dice Become Ordered When Stirred, Not Shaken
A jumble of thousands of cubic dice, agitated by an oscillating rotation, can rapidly become completely ordered, a result that is hard to produce with more conventional shaking.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The mechanism of high-temperature* superconductivity, a quantum mechanical phenomena, is one of the great current mysteries in physics.

APS | Cuprate Superconductors May Be Conventional After All
Experiments on a copper-based high-temperature superconductor uncover the existence of vortex states—a hallmark of conventional superconductivity.
*Here, high-temperature means 134K or -139.15C, above the boiling point of liquid nitrogen 77K or −195.79C.

Conventional superconductors, such as the magnets in an MRI scanner, require liquid helium cooling at 4K or −269C in order to operate.

A bit of a problem as helium is becoming scarce and expensive according to some.

Or perhaps not, according to others.

Anyways, understanding high Tc superconductivity would probably the door to many new economically useful materials.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Forbes - Ethan Siegel | Dark Matter Winners And Losers In The Aftermath Of LIGO [detection of grativational waves]

[Tip of the hat to Forbes for having a science section written by scientists that gets it right and does not treat its readership as morans.]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

From superfluids to the ordinary.

Nature | Destabilizing turbulence in pipe flow
Abstract
Turbulence is the major cause of friction losses in transport processes and it is responsible for a drastic drag increase in flows over bounding surfaces. While much effort is invested into developing ways to control and reduce turbulence intensities 1,2,3, so far no methods exist to altogether eliminate turbulence if velocities are sufficiently large. We demonstrate for pipe flow that appropriate distortions to the velocity profile lead to a complete collapse of turbulence and subsequently friction losses are reduced by as much as 90%. . . .
A remarkable result with enormous practical applications.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:.

From superfluids to the ordinary.

Nature | Destabilizing turbulence in pipe flow
Abstract
Turbulence is the major cause of friction losses in transport processes and it is responsible for a drastic drag increase in flows over bounding surfaces. While much effort is invested into developing ways to control and reduce turbulence intensities 1,2,3, so far no methods exist to altogether eliminate turbulence if velocities are sufficiently large. We demonstrate for pipe flow that appropriate distortions to the velocity profile lead to a complete collapse of turbulence and subsequently friction losses are reduced by as much as 90%. . . .
A remarkable result with enormous practical applications.

Thanx ..

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Dorigo | Gravitational Effects Explain Muon Magnetic Moment Anomaly Away

If these calculations are correct, then it is another nail in the coffin of possible physics "beyond the Standard Model".
Surprisingly due to a subtle effect of gravity.

Wikipedia | Anomalous magnetic dipole moment
noddy

Post by noddy »

nifty.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »