Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Science | Error Undoes Faster-Than-Light Neutrino Results
It appears that the faster-than-light neutrino results, announced last September by the OPERA collaboration in Italy, was due to a mistake after all. A bad connection between a GPS unit and a computer may be to blame.
Systematic experimental error it would appear . . . blame the cable guy.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
It appears that the faster-than-light neutrino results, announced last September by the OPERA collaboration in Italy, was due to a mistake after all. A bad connection between a GPS unit and a computer may be to blame.
Science | Official Word on Superluminal Neutrinos Leaves Warp-Drive Fans a Shred of Hope—Barely
The CERN particle physics laboratory in Geneva has confirmed Wednesday's report that a loose fiber-optic cable may be behind measurements that seemed to show neutrinos outpacing the speed of light. But the lab also says another glitch could have caused the experiment to underestimate the particles' speed.

In a statement based on an earlier press release from the OPERA collaboration, CERN said two possible "effects" may have influenced the anomalous measurements. One of them, due to a possible faulty connection between the fiber-optic cable bringing the GPS signals to OPERA and the detector's master clock, would have caused the experiment to underestimate the neutrinos' flight time, as described in the original story. The other effect concerns an oscillator, part of OPERA's particle detector that gives its readings time stamps synchronized to GPS signals. Researchers think correcting for an error in this device would actually increase the anomaly in neutrino velocity, making the particles even speedier than the earlier measurements seemed to show.

CERN's statement says OPERA scientists are studying the "potential extent of these two effects" but doesn't indicate which source of error (if either) is likely to outweigh the other. However, Lucia Votano, director of the Gran Sasso laboratory, says the "main suspicion" focuses on the optical-fiber connection. She adds that OPERA researchers deserve credit for "having tenaciously followed this particular evidence via checks completed in the last few days."

The two effects will get a new round of tests in May, when the two labs are scheduled to make velocity measurements with short-pulsed beams designed to give readings much more precise than scientists have achieved so far.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Science | It's Official: Physics is Hard
Physicists are often interested in mathematically describing how a system behaves: for instance, a formula tracks the motions of the planets and their moons in their complicated dance around the sun. Researchers work out these equations by measuring the objects at various points in time and then developing a formula that links all of those points together, such as filling in a video from a set of snapshots.
Mathematicians recognize a set of truly hard problems that can't be simplified, Cubitt explains. They also know that these problems are all variations of one another. By showing that the challenge of turning physics data into equations is actually one of those problems in disguise, the team showed this task is also truly hard. As a result, any general algorithm that turns a data set into a formula that describes the system over time can't be simplified so that it can run on a computer, the team reports in an upcoming issue of Physical Review Letters.

The physics equations are in good company, according to computer scientist Stephen Cook of the University of Toronto in Canada, who was not involved in the work. "Literally thousands of problems" fall into this category of truly hard problems, he says.

There's still a shred of hope that physicists will find a way to turn these supposedly unsimplifiable problems into computer-solvable forms. If such an easier route were to turn up, profound knock-on effects would ripple through mathematics because it would mean all the other hard problems could be simplified as well. The Clay Mathematics Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts, offers a $1 million prize to anyone who discovers such a universal problem-tenderizer.
NP hard.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Science | Official Word on Superluminal Neutrinos Leaves Warp-Drive Fans a Shred of Hope—Barely
The CERN particle physics laboratory in Geneva has confirmed Wednesday's report that a loose fiber-optic cable may be behind measurements that seemed to show neutrinos outpacing the speed of light. But the lab also says another glitch could have caused the experiment to underestimate the particles' speed.

In a statement based on an earlier press release from the OPERA collaboration, CERN said two possible "effects" may have influenced the anomalous measurements. One of them, due to a possible faulty connection between the fiber-optic cable bringing the GPS signals to OPERA and the detector's master clock, would have caused the experiment to underestimate the neutrinos' flight time, as described in the original story. The other effect concerns an oscillator, part of OPERA's particle detector that gives its readings time stamps synchronized to GPS signals. Researchers think correcting for an error in this device would actually increase the anomaly in neutrino velocity, making the particles even speedier than the earlier measurements seemed to show.

CERN's statement says OPERA scientists are studying the "potential extent of these two effects" but doesn't indicate which source of error (if either) is likely to outweigh the other. However, Lucia Votano, director of the Gran Sasso laboratory, says the "main suspicion" focuses on the optical-fiber connection. She adds that OPERA researchers deserve credit for "having tenaciously followed this particular evidence via checks completed in the last few days."

The two effects will get a new round of tests in May, when the two labs are scheduled to make velocity measurements with short-pulsed beams designed to give readings much more precise than scientists have achieved so far.
PhysOrg | 'Faster-than-light' particles [neutrinos] fade after cross-check
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

On the Origin of Gravity
and the Laws of Newton

Erik Verlinde
Institute for Theoretical Physics
University of Amsterdam
Valckenierstraat 65
1018 XE, Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Abstract
Starting from rst principles and general assumptions Newton's law of grav-
itation is shown to arise naturally and unavoidably in a theory in which space
is emergent through a holographic scenario. Gravity is explained as an entropic
force caused by changes in the information associated with the positions of ma-
terial bodies. A relativistic generalization of the presented arguments directly
leads to the Einstein equations. When space is emergent even Newton's law of
inertia needs to be explained. The equivalence principle leads us to conclude
that it is actually this law of inertia whose origin is entropic.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.0785.pdf
I thought this interesting because it also claims to explain why the missing dark matter is not found thusfar (i.e. it is "dark"); because it isn't there. This guy, a theoretical physics professor in Amsterdam got quite some press here. FWIW, its way beyond my paygrade.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

mODqQvlrgIQ
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Rachel Courtland, The Kilogram, Reinvented

Two difficult experiments are poised to remake one of the world’s most fundamental units.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-elect ... invented/0
Once a year, three officials bearing three separate keys meet at the bottom of a stairwell at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures, in Sèvres, France. There they unlock a vault to check that a plum-size cylinder of platinum iridium alloy is exactly where it should be. Then they close the vault and leave the cylinder to sit alone, under three concentric bell jars, as it has for most of the past 125 years.

This lonely cylinder is the International Prototype of the Kilogram, known colloquially as Le Grand K, and it is the last remaining physical object to define a unit of measure. It’s a quaint throwback to a time when people compared the ocean’s depth to the span of a man’s outstretched arms and the second to a tiny fraction of a year. Now we fix our rulers to the speed of light and our clocks to a spectral property of cesium. By thus linking measurement to fundamental and unchanging phenomena, scientists have paved the way for GPS satellites, gravity-wave detectors, and many other precision technologies that simply wouldn’t have been possible before....

The October meeting marked a big turning point for the kilogram. Delegates from the bureau’s then 55 member countries unanimously agreed on a tentative plan to base the kilogram on a fundamental constant of quantum mechanics. Three other core units—the ampere, the mole, and the kelvin—will likely change at the same time.

This coup is largely the result, after decades of work, of steady strides in two challenging strategies for measuring mass. One approach attempts to pin down the exact electromagnetic force needed to balance the gravitational tug on an object. The other harnesses Cold War–era uranium enrichment technology and a host of experimental techniques to count the number of atoms in extremely round balls of ultrapristine silicon. 

For years, the two approaches have produced starkly conflicting results. But over the past few months, metrologists have been excited to find glimmers of convergence, and the effort to pin down mass once and for all is beginning to pick up steam.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Science | Return of the Vacuum Tube?
Vacuum tubes suffered a slow death during the 1950s and '60s thanks to the invention of the transistor—specifically, the ability to mass-produce transistors by chemically engraving, or etching, pieces of silicon. Transistors were smaller, cheaper, and longer lasting. They could also be packed into microchips to switch on and off according to different, complex inputs, paving the way for smaller, more powerful computers.

But transistors weren't better in all respects. Electrons move more slowly in a solid than in a vacuum, which means transistors are generally slower than vacuum tubes; as a result, computing isn't as quick as it could be. What's more, semiconductors are susceptible to strong radiation, which can disrupt the atomic structure of the silicon such that the charges no longer move properly. That's a big problem for the military and NASA, which need their technology to work in radiation-harsh environments such as outer space.
AzariLoveIran

Nuclear Fusion

Post by AzariLoveIran »

elusive technology that promises a limitless supply of clean energy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :)

New Jersey-based Lawrenceville Plasma Physics Inc and Tehran's Islamic Azad University will jointly design a fusion machine that "would be affordable to construct in industrializing nations", according to a contract signed last weekend and seen by The Guardian.

The partnership comes amid tensions between the US and Iran over allegations that Iran is enriching uranium – a process that is different from fusion – to support a nuclear weapons programme.

Sceptics doubt whether US trade sanctions will permit the collaboration. But LPP claimed in a written statement that the pact qualifies as an official US department of treasury exemption "which authorizes collaborating with academics and research institutions on the … creation and enhancement of written publications."

LPP is scheduled to notify the president's council of advisors on science and technology of its Iranian partnership at 2pm ET on Friday in Washington DC.

Many people regard nuclear fusion as the holy grail of energy sources. Unlike today's nuclear fission, it does not generate power by splitting atoms and leaving behind dangerous waste. Rather, in theory, it fuses them together – the way the sun works – typically combining isotopes of hydrogen known as deuterium and tritium.

Fusion gave rise to the "too cheap to meter" vision in the 1950s, with the notion that a plentiful supply of deuterium could inexpensively meet energy needs. But some 60 years later, it has remained a dream that many experts believe is still at least 30 years away.

The problem is that it currently takes more energy to run fusion than what the process delivers. Two large international government-backed research centers face criticism from opponents who say they are wasting money. One of those, the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) in Cadarahce, France, projects costs of around €13bn just over its first phase, funded in part by the UK as part of the EU's 45% contribution, and by Japan, China, India, Russia, South Korea and the US.

LPP is one of several small companies that believe they can crack fusion far sooner than can ITER or the National Ignition Facility (NIF), another international behemoth, based in Livermore, California.

Two months ago, LPP reported a breakthrough when it confined a gas at 1.8bn degrees C, much higher than the industry record of 1.1bn degrees C that had stood since 1978. Fusion temperatures flash for only nanoseconds and are contained.

The company is taking a significantly different approach friom ITER and NIF, both of which aim to drive turbines from heat created by neutrons that escape in the fusion process.

LPP and Azad University are developing "aneutronic" fusion, which would not rely on neutrons. It would eliminate turbines by providing electricity directly through charged ions.

US startup Tri-Alpha Energy, a secretive company based in Irvine, California, is also working on aneutronic fusion and has received at least $140m in venture capital with backers including Goldman Sachs and reportedly Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. Venture capitalists typically seek financial returns within a few years, not the decades typically ascribed to fusion.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

CERN | Neutrinos sent from CERN to Gran Sasso respect the cosmic speed limit
At the 25th International Conference on Neutrino Physics and Astrophysics in Kyoto today, CERN Research Director Sergio Bertolucci presented results on the time of flight of neutrinos from CERN to the INFN Gran Sasso Laboratory on behalf of four experiments situated at Gran Sasso. The four, Borexino, ICARUS, LVD and OPERA all measure a neutrino time of flight consistent with the speed of light. This is at odds with a measurement that the OPERA collaboration put up for scrutiny last September, indicating that the original OPERA measurement can be attributed to a faulty element of the experiment’s fibre optic timing system.

“Although this result isn’t as exciting as some would have liked,” said Bertolucci, “it is what we all expected deep down. The story captured the public imagination, and has given people the opportunity to see the scientific method in action – an unexpected result was put up for scrutiny, thoroughly investigated and resolved in part thanks to collaboration between normally competing experiments. That’s how science moves forward.”

In another development reported in Kyoto, the OPERA experiment showed evidence for the appearance of a second tau-neutrino in the CERN muon-neutrino beam, this is an important step towards understanding the science of neutrino oscillations.
Background:
Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

PhysOrg | 'Faster-than-light' particles [neutrinos] fade after cross-check
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

CERN | CERN experiments observe particle consistent with long-sought Higgs boson
“We observe in our data clear signs of a new particle, at the level of 5 sigma, in the mass region around 126 GeV. The outstanding performance of the LHC and ATLAS and the huge efforts of many people have brought us to this exciting stage,” said ATLAS experiment spokesperson Fabiola Gianotti, “but a little more time is needed to prepare these results for publication.”

"The results are preliminary but the 5 sigma signal at around 125 GeV we’re seeing is dramatic. This is indeed a new particle. We know it must be a boson and it’s the heaviest boson ever found,” said CMS experiment spokesperson Joe Incandela. “The implications are very significant and it is precisely for this reason that we must be extremely diligent in all of our studies and cross-checks."
“We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature,” said CERN Director General Rolf Heuer. “The discovery of a particle consistent with the Higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle’s properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe.”
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

They found Higgs- Boson, and now apparently, dark matter.

This is a banner week for physics.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Dexter Johnson, Nanoporous Graphene Promises Affordable Water Desalination

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semi ... salination
For some parts of the world desalination of seawater is an important option for accessing fresh drinking water. In 2007 the estimates were that worldwide desalination reached 30 billion liters a day. But the cost of that desalination was at the exorbitant levels of $0.50 to $0.85 per cubic meter.

Because of this huge expense, most desalination production remains in the oil-producing countries of the Persian Gulf, where they can afford the huge energy costs of running the multi-stage flash (MSF) processes. But outside of the Middle East, the predominant method for desalination is Reverse Osmosis (RO), which is only slightly less energy consuming and expensive than MSF processes.

Rresearchers at MIT are looking to replace the membrane materials used now in RO with nanoporous graphene.

Currently, RO depends on comparatively thick membranes that effectively block the salt ions when water molecules are hydraulically pushed through them. In the process envisioned by the MIT researchers, which was published in the journal Nano Letters, one-atom-thick grapheme with nanometer-sized pores would replace those membranes. Because the graphene is a thousand times thinner than the traditional membrane materials it requires far less force—and therefore energy—to push the water molecules through it. A video describing the benefits can be seen below.
k5Tjy_90WBU
The key to making nanoporous graphene work in this desalination process is getting the size of the pores just right. If the pores are too big, the salt can pass right through; and, conversely, if the they are too small, the water will be blocked. According to Jeffrey Grossman, the Carl Richard Soderberg Associate Professor of Power Engineering in MIT’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering, the ideal size range is extremely limited and looks to be 1 nanometer. If the pores are slightly smaller, 0.7 nanometers, the water won’t pass through the membrane at all.

At this point, the research seems largely centered around computer modeling of an RO process using the nanoporous graphene. And in the MIT press release Joshua Schrier, an assistant professor of chemistry at Haverford College, points out that translating this research from computer models to the real world will not be an easy step.

“Manufacturing the very precise pore structures that are found in this paper will be difficult to do on a large scale with existing methods,” he says. However, he also believes that “the predictions are exciting enough that they should motivate chemical engineers to perform more detailed economic analyses of … water desalination with these types of materials.”

--T.S. Eliot
Demon of Undoing

Thank you, Antipatros. The strategic potential of this, if it can be produced to scale, could be huge for the 21st century.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Thank you, Antipatros. The strategic potential of this, if it can be produced to scale, could be huge for the 21st century.
Not as fascinating or profoundly important as Higgs bosons or dark matter, but not without interest.

--T.S. Eliot
Demon of Undoing

Antipatros wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:Thank you, Antipatros. The strategic potential of this, if it can be produced to scale, could be huge for the 21st century.
Not as fascinating or profoundly important as Higgs bosons or dark matter, but not without interest.

The advances of science have seen the potentially nerdiest basement dweller become legitimate saviors of entire swaths of humanity. " Greater things", indeed.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:CERN | CERN experiments observe particle consistent with long-sought Higgs boson
“We observe in our data clear signs of a new particle, at the level of 5 sigma, in the mass region around 126 GeV. The outstanding performance of the LHC and ATLAS and the huge efforts of many people have brought us to this exciting stage,” said ATLAS experiment spokesperson Fabiola Gianotti, “but a little more time is needed to prepare these results for publication.”

"The results are preliminary but the 5 sigma signal at around 125 GeV we’re seeing is dramatic. This is indeed a new particle. We know it must be a boson and it’s the heaviest boson ever found,” said CMS experiment spokesperson Joe Incandela. “The implications are very significant and it is precisely for this reason that we must be extremely diligent in all of our studies and cross-checks."
“We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature,” said CERN Director General Rolf Heuer. “The discovery of a particle consistent with the Higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle’s properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe.”
JAlgX4FNiyM
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Antipatros wrote:Dexter Johnson, Nanoporous Graphene Promises Affordable Water Desalination

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semi ... salination

. . .
Brilliant.