Agriculture | Revolutionary science: proper dirt

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Revolutionary science: proper dirt

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Red Russian kale? Does Mueller know about this?

What about Banana Karennina?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol, I'm a Trump voter bro, I'm in on it from the get go. I'm the go between they can't find.

From memory all kale comes from Russia.

On bananas, this winter I'll be planting an apple called a winter banana. Looking forward to it.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You guys are missing out. I keep getting younger.

eazUSH8rtAw
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Fast forward to 6:00, it will change your life. There are few places like this on planet Earth. Maybe only one. But I'm catching up.

BiwUTzBqlRs
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Good stuff Mr. P. Thanks for posting.

Right now, my land is covered by these pesky things called trees. But if I can buy an adjacent chunk, I think I am going to experiment.

I would imagine tree companies would give away the wood chips they get from shredding limbs.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yes, that's where I'm getting all of mine, for free. Unless you live way out of town you can get unlimited for free from the tree services.

Between you and me I think there are maybe a dozen people or less on planet earth who eat properly. Me, Paul, and few other devotees. You have to eat open pollinated non hybrid grown in woodchips EVERY MEAL or you are at total deficit.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

This is the documentary on Paul, if you have any interest in this you have to watch it.

6rPPUmStKQ4
jerryberry

Post by jerryberry »

Great thread. I suffer from sad (standard american diet). I've been fighting my tail off to eat whole foods, as in whole plants. I've found the Japanese sweet potato to be the most amazing plant I've ever eaten. You should grow them Mr.P.
Do you eat bread?

Do you have recipes to post? youtube links??
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I eat year round from the garden now.

Right now I eat turnips, potatoes, carrots, beets and a variety of greens. Next month I am planting new greens, and in June my berries come in. July/August will be plums pears and apples, through then end of fall when it's back to root vegetables again.

I don't use recipes anymore, I eat fresh from the garden in season. I cook potatoes and thats pretty much it. I eat everything else raw. No that's not true, I stir fry mushrooms garlic onions and other assorted. Disease fighting powerhouses.

1. Eat only garden grown, open pollinated heirloom, no hybrids
2. Eat only from no till heavy mulch gardens, preferrably woodchips. Woodchips gives the mycoryhyzal fungi the kick it needs to put the plants into overdrive.

It's the only way to eat food. Nothing from the store will ever compare. There is no other way.

I'll answer any questions I can, but I'm not worth much when it comes to store bought food. I couldn't make it work.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nautilus | Western vs fiber rich diets and gut bacteria

Interesting article, somewhat relevant to this thread, once one gets past the click bait headline.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Having a great start to the garden this year. I have a bee keeper dropping off some hives next week, he'll do all the work, I'll get all the pollination. But in bad news;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ingredient
Weedkiller products more toxic than their active ingredient, tests show

After more than 40 years of widespread use, new scientific tests show formulated weedkillers have higher rates of toxicity to human cells
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:Nautilus | Western vs fiber rich diets and gut bacteria

Interesting article, somewhat relevant to this thread, once one gets past the click bait headline.
its a huge food fashion in my area at the moment - high fibre, high fermentation stuff.

all the old classic asian and european fermented foods are very trendy right now.
Mr. Perfect wrote:Having a great start to the garden this year. I have a bee keeper dropping off some hives next week, he'll do all the work, I'll get all the pollination. But in bad news;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ingredient
Weedkiller products more toxic than their active ingredient, tests show

After more than 40 years of widespread use, new scientific tests show formulated weedkillers have higher rates of toxicity to human cells
its diabolical.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

In an effort to continually streamline my process, this is what you need to know.

1. Woodchip mulch and Heirloom, open pollinated seeds.

Everything else is of increasingly less importance. It's so important to use a mulch cover, woodchips are the most effective. But heirloom seeds are critical, if you only do one you are missing out entirely.

Everyone knows about GMO but those seeds are not available to the public, just industrial farms. What you get in the supermarket are hybrids, and they are pathetic. Hybrid seeds are bred for uniformity and shelf life, making them more commercially efficient. However you lose flavor and nutritional value. Heirloom, open pollinated seeds are 10X more flavorful and 10X more nutritious. The reason you don't like spinach is because it's hybrid. My Spinach almost tastes like Watermelon.

Finally, woodchips and heirloom seeds go together, because woodchips alone will never improve a hybrid variety, and open pollinated will never reach their full potential without woodchips.

So it's so critical to use open pollinated, heirloom seeds with woodchips. Don't ever use hybrids.

2. A good source of composts

Where ever you are you need to use compost for years, and where ever you are there should be different sources of it. You will need to find some by trial and error, because you will find some of it is good, some of it isnt. And you will need to find compost in the beginning to use as a base, and then for some amending.

So;

1. Woodchips with heirloom seeds
2. Find good local compost
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Woodchips and NO TILL

It took forever for me to understand No Till. To me gardening was tilling. It broke up the soil, making it workable and it got rid of weeds.

However with woodchips and other mulch covers you have a natural weed barrier and the mulch itself decompacts the soil, leaving it soft moist and workable.

The problem though is that tilling destroys your soil by destroying soil organisms.

You don't just need fertile soil you need soil organisms and microorganisms. You need fungi and bacteria and all that is destroyed when you till.

So

Woodchips provides you with a NO TILL solution. After you put woodchips down you never till again.

18HriHYr53A
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

What should I plant? ALWAYS OPEN POLLINATED, HEIRLOOM SEED, NEVER HYBRID

1. Plants that get you excited, it doesn't matter what. I started out being fired up with corn for whatever reason, and grew a bunch of it. Then I moved on to berries. But whatever motivates you and gets you excited enough to get you out there and do it.

2. Trees, berries, greens, berries, roots,. When you start out try to do one from each category as you go. Get in touch with local gardeners and nurseries, see what works in your area. Start with reliable plants then experiment later.

Also, really try to get berries and fruit trees going early, because they can take years to produce. Get them in the ground ASAP. Your annuals can be planted all the time.

Fruit trees
Always use dwarf trees.

Again, find what works in your area. The most important thing to remember is that fruit comes in at different parts of the season. So when deciding what trees to get make sure to have an early season, mid and then late season. That way you can eat continually through the year.

Berries: Make sure to get june bearing if strawberries. It took me a while to understand this, but everbearing have a much blander flavor. But, just go down the list

Strawberries
Raspberries
Blueberries

So simple and delicious, and powerful disease fighters.

Greens:

For nutrition, Kales and broccolis are your most powerful disease fighters.

Roots Turnips, beets, potato, carrots, are so great because they overwinter so well. Just leave them in the ground until you are ready to eat, and they are perfectly fresh. They can stay in the ground for 6 months.

So:

Trees
Berries
Greens
Roots

Make sure to do some of each as you go.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I haven't eaten anything storebought since May. I think I am entering paradise.
Yes, its going great.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

This gal is a first rate nutritionist.

zz4YVJ4aRfg
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

What a glorious fall it's been. Potato, luscious beets, turnips, carrots, apples, raspberries, tomatoes, kale, spinach, cilantro, arugula, broccoli, garlic, onions, squash, several pounds per day of highly nutrient dense fresh as a daisy garden produce, picked and eaten within moments.

The kind of food I eat every day is only available in a handful of places on planet earth. I am not sure what I did to deserve this.

I'm within 5 lbs of high school weight and I'm not even trying. The more I eat the faster it comes off.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

This is a high quality short series on how soil works in growing plants. Critical life information.

9cRrrDaBimk
noddy

Post by noddy »

It would be nice to have time and space for pottering around the garden :)

im jealous.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I'm jealous of myself, I often pinch myself at my luck. I didn't really plan this it just happened.

But I will tell you nothing on earth tastes as good as an open pollinated plant eaten immediately as it is picked. It's breathtaking. It's literally the only way to eat.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Another year, another record breaking harvest.Another period of learning that puts me in the top 5 gardeners on planet earth.

Bros and fishtits, I among a very small group of people who are discovering hidden biological realities few will ever know. I'm discovering that in the world of living plants and animals, few ever reach even 10% of their genetic potential. One wonders, what would happen if we were to break out of our potential and say achieve 20% of potential.

For example, if you've ever grown a tomato plant, you may discover that they grow to about 3-4 in height and produce a few pounds of fruit.

Ever wonder the world record?

The world record for an organically grown tomato is 28 ft, with 340 lbs of fruit. Almost 7 times the average height. How did he do it?

He didn't do one thing different, he didn't do 2 things different, he did so many things differently that he wrote a book on it.

But it all begs the question, if you can grow a 28 ft tomato plant, what else can you do.

More coming.

-ddroow5E18
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I have no tomatoes. Nothing to do with dirt and everything to do with racoons.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

PDd8shcLvHI
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:16 am I have no tomatoes. Nothing to do with dirt and everything to do with racoons.
Picking tomatoes is one of those jobs most Americans won't do. Trump's border wall should help.