Computing | Software and Hardware

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Sparky

Re: Computing: Software and Hardware

Post by Sparky »

Typhoon wrote:
Sparky wrote:Samsung / ASUS rule the roost, but for bang for buck, I can recommend looking at the Toshiba AT 300 (I think it's called the excite in the US)
+:
It's reasonably priced.
It's got a decent screen, speakers and battery life.
It's got a Tegra 3 quad core + one watchdog core processor, so it copes well with tasks ranging from bonsai to Banzai!!!
It comes with an unmolested copy of Android 4 and only a minimal amount of bloatware - all of which can be uninstalled.

-:
The cameras are mediocre at best.
Not rootable (yet).
Thanks for the info.

What if I include the following requirements: accelerometer + GPS?
It's got both. Oh, and it takes full sized SD cards as well.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Sparky wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Sparky wrote:Samsung / ASUS rule the roost, but for bang for buck, I can recommend looking at the Toshiba AT 300 (I think it's called the excite in the US)
+:
It's reasonably priced.
It's got a Tegra 3 quad core + one watchdog core processor, so it copes well with tasks ranging from bonsai to Banzai!!!
It comes with an unmolested copy of Android 4 and only a minimal amount of bloatware - all of which can be uninstalled.

-:
Not rootable (yet).
Thanks for the info.

Indeed. Found the specs. Looks good. Thanks for your assistance.

Will no probably pick on up on my upcoming trip to the US. A useful memento :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

For Apple - déjà vu . . . all over again?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

You call that a reboot? Now this is a reboot:

vVgc8ksstyg
A glimpse of the Harwell Dekatron / WITCH bursting back into life at The National Museum of Computing on 20 November 2012. The machine - the world's oldest original working digital computer - can be seen at TNMOC, located on Bletchley Park, Buckinghamshire, UK
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hmmm.

Google Chrome has been misbehaving on one of my systems recently.

Opening new tabs takes forever - the website hangs. If I exit, lots of Chrome processes still run.

A search showed that I'm not the only one having such issues.

Tried the recommended fixes:

disabled the Chrome default Flash player and used the system one instead;

disabled the phishing and malware protection - the security software takes care of this.

Problem still persists.

Anyways, I've had it. So I switched back to Opera which I used to use years ago. Very impressed with the latest release version of Opera.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
+:
It's reasonably priced.

-:
Not rootable (yet).
Thanks for the info.

Indeed. Found the specs. Looks good. Thanks for your assistance.

Will no probably pick on up on my upcoming trip to the US. A useful memento :wink:
Bought a Toshiba AT300 in Chicago. Thanks for the info.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Typhoon wrote:You call that a reboot? Now this is a reboot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVgc8kss ... r_embedded
A glimpse of the Harwell Dekatron / WITCH bursting back into life at The National Museum of Computing on 20 November 2012. The machine - the world's oldest original working digital computer - can be seen at TNMOC, located on Bletchley Park, Buckinghamshire, UK
that was all nice and valve-y........thnx.....'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Same ARM chip used in Chromebook used to make supercomputer in Spain.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

(Phys.org)—A discovery that promises transistors – the fundamental part of all modern electronics – controlled by laser pulses that will be 10,000 faster than today's fastest transistors has been made by a Georgia State University professor and international researchers.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2012-12-fastest-li ... n.html#jCp
cultivate a white rose
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Hola Unblocker

Post by Typhoon »

Hola Unblocker
Access blocked content from any country in the world. Free.
Tested on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

Works.
Doc

Re: Hola Unblocker

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Hola Unblocker

Works.
Best to check local laws. The MPAA and RIAA are getting pretty nasty about this kind of thing.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:

Works.
Best to check local laws. The MPAA and RIAA are getting pretty nasty about this kind of thing.
Indeed. One trend I've noticed over the last few years is how adept corporations have become in have laws implemented restricting access to such material on the internet.

Similarly,

Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

Works.
Indeed. One trend I've noticed over the last few years is how adept corporations have become in have laws implemented restricting access to such material on the internet.

Similarly,

Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday
What they are doing is getting government to do for them what traditionally they had to do for themselves. There is no reason why cell phone contracts that require that users purchasing phones at a discount not unlock phones. But then if they have to make the contracts then people have choices. IE if they don't like the contract then they can go to the competition for a better deal.

We are quickly going back to the days of the robber barons. Sooner or later another JP Morgan or David Rockefellar is going to come along. Most likely someone from from the tech sector.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
anderson

Post by anderson »

Typhoon wrote:If I were travelling to the US soon and if I were to buy a tablet during my time there, then which one should I buy?

Excluding maxi and mini iPads. From the subset of the Android and Windows 8 systems.
Depends on your budget. If you're ready to go up to $1100, I'd recommend the MS Surface Pro 128 GB with the keyboard accessory. Works as a laptop or as a tablet.
Full Windows 8, 10.6" touchscreen tablet, 4 GB RAM, Intel i5 processor, a USB connector for USB hub / mouse / printer / 4G dongle, an HD video out connector, microSD slot that can handle up to 64 GB, front and back cameras that shoot 1080, 1080 display on the screen, includes a stylus. $900 for the tablet, about $100 for the keyboard connector. Battery life is in line with your typical laptop. 4-5 hours. Weight about 2 pounds.
The 64 GB model is $900.
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/ ... 8-pro/home

If you want to go a little cheaper, there is a Samsung model, ATIV smart PC, that goes for $700 without a keyboard dock, $800 with.
That's 64 GB, takes up to 64 GB in microSD, 768p screen, USB and microHDMI connector. Only has 2 GB RAM and a lower powered Intel Atom processor however, though that helps to bump up the battery life. 11.6", but lighter weight, about 700-800g.
http://www.pcm.com/p/Samsung-Telecommun ... dpOverview

EDIT: Sorry, wasn't paying attention to the dates. Seems that was an old request. Advice still stands in general.
Azrael

Babel

Post by Azrael »

Babel is a high-performance language interoperability tool.

Babel currently fully supports C, C++, FORTRAN 77, Fortran 90/95, Fortran 2003/2008, Python, and Java. It won a prestigious R&D 100 award in 2006 for "The world's most rapid communication among many programming languages in a single application.".
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

I now use a Smasung Note II

All I can say, is , excellent

Most of the time, it replaces my laptop, specially on the go

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

lXY8Szhz42M
noddy

Re: Babel

Post by noddy »

Azrael wrote:Image

Babel is a high-performance language interoperability tool.

Babel currently fully supports C, C++, FORTRAN 77, Fortran 90/95, Fortran 2003/2008, Python, and Java. It won a prestigious R&D 100 award in 2006 for "The world's most rapid communication among many programming languages in a single application.".
neat - might muck round with.. if it did c# instead of java id consider it the one-true backend :)
ultracrepidarian
Azrael

African Information Technology

Post by Azrael »

It looks like tech is taking off in Kenya

iHub OPEN SPACE FOR TECHNOLOGISTS, INVESTORS, TECH COMPANIES AND HACKERS IN NAIROBI.

"Ushahidi", which means "testimony" in Swahili, was a website that was initially developed to map reports of violence in Kenya after the post-election fallout at the beginning of 2008. Since then, the name "Ushahidi" has come to represent the people behind the "Ushahidi Platform". Our roots are in the collaboration of Kenyan citizen journalists during a time of crisis. The original website was used to map incidents of violence and peace efforts throughout the country based on reports submitted via the web and mobile phones. This website had 45,000 users in Kenya, and was the catalyst for us realizing there was a need for a platform based on it, which could be used by others around the world.

M-Pesa mobile payment system
cultivate a white rose