Computing | Software and Hardware

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Computing | Software and Hardware

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Google DeepMind, the London research group behind the project, is now getting the software ready for a competition in Seoul against the world's best Go player in March

Brecher

Post by Brecher »

plastic memristors

perhaps memristors can reduce the impact of the Von Neumann bottleneck
kmich

Post by kmich »

We Are Hopelessly Hooked

- Jacob Weisberg
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Real-time Face Capture and Reenactment of RGB Videos

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Fascinating. Thanks, HP
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

I was in Iran during the revolution .. was close witness, minute by minute, what was happening.

At that time, many "audio cassettes" appeared, with Shah's telling his generals this and that, ordering many things and saying many things .. BBC Iranian program agitated pointing to those audio Shah speaking .. the voice was 100% Shah, not even 1% doubt .. but .. they were fake .. poor Shah never said those things.

mad mullahs were not capable to produce those tapes .. British, American and French intelligence services working to topple Shah produced those tapes.

Now, this technic is progressed to Video, even live video feed.

This extremely dangerous, as "time sensitive" manipulation, say, in elections (short B4 voting) or in stock market, Oil price (Saudi oil minister saying something on TV (that he never said)) and and.

Even Terrorist could use this to generate panic etc.

noddy

Post by noddy »

its very cute.

as for the conspiracy angles, as you said, its only an incremental improvement on the age old technique of selective reporting so doesnt change the game.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:its very cute.

as for the conspiracy angles, as you said, its only an incremental improvement on the age old technique of selective reporting so doesnt change the game.
Strongly disagree. To present falsity as truth is a horrendous sin, and deliberately sneaking lies in underneath logic via body language is pure evil.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:

Strongly disagree. To present falsity as truth is a horrendous sin, and deliberately sneaking lies in underneath logic via body language is pure evil.
fair enough.

ive attended political meetings were 2 hrs of careful debate gets reduced to 1 minute of sensational incident that completely misrepresents everything that happened as badly as if thy had of faked the entire thing with this technique.

so i disagree, i think its a variation on the age old abilities to lie and misrepresent.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

fair enough.

ive attended political meetings were 2 hrs of careful debate gets reduced to 1 minute of sensational incident that completely misrepresents everything that happened as badly as if thy had of faked the entire thing with this technique.

so i disagree, i think its a variation on the age old abilities to lie and misrepresent.
And landing a man on the moon is a variation on Kitty Hawk? The old phrase 'seeing is believing' still holds. People are catching onto shopped prints, but rotoscoping at this level with zero time delay destroys the fundamental assumptions of the viewer.

Noddy, you are right technologically but are missing the fact that the veracity of the assumptions behind media visuals are now destroyed. Genuine, authentic video is destroyed as well.

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Chinese Supercomputer World’s Fastest

. . . And two hours later it is hungry for more data.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Chinese Supercomputer World’s Fastest

. . . And two hours later it is hungry for more data.
:lol:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Some nifty (I assume) Windows 10 tips:

1) Clears all windows event logs: (save as a notepad txt file and change file extension .txt into .bat, then run with admin rights)

Code: Select all

:: Created by: Shawn Brink
:: http://www.tenforums.com
:: Tutorial: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16588-event-viewer-clear-all-event-logs-windows.html

for /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%%a"
2) To cut off some more W10 tentacles that spy on your files and behavior: Spybot Anti-Bacon. Maybe it is a placebo effect, but my W10 appears faster/more responsive after I disabled all there was to disable.
Deep down I'm very superficial
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:Image
:lol:

Brilliant.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

:)
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quartz | Nothing pixelated will stay safe on the internet
It’s becoming much easier to crack internet privacy measures, especially blurred or pixelated images. Those methods make it tough for people to see sensitive information such as obscured license plate numbers or censored faces, but researchers from University of Texas at Austin and Cornell University say that the practice is wildly insecure in the age of machine learning.

Using simple deep learning tools, the three-person team was able identify obfuscated faces and numbers with alarming accuracy. On an industry standard dataset where humans had 0.19% chance of identifying a face, the algorithm had 71% accuracy (or 83% if allowed to guess five times). The algorithm doesn’t produce a deblurred image—it simply identifies what it sees in the obscured photo, based on information it already knows. The approach works with blurred and pixelated images, as well as P3, a type of JPEG encryption pitched as a secure way to hide information.
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Typhoon wrote:Quartz | Nothing pixelated will stay safe on the internet
It’s becoming much easier to crack internet privacy measures, especially blurred or pixelated images. Those methods make it tough for people to see sensitive information such as obscured license plate numbers or censored faces, but researchers from University of Texas at Austin and Cornell University say that the practice is wildly insecure in the age of machine learning.

Using simple deep learning tools, the three-person team was able identify obfuscated faces and numbers with alarming accuracy. On an industry standard dataset where humans had 0.19% chance of identifying a face, the algorithm had 71% accuracy (or 83% if allowed to guess five times). The algorithm doesn’t produce a deblurred image—it simply identifies what it sees in the obscured photo, based on information it already knows. The approach works with blurred and pixelated images, as well as P3, a type of JPEG encryption pitched as a secure way to hide information.
Could the system guess multiple times, and then check each guess against data from other sources (eg cell phone tower triangulation, government records, etc) to give each guess a relative likelihood rating? That system could be scary powerful.
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Is there a computer virus version of HIV? It would first attack and modify the antivirus software and then use it against other parts of the system.

It could be relatively hard to detect and even harder to treat.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Hackers used internet-connected home devices, such as CCTV cameras and printers, to attack popular websites on Friday, security analysts say.

Twitter, Spotify, and Reddit were among the sites taken offline on Friday.

Each uses a company called Dyn, which was the target of the attack, to direct users to its website.

Security analysts now believe the attack used the "internet of things" - web-connected home devices - to launch the assault.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Brecher wrote:Is there a computer virus version of HIV? It would first attack and modify the antivirus software and then use it against other parts of the system.

It could be relatively hard to detect and even harder to treat.
This already exists, sort of. Many malicious codes are at least aware of common antivrus software and sandboxed environments, and will try to either defeat them outright or obfuscate their own activities so as not to be detected. However, this isn't as magical as it sounds and there is no "general" way to outsmart countermeasures. The virus has to be specifically aware of what it's trying to outsmart, basically, and it won't be able to understand something it doesn't know exists.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Microsoft doubles down on quantum computing bet

Microsoft is doubling down on its commitment to the tantalizing field of quantum computing, making a strong bet that it is possible to create a scalable quantum computer using what is called a topological qubit.
[...]
Deep down I'm very superficial
YMix

Post by YMix »

As online advertising becomes ever more ubiquitous and unsanctioned, AdNauseam works to complete the cycle by automating Ad clicks universally and blindly on behalf of its users. Built atop uBlock Origin, AdNauseam quietly clicks on every blocked ad, registering a visit on ad networks' databases. As the collected data gathered shows an omnivorous click-stream, user tracking, targeting and surveillance become futile.
https://adnauseam.io/
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »