Computing | Software and Hardware

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
anderson

Re: Computing: Software and Hardware

Post by anderson »

Typhoon wrote:lXY8Szhz42M
Wow. 4K video at 60 fps at 10 Mbps? That's pretty solid. That's the sort of thing that'll need to happen for 4k to go more mainstream.
Doc

Post by Doc »

anderson wrote:
Typhoon wrote:lXY8Szhz42M
Wow. 4K video at 60 fps at 10 Mbps? That's pretty solid. That's the sort of thing that'll need to happen for 4k to go more mainstream.
Pretty darn slick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Effic ... deo_Coding

High Efficiency Video Coding
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) is a video compression standard, a successor to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Coding), currently under joint development by the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) and ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG) as ISO/IEC 23008-2 MPEG-H Part 2 and ITU-T H.265.[1][2][3][4][5] MPEG and VCEG have established a Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC) to develop the HEVC standard.[1][2] HEVC is said to improve video quality, double the data compression ratio compared to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and can support 8K UHD and resolutions up to 8192×4320.[1]
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

MultiPath TCP
The fastest TCP connection with Multipath TCP

Breaking the record of the fastest TCP connection - have a look here how we can achieve 51.8 Gbit/second with Multipath TCP.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Next in Wearable Computing: A Device for Dogs

Maybe bridging the digital divide between dogs and humans will lead to closing the academic achievement gap.
Last edited by Azrael on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

How Military Counterinsurgency Software Is Being Adapted To Tackle Gang Violence in Mainland USA

Analysts believe that insurgents in Afghanistan form similar networks to street gangs in the US. So the software for analysing these networks abroad ought to work just as well at home, say military researchers

It could be used to analyze all kinds of criminal networks: drug dealing, racketeering, money laundering, tax evasion, bootlegging, fraud . . .

excerpt:

In the last 10 years or so, researchers have revolutionized the way military analysts think about insurgency and the groups of people involved in it. Their key insight is that insurgency tends to run in families and in social networks that are held together by common beliefs.

So it makes sense to study the social networks that insurgents form. And indeed that’s exactly what various military analysts have begun to do, including those in the US Army. A few years ago, a group of West Point cadets and offices developed some software for gathering information about the links between the people who make and distribute improvised explosive devices.

In testing this tool in Afghanistan, they found they could perform the same tasks as a traditional analyst in just a fraction of the time.

Now the US Army is adapting this technology to help the police tackle gang violence. Damon Paulo and buddies at the US Military Academy at West Point say there are a number of similarities between gang members and insurgents and that similar tools ought to be equally effective in tackling both.
cultivate a white rose
noddy

Post by noddy »

Azrael wrote:How Military Counterinsurgency Software Is Being Adapted To Tackle Gang Violence in Mainland USA

Analysts believe that insurgents in Afghanistan form similar networks to street gangs in the US. So the software for analysing these networks abroad ought to work just as well at home, say military researchers

It could be used to analyze all kinds of criminal networks: drug dealing, racketeering, money laundering, tax evasion, bootlegging, fraud . . .

excerpt:

In the last 10 years or so, researchers have revolutionized the way military analysts think about insurgency and the groups of people involved in it. Their key insight is that insurgency tends to run in families and in social networks that are held together by common beliefs.

So it makes sense to study the social networks that insurgents form. And indeed that’s exactly what various military analysts have begun to do, including those in the US Army. A few years ago, a group of West Point cadets and offices developed some software for gathering information about the links between the people who make and distribute improvised explosive devices.

In testing this tool in Afghanistan, they found they could perform the same tasks as a traditional analyst in just a fraction of the time.

Now the US Army is adapting this technology to help the police tackle gang violence. Damon Paulo and buddies at the US Military Academy at West Point say there are a number of similarities between gang members and insurgents and that similar tools ought to be equally effective in tackling both.
deary me - its going to be lovely when all this war tech becomes police tech isnt it.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Azrael wrote:How Military Counterinsurgency Software Is Being Adapted To Tackle Gang Violence in Mainland USA

excerpt:

deary me - its going to be lovely when all this war tech becomes police tech isnt it.
C'mon bro, think about the children....
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Police have already been using similar software for years.

A press release about use of predictive software in Santa Clara, California

Here's a link to PredPol. From the site:

Policing Meets Big Data

The mission of PredPol is simple: place officers at the right time and location to give them the best chance of preventing crime. To accomplish this, PredPol processes crime data in order to:

assign probabilities of future crime events to regions of space and time
present estimated crime risk in a usable framework to law enforcement decision makers
lead to more efficient & more accurate resource deployment by local law enforcement agencies

The PredPol tool was developed over the course of six years by a team of PhD mathematicians and social scientists at UCLA, Santa Clara University, and UC Irvine in close collaboration with crime analysts and line level officers at the Los Angeles and Santa Cruz Police Departments.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Computing: Software and Hardware -- C#

Post by Azrael »

for noddy

and anyone else who would be interested

Why C# is an Awesome Programming Language
cultivate a white rose
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... aign-tech/

Here is a technical analysis of Obama's campaign software. Had it been successful it would have been the most advanced Business Intelligence stack in any industry ever. Right now it's just the most advanced BI stack used in politics anywhere ever.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

this is damn cute.

"why do arrays start at 0 mummy"

http://exple.tive.org/blarg/2013/10/22/citation-needed/
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/130 ... ickens.pdf

the history of hardware acceleration in a brilliant rant.
ultracrepidarian
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

topological insulators = room temperature superconductors ?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 135635.htm
Doc

Post by Doc »

Taboo wrote:topological insulators = room temperature superconductors ?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 135635.htm

It makes sense to me Elections bound in a single layer of atoms would have seem to have less chance to bounce off of other electrons. At higher frequencies as is well known, electrons travel close the the surface rather than the center of conductors. Thus copper coated steel is used in coaxial transmission of signals rather than solid copper.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

My current laptop has a SSD which is partitioned into two parts: the C:\ drive part has room for the Windows 8.1 OS but not much else.

Google Chrome was sending my C:\ drive space over the red line with regards to available space, so I wanted to install it to another drive.

Turns out that Chrome only installs on the C:\ drive by default. Changing this is more trouble than it is worth.

Uninstalled Chrome and switched [back] to Opera.

Probably just as well. I was becoming annoyed at how Google was trying to link all my stuff together.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:My current laptop has a SSD which is partitioned into two parts: the C:\ drive part has room for the Windows 8.1 OS but not much else.

Google Chrome was sending my C:\ drive space over the red line with regards to available space, so I wanted to install it to another drive.

Turns out that Chrome only installs on the C:\ drive by default. Changing this is more trouble than it is worth.

Uninstalled Chrome and switched [back] to Opera.

Probably just as well. I was becoming annoyed at how Google was trying to link all my stuff together.

Yeah Chrome does that kind of thing. If you happen to have anything remotely related to Facebook. Like a web based email related to it, don't log in to anything else while you are logged in to that account The same goes for Google plus.

As to the operating system on a barely large enough drive. You might try to make it much bigger size wise. I did that on a windows machine several years ago only to find the 3x the size HD space get filled up over time. Most programs require some space on the C:\ drive to install.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Is there anybody here who has good knowledge of "Virtual Reality" software ? ?

need some help for some idea

noddy

Post by noddy »

http://www.oculusvr.com is the current player with the most support behind it.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

NOVEL-articleLarge.jpg
NOVEL-articleLarge.jpg (54.89 KiB) Viewed 3251 times

When Algorithms Grow Accustomed to Your Face

People often reveal their private emotions in tiny, fleeting facial expressions, visible only to a best friend — or to a skilled poker player. Now, computer software is using frame-by-frame video analysis to read subtle muscular changes that flash across our faces in milliseconds, signaling emotions like happiness, sadness and disgust.

With face-reading software, a computer’s webcam might spot the confused expression of an online student and provide extra tutoring. Or computer-based games with built-in cameras could register how people are reacting to each move in the game and ramp up the pace if they seem bored.

But the rapidly developing technology is far from infallible, and it raises many questions about privacy and surveillance.

Apps that can respond to facial cues may find wide use in education, gaming, medicine and advertising, said Winslow Burleson, an assistant professor of human-computer interaction at Arizona State University. “Once we can package this facial analysis in small devices and connect to the cloud,” he said, “we can provide just-in-time information that will help individuals, moment to moment throughout their lives.”

People with autism, who can have a hard time reading facial expressions, may be among the beneficiaries, Dr. Burleson said. By wearing Google Glass or other Internet-connected goggles with cameras, they could get clues to the reactions of the people with whom they were talking — clues that could come via an earpiece as the program translates facial expressions.

But facial-coding technology raises privacy concerns as more and more of society’s interactions are videotaped, said Ginger McCall, a lawyer and privacy advocate in Washington.

“The unguarded expressions that flit across our faces aren’t always the ones we want other people to readily identify,” Ms. McCall said — for example, during a job interview. “We rely to some extent on the transience of those facial expressions.”

She added: “Private companies are developing this technology now. But you can be sure government agencies, especially in security, are taking an interest, too.”

Ms. McCall cited several government reports, including a National Defense Research Institute report this year that discusses the technology and its possible applications in airport security screening.

She said the programs could be acceptable for some uses, such as dating services, as long as people agreed in advance to have webcams watch and analyze the emotions reflected in their faces. “But without consent,” Ms. McCall said, “they are problematic — and this is a technology that could easily be implemented without a person’s knowledge.”

Interesting article

noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Atlantic | Jesse Willms, the Dark Lord of the Internet
How one of the most notorious alleged hustlers in the history of e-commerce made a fortune on the Web
As I have Adblock, along with Ghostery, Disconnect, and HTTPS Everywhere, running on my Opera browser, I think the internet looks different to me than it does to a lot of people.
Doc

Post by Doc »

NSA building quantum computer capable of cracking most forms of encryption

By Himanshu Arora

On January 3, 2014, 9:45 AM

The National Security Agency is building "a cryptologically useful quantum computer” designed to break nearly every kind of encryption, The Washington Post reported Thursday. According to the report, which cites leaked documents provided by Edward Snowden, the effort is a part of a $79.7 million research program code named Penetrating Hard Targets.

A quantum computer is a machine that is much faster than traditional computers. While a traditional computer works with binary bits, either zeros or ones, a quantum computer works with quantum bits or qubits, which are simultaneously zero and one.

Such a computer can decide to avoid calculations that are unnecessary to solving a problem. This gives quantum computer the ability to quickly solve very difficult problems like breaking a complex encryption.

The report also says that the intelligence agency carries out its quantum computing research activities in large, shielded rooms (known as Faraday cages) that are designed in such a way that prevents electromagnetic energy from coming in or out.

Although the documents indicate that the NSA is nowhere close to creating a quantum computer, if this does happen, it would be easy for the agency to break almost all forms of encryption that are currently being used to protect banking, medical, business, and government records all around the world.

The NSA declined to comment on the report.
http://www.techspot.com/news/55198-nsa- ... ption.html