Viking embroidery with "Allah"? Or not?

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
noddy

Re: Muslims’ influence on Europe.

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Re: Muslims’ influence on Europe.

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
this is another case of human pattern recognition gone wrong.

:lol:

Pretty sure this is a sign from my god. He has an awesome sense of humor!

I'm just not sure what he wants me to do with the information....... :?
Typhoon

Re: Viking embroidery with "Allah"? Or not?

Post by Typhoon »

Quillette | Muslim Vikings and Abuses of History
Activist historians and the journalists who create an audience for their pronouncements seek to counter right-wing views of Islam and the West as essentially distinct entities locked in permanent conflict. Such views, of course, do not survive contact with historical data, which offers a far more nuanced picture, one that, indeed, is precisely too rich and complicated to serve the goals of any contemporary political agenda, or to answer any question about Muslim integration, immigration, or identity in Europe today. Rather than attend to these nuances, however, many journalists and historians irresponsibly exaggerate certain facets that promote their own favored political narratives. In their eagerness to use history against the far-right, they only aggravate tensions and distort the historical record.
The old filter
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
stills serves well:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

What will future archeologists assume about us based on our souveniers?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:What will future archeologists assume about us based on our souveniers?
That cities in North America worshiped different multiple animal and indigenous deities
and that the places of worship were known as stadiums.
For example, the Chicago Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks.

Same in Japan. Osaka Hanshin Tigers.
Although accounting for the Nippon Ham Fighters in this theory will will be the subject of heated academic debates for generations.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.