3D Printing and Copyright

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Enki

Re: 3D Printing and Copyright

Post by Enki »

With the recent forays into hardware DRM, it will be interesting to see how this affects 3D printers. We'll see if they have hardware protocols that prevent certain types of goods being printed.

I just reached out to Shapeways director of BizDev. I'm going to be reaching out to them and Makerbot regarding some political/community outreach on the tip of bringing the next phase of NYC industry to the citizens of the city.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote:With the recent forays into hardware DRM, it will be interesting to see how this affects 3D printers. We'll see if they have hardware protocols that prevent certain types of goods being printed.

I just reached out to Shapeways director of BizDev. I'm going to be reaching out to them and Makerbot regarding some political/community outreach on the tip of bringing the next phase of NYC industry to the citizens of the city.
i would suspect those restrictions could only work if you used strictly walled garden proprietry hardware and file formats - it would be too easy to re-encode the data in an unrecogisable form and bypass such things using open platforms like linux on a general purpose cpu.
ultracrepidarian
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

From what I've seen of 3D printing so far, I'm not impressed. According to the mediocre minds of Motley Fool, Makerbot will "put China out of business".

I go to the site, and Makerbot just makes cheap sh-it for tourists. You have a choice of two types of plastic in a variety of colors.

How is this so much better than injection molding? Could this technology make Lego bricks to Lego standard tolerances? From the look of things, Makerbot could make crappy Lego-knock-offs, which would cost much more than actual Lego bricks to make.

So far, Makerbot's killer ap is making a crappy 3D plastic bust of people's faces. So I guess they're filling a niche somewhere between the machines that crush pennies and stamp them with a crappy image of the Golden Gate Bridge and the crappy street artists who make crappy cartoons of tourists.

As for medical applications, you need a much better variety of materials. We now have lasers that can carve medical-grade materials to order.

How is this technology, in the words of the Economist, "as big of an advance as the steam engine"? The Economist, by the way, thought that building a sewer in London was a bad idea because people dropping dead of cholera and typhoid fever is the natural order of things.
cultivate a white rose
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:
Enki wrote:With the recent forays into hardware DRM, it will be interesting to see how this affects 3D printers. We'll see if they have hardware protocols that prevent certain types of goods being printed.

i would suspect those restrictions could only work if you used strictly walled garden proprietry hardware and file formats - it would be too easy to re-encode the data in an unrecogisable form and bypass such things using open platforms like linux on a general purpose cpu.
I can see in the long-run, DRM becoming a required manufacturing standard. Can't have everyone printing out AR-15s after all. And the increasingly Liberal population will be all for it.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:

I can see in the long-run, DRM becoming a required manufacturing standard. Can't have everyone printing out AR-15s after all. And the increasingly Liberal population will be all for it.

Azrael The Makerbot Replicator is the absolute lower bound of the capacities of this technology. It is in all sincerity the least impressive application of the 3D printer. It is also however, the first offering of an off the shelf 3D printer that you can install in your home. Combine it with a Fil-a-Bot and your 3D printed objects become much cheaper because you can re-use the filament as much as you want. It's called 'Rapid Prototyping' for a reason. The Replicator itself is not going to make really strong goods, but it CAN make an injection mold, for instance. R&D costs in manufacturing are very high, this reduces R&D costs SIGNIFICANTLY. So the idea of it putting China out of business is both a little hokey and has a little bit of truth. These won't in and of themselves become the end-all be-all of manufacturing. They will however become a part of the manufacturing supply chain and reduce manufacturing costs significantly resulting in a proliferation of hardware manufacturing startups.

It is absolutely a revolutionary technology, up there with the PC and the Steam Engine, but right now it's barely passed the point of, "Engine for the purpose of raising water by fire.", phase of its evolution.

I am far more interested in http://emachineshop.com and http://shapeways.com than I am in Makerbot. I've been talking to the BizDev director at Shapeways about their developer API, I've got some business ideas, and possible access to funding that I am going to be looking into. I want to get into this market before the average person even knows it exists.
-Alexander Hamilton
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Thanks for your insights, Enki.

If the technology works well in rapidly making molds for testing and production, then the combination of 3D printing and injection molding could be powerful, and development in each technology could feed the other.
cultivate a white rose
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote:
noddy wrote:

i dont really doubt it but i can only rant about fear worshipping oppression and fortresses becoming jails so much.

its what they want, its what they will get, heres hoping i can still find a borderland somewhere and for the moment we still do have open source systems on general purpose hardware so its just a matter of making that as politically relevant as possible and having ammunition for contra-arguments.
ultracrepidarian
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Enki wrote:
noddy wrote:

For every DRM aimed at stopping AR-15s, there will be some smart-ass on the net who will make a lampshade or bicycle that if creatively mis-assembled, will end up loading 9 mm slugs with no problem.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Taboo wrote:For every DRM aimed at stopping AR-15s, there will be some smart-ass on the net who will make a lampshade or bicycle that if creatively mis-assembled, will end up loading 9 mm slugs with no problem.
Sure, but meanwhile they will get their hands on every law abiding citizen's 3D printer. It'll have all the user freedom of an iPad. ;)
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Synthetic tissue built with 3-D printer

Post by Doc »

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sci ... 6611.story
Future of organs? Synthetic tissue built with 3-D printer

Self assembling 'tissue'

Scientists have used a 3-D printer to create networks of droplets separated by lipid bilayers that could act like living tissue, according to a new paper in Science. (University of Oxford)

Jellyfish tentacles inspire DNA chains to snag roving cancer cells Jellyfish tentacles inspire DNA chains to snag roving cancer cells
Geckos in harnesses keep grip even in some wet spots, study finds Geckos in harnesses keep grip even in some wet spots, study finds
Dark matter detected in orbit? Not so fast, scientists say Dark matter detected in orbit? Not so fast, scientists say

By Amina Khan

April 4, 2013, 1:24 p.m.

Scientists have built a 3-D printer that creates material resembling human tissues. The novel substance, a deceptively simple network of water droplets coated in lipids, could one day be used to deliver drugs to the body -- or perhaps even to replace damaged tissue in living organs.

The creation, described in the journal Science, consists of lipid bilayers separating droplets of water -- rather like cell membranes, whose double layers allow the body’s cells to mesh with their watery environments while still protecting their contents.

“The great thing about these droplets is that they use pretty much exclusively biological materials,” said study co-author and University of Oxford researcher Gabriel Villar, making them ideal for medical uses.

Lipid bilayers are formed by two rows of molecules that each have a hydrophobic, water-repelling side and a hydrophilic, water-loving side. They’re crucial to the existence of cells: In cell membranes, the hydrophobic tails of each layer face inward, creating the inner layer of the cell membrane, and the water-loving heads point outward.

Scientists had been creating lipid layers by inserting droplets into lipid-filled oil, causing the lipids to collect around the water droplets’ surface, and then pushing them together. The lipid ends would attract to one another and pull the monolayers together, creating a lipid bilayer.

But doing this by hand was a laborious process. So Villar built a 3-D printer that would use a micropipette to squeeze out droplets in exact orders, speeding up the process. They created networks of up to 35,000 droplets. And in the process, they began to look at the material they were creating differently.

“What we didn’t really expect was that once we could print these droplets out and eject them en masse and assemble them into different geometries, the collection of droplets behaved not just as a loose aggregate of objects but really as a cohesive material, and that kind of changed our thinking throughout the work,” Villar said.

The lipid bilayers surround droplets 50 microns across -- about five times bigger than living cells -- but they’re biocompatible, and scientists think that if protein channels can be inserted into the layers, they can act as nerve pathways through the system.

Villar also showed that the material could be triggered into contracting like a muscle -- folding up into unprintable, flower-like shapes. They were even able to send electrical signals after building a conductive pathway through some of the tissue -- like a rudimentary nerve.

Any potential medical uses were far out on the horizon, Villar said -- but the faux-tissue could be used to graft onto organs to replace damaged parts, employed as scaffolding on which to grow more cells, or could be inserted into the body to release medication at given times, in certain spots, with specific triggers.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

I am going to be touring the Shapeways Factory tomorrow afternoon, and I have a lunch meeting with VC next week.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

Enki wrote:I am going to be touring the Shapeways Factory tomorrow afternoon, and I have a lunch meeting with VC next week.
Awesome. :ugeek:
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Enki

Post by Enki »

So the Shapeways thing was lame. It was actually a Google Hangout. If you're interested they are going to do them every Friday and you can ask them geeky questions about materials and ways to make certain components.

I wanted to see the actual factory.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:So the Shapeways thing was lame. It was actually a Google Hangout. If you're interested they are going to do them every Friday and you can ask them geeky questions about materials and ways to make certain components.

Using 3d printing to make molds is more interesting. A cheap 3d CAD that would take into account material shrinkage as it cooled would be even better.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

Doc wrote:
Enki wrote:So the Shapeways thing was lame. It was actually a Google Hangout. If you're interested they are going to do them every Friday and you can ask them geeky questions about materials and ways to make certain components.

Using 3d printing to make molds is more interesting. A cheap 3d CAD that would take into account material shrinkage as it cooled would be even better.
I am interested in the sintering. Though from what I have seen of the sintering machines they are these big hermetically sealed drums.

The material tolerances were interesting. They were saying that if you want to print a hinge leave a .5mm space, which seemed sort of large to me. So that tells you something about the tolerance and goes into your cooling comment.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:
Doc wrote:

I am interested in the sintering. Though from what I have seen of the sintering machines they are these big hermetically sealed drums.

The material tolerances were interesting. They were saying that if you want to print a hinge leave a .5mm space, which seemed sort of large to me. So that tells you something about the tolerance and goes into your cooling comment.
Yes but the shrinkage is generally pretty consistent. The most difficult part of mold design is taking into account the shrinkage of teh material being cast. There are programs that will "deform" molds to do this but last time I saw one it was Big $. But if you could do that on a cheap desktop system.. Wow !!
Enki

Post by Enki »

Doc wrote:Yes but the shrinkage is generally pretty consistent. The most difficult part of mold design is taking into account the shrinkage of teh material being cast. There are programs that will "deform" molds to do this but last time I saw one it was Big $. But if you could do that on a cheap desktop system.. Wow !!
That's an interesting idea.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

the basic act of scaling a model by a percentage is quite simple but refining it deal to with different thickness's of material havin different behaviours and mixed materials would be increasingly more complicated.

id think the open source community could refine a "good enough and getting better" modelling for dealing with shrinkage/expansion reasonably quickly... its mostly just rinse and repeat improvements based around real world outcomes, something that can be done by a shed based enthusiast.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:
Doc wrote:Yes but the shrinkage is generally pretty consistent. The most difficult part of mold design is taking into account the shrinkage of teh material being cast. There are programs that will "deform" molds to do this but last time I saw one it was Big $. But if you could do that on a cheap desktop system.. Wow !!

I have done stuff with mold designs a few times over the years. Being able to make them on a desktop 3d printer is a home run. A ball park figure for a cast mold is around $20k.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Doc wrote:
Enki wrote:

I have done stuff with mold designs a few times over the years. Being able to make them on a desktop 3d printer is a home run. A ball park figure for a cast mold is around $20k.
Yep this is precisely where 3D printers shine and it will be revolutionary. Not in the, "Everyone is going to have a replicator in their home.", sense.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

2hKtfkIBVPI

This is a great video, they talk about the potentials of this technology. Like 3D printing buildings.
-Alexander Hamilton
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

The US government has demanded designs for a 3D-printed gun be taken offline

The order to remove the blueprints for the plastic gun comes after they were downloaded more than 100,000 times.

The US State Department wrote to the gun's designer, Defense Distributed, suggesting publishing them online may breach arms-control regulations

Enki

Post by Enki »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

The US government has demanded designs for a 3D-printed gun be taken offline

The order to remove the blueprints for the plastic gun comes after they were downloaded more than 100,000 times.

The US State Department wrote to the gun's designer, Defense Distributed, suggesting publishing them online may breach arms-control regulations
I meant to come post this, I thought you might be on it though.

-Alexander Hamilton
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Irony. All the technology and trouble needed to make a stupid plastic zip gun that is likely to blow off the shooter's finger.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Enki

Post by Enki »

You can make it out of metal. If I were going to do it, I would make the shell casing for the bullet also the barrel, so when you fire the bullet you use up the barrel each shot.
-Alexander Hamilton