3D Printing and Copyright

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
noddy

Re: 3D Printing and Copyright

Post by noddy »

Irony. All the technology and trouble needed to make a stupid plastic zip gun that is likely to blow off the shooter's finger.
You can make it out of metal. If I were going to do it, I would make the shell casing for the bullet also the barrel, so when you fire the bullet you use up the barrel each shot.
lets hope they dont hear about that other radical new technology called the lathe.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:
Irony. All the technology and trouble needed to make a stupid plastic zip gun that is likely to blow off the shooter's finger.
You can make it out of metal. If I were going to do it, I would make the shell casing for the bullet also the barrel, so when you fire the bullet you use up the barrel each shot.
lets hope they dont hear about that other radical new technology called the lathe.
Yup. The reality of all of this is that the barrier to entry for manufacturing has dropped a couple of bars. But it's occurring alongside the big data revolution, so the government is going to start monitoring who has the machine tools.

I spoke to the CDC yesterday with the Poison Control Center because my daughter got bit by a tick. Lyme disease is common in the Northeast so I just wanted to be sure. He asked me for my name and zipcode, which I gave. I wasn't all that comfortable with it, but I justified it by thinking they are just trying to track disease vectors and crowd-sourcing that info. It is what it is. But they are monitoring everything. Right now they are in the keystone Help Desk portion of the show where they are building out the data infrastructure. But in ten years they will be in the phase where they start learning to use it effectively.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeppo - was reading up on next gen biometrics via some paranoid article i found on zerohedge which mentioned they are rolling it out to all government agencies the other day.

anything that requires an id can then use the existing security cameras to keep your facial recognition up to date and accurate... coming soon to an office near you!
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:yeppo - was reading up on next gen biometrics via some paranoid article i found on zerohedge which mentioned they are rolling it out to all government agencies the other day.

anything that requires an id can then use the existing security cameras to keep your facial recognition up to date and accurate... coming soon to an office near you!
The NYPD is putting cameras that can see guns hidden under clothes in squad cars.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote:
noddy wrote:yeppo - was reading up on next gen biometrics via some paranoid article i found on zerohedge which mentioned they are rolling it out to all government agencies the other day.

The NYPD is putting cameras that can see guns hidden under clothes in squad cars.
you too can have one if your prepared to butcher an old cheap video camera :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-5DZgtQQcA

all modern cameras can do it and they put a filter infront of the sensor to stop it - remove that filter and replace it with something that only lets IR light through and bingo :)

old bits of film that have been exposed to black are the el-cheapo way to create and IR transmit filter.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
I can imagine 3D printing parts of a gun such as the stock, but I don't think I'd trust a plastic firing mechanism and esp barrel.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

You can print in metal too.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote:You can print in metal too.
Good point.

However, the metal gun barrel also requires specific properties.

For now, it's faster, easier, and cheaper to turn one out on a numerically controlled lathe.

My guess is that the future of metal 3D printing is in one-off custom parts such as medical implants.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:
Enki wrote:You can print in metal too.
Good point.

However, the metal gun barrel also requires specific properties.

For now, it's faster, easier, and cheaper to turn one out on a numerically controlled lathe.

My guess is that the future of metal 3D printing is in one-off custom parts such as medical implants.
At the end of the day, it's all 3D printing. Digitally controlled machining. The cheap rapid prototyping polymer layer melting version that is becoming available on the household market is only scratching the surface.

If you have a lathe that you can just put a barrel design into and output a barrel it's fundamentally the same thing.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2013/05/2 ... n-centers/
If I know anything about foreign affairs and international economics – and I don’t know much – I’d say that China’s entry into the world of 3D printing is a signal that this technology is completely redefining production in the 21st Century. In the past decade, the technology has moved from a niche sector of the economy to being lauded by heads of state. And now that the China 3D Printing Technology Industry Alliance has announced the creation of 10 3D printing innovation centers in 10 Chinese cities, it is clear that additive manufacturing does not represent a trend at the cusp of a hype bubble, but the beginning of a new era.

Luo Jun, CEO of the Asian Manufacturing Association (AMA) and executive secretary-general of the China 3D Printing Technology Industry Alliance, explained that: “Over the past 30 years, 3D printing technology has already been applied in the aerospace, automotive and biomedical industries, and now the conditions are ripe for it to scale up.” The alliance, a network of additive manufacturing leaders, plans to build 10 centers in various cities with an investment of 20 million yuan, or $3.3 million, per institute. In addition, the alliance is seeking government fiscal policy support.

In an email to Global Times Ricky Tung, part of Deloitte China, a Chinese consulting firm, indicated that there are a few actions that the Chinese government would need to take in order to support the growth of 3D printing in the country, “China can consider developing an industry-led strategic transformation plan to focus on technological innovation and differentiation. It can enact policies that bring in capital and technology — intensive industries from developed countries and it should work on improving how to utilize innovations imported from other countries… Going forward, [China] should continue to improve incentive mechanisms to cultivate technical leaders and promote deeper cooperation between enterprises and academic institutions.”

This series of Chinese innovation centers sound not dissimilar from the United States’s own plan for advanced manufacturing centers that began with NAMII. And with nations like the United States pursuing such a strategy, it may be that organizations like NAMII or the centers planned by the China 3D Printing Technology Industry Alliance are necessary for a country to maintain competitiveness in the global marketplace.

China, famous for its cheap production, could find itself somewhat threatened by a technology that reduces import costs and shipping times through the local manufacturing of goods. As the export of Chinese goods to foreign countries decreases, they may need to find other ways to stay relevant. Renaud Anjoran at Global Sources does not foresee a great shift in the manufacturing equilibrium in the next five years, but if 3D printing does increase in speed and effectiveness and decreases in cost, as it surely will, then we may be at a turning point in the way nations create, distribute and purchase goods.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Irony. All the technology and trouble needed to make a stupid plastic zip gun that is likely to blow off the shooter's finger.
Pop Sci | Australian Police Warn Of 3-D Printed Gun Explosions

Enki

Post by Enki »

The second largest manufacturer of 3D printers Stratasys acquired Makerbot.

http://www.denverpost.com/technology/ci ... -403m-deal

This deal will lead to Makerbot being a household name I think. The number of local politicians that don't realize that the most famous 3D printing company int he world is a New York company has been somewhat astounding.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://www.nickpinkston.com/2013/01/som ... uring.html

Great article about where 3D printing fits into the manufacturing eco-system and why manufacturing isn't going to be completely democratized.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

You'll like this one Erek,

ql3pXn8-sHA
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

Doc wrote:You'll like this one Erek,

ql3pXn8-sHA
That's pretty awesome!
-Alexander Hamilton
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Just so you know, you are pretty much the only forum member I'll follow into a blind link.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Just so you know, you are pretty much the only forum member I'll follow into a blind link.

Well, thank you.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Printing Frankenstein....

http://www.deskeng.com/articles/aabkxf.htm
3D Bioprinting: Moving Beyond 2D Cell Culture

This approach to tissue engineering is getting really exciting (unless you’re a robot).

by Pamela J. Waterman | Published August 1, 2013

Less than a decade ago, if you had searched online for “3D bioprinting,” you would have found that the entries would pretty much all point to links at academic institutions, with the exception being pages from EnvisionTEC and nScrypt. Today, a similar search reveals an explosion of work on the subject -- encompassing not only corporate-academic partnerships, but also week after week of popular news items explaining the latest progress toward printing functioning organic tissue.

Numerous biological functions, such as developing human tissue, forming human organs, healing wounds and maintaining a stable biological system, depend on the specific architecture of cells and matrix within a given tissue type. The scope of the field in which bioprinting plays a role includes the combination of living cells, with or without supportive scaffoldings, and the technologies that make such creations viable.
More at the link
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://m.space.com/22568-3d-printed-roc ... video.html

NASA successfully tested a 3D printed rocket engine.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/ideas/2 ... x-seconds/
As advanced as it sounds, Blizzident’s unique brush design manages somehow to be both high-tech and conventional. For instance, creating the toothbrush involves getting a standard impression of your teeth taken by a dentist and having it sent to a special lab where it can be translated into a digital visualization known as a 3-D scan. These specs are then uploaded to the company’s website and used as a blueprint to produce a customized 3-D printed toothbrush.

Once the high-tech part of the process is completed, what you’re left with is a simple one-piece tool that resembles a mouth-guard lined with dense rows of strategically-placed bristles. “Brushing” requires nothing more than simply inserting it over your teeth and biting down and releasing roughly ten times, which takes a total of six seconds. And since the bristles are specifically designed to reach each and every crevice and curvature all at once, the company claims their product can prevent common errors like missing spots or brushing too far above or below the gumline. The approach is not unlike putting a car through a motorized car wash to save time instead of manually scrubbing from front to end with a rag.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Demon of Undoing

3D Printing Umbilical Cord Clamps in Haiti
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (sentinel.ht/Make) - At first glance, Haiti might seem an odd destination for a 3D printer.

3D printers are cutting edge. They’re in the news. They’re printing amazing things, from custom prosthetics, to fully functional engines, to buildings. They print forms that would be impossible to manufacturable otherwise. And they’re a fairly accessible toy for the DIYer to use at home.

Haiti is a beautiful country fighting to improve itself and its global standing. The forces it fights against are powerful, varied, and very deep-rooted in its history. It lacks infrastructure that many countries take for granted: clean running water, electricity, sewage treatment, waste disposal, shipping, and others.

Our organization, iLab // Haiti has brought the first two 3D printers to the country of Haiti. We have partnered with KIDmob to teach critical thinking, creative problem solving, adaptability, and communication along with the technical skills of rapid prototyping.

We are using two of MakerBot’s dual extrusion Replicator 1′s, and we will add two more at the end of this month. We’re teaching them to 3D model using SketchUp and Rhino, with the hope of teaching Autodesk’s Inventor.

Our goal is to empower local Haitians to think differently about their surroundings and potential.

Some of their first projects are simple medical devices, such as umbilical cord clamps, which they are currently prototyping (on their fourth iteration). These medical devices would be 3D printed for direct use in local clinics with on-demand manufacturing. Hyper-local manufacturing will bypass inefficient and corrupt import systems that are currently the only option available.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Demon of Undoing wrote:3D Printing Umbilical Cord Clamps in Haiti
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (sentinel.ht/Make) - At first glance, Haiti might seem an odd destination for a 3D printer.

3D printers are cutting edge. They’re in the news. They’re printing amazing things, from custom prosthetics, to fully functional engines, to buildings. They print forms that would be impossible to manufacturable otherwise. And they’re a fairly accessible toy for the DIYer to use at home.

Haiti is a beautiful country fighting to improve itself and its global standing. The forces it fights against are powerful, varied, and very deep-rooted in its history. It lacks infrastructure that many countries take for granted: clean running water, electricity, sewage treatment, waste disposal, shipping, and others.

Our organization, iLab // Haiti has brought the first two 3D printers to the country of Haiti. We have partnered with KIDmob to teach critical thinking, creative problem solving, adaptability, and communication along with the technical skills of rapid prototyping.

We are using two of MakerBot’s dual extrusion Replicator 1′s, and we will add two more at the end of this month. We’re teaching them to 3D model using SketchUp and Rhino, with the hope of teaching Autodesk’s Inventor.

Our goal is to empower local Haitians to think differently about their surroundings and potential.

Some of their first projects are simple medical devices, such as umbilical cord clamps, which they are currently prototyping (on their fourth iteration). These medical devices would be 3D printed for direct use in local clinics with on-demand manufacturing. Hyper-local manufacturing will bypass inefficient and corrupt import systems that are currently the only option available.
I am sending this to my Haiti medical crowd.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

FGSo_I86_lQ
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Demon of Undoing

This is going to get cheaper, you know.

3D printer by Sask. man gets record crowdsourced cash

He said his version was inspired by information he found online, so he's not filing for patent protection. He is also posting his plans on the internet.

"It completely changes the game," Gerhard said of the machine he saw first-hand, in Yorkton. "To be able to do it for a hundred bucks and basically with stuff you can find around your house, that's the thing that changes everything."