3D Printing and Copyright

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Enki

3D Printing and Copyright

Post by Enki »

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... erty_.html

Very interesting article. Worth the read.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Carbizene

Re: 3D Printing and Copyright

Post by Carbizene »

Interesting, of course such things are largely an abstract concern as the number of people with 3-D printers is effectively 0 so far and using them no doubt is not cost effective I'm guessing on an Industrial scale.

Lots of things can't be reproduced via a 3D printer due to the physical properties of materials needed ie things that need to be steel, of course once nano-tech becomes mainstream such issues will be dealt with and the Industrial revolution will end as seen in Neil Stephensons 'Diamond age'.
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Well, see, Orvile, that thing can't ever go to the moon. Them wings need air. There's no air on the moon, Orvile.

Stupid bicycle hobbyists.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Carbizene: 3D printers can print steel.

Demon: Prezzactly.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

yeah further research led me to that, i didn't realise it was so far advanced being able to make pieces with moving parts as well.

Apparently it can use plastic, ceramic and steel but not a combination, can't be far off getting over this hurdle.

re Demon: Atom smashing factories will never work.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

who are the biggest (and best quality) manufacturer of these machines ?

what are the tolerances

Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

http://www.3dsystems.com/3dprinting/consumer-products

good enough for GM and tolerances go down to 0.01 mm from what the GM video says.
Demon of Undoing

It was all over, a done deal, at the creation of calculus. When man found a way to create a measurable, accurate, and malleable way to quantify reality, the die was cast.

All that is left is more and bigger numbers. We can make smaller, faster, more accurate machines for that.

Look at the pop- up construction Col Sun linked to in the robotics thread.

Printed Chevalaines. Fifty years, common as dirt.

Wait until we can print gene sequences.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Interesting point about bigger and bigger numbers, I take a certain sick pride in being the first person on the planet to use tera ton to describe the mass of a certain substance being released from the Chutchki sea, all that came before have used giga ton, including Semiletov and Shakov.
Demon of Undoing

Carbizene wrote:Interesting point about bigger and bigger numbers, I take a certain sick pride in being the first person on the planet to use tera ton to describe the mass of a certain substance being released from the Chutchki sea, all that came before have used giga ton, including Semiletov and Shakov.

The future belongs to those that see the picture in the numbers, the image in the matrix. I think you'll be there.

Like I say, I'm trying to think in terms of centuries. Just to be optimistic.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Carbizene wrote:Interesting point about bigger and bigger numbers, I take a certain sick pride in being the first person on the planet to use tera ton to describe the mass of a certain substance being released from the Chutchki sea, all that came before have used giga ton, including Semiletov and Shakov.

The future belongs to those that see the picture in the numbers, the image in the matrix. I think you'll be there.

Right now is a tough time to think in centuries because the fundamental ordination of time is about to change from solar cycles to clock cycles.
-Alexander Hamilton
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

I still expect some legal-arse stupidity to rear its ugly head:
As a result, most objects in the physical world are not protected by an intellectual property right, either because they never were or because that protection expired long ago. Any attempt to draw a parallel between 3-D printing and the early days of online music or movie file sharing must come to terms with that critical distinction. Simply because a website like the Pirate Bay decides to open up a “Physibles” section does not make copying a physical object an act of “piracy.”
At a time when copyright discussions have expanded to the point where universities and students are locked in a fight over who owns the copyright to notes taken in class, 3-D printers serve as a reminder that not everything is swaddled in rights. You do not always need permission to build upon the past. The fact that someone could try to charge you to do something does not mean that they have a legal right to do so.
"But printing is a wordy thingie and wurds are protected by copyright, so if you print anything, even stuff, it's gorta be a wurd"...... hurpy durp.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
In terms of numerical expansion I think centuries is overkill, what with quantum computers and all leading to a new realm of expansion.

Optimism is a reborn experience for me of late, all be it of slender nature, thoughts of a nano, low orbit future for a few have receded, replaced by a digital future for all who seek to live. This path is relatively low capital hence bereft of the foibles of those who hold the strings, in as much as such things can be.

When visiting seductive lady sites my eye is first drawn to cgi, perhaps suggestive of an evolutionary marker, that such a path is in the genes.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: "But printing is a wordy thingie and wurds are protected by copyright, so if you print anything, even stuff, it's gorta be a wurd"...... hurpy durp.........
As an Artist my every gesture is protected by copyright, that said if someone was to print off 3-D's of my stuff, my paintings are up to 15mm thick, I would take it as a compliment, of course if they did anything more than stick it on their wall they would be hearing from my Patent attorney at $400 an hour.

This has given me an idea to use 3-D printing to sell replicas enabling the owner of original to have ongoing profits not disimilar to selling shares. While there is an issue of demand/supply, the more there is the lower the value, this does not apply to the original. The level of demand can be seen as a indicator of what the LHP, Larger Human Psyche, places on the original and hence the original changes in value via free market mechismo.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

An interesting development.

Adds another dimension to the digitisation of a human. Say a mind can be transferred into digital format along with a biological blueprint of the individuals body. At a later date a replicant body could be printed out with the digitised mind re-installed into the brain.
Demon of Undoing

Carbizene wrote:An interesting development.

Adds another dimension to the digitisation of a human. Say a mind can be transferred into digital format along with a biological blueprint of the individuals body. At a later date a replicant body could be printed out with the digitised mind re-installed into the brain.

They are now finding, as I suspected years ago, that specific memories reside is specific molecules in specific places. If it can be mapped, and it can, then everything is up for grabs.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

. . .

April Fool's :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Aferim

Post by Aferim »

Demon of Undoing wrote: Wait until we can print gene sequences.
Or girlfriends and boyfriends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

TF | 3D Printer DRM Patent To Stop People Downloading a Car
DRM systems in the digital media world are nothing new and are utilized extensively in the music, movie and video games industries. Now, after applying four years ago, a company has this week obtained a patent for a DRM system that aims to stop future owners of 3D printers from printing whatever they like. The dream of downloading a new pair of sneakers or even a car might already be in jeopardy, before it’s even begun.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:TF | 3D Printer DRM Patent To Stop People Downloading a Car
DRM systems in the digital media world are nothing new and are utilized extensively in the music, movie and video games industries. Now, after applying four years ago, a company has this week obtained a patent for a DRM system that aims to stop future owners of 3D printers from printing whatever they like. The dream of downloading a new pair of sneakers or even a car might already be in jeopardy, before it’s even begun.
People can make free sneak models and free car models.
-Alexander Hamilton
Yukon Cornelius

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

Bullshit.

They'll never lock down a SolidWorks file, and as soon as they do, someone will rip it, just like we.... er... you guys rip DVDs. The best they can hope for is to keep their files locked up on the premises, and even then it will only take a couple open source/reverse engineering consortiums to blow that up.

Someone staying after work playing with the CMM would be all that it took.

Besides, you don't want to print parts themselves, we've been able to do that for over 20 years (I remember seeing parts that were prototyped using stereo lithography back in the early 90s.) You want to be able to print the tools to can blast them out at hundreds a minute.

Then you've got a real -- as Alph has pointed out -- overproduction problem.
anderson

Post by anderson »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Bullshit.

They'll never lock down a SolidWorks file, and as soon as they do, someone will rip it, just like we.... er... you guys rip DVDs. The best they can hope for is to keep their files locked up on the premises, and even then it will only take a couple open source/reverse engineering consortiums to blow that up.

Someone staying after work playing with the CMM would be all that it took.

Besides, you don't want to print parts themselves, we've been able to do that for over 20 years (I remember seeing parts that were prototyped using stereo lithography back in the early 90s.) You want to be able to print the tools to can blast them out at hundreds a minute.

Then you've got a real -- as Alph has pointed out -- overproduction problem.
That's true, isn't it. Hadn't thought of it quite this way. The price of physical capital, the means of production becomes potentially much more accessible, down to the cost of a printer and the raw materials for the parts of the machine.
Enki

Post by Enki »

anderson, that is what I have been trying to explain to people for years. lavender is about to get real. Marx predicted that one day there would be plenty and everyone should have what they need. We are there now.
-Alexander Hamilton
Milo

Post by Milo »

IP only protects you when it's cost effective for it to do so.
The entertainment companies have mostly given up trying, because they lost money on it. Nothing saying that can't apply to 3DP's output too.
I've been told that advances in printer capacity have been in line with Moore's law. Extrapolate that into the 3D world and... Yeah Toffler may turn out to be Moore right than I ever thought possible ;-)