3D Printing and Copyright

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Enki

Re: 3D Printing and Copyright

Post by Enki »

http://www.shapeways.com

Try this. Right now custom electronics accessories are the popular items. Ten years from now it will be several orders of magnitude more sophisticated.

Makerbot just opened its first storefront in Manhattan. They sell the Replicators for $ 2200. A friend of mine who is a 3d modeler bought one and is starting up a business selling items he prints.

I can only say that what he has printed so far has a far far higher quality than what you see there.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... rc=nl_tech
LAS VEGAS — When Ford wants to try out a new transmission part, an engineer sends a digital blueprint of the component to a computer, and what happens next once seemed like the stuff of science fiction.

Inside a device about the size of a microwave oven, a plastic, three-dimensional version of the component begins to take shape before your eyes. After scanning the design blueprint, the gadget fuses together a paper-thin layer of plastic powder. It repeats, putting another layer on top, and then thousands more, before binding the material together with lasers. A few hours later, out pops the auto part, ready to be tested.

Ford explains how 3-D printing works. (YouTube.com/Ford Motor Company)

The cost of such technology: about $1,500.

At such prices, 3-D printers, once an obscure and expensive innovation, are gaining traction among businesses, with broad implications for manufacturing. Ford is putting them in the hands of every one of its engineers. NASA uses the printers to test parts that could eventually make it to space.

And pretty soon, analysts say, they will be showing up in the home office. Just a few years ago, 3-D printers were as big as industrial refrigerators and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each. Now anyone can order one online and put it on a desk.

That such technology can be offered so cheaply and compactly may be these gadgets’ true breakthrough.

“You can argue this is the democratization of manufacturing,” said Carl Howe, head of consumer research at Yankee Group, a tech research firm. He predicted that this will be the year when 3-D printers will become inexpensive enough to gain wider interest from small businesses, colleges and consumers.

“Things that used to require tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for plastic molds, you can now do for $1,500 or less,” Howe said.

This is definitely the year that 3-D printing is making a splash at the International Consumer Electronics Show, the annual bazaar of geek commerce. Last year, only one 3-D printing company showed up at the CES, which aims to showcase gadgets you might buy at Best Buy or Amazon, not at industrial supply stores. This week, four such companies will be there.

One of them — MakerBot, which also supplies devices to Ford — will unveil Tuesday a new 3-D printer designed to be the most advanced ever offered at a price that could make it attractive to the home hobbyist.
There's more at the link.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Piking up

. . develops three-dimensional (3D) bioprinting technology for creating functional human tissues on demand for research and medical applications. The company’s 3D NovoGen bioprinting technology works across various tissue and cell types, and allows for the placement of cells in desired pattern. It offers NovoGen MMX Bioprinter, a commercial hardware and software bioprinter platform to create tissues for bioprinting research and development.

Heracleum Persicum

folks , that thing going crazy ..

looks , some people believe in 3D printing of organs

Doc

Re: 3D building construction

Post by Doc »

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/tec ... d.cnn.html?

So what happens to all the construction worker's jobs
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

Doc wrote:http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/tec ... d.cnn.html?

Construction workers, like professional drivers are going to be screwed in the next generation.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

Doc wrote:So what happens to all the construction worker's jobs
What happened to those jobs when the real estate markets of Europe and North America went into a massive slump?
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Heracleum Persicum

NovoGen MMX Bioprinter™, the world's only commercial Bioprinter proven to create tissue

The device, small enough to fit into a sterile biosafety cabinet, consists of two printheads — one that sprays out a gel that forms a sort of armature for an organ and another that fills in that scaffolding with living cells. The printing tip positions cells with a precision within microns. Livers, kidneys and other replacement components — including teeth — could be built on demand, with no wait for a donor and less risk of rejection, since the cells are harvested straight from the patient.

Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:

Construction workers, like professional drivers are going to be screwed in the next generation.
Construction workers will be. SO will long haul drivers. Local drivers will still have jobs. There has to be someone on the truck to get a signature for the goods delivered.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

Doc wrote:
Enki wrote:

Construction workers will be. SO will long haul drivers. Local drivers will still have jobs. There has to be someone on the truck to get a signature for the goods delivered.
Why?

And what about cabs?
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/01/15/ ... d-gun-laws

Maker shows futility of high-capacity mag bans.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/01/fil ... -recycler/

The fully recyclable economy.

The Filabot turns plastic back into filament for your 3D printer.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Print Me a Condo on the Moon!
Sorry I could not find this thread. So I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1689
noddy

Post by noddy »

this isnt a 3d printer but is kinda cool in its own crude way.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/19/40071 ... ickstarter

a pen that uses the printer tech to let you draw in 3d.

possibly would have potential for reparing/tweeking items done with a 3d printer aswell.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:this isnt a 3d printer but is kinda cool in its own crude way.

possibly would have potential for reparing/tweeking items done with a 3d printer aswell.
As my 3D printing friend said, "You mean a hot glue gun?"
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote:

that quip showed up in the comments quite a bit and the reply was "go ahead, try it" :)

on a basic level of course it is just a variation on a hot glue gun - the difference is the materials and the size of the thread being optimised so that it instantly sets the moment its out of the gun and allows you to scribble in 3d.. a hot glue gun makes big puddles.

a 3d printer is just an inkjet with different materials on those levels.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:
Enki wrote:

that quip showed up in the comments quite a bit and the reply was "go ahead, try it" :)

on a basic level of course it is just a variation on a hot glue gun - the difference is the materials and the size of the thread being optimised so that it instantly sets the moment its out of the gun and allows you to scribble in 3d.. a hot glue gun makes big puddles.

a 3d printer is just an inkjet with different materials on those levels.
An injket with a third dimension, yeah.

No doubt this thing is cool.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

the most obvious use will be the way it allows doing a small bit of hand crafted "bling" on a largely automatically printed item.

print up the basic shape and then decorate it by hand and thusly bring a bit of artistic personality into it and value adding it.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:the most obvious use will be the way it allows doing a small bit of hand crafted "bling" on a largely automatically printed item.

print up the basic shape and then decorate it by hand and thusly bring a bit of artistic personality into it and value adding it.
I look forward to people making art with this.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/artic ... hnique.htm
Phenomenon of Super-Effective Field-Assisted Sintering Explained

Mark Hoffman
First Posted: Feb 27, 2013 07:34 PM EST

High-density ceramic materials like zirconia can be hardened much faster and by much lower temperatures with two recently developed new techniques, Field-Assisted Sintering (FAST) and Selective Laser Sintering (SLS). While the effectiveness was shown experimentally in the past, a detailed uniform model and explanation is now being proposed by a researcher from North Carolina State University. The researcher presents evidence that a carefully calibrated electric field of about 100 Volt per centimeter can lead to significantly better results regarding density and internal tension of sintered parts.

Selective laser sintering uses short laser pulses of less than a second per point to melt ceramic powders like zirconia. SLS was already invented around 1980 but rapidly developed during the last decade due to widely available 3D-modelling, much higher precision parts like piezo-actuators and new substances like nano-materials. It is now used for many applications with high-performance ceramics which include technologies like body armor, fuel cells, spark plugs, nuclear rods, superconductors, and especially medical implants.

Biocompatible zirconia implants for example, which are twice as durable as titanium and with a greater density and hardness, as well as higher bending strength and mode of elasticity, became easier and cheaper to manufacture. The most advanced additive manufacturing machines for ceramics, also known as 3D-printers, that use SLS to produce individualized implants (and anything else) now reach resolutions down to just 30 micrometers and are expected to become even faster and more precise, developed and built by the SLS market-leader EOS Gmbh in Munich, Germany.

sintered yttria-stabilized zirconia (3Y-TZP) specimens
(Photo : J. Narayan)
Scanning electron micrographs from sintered (at 1500 °C) yttria-stabilized zirconia (3Y-TZP) specimens: (a) sintered without an electric field; (b) sintered with an electric field, Ea = 14 V cm−1

Sintering in general is the process needed to harden the materials, by 'baking' ceramic powders together, and involves the powders (such as yttria-stabilized zirconia) being pressed into the desired shape and then exposed to high heat until the powder particles are bound together into a solid, but slightly porous, material.

Dr. Jay Narayan, a professor of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State, looked at what exactly happens when combining an electric field (FAST) and selective-melt sintering, which allows sintering of yttria-stabilized zirconia at 800 degrees Celsius (C) instead of the usual 1450 C. The process create a material with no porosity at all, and all this in less than a second, compared to traditional sintering techniques that take four to five hours at 1450 C.

"This technique allows you to achieve 'theoretical density,' meaning it eliminates all of the porosity in the material," Narayan says in a release by NC State. "This increases the strength of the ceramic, as well as improving its optical, magnetic and other properties."

Applying an electric field to the material beforehand appears to be the key element that enables these astonishing advantages by changing the internal, atomic structure of the ceramic particles. Applied at approximately 100 volts per centimeter, the field "creates subtle changes in the material's 'grain boundaries' - where atoms from different crystals meet in the material. Namely, the field draws 'defects' to the grain boundary. These defects consist of vacancies (missing atoms) which can carry charges. The defects are negatively charged and draw current from the electric field to the area - which raises the temperature along the grain boundary," according to the release.

Because the temperature raises primarily along the grain boundaries due to the selectively applied electric current, the material can be effectively sintered at a much lower temperature, because sintering is generally achieved by fusing the crystals of ceramic powder together which requires melting of just the grain boundaries.

The new techniques combined save time and energy because not the whole mass of all the material needs to be brought to the melting point, with "pre-heating" of the grain boundaries with an electric field being the trick.
Enki

Post by Enki »

That ceramic sintering article is cool.

And this thread is pretty sciency and techy.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

3D printed gown:

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

'Pirate Bay' for 3D printing launched

The company that developed 3D printed gun parts has announced plans to launch a new firm, dedicated to copyright-free blueprints for a range of 3D printable objects.

Defcad, as the firm will be known, has already been dubbed the Pirate Bay of 3D printing.

The site will become a "search engine for 3D printing," according to its founders.

But its flouting of copyright is likely to face legal challenges.
Wiki weapon

The firm is the brainchild of Cody Wilson, law student and self-styled crypto-anarchist.

Last year he set up Defense Distributed, a project aiming to print gun parts.

The project provoked controversy with 3D printing firm MakerBot pulling gun part blueprints from its website in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings and 3D printer manufacturer Stratasys refusing permission for its machines to be used by the company.

It is also facing legal challenges to shut the site down.

Despite the set-backs, it released a video this month demonstrating an AR-15 with a 3D printed part firing more than 600 rounds.

Meanwhile its blueprints at non-profit Defcad.org have seen 400,000 downloads since the site was launched, according to founder Cody Wilson.

Announcing the new for-profit Defcad.com at the South by South West conference in Texas, Mr Wilson said it was an obvious next step for the wiki weapon project.

"Help us turn Defcad into the world's first unblockable, open-source search engine for 3D printable parts," says Mr Wilson in the video posted on the website looking for funding.

In the video, Mr Wilson said the revolution which many predict 3D printing will bring about will only happen if it can be freed from corporate ties.

The blueprints available on the site will be for "important stuff", he said. "Not trinkets, not garden gnomes but the things institutions and industries have an interest in keeping from us; access, medical devices, drugs, goods, guns."

"Supplying consumers with blueprints to print products designed by third parties is a business model fraught with risk," said Lorna Caddy of law firm Taylor Wessing.

"Many of those products will be protected by intellectual property rights, such as design law. Owners of those rights could assert them in the courts to prevent their designs being further distributed and to seek financial compensation," she added.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Enki

Post by Enki »

I got connected with the people at Shapeways.

I will be setting up an appointment with their director of business development when I get back from Austin.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

3D-printed guns are on their way, Defense Distributed receives federal firearms license to manufacture them

Defense Distributed has received a federal firearms license, with company head Cody Wilson announcing this would allow his company to manufacture and sell the group's guns. The news comes from Defense Distributed's Facebook page, where they uploaded a photo of the license with a note saying "The work begins!"

Wilson has said that the Type 7 license he received will allow him the same rights as other manufacturers, where he adds: "I can sell some of the pieces that we've been making. I can do firearms transactions and transport." Wilson will be required to, of course, keep records on what his company makes and sells, but he doesn't have plans to sell anything until he receives a supplemental license to make a broader range of firearms.

Defense Distributed seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to 3D-printed gun companies, successfully testing 3D-printed rifle lowers and high-capacity magazines.