Da Da Da Damatte-yo

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Hoosiernorm

Da Da Da Damatte-yo

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/sc ... d-sentence
TOKYO (Newscore) - Japanese researchers have invented a speech-jamming gadget that painlessly forces people into silence.
Kazutaka Kurihara of the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, and Koji Tsukada of Ochanomizu University, developed a portable "SpeechJammer" gun that can silence people more than 30 meters away.
The device works by recording its target's speech then firing their words back at them with a 0.2-second delay, which affects the brain's cognitive processes and causes speakers to stutter before silencing them completely.
Describing the device in their research paper, Kurihara and Tsukada wrote, "In general, human speech is jammed by giving back to the speakers their own utterances at a delay of a few hundred milliseconds. This effect can disturb people without any physical discomfort, and disappears immediately by stopping speaking."
They found that the device works better on people who were reading aloud than engaged in "spontaneous speech" and it cannot stop people making meaningless sounds, such as "ahhh," that are uttered over a long time period.
Kurihara and Tsukada suggested the speech-jamming gun could be used to hush noisy speakers in public libraries or to silence people in group discussions who interrupt other people's speeches.
"There are still many cases in which the negative aspects of speech become a barrier to the peaceful resolution of conflicts," the authors said.
Been busy doing stuff
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Da Da Da Damatte-yo

Post by monster_gardener »

Hoosiernorm wrote:http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/sc ... d-sentence
TOKYO (Newscore) - Japanese researchers have invented a speech-jamming gadget that painlessly forces people into silence.
Kazutaka Kurihara of the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, and Koji Tsukada of Ochanomizu University, developed a portable "SpeechJammer" gun that can silence people more than 30 meters away.
The device works by recording its target's speech then firing their words back at them with a 0.2-second delay, which affects the brain's cognitive processes and causes speakers to stutter before silencing them completely.
Describing the device in their research paper, Kurihara and Tsukada wrote, "In general, human speech is jammed by giving back to the speakers their own utterances at a delay of a few hundred milliseconds. This effect can disturb people without any physical discomfort, and disappears immediately by stopping speaking."
They found that the device works better on people who were reading aloud than engaged in "spontaneous speech" and it cannot stop people making meaningless sounds, such as "ahhh," that are uttered over a long time period.
Kurihara and Tsukada suggested the speech-jamming gun could be used to hush noisy speakers in public libraries or to silence people in group discussions who interrupt other people's speeches.
"There are still many cases in which the negative aspects of speech become a barrier to the peaceful resolution of conflicts," the authors said.
Thank you Very Much for your post, HoosierNorm.........

So this is the "Sound of Silencing" :wink:

Wonder what happens if more than one person uses a silencer at the same time.......
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Enki

Post by Enki »

This made the rounds on the OWS lists today.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Enki wrote:This made the rounds on the OWS lists today.

Oh, the arrogance of man, that some might think to silence reality.

Murphy says you only get silence in space.
Enki

Post by Enki »

If you get silence in space then what's the point of Voyager?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

if silence is golden, would not speech cancelling guns make up all rich?

Napster, the new gold standard?

And if we all have a right to "not be offended" should not a speech cancelling gun be also a right?

Time to expand the second ammendment!!!
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Frustrating people so they may not speak, might compel them to resort to their fists. Jus' sayan'.......'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Milo

Post by Milo »

Why do so many Japanese innovations seem so trivial, if not frivolous?

And before someone jumps on me for imagined racism, I'm repeating what the Japanese have said about themselves long ago, and many times:

vKBnaKe2Ekg
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Weird Japanese Inventions Re: Da Da Da Damatte-yo

Post by monster_gardener »

Milo wrote:Why do so many Japanese innovations seem so trivial, if not frivolous?

And before someone jumps on me for imagined racism, I'm repeating what the Japanese have said about themselves long ago, and many times:

vKBnaKe2Ekg

Thank you Very Much for your post, Milo.

:lol:

Worth listening to...........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Milo wrote:Why do so many Japanese innovations seem so trivial, if not frivolous?
You're referring to a genre of innovations that are frivolous and funny . . . by design.

As explained in the video below:
Milo wrote:And before someone jumps on me for imagined racism, I'm repeating what the Japanese have said about themselves long ago, and many times:

vKBnaKe2Ekg
Not racist, just uninformed :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

USDI3wnTZZg

Have to wonder how effective this device would be compared to an microphone plus delay earphone setup?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

The teacher's friend...