Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Nonc Hilaire

9/18/17 report on overestimation of carbon effect

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

MS0qLhqaZDM
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Re: Climate and the Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Amazing
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:AGW is a sect of scientism.

It is not the only sect, but perhaps the one that most clearly showcases the difference between scientism and science. It has priests, dogmas, heretics and approved exegesis of sacred texts.

The texts themselves are are promoted or purged by sectarian authorities, and only with great effort can adherents access the texts directly. They must rely upon summaries and derivative surveys of the texts bearing the imprimature of the authorized gatekeepers who enjoy luxurious academic sinecures.

These sinecures are funded by collections are taken up regularly via taxation and subscriptions to authorized publications.
+1

A Reformation is overdue.
I'm amazed there is not a plethora of international forums for posting scientific studies and datasets. The publication racket is antiquated.

And instead of formal, Oxford debates on YouTube we get TedTalks. Ptui.
Who told AGW "scientists" about the existence of the sun? did one of them fall asleep on the beach and get a bad sunburn?

Zack ain't gonna like this new canon.

Canon
This word is derived from a Hebrew and Greek word denoting a reed or cane. Hence it means something straight, or something to keep straight; and hence also a rule, or something ruled or measured. It came to be applied to the Scriptures, to denote that they contained the authoritative rule of faith and practice, the standard of doctrine and duty.

Could this be the start of the reformation?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A long, but very informative, article.

Mikhail Voloshin | Random Walk analysis of NOAA global temperature anomaly data

Voloshin does a first-rate job of explaining the problems associated with inferring warming from temperature anomaly time series data.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017 ... ng-danger/
Conservationists take nine flights a year, despite knowing danger to environment, study shows

Conservationists may preach about the importance of going green to save the planet, but most have a carbon footprint which is virtually no different to anyone else, a new study has shown.

Scientists as Cambridge University were keen to find out whether being fully informed about global warming, plastic in the ocean or the environmental impact of eating meat, triggers more ethical behaviour.

But when they examined the lifestyles of conservation scientists they discovered most still flew frequently – an average of nine flights a year – ate meat or fish approximately five times a week and rarely purchased carbon offsets for their own emissions.

They were also less green in travelling to work than medics, and kept more dogs and cats. A recent study suggested pets are a hefty ecological burden. It takes more than two acres of grazing pasture to keep a medium-sized dog fed with meat, while the eco-footprint of a cat is similar to a Volkswagen Golf.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

A Surprise From the
Supervolcano Under Yellowstone

Beneath Yellowstone National Park lies a supervolcano, a behemoth far more powerful than your average volcano. It has the ability to expel more than 1,000 cubic kilometers of rock and ash at once — 250,000 times more material than erupted from Mount St. Helens in 1980, which killed 57 people. That could blanket most of the United States in a thick layer of ash and even plunge the Earth into a volcanic winter.

noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.euractiv.com/section/climat ... cientists/
Plans to expand aquatic farming could have a serious knock-on effect on climate change, climate experts have warned after new research revealed that underwater shellfish farts produce 10% of the global-warming gases released by the Baltic Sea.
the war on meat continues.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:https://www.euractiv.com/section/climat ... cientists/
Plans to expand aquatic farming could have a serious knock-on effect on climate change, climate experts have warned after new research revealed that underwater shellfish farts produce 10% of the global-warming gases released by the Baltic Sea.
the war on meat continues.
Me thinks it is more of an atheist's penis envy of Original Sin.

AGW, greenhouse gases, cow farts, oyster farts....... is there any subject in the universe in which "climate experts/scientists" are not expert?

Have they formulated that Harvey Weinstein's (Wine-steen or Wine-stine?) actions were caused by AGW yet? If not, I call dibbs on the research grant money!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

It is a long list

The Warm List*

AGW is apparently responsible for just about everything.

*2015 footnote from the curator:"
Why the list stopped growing.
The time it takes to process a new entry increases approximately with the square of the list length, after checking for duplications, spoofs etc. Starting it was based on the naïve assumption that the rate of appearances would decline as opposing evidence accumulated, but the reverse happened. That’s the difference between science and religion. It was taking over my life, which I did not want to end as a garbage collector. There have since been hundreds more claims of an increasingly ludicrous nature.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: . . .
Have they formulated that Harvey Weinstein's (Wine-steen or Wine-stine?) actions were caused by AGW yet? If not, I call dibbs on the research grant money!
That's probably the only defense that would get any traction with the regressive-progressives.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The insects in Germany have been displaced by massive immigration from the Middle East.... obviously..... or AGW! :P
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Simple Minded wrote:

The insects in Germany have been displaced by massive immigration from the Middle East.... obviously..... or AGW! :P

Waiting 2C what the moderators say to the above :D

O, Lord, what happened to our beloved U.S.of A

Amen

noddy

Post by noddy »

germany isnt in the usa and insects love hot weather.

overpopulation and overuse of insecticides for mass production of food causes the death of insects, nothing todo with global warming.

europe and asia are over populated nightmares of environmental destruction - the entire landmass is suburbia or farming, its completely sterilised.

i swear that in this day and age of sattelites most global warming folks dont have working eyeballs.

the earth is concrete and grain fields, their is no wilderness anymore - except in mountains, frozen tundras and deserts.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | How the World Bank [helps to] keeps poor nations poor
Its policy of eco-imperialism forces renewables on a reluctant but largely helpless developing world
GWPF - The Zimbabwean | Africa and the US question World Bank energy policy
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Waiting 2C what the moderators say to the above :D
HP,

My original effort was simply "More humans means less insects for obvious reasons."

But since you are always touting the wonders of massive immigration, while also warning of AGW, I tailored my reply especially for you. Maybe in the future, we could require immigrants to bring insects with them? :P

Could people from warmer climates moving to cooler climates be creating the illusion that the Earth is warming? Since we all generate body heat, maybe that is the cause of the 0.047 degree annual measure temperature increase? Ever been in a small room with a lot of people? More grant money is needed!
Heracleum Persicum wrote:
O, Lord, what happened to our beloved U.S.of A

Amen
Easy question, not enough Pomegranates! ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Scientist | Stanford Professor Sues PNAS Over Paper Criticisms
Mark Jacobson, a climate scientist at Stanford University, is suing the National Academy of Sciences and the authors of a paper published in PNAS that criticized his 2015 PNAS study on renewable energy. As The Washington Post reported yesterday (November 1), Jacobson is asking for $10 million and a retraction of the critical report, claiming that the journal and authors knowingly published false statements.
Using computational simulations, Jacobson’s study determined that the energy grid of the lower 48 states could support an energy supply based entirely on wind, water, and solar energy. But when Clack and his colleagues had a look at the Stanford team’s approach, “we find that their analysis involves errors, inappropriate methods, and implausible assumptions,” they write in their report.
Wonder who offered to pick up the tab for Jacobson's potential legal bills.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

noddy wrote: i swear that in this day and age of sattelites most global warming folks dont have working eyeballs.

the earth is concrete and grain fields, their is no wilderness anymore - except in mountains, frozen tundras and deserts.
Dude what are you talking about? Concern about global warming correlates positively with broader concern for human impact on the environment. The opposite seems to be true, too: global warming denialism tends to correlate strongly with skeptical -- even hostile -- attitudes toward environmental protection in general. Plenty of examples on this forum, in fact.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Typhoon wrote:The Spectator | How the World Bank [helps to] keeps poor nations poor
Its policy of eco-imperialism forces renewables on a reluctant but largely helpless developing world
That such policies are easier to enact on the weaker, developing world is no more or less just than wealthy people having access to lifestyle- and health-enhancing goods and services before the poor do. The same people decrying the former will foam at the mouth and label you a Marxist for pointing out the latter. The planet is more important than the base aspirations of humans, including poor ones. The fair thing to do would be to begin imposing sensible energy policies on the developed world, too. Global birth rationing would not be a bad idea, either.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:
Typhoon wrote:The Spectator | How the World Bank [helps to] keeps poor nations poor
That such policies are easier to enact on the weaker, developing world is no more or less just than wealthy people having access to lifestyle- and health-enhancing goods and services before the poor do. The same people decrying the former will foam at the mouth and label you a Marxist for pointing out the latter. The planet is more important than the base aspirations of humans, including poor ones. The fair thing to do would be to begin imposing sensible energy policies on the developed world, too. Global birth rationing would not be a bad idea, either.
Well, you're hardly the first person to believe that he knows what is best for everyone else and to suggest that draconian measures be imposed because of some imminent, yet ever receding, imaginary crisis.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Perhaps you can tell me who knows best? Do you have any constructive ideas on global governance? I'm not aware of any society past or present that simply left people to their own devices. Contrary to your house-of-cards arguments on these topics, the world faces numerous environmental threats and the warning signs are pretty clear by now. Wildlife populations have been decimated by humans and many species survive only thanks to government support.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:Perhaps you can tell me who knows best? Do you have any constructive ideas on global governance?
Certainly. Given people the freedom to make their own decisions with the role of government to ensure a fair playing field, not to pick winner and losers by the criteria of the day.
Zack Morris wrote:I'm not aware of any society past or present that simply left people to their own devices.
It's not a binary choice: no government or dictatorship by you.
Zack Morris wrote:Contrary to your house-of-cards arguments on these topics,
So you claim by assertion. Your unsupported opinion is worth exactly bupkes.
Zack Morris wrote:The world faces numerous environmental threats and the warning signs are pretty clear by now.
There are real environmental problems: deforestation, loss and fragmentation of biospheres, over fishing,
pollution esp in countries such as India and China.
However, none are global level extinction events.

One of the biggest killers in 3rd world countries is indoor air pollution due to burning wood/peat/dung/etc.
The 1st world supposed altruistic NGOs are attempting to deny these people adequate electrification and are instead trying to force them to buy into 1st world luxury toy methods of power generation such as wind and solar.

However, AGW is not the imminent apocalypse. It is part of a long list of failed doomsday prophecies such as overpopulation leading to mass starvation [Malthus], genetic decline in humans [US and UK early 20 century progressives who promoted eugenics], overpopulation/resource depletion/pollution leading to the imminent deaths of billions [Club of Rome/Ehrlich and Holdren] including about 100 million Americans by 1989.
Zack Morris wrote:Wildlife populations have been decimated by humans and many species survive only thanks to government support.
Some have, others thrive.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: That such policies are easier to enact on the weaker, developing world is no more or less just than wealthy people having access to lifestyle- and health-enhancing goods and services before the poor do. The same people decrying the former will foam at the mouth and label you a Marxist for pointing out the latter. The planet is more important than the base aspirations of humans, including poor ones. The fair thing to do would be to begin imposing sensible energy policies on the developed world, too. Global birth rationing would not be a bad idea, either.
I think in the past this was called "imperialism".
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote:Perhaps you can tell me who knows best?
Anyone but leftist.
Do you have any constructive ideas on global governance? I'm not aware of any society past or present that simply left people to their own devices. Contrary to your house-of-cards arguments on these topics, the world faces numerous environmental threats and the warning signs are pretty clear by now. Wildlife populations have been decimated by humans and many species survive only thanks to government support.
Every doomsday prediction I know of concerning the environment has failed. Every single one.