Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Climate and the Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/02/ ... arges.html
Federal scientist cooked climate change books ahead of Obama(COP21) presentation, whistle blower charges
Prefer the original article and rebuttal:

https://judithcurry.com/2017/02/04/clim ... mate-data/

https://judithcurry.com/2017/02/06/resp ... mate-data/
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: UN reveals real reason for AGW scare

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Simple Minded wrote:
YMix wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:The elimination of capitalism.

https://geopolitics.co/2017/02/04/u-n-o ... ing-scare/
They're too late. Robots will do the job cheaper and more efficiently.
Not if they are Capitalist robots... ;)
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Doc

Post by Doc »

Some of the stats are dated or off However it seems fungi/bacterial ratio is killing the planet.

http://rcemedia.csuchico.edu/Mediasite/ ... 9c4d6c3b1d
Soil Microbes: Their Powerful Influence in Agroecosytems

Fungi can save the world!

Mycorrhizal fungi pulls more CO2 from the atmosphere than any other method. In 15-20 years it could get us back to 350 ppm from the human-caused 400+ it is now.

Regenerative Agriculture practitioners found humanity’s 10,000-year-old mistake: plowing. Turning the soil kills the mycorrhizal fungi that, in nature, coat every root ha ir and bring minerals to the plant in exchange for 20 to 50% of the sugars photosynthesized by the plant.

David Johnson, PhD, of the U. of New Mexico, finds that inoculating cover crops on only half of the world’s fallow land would sequester enough CO2 in the soil. Meanwhile, corporate and government aerosol spraying (‘chemtrails’), supposedly done to cool the climate, actually warms earth.

Tests show that using fungi costs less and works faster, on a big enough scale, than any other method. Plus, using fungi doubles yields with no extra water, makes ‘tra ditional’ seeds outperform GMO seeds, and ends the need for nitrate fertilizer.

Dr. Johnson’s talk at Chico State, including charts and graphs:
PDF version

http://quiviracoalition.org/images/pdfs ... uivira.pdf
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

One reads lots of articles blaming first the drought and now the deluge in California on man-made climate change.

Turns out it is part of the natural climate cycle in California:

Sci Am | California Megaflood: Lessons from a Forgotten Catastrophe

If one is going to build a civilization in a semi-arid flood plain, then one should be prepared.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

I have a question here - is it time to give up on global warming and concentrate on preserving the biodiversity we already have? Things like being more critical and objective about how we use pesticides, antibiotics and manage land use. We have a problem with the rusty patched bumble bee that will make our food choices suck in a hurry if we don't do something responsibly about it. An example subject on a different matter: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23390501
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:I have a question here - is it time to give up on global warming and concentrate on preserving the biodiversity we already have? Things like being more critical and objective about how we use pesticides, antibiotics and manage land use. We have a problem with the rusty patched bumble bee that will make our food choices suck in a hurry if we don't do something responsibly about it. An example subject on a different matter: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23390501
Atmospheric CO2 has been a huge distraction from actual problems:

clean air; chemical and particulate smog causing millions of deaths; re China and India, Indonesia and Malaysia
access to clean water; everywhere outside the industrialized part of the world and Flint, MI
deforestation, niche fragmentation, and subsequent loss of biodiversity; loss of rainforests and other ecosystems replaced by monoculture in S America, SE Asia, and Africa
over fishing of the oceans; everywhere
indiscriminate overuse of antibiotics in livestock and esp humans leading to the evolution of antibiotic resistance in strains of deadly bacteria

Meanwhile trillions have been spent on an alleged global temperature rise of ~ 0.01C per year.

The good news is that as most plants evolved at higher atmospheric CO2 levels ~ 1000 to 1200ppm, they are not only surviving but thriving:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 ... ning-earth

https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-relea ... rising-CO2
noddy

Post by noddy »

indeed.

also - look at a satellite picture of any developed country and you will get suburbia and grain growing belts with tiny islands of remnant wildlife.

these are usually unconnected to each other so the trapped animals inbreed themselves to extinction and cant escape minor variations in seasonal weather, when normally they would migrate.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quite.

Pruitt is now confirmed as head of the US EPA. Interesting times.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:indeed.

also - look at a satellite picture of any developed country and you will get suburbia and grain growing belts with tiny islands of remnant wildlife.

these are usually unconnected to each other so the trapped animals inbreed themselves to extinction and cant escape minor variations in seasonal weather, when normally they would migrate.
Also true for the human breeders to lazy to migrate. Explains under performance in inner cities and remote rural small settlements........ ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Judith Curry, Ph.D. | CLIMATE MODELS for the layman [pdf]
Key summary points

• GCMs have not been subject to the rigorous verification and validation that is
the norm for engineering and regulatory science.

• There are valid concerns about a fundamental lack of predictability in the complex
nonlinear climate system.

• There are numerous arguments supporting the conclusion that climate models
are not fit for the purpose of identifying with high confidence the proportion
of the 20th century warming that was human-caused as opposed to natural.

• There is growing evidence that climate models predict too much warming from
increased atmospheric carbon dioxide.

• The climate model simulation results for the 21st century reported by the Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) do not include key elements
of climate variability, and hence are not useful as projections for how the 21st
century climate will actually evolve.
Zack Morris

Re: The attempted Coup d'etat against Trump continues

Post by Zack Morris »

"I know more than climate scientists" and "the temperature of the Earth can't possibly be measured" is a great example of narrative in the face of factual empirical and analytical evidence.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:"I know more than climate scientists" and "the temperature of the Earth can't possibly be measured" is a great example of narrative in the face of factual empirical and analytical evidence.
Not if you understand what goes actually on inside the climate sausage factory.

Parroting ideology promoted in the main stream media is not understanding:

Reader beware: Science covered in the news is pretty likely to be overturned

One of the more interesting developments in current culture is group identity signalling by the requirement that one believe all or none of the right/conservative or left/regressive ideological positions. Rational questioning and dissent are not tolerated.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:"I know more than climate scientists" and "the temperature of the Earth can't possibly be measured" is a great example of narrative in the face of factual empirical and analytical evidence.
:lol: Sure, sure, sure, and satellite measurements, tree rings, and ice cores "measure the temperature of the Earth to within 0.01 degrees" and "the depth of the ocean with millimeter precision."

Yeah, uh, sure, you already said that before, but, ummm, then, and but what about....
Zack Morris wrote:Facts are not important (although the counter-Trump narrative thus far is entirely shaped by the facts surrounding this uniquely stupid man and his creepy handlers). Going forward, "alternative facts" are certainly fair game, as was demonstrated by the opposition during the Obama administration. All that matters is the efficacy of such "facts" and whether they stir the population (and by extension, their representatives) to action.
"Climate Scientists" would certainly agree! ;)

The "science" is "settled." If you listen to the "Flat Earthers" rather than give us more money, yer'all fucked!

I agree with you 100%, when it comes to controlling the masses, appealing to blind fear to spook the herd is much more effective than reasoning with intelligence. Kinda splains why it keeps happening over and over and over again. Coming Ice Age, Population Time Bomb, Acid Rain, Hole in the O-Zone layer, etc......

IIRC, according to the "experts" we're a couple hundred days past the envelope of saving the world anyway. Time to party on Dude!

Kudos for being one of the few who had a brief flirtation with actually preaching what they practice. :) Keep the faith Bro! A few more years and you will realize you're clinging to a false religion.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Lovely.

However, climate scientists are as yet unable to distinguish between the processed global temperature data and a randomly generated time series.

More later.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
One of the more interesting developments in current culture is group identity signalling by the requirement that one believe all or none of the right/conservative or left/regressive ideological positions. Rational questioning and dissent are not tolerated.
Very well said. In the last 20 years or so, group identity Trumps (pun intended) all. Personal integrity and individual responsibility be damned.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

:lol: These are the assertions I love about AGW.

Tell a True Believer, "I doubt your claims regarding your ability to hyper-accurately measure the temperature of the Earth, even using modern technology."

They will inevitably respond with hyper-accurate measurements of temperature and other variables to support their case. Even using data that is over 120 years old in the case of the above graphs! :o

No change in solar output over 140 years, really? Damn those satellites were good, even pre-Wright Brothers!

Then tell a AGWTBers, give me any single temperature data point you have from Earth, and I'll bet I can move that location 50 feet to 100 yards, or change the time of the measurement by a few minutes, and I'll get a temperature that differs by at least 3 degrees. Their eyes glaze over.

Then ask them "Why was the temperature of the Earth 100 years ago the optimum temperature?" crickets......
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Simple Minded wrote:
:lol: These are the assertions I love about AGW.

Tell a True Believer, "I doubt your claims regarding your ability to hyper-accurately measure the temperature of the Earth, even using modern technology."

They will inevitably respond with hyper-accurate measurements of temperature and other variables to support their case. Even using data that is over 120 years old in the case of the above graphs! :o

No change in solar output over 140 years, really? Damn those satellites were good, even pre-Wright Brothers!

Then tell a AGWTBers, give me any single temperature data point you have from Earth, and I'll bet I can move that location 50 feet to 100 yards, or change the time of the measurement by a few minutes, and I'll get a temperature that differs by at least 3 degrees. Their eyes glaze over.

Then ask them "Why was the temperature of the Earth 100 years ago the optimum temperature?" crickets......
You've deliberately created a series of strawmen. But sorry, the warming is real, the proxy sources too numerous, laser measurements are too accurate, and the mechanism too well understood to deny any further. Until you provide an alternative hypothesis to explain the remarkably consistent data, making vague, disjointed arguments about statistical variance aren't going to cut it. This issue has been approached from a thousand angles and nobody has been able to refute the core hypothesis. All of the actual scientific critics have fallen silent or conceded defeat and we're just left with clueless politicians and bitter right-wingers carrying on their Forever War against science.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:
You've deliberately created a series of strawmen. But sorry, the warming is real, the proxy sources too numerous, laser measurements are too accurate, and the mechanism too well understood to deny any further. Until you provide an alternative hypothesis to explain the remarkably consistent data, making vague, disjointed arguments about statistical variance aren't going to cut it. This issue has been approached from a thousand angles and nobody has been able to refute the core hypothesis. All of the actual scientific critics have fallen silent or conceded defeat and we're just left with clueless politicians and bitter right-wingers carrying on their Forever War against science.
Zack,

You always crack me up! :lol: You're like a born again Christian arguing that Jesus is the Son of God, and when challenged, all you have is "The Bible says so!"

To which I reply "Really, then prove it!"

To which you reply "Well, actually, the priest that delivers the sermon on Sunday told me the bible says so! I don't actually read Latin!" :lol:

Do yourself a favor, pick up a thermometer that records to 0.01 degree, monitor the temperature inside your apartment for a week, then tell us how many data points you needed, and how often you had to measure them to get an "accurate" measurement within 0.1 degree.

Then the tough part, prove it! Without using your own data as gospel. good luck!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Lovely.

However, climate scientists are as yet unable to distinguish between the processed global temperature data and a randomly generated time series.

More later.
Actually, Scott Adams does an excellent job.

How to Convince Skeptics that Climate Change is a Problem

A classic along the lines of "We come not to bury Caesar, but to praise him."
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Scary how all major political parties in the Netherlands play the MMGW card like true believers. Minus the party FVD I will be voting for, I'm very impressed by them, ie Thierry Baudet who has very informed opinions and rational policy plans an all issues that matter. The polls give him only one seat, but I think it will be 2-4 seats in parliament and it's a beginning. He says the degree to which and how human activity and C02 for instance contribute to climate change is unknown and does not legitimize the billions of euros spent that better be spent on proven causes of other known environmental problems. A refreshing sound.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Wildlife is part of Climate and the Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Persian Lion extinguished

5_Fb8XDeV4A

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Scary how all major political parties in the Netherlands play the MMGW card like true believers. Minus the party FVD I will be voting for, I'm very impressed by them, ie Thierry Baudet who has very informed opinions and rational policy plans an all issues that matter. The polls give him only one seat, but I think it will be 2-4 seats in parliament and it's a beginning. He says the degree to which and how human activity and C02 for instance contribute to climate change is unknown and does not legitimize the billions of euros spent that better be spent on proven causes of other known environmental problems. A refreshing sound.
It has been an amazing spectacle to watch the birth of the AGW religion. Kind of a reverse Tulip Bulb mania. Posterity will look back with astonishment at current gullibility.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote:It has been an amazing spectacle to watch the birth of the AGW religion. Kind of a reverse Tulip Bulb mania. Posterity will look back with astonishment at current gullibility.
Indeed. Gullibility and too much vested interest in that political agenda.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Actually, Scott Adams does an excellent job.

How to Convince Skeptics that Climate Change is a Problem

A classic along the lines of "We come not to bury Caesar, but to praise him."
Excellent write up by Mr. Adams. Thanks for posting Typhoon.

Even if one knew nothing about science, which I suspect is true of most AGW believers, Adams raises an interesting question (my paraphrasing): "If their methodology is so sound, why do they immediately resort to the language and tactics of charlatans, religious fanatics, and school yard bullies whenever a questioning attitude is encountered?"

I suspect it is because they know their emperor is naked!

I would like to see them prove their accuracy by measuring the temperature of even a small chunk of the Earth, such as Central Park, within 0.1 degree. I suspect they will never try because it would be too easy to disprove their claimed accuracy.