Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Climate and the Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote: . . .

But rest assured, in this new warmed up world, the Europeans can now migrate up north themselves to the Arctic to make more room for the Africans!
So, have you started packing yet?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WT | Hanging together to save affordable power
Conventional energy suppliers are all threatened by radical green advocates
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WP | No peace for Greenpeace

Could not happen to a nicer group of greenmailing extortionists.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Dem Party Platform Calls For Prosecuting Global Warming Skeptics
Photo of Michael Bastasch
Michael Bastasch
11:14 AM 06/27/2016

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton addresses the Democratic National Committee (DNC) Summer Meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, August 28, 2015. REUTERS/Craig Lassig Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton addresses the Democratic National Committee (DNC) Summer Meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, August 28, 2015. REUTERS/Craig Lassig

Democratic operatives responsible for creating their party’s platform this year have unanimously adopted a provision calling for the Department of Justice to investigate companies who disagree with Democrats on global warming science.

A panel of Democrats voted Friday to approve a final draft of the party’s platform to promote “Progressive Democratic Values,” which apparently includes investigating energy companies who “misled” shareholders about global warming.
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/27/dem-p ... -skeptics/
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

How bizarre.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Britain SHUTS DOWN Its Global Warming Agency
Brexit is already having positive economic impact.
The backlash against British wind power occurred when the country’s government was already forced to take emergency measures to keep the lights on and official government analysis suggests the country could have insufficient electricity on a windless or cloudy days to meet demand. Brownouts and blackouts caused by wind and solar power have already impacted the U.K.
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/14/brita ... ing-agency
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The unfolding energy crisis in South Australia was foreseeable… and foreseen.

Wind and solar again demonstrate their complete lack of feasibility.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Jo Nova | Backflip: Antarctic peninsula, posterchild of Polar disaster, has been cooling not warming

Backflip accompanied by furious backpedalling.

I recall the former poster known as 4$ bill was forever going on about how the rapidly melting Antarctic peninsula was going to drown us all.

Unfortunately, he never did take me up on my generous offer to purchase his soon-to-be-inundated seafront property for AUD $1.
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

129.2 Fahrenheit in Iraq and Kuwait right now

http://mashable.com/2016/07/22/middle-e ... 88hznmTuqH
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:129.2 Fahrenheit in Iraq and Kuwait right now

And this one data point is due to . . . ?

It was 56.7 °C (134.1 °F) in Death Valley, CA, USA in 1913.

What was that due to?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Ammianus wrote:129.2 Fahrenheit in Iraq and Kuwait right now

And this one data point is due to . . . ?
AGW or wrath of god....... whichever one makes one's nipples hard :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Matt Ridley | Trust experts on anything but the future

Exactly.

I'm old enough to have lost count of how many predictions of "imminent" man-made catastrophes that I've not only survived,
but thrived despite.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Climate Change "Science" attracts a hell of a lot of math debaters...... How long before they all go blind?

as well as Math Debasers....
Doc

Post by Doc »

Soros Paid Al Gore MILLIONS To Push ‘Aggressive US Action’ On Global Warming
Photo of Michael Bastasch
Michael Bastasch
10:08 AM 08/17/2016

Liberal billionaire George Soros gave former Vice President Al Gore’s environmental group millions of dollars over three years to create a “political space for aggressive U.S. action” on global warming, according to leaked documents.

A document published by DC Leaks shows Soros, a Hungarian-born liberal financier, wanted his nonprofit Open Society Institute (OSI) to do more to support global warming policies in the U.S. That included budgeting $10 million in annual support to Gore’s climate group over three years.

“U.S. Programs Global Warming Grants U.S. Programs became engaged on the global warming issue about four years ago, at George Soros’s suggestion,” reads a leaked OSI memo.

“There has been a budget of $11 million for global warming grants in the U.S. Programs budget for the last several years,” the memo reads. “This budget item captures George Soros’s commitment of $10 million per year for three years to Al Gore’s Alliance for Climate Protection, which conducts public education on the climate issue in pursuit of creating political space for aggressive U.S. action in line with what scientists say is necessary to put our nation on a path to reducing its outsize carbon dioxide emissions.”
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/17/soros ... al-warming
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Uhhhh........isn't Global Warming supposed to GOOD?????

http://www.startribune.com/future-clima ... 392357051/
In the course of a 17-year experiment on more than 1 million plants, scientists put future global warming to a real world test — growing California flowers and grasslands with extra heat, carbon dioxide and nitrogen to mimic a not-so-distant, hotter future.

The results, simulating a post-2050 world, aren't pretty. And they contradict those who insist that because plants like carbon dioxide — the main heat-trapping gas spewed by the burning of fossil fuels — climate change isn't so bad, and will result in a greener Earth.
At least in the California ecosystem, the plants that received extra carbon dioxide, as well as those that got extra warmth, didn't grow more or get greener. They also didn't remove the pollution and store more of it in the soil, said study author Chris Field, director of the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment. Plant growth tended to decline with rising temperatures.

"This experiment really puts to bed the idea of a greener hypothesis where ecosystems save us from the implications of human-induced climate change," Field said.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the paper says they tested a few californian meadows.

australian arid plants hate good conditions, they have evolved to extract every last bit of resource from poor environments and go rotten when their is too much nutrient around.

all in all, maybe its true, maybe its not, the article doesnt say what you claim it says.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:the paper says they tested a few californian meadows.

australian arid plants hate good conditions, they have evolved to extract every last bit of resource from poor environments and go rotten when their is too much nutrient around.

all in all, maybe its true, maybe its not, the article doesnt say what you claim it says.
Spot on.

The quotes by the activists, er, scientists in the article are the kind of wild and crazy speculative extrapolation that has become the norm for PRs and general media reports in a number fields of science.

I've been searching for the original article on PNAS [not searching for . . .] and have not located it.

Meanwhile, came across another "post 2050" [in quotes, as we can currently only guess what the climate will be then] paper on elevated CO2 and grasslands, that draws rather different conclusions:

http://www.pnas.org/content/113/22/6224 ... 600213ddd8

A lot of activists run around quoting a peer-reviewed paper as though it were proof in the sense that quoting religious text is proof to a religious fundamentalist or quoting Mao was proof to a Red Guard.

In part this is based on a complete misunderstanding of what is peer-review and, in the end, the nature of the scientific process.

There is good empirical evidence that rising CO2 levels have lead to global greening, especially in borderline desert regions.

Grain production is ever increasing, the wheat harvest this year set a new production record. Farmers are having a hard time finding enough space to store it.

_____

In science, the history of consensus by authority and opinion as opposed to evidence is the history of mostly being wrong.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:Uhhhh........isn't Global Warming supposed to GOOD?????

http://www.startribune.com/future-clima ... 392357051/
In the course of a 17-year experiment on more than 1 million plants, scientists put future global warming to a real world test — growing California flowers and grasslands with extra heat, carbon dioxide and nitrogen to mimic a not-so-distant, hotter future.

The results, simulating a post-2050 world, aren't pretty. And they contradict those who insist that because plants like carbon dioxide — the main heat-trapping gas spewed by the burning of fossil fuels — climate change isn't so bad, and will result in a greener Earth.
At least in the California ecosystem, the plants that received extra carbon dioxide, as well as those that got extra warmth, didn't grow more or get greener. They also didn't remove the pollution and store more of it in the soil, said study author Chris Field, director of the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment. Plant growth tended to decline with rising temperatures.

"This experiment really puts to bed the idea of a greener hypothesis where ecosystems save us from the implications of human-induced climate change," Field said.
Why one should take the time and trouble to read and dissect the original scientific report:

A Chemist at Langley | Why that new study in PNAS does not undercut any “myths” about carbon dioxide and its effect on plant health

tl;dr. These climate scientists, so-called, and activist would save a lot of time, effort, and taxpayer's money by learning and understanding

Liebig's Law of the Minimum
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/10/17/ ... t-science/
Leaked Clinton campaign memo on ‘climate change’ shows it’s really about politics, not science
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Deep down I'm very superficial
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I haven't followed MMGW for many years. When obama failed to pass a carbon system in his first 2 years, with 60% of the congress, I knew it was a dead issue.

I've been attending a LOT of biology conferences recently, and discovered some facts the innumerate warming fundamentalists seeming totally ignorant of.

1) maybe 15-20% of the CO2 comes from driving around, even including airplanes. 90% of the "solution" is focused on cars.

2) Methane gas from cows may be as much as 20 times more a greater greenhouse effect than CO2. Zero effort is spent on reducing the eating of cows. In fact, if you really believed in MMGW and wanted to reduce it, the easiest thing to do is make cow eating illegal. OTOH, production of replacement foods may still produce some methane. But everything I've seen is way less. IF you are a warmer then the biggest bang for the buck in terms of remediation would be to stop eating cows.

So warming fundamentalists are dumber than I thought.
Censorship isn't necessary