Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

Re: Climate and the Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Doc »

http://news.spaceweather.com/sunspot-cy ... n-5-years/
Sunspot Cycle at Lowest Level in 5 Years
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://realclimatescience.com/2017/01/a ... s-as-1940/
Arctic Sea Ice The Same Thickness As 1940
Posted on January 3, 2017 by tonyheller

In 1940, Arctic sea ice was two meters thick.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/04/paper ... ium=Social
PAPER: ‘Overwhelming Whiteness’ Is Holding Us Back In The Fight Against Global Warming
Photo of Michael Bastasch
Michael Bastasch
3:52 PM 01/04/2017

Environmentalists demonstrate during a street parade as part of the "Global Village of Alternatives" events held in Montreuil, near Paris, France, December 5, 2015 as the World Climate Change Conference 2015 (COP21) continues at Le Bourget near the French capital. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

Environmentalists need to move past the “overwhelming whiteness” that is keeping them from winning the debate on global warming, according to an article published on the news site Quartz.

“Given the environmental threats posed by a Trump administration, it’s more crucial than ever that Americans work together to fight climate change,” authors Nicole Smith Dahmen, Troy Elias, Deborah Morrison and Daniel Morrison wrote in Quartz.

“And in order to achieve broad, collaborative action, the mainstream environmental movement will need to take a hard look at how its overwhelming whiteness has thus far hobbled its efforts,” they wrote.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Convenient and reliable fossil fuels for me,
Intermittent and unreliable green energy for thee.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/04/paper ... ium=Social
PAPER: ‘Overwhelming Whiteness’ Is Holding Us Back In The Fight Against Global Warming
Photo of Michael Bastasch
Michael Bastasch
3:52 PM 01/04/2017

Environmentalists demonstrate during a street parade as part of the "Global Village of Alternatives" events held in Montreuil, near Paris, France, December 5, 2015 as the World Climate Change Conference 2015 (COP21) continues at Le Bourget near the French capital. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

Environmentalists need to move past the “overwhelming whiteness” that is keeping them from winning the debate on global warming, according to an article published on the news site Quartz.

“Given the environmental threats posed by a Trump administration, it’s more crucial than ever that Americans work together to fight climate change,” authors Nicole Smith Dahmen, Troy Elias, Deborah Morrison and Daniel Morrison wrote in Quartz.

“And in order to achieve broad, collaborative action, the mainstream environmental movement will need to take a hard look at how its overwhelming whiteness has thus far hobbled its efforts,” they wrote.
I have long thought "Ya know, if Climate Scientists could only work racism into their computer model projections, they would instantly gain considerably more credibility."

Since I am a man of science, let me help.

"Can anyone tell me why the Earth has warmed 1.5 degrees in the last 150 years for white people, but 2.5 degrees during the same period for non-white people? Anyone? Yes, you, the bitter looking man in the third row."
"Racism!"
"Actually, it is simply because dark surfaces absorb more radiant energy from the sun than light surfaces. But for you, you should probably just stick with racism."
"You think I'm wrong? Yer a racist!"
"Technically, since I have a PHd.... you will address me as Dr. Racist! Now, try to remember that the X axis is the horizontal axis, and that the Y-axis is the vertical axis. Class dismissed"
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Convenient and reliable fossil fuels for me,
Yes indeed. Green money for me soylent green for thee .
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Seriously, do we still need so much energy?

I'm looking around my room full of led light bulbs and solid state electronics. Almost everything except major appliances have step-down transformers. I'm more lightning bug than lightning bolt when it comes to electricity, but I bet it would be possible to run most of a home on 12 volts instead of 110.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Seriously, do we still need so much energy?

I'm looking around my room full of led light bulbs and solid state electronics. Almost everything except major appliances have step-down transformers. I'm more lightning bug than lightning bolt when it comes to electricity, but I bet it would be possible to run most of a home on 12 volts instead of 110.
Careful Nonc, promoting DC over AC will get you labeled as some kind of phobe. :shock:

Some activist group is already planning a protest.

Any other latent preferences or prejudices you want to tell us about while you're at it? :?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Convenient and reliable fossil fuels for me,
Yes indeed. Green money for me soylent green for thee .
The original renewable resource!
noddy

Post by noddy »

its more about the watts (volts * amps) than the volts and the high voltage is much better for long distance transport of power, low volt goes very crap very fast over distance so we need to step down for the last bit no matter what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_ ... ansmission

ovens are pretty crap on low watts and most of the tools in the shed likewise.

small fridges and most modern electronics are fine on low power 12v systems so its perfectly possible to live on camping gear alone provided you have a gas or woodfired oven - aslong as your house isnt so big as you push the wattage transmission limits of 12v and start fires :)

if/when the bloody usb plug stops changing (usb c?) it would be nice if houses came with those and a nice quality converter to drive them instead of a million dodgy wall warts.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

LED's will not cook food Will not keep food (and medicine) refridgerated. Will not run factories. (that use the bulk of electricity) They will not run your electric car. They will not heat homes. They will not cool homes. They will not run your computer(at least any time soon) They will not give you hot water. They will not even run the semi conductor fabs they are made in.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Doc wrote:

LED's will not cook food Will not keep food (and medicine) refridgerated. Will not run factories. (that use the bulk of electricity) They will not run your electric car. They will not heat homes. They will not cool homes. They will not run your computer(at least any time soon) They will not give you hot water. They will not even run the semi conductor fabs they are made in.
led's are low power lights. they make light.

low power systems can run fridges, including fridges with medicine in them.

we dont run factories in our houses.

they will run modern computers, have been ever since the ARM low power revolution that began with smart phones.

hot water, cooling and heating work fine from solar and low power in my country.

i dont run a semi conductor fab in my house, see factories.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I can see houses with a 12v strip above the baseboards. Run your new 12v stuff anywhere. Leave the 120/220v as is for now.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Climate Change Protesters at Trump Inauguration

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

It seems like there are more looky-loos and photogs than protestors.

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:It seems like there are more looky-loos and photogs than protestors.
Seems like the protesters are marching on down the street
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

nother indicator that AGW has gotten worse since Trump tool office....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2744557/w ... ble-beach/

ya never heard about stuff like this when O was POTUS....
Nonc Hilaire

UN reveals real reason for AGW scare

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Re: UN reveals real reason for AGW scare

Post by YMix »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:The elimination of capitalism.

https://geopolitics.co/2017/02/04/u-n-o ... ing-scare/
They're too late. Robots will do the job cheaper and more efficiently.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Hmmmmm..... those who previously lied about their motives, are suddenly believable when they say something that agrees with prior held beliefs. Are these the same experts who didn't see Hilary losing the election?

Why are so many who preach altruism, people of above average wealth?

Kind hearted they are, so they say.... but if so, why have they not already voluntarily given away the "above average" portion of their wealth?
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:

They're too late. Robots will do the job cheaper and more efficiently.
Not if they are Capitalist robots... ;)
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/02/ ... arges.html
Federal scientist cooked climate change books ahead of Obama(COP21) presentation, whistle blower charges