Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Simple Minded

Re: Climate and the Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:"Climate scientists" are doing for the credibility of science what pedophile Catholic priests did for the Catholic Church.
Quite.

You observation is one for the ages.
About 20 years ago, I recall reading an article where the author set out on a quest to prove American Oil Executives corrupted the Saudi government. After much research he thought it more likely that the Saudi royal family corrupted the oil executives with whom they did business.

As you have observed, it is tough for someone to understand a subject when they paycheck demands they don't understand or intentionally misrepresent.

Back to the group identity broad brush: The guy seeking the paycheck is the prostitute. Scientists getting in bed with politicians to obtain funding, eventually means that profession (broad brush) is respected equally as much as politicians are respected. In ORZ lingo, you wrestle with a pig and you both get dirty.

More data that each individual's behaviors and transactions should be evaluated on their own merits. Regardless of group identity. which requires time, effort, and specific knowledge........ who has time for that?

I think for a generation or two, stating you are a climate scientist, might be a standing joke. But, then again, Paul Erlich stills seems to earn a paycheck, If you can't predict well, predict often!
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Exit from Paris pact threatens U.S. global stature, European officials say

E.U. looks to deepen ties with China, signaling turning point in transatlantic alliance

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol, China bigger polluter than US. Looks like another globalist brainless temper tantrum.
Censorship isn't necessary
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Repost:
Hey...... C02 is good for trees and plants and other green growy things. I see the carbon or Calvin cycle to be far more benign then the present global warming cycle - a two step process which goes as follows:

1)Western democracies aren't redistributing the wealth fast enough and they need to be punished for their reluctance......

2)Maintain a set of climate change accords so that capital and wealth flows towards second and third world kleptocrats and therefore, functional economies everywhere can collapse. Because humans, y'know, suck......'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Heracleum Persicum

How G.O.P. Leaders Came to View Climate Change as
Fake Science

“Most Republicans still do not regard climate change as a hoax,” said Whit Ayres, a Republican strategist who worked for Senator Marco Rubio’s presidential campaign. “But the entire climate change debate has now been caught up in the broader polarization of American politics.”

“In some ways,” he added, “it’s become yet another of the long list of litmus test issues that determine whether or not you’re a good Republican.”

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

And a belief in imminent, yet always future, catastrophic man-made climate change has become the litmus test for being a good Democrat.

Life on earth has existed for nearly 4 billion years, not only having survived, but thrived.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

O.J. Simpson .. :lol:

This from a privileged clown who claimed that the gravest imminent threat facing mankind is man-made climate change.

Right.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

John Kerry flies on private jets.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:

O.J. Simpson .. :lol:

This from a privileged clown who claimed that the gravest imminent threat facing mankind is man-made climate change.

Right.
well, if you don't want to talk about your record as a senator, or Secretary of State..... unicorns are always a popular subject.....
Heracleum Persicum

Mr. Perfect wrote:John Kerry flies on private jets.

MP, each time you have a "burger" with "Heinz Ketchup", you paying for that "private Jet" .. that is the benefit marrying a rich wife .. and .. afaik, Heinz Ketchup is "Made in USA" and not made in Shanghai

Not so, those shoes you buy from "Ivanka" .. they made in China in sweat shops.

In that sense, Kerry an American patriot, not so, Ivanka or Jared Kushner who to the eyeball in dubious funding etc.

Kerry an American Hero.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

If you fly on a private jet you are causing global warming according to John Kerry. John Kerry is oj Simpson. John kerry is a polluter. John Kerry is a hypocrite.
Heracleum Persicum

Mr. Perfect wrote:If you fly on a private jet you are causing global warming according to John Kerry. John Kerry is oj Simpson. John kerry is a polluter. John Kerry is a hypocrite.

Seems you saying Kerry flying Airline he wouldn't be polluter .. that private jet bothering you ;)

Are cows the cause of global warming?

A cow does on overage release between 70 and 120 kg of Methane per year. Methane is a greenhouse gas like carbon dioxide (CO2). ... Cattle-breeding is taking a major factor for these greenhouse gas emissions according to FAO.

Major CO2 polluters are "cattle" .. you eating a Burger, you hypocrite. :lol:

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Anyone who flies on a private jet does not believe in mmgw. I don't believe in it either, so am not a hypocrite. John Kerry is hypocrite.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Are cows the cause of global warming?

A cow does on overage release between 70 and 120 kg of Methane per year. Methane is a greenhouse gas like carbon dioxide (CO2). ... Cattle-breeding is taking a major factor for these greenhouse gas emissions according to FAO.

Major CO2 polluters are "cattle" .. you eating a Burger, you hypocrite. :lol:
technically, since all breathing humans produce CO2 as well as methane, anyone who believes in MMGW and who does not commit suicide is a hypocrite.

If Climate Scientists were serious about solving the AGW problem, they would postulate an after life with 72 virgins in a green garden of Eden Heaven for all good people who end their own lives for the good of saving the planet from AGW. :P

Then, with a bit of leadership by example..... the downside of "all humans are bad" theory is it is tough to separate the saviors from the destroyers.....
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

AGW is a sect of scientism.

It is not the only sect, but perhaps the one that most clearly showcases the difference between scientism and science. It has priests, dogmas, heretics and approved exegesis of sacred texts.

The texts themselves are are promoted or purged by sectarian authorities, and only with great effort can adherents access the texts directly. They must rely upon summaries and derivative surveys of the texts bearing the imprimature of the authorized gatekeepers who enjoy luxurious academic sinecures.

These sinecures are funded by collections are taken up regularly via taxation and subscriptions to authorized publications.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:AGW is a sect of scientism.

It is not the only sect, but perhaps the one that most clearly showcases the difference between scientism and science. It has priests, dogmas, heretics and approved exegesis of sacred texts.

The texts themselves are are promoted or purged by sectarian authorities, and only with great effort can adherents access the texts directly. They must rely upon summaries and derivative surveys of the texts bearing the imprimature of the authorized gatekeepers who enjoy luxurious academic sinecures.

These sinecures are funded by collections are taken up regularly via taxation and subscriptions to authorized publications.
Excellent summary Nonc, thanks. Some of the members of the sect are extremely well armed no less.
Heracleum Persicum

Slowly but surely we may be seeing the lineaments of a Beijing-Brussels “comprehensive strategic partnership” envisioned by Chinese strategists since the early 2000s.

Or – in a more alarmist vein from a Western point of view – what we have is China closing the innovation gap with Europe by 2020.

The bottom line is that the EU cannot bypass the New Silk Roads’ gigantic, transcontinental infrastructural investment orbit. Beijing may not regard Brussels as a serious geopolitical player, but it does relish the EU going after US leadership in global trade.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

+1

A Reformation is overdue.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:

+1

I'm amazed there is not a plethora of international forums for posting scientific studies and datasets. The publication racket is antiquated.

And instead of formal, Oxford debates on YouTube we get TedTalks. Ptui.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

+1

I'm amazed there is not a plethora of international forums for posting scientific studies and datasets.
The physics preprint server arXiv.org serves this function.
It has expanded beyond physics to include mathematics, chemistry, biology, and computer science.

I recently read that chemistry and biology will be setting up their own similar preprint servers.

Some fields such as astronomy/astrophysics, genomics, and machine learning, to name a few do have public datasets.

Climate data sets, on the other hand, are zealously guarded by a small inner priesthood.

Add. More accurately, the original data before processing is zealously guarded.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
The publication racket is antiquated.
Indeed.

However, this will not change unless peer-reviewed publications, citations, and citation rankings are no longer the metrics used for career advancement and funding in academia.

I won't hold my breath on this.

In the case of climate, peer-review has been corrupted into pal-review.
Nonc Hilaire wrote: And instead of formal, Oxford debates on YouTube we get TedTalks. Ptui.
Quite.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

the obvious answer to solving Climate Change is to kill all the scientists, physicists, and engineers. It's only their disciplined thought processes that are holding US back....., right?

Postmodern Patron