Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: Climate and the Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Simple Minded wrote:
Doc wrote:Man made volcanic sea level rise.

Given the weight of all that CO2 Man is producing, in hindsight it was only a matter of time before it effected the pressure inside the earth, to the point that the earth contents would start leaking out, as if the earth had acme.

https://hedgeaccordingly.com/2017/11/oo ... rming.html

Oops, NASA Finds Mantle Plume Melting Antarctica From Below, not ‘global warming’
Rocket Scientists vs. Climate Scientists...... let the battle begin!
Okay....... you program it......^^........

oUBEKVbAUlo
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

JT | Heatstroke is the star in Japan but hypothermia deadlier, experts say

Accurate for every part of the planet that experiences cold weather.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

qZN2jt2cCU4

Quite.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

NYT
The More Education Republicans Have,
the Less They Tend to Believe in Climate Change

An exhaustive scientific report unveiled this month concluded that the earth is experiencing the warmest period in recorded history and that humans are the dominant cause of the temperature rise observed since the mid-20th century. That consensus does not extend to the American public.

:lol:

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:qZN2jt2cCU4

Quite.
Obviously a republican with a college degree..... :P

They are so smug!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

NYT

An exhaustive scientific report unveiled this month concluded that the earth is experiencing the warmest period in recorded history and that humans are the dominant cause of the temperature rise observed since the mid-20th century. That consensus does not extend to the American public.

Some educated people actually do think for themselves.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

NYT

Some educated people actually do think for themselves.

here's a supporting data point:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/robert-niro- ... 15458.html
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:puvLs8dHTQs

http://www.killclimatedeniers.com/
"David Finnigan is an Australian writer and theatre artist. Working with research scientists in the UK, Australia and Sweden, he creates work exploring climate and systems science. David is a Churchill Fellow and an Australia Council Early Career Fellow."

White people should not be allowed to practice science...... :P
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

EPA’s Pruitt: Agency will no long use junk ‘secret science’ to push climate change hoax

Hoax-Free Science: Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt said that he is putting an end to the use of “secret science” by the government office to drive climate policymaking.

“We need to make sure their data and methodology are published as part of the record,” Pruitt said in an exclusive interview with The Daily Caller. “Otherwise, it’s not transparent. It’s not objectively measured, and that’s important.”
https://thenationalsentinel.com/2018/03 ... ange-hoax/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Thank God for Republicans.
Censorship isn't necessary
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... ing-scare/
The Stunning Statistical Fraud Behind The Global Warming Scare

3:12 AM ET

Global Warming: The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration may have a boring name, but it has a very important job: It measures U.S. temperatures. Unfortunately, it seems to be a captive of the global warming religion. Its data are fraudulent.

What do we mean by fraudulent? How about this: NOAA has made repeated "adjustments" to its data, for the presumed scientific reason of making the data sets more accurate.

Nothing wrong with that. Except, all their changes point to one thing — lowering previously measured temperatures to show cooler weather in the past, and raising more recent temperatures to show warming in the recent present.

This creates a data illusion of ever-rising temperatures to match the increase in CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere since the mid-1800s, which global warming advocates say is a cause-and-effect relationship. The more CO2, the more warming.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angele ... etty-cool/

https://www.demilked.com/white-streets- ... s-angeles/

https://www.popsci.com/la-is-painting-i ... -city-cool

I have often wondered why those who believe in global warming have not spent their own money putting reflective material on the tops of their roofs and parking lots. In urban areas, the effects could be yuge.

The "combatting global warming" aspect of the presentation is just food for boobs. But it will be interesting to see if it can reduce the local urban heat island effect. For years, my AGW True Believers have scoffed when I said "Maybe the increase in local urban temperatures is due to more pavement and concrete, not due to CO2." Someone must have tripped over a Physics text book somewhere inside the Ministry of Climate Fiddling.

It will be interesting to see if such a drastic change in road color results in a measurable change in traffic accidents.

Hopefully, this will not also be viewed as a potential solution to AGR (Anthropogenic Global Racism).
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island

heat islands caused by replacing all the trees with concrete and bitumen are a microclimate effect with decades of research and proof in them - unrelated to global warming.

you can pick a hot day then stand in a car park and then stand under a tree and prove that one for yourself.. it requires no large budgets.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island

heat islands caused by replacing all the trees with concrete and bitumen are a microclimate effect with decades of research and proof in them - unrelated to global warming.

you can pick a hot day then stand in a car park and then stand under a tree and prove that one for yourself.. it requires no large budgets.
true nuff, but once one has access to large budgets, one has to spend them..... and it's a lot easier to rationalize/sell one's solutions based on solving a world wide problem rather than just "Hey, the people who live on Elm Street will be able to walk down their street barefoot in July."

looking forward to the local Climate Computer Modeling employment explosion in LA. first resume that claims they can measure the Earth's temp to 0.0001 degree gets the job! The rationalization and cost/benefit analysises will be interesting.

plus the explosion in street sweeper employment, and of course the political donations from the local street sweeper's union (yet to be formed).

I've applied for a CA grant to research replacing car tires with magical street cleaning wheels...... kinda like a cross between a wet Swiffer pad and a paint roller.... and of course roof mount vacuums.

What's the difference between a computer modeler and a statistician?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angele ... etty-cool/

https://www.demilked.com/white-streets- ... s-angeles/

https://www.popsci.com/la-is-painting-i ... -city-cool

I have often wondered why those who believe in global warming have not spent their own money putting reflective material on the tops of their roofs and parking lots. In urban areas, the effects could be yuge.

The "combatting global warming" aspect of the presentation is just food for boobs. But it will be interesting to see if it can reduce the local urban heat island effect. For years, my AGW True Believers have scoffed when I said "Maybe the increase in local urban temperatures is due to more pavement and concrete, not due to CO2." Someone must have tripped over a Physics text book somewhere inside the Ministry of Climate Fiddling.

It will be interesting to see if such a drastic change in road color results in a measurable change in traffic accidents.

Hopefully, this will not also be viewed as a potential solution to AGR (Anthropogenic Global Racism).
I replaced my old asphalt roof with a white steel one and my power bill dropped by 40%. Combination of reflectivity and the insulating pad they install under the roof.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: I replaced my old asphalt roof with a white steel one and my power bill dropped by 40%. Combination of reflectivity and the insulating pad they install under the roof.
Yep. Light colored metal roofs are excellent reflectors. Hence my previous post. Where are all the Hollywood types covering their mansions with polished metal or mirrors?

At the very least one would think Al Gore would have thought of this.

Back home in Rochester NY, there was a company called Zero Heat. R-44 walls and R-60 ceiling IIRC. They heated a 1300 sq ft home thru a Rochester winter on 34 cents of electricity.

Local climate control is easy.

In SimpleMindedStan we have perfected combating local heat zones with straw hats painted with Chrome/Aluminum paint or wrapped in Aluminum foil (patent pending).
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

White metal roofs are more cost effective than solar panels, and you shouldn't put 20 yr solar panels on an old roof anyway.

Teresa of Ávila
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

The Great Barrier Reef has never been in better shape than before:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/worl ... -reef.html
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Ammianus wrote:The Great Barrier Reef has never been in better shape than before:
makes one wonder why those selfish Striners aren't building a white metal roof over the Great Barrier Reef....

heartless bastards! :x

alright. rethought that idea. it's too expensive.

but..... if you dumped tons and tons of empty white plastic bleach bottles (with the caps still on of course) into the ocean over top of the GBR, it would have the same effect...... plus you could save money on landfills..... win-win! :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

In celebration of Earth Day, predictions of the experts from the past redux:

Reason | Happy Earth Day: A Reprise of Failed Doom
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.117 ... -17-0667.1
The impact of recent forcing and ocean heat uptake data on estimates of climate sensitivity
Nicholas Lewis1 and Judith Curry2

Add to Favorites Track Citation Download Citation Email

https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0667.1
Published Online: 23 April 2018

Abstract
PDF

Abstract

Energy budget estimates of equilibrium climate sensitivity (ECS) and transient climate response (TCR) are derived based on the best estimates and uncertainty ranges for forcing provided in the IPCC Fifth Assessment Scientific Report (AR5). Recent revisions to greenhouse gas forcing and post-1990 ozone and aerosol forcing estimates are incorporated and the forcing data extended from 2011 to 2016. Reflecting recent evidence against strong aerosol forcing, its AR5 uncertainty lower bound is increased slightly. Using a 1869–1882 base period and a 2007−2016 final period, which are well-matched for volcanic activity and influence from internal variability, medians are derived for ECS of 1.50 K (5−95%: 1.05−2.45 K) and for TCR of 1.20 K (5−95%: 0.9−1.7 K). These estimates both have much lower upper bounds than those from a predecessor study using AR5 data ending in 2011. Using infilled, globally-complete temperature data gives slightly higher estimates; a median of 1.66 K for ECS (5−95%: 1.15−2.7 K) and 1.33 K for TCR (5−95%:1.0−1.90 K). These ECS estimates reflect climate feedbacks over the historical period, assumed time-invariant. Allowing for possible time-varying climate feedbacks increases the median ECS estimate to 1.76 K (5−95%: 1.2−3.1 K), using infilled temperature data. Possible biases from non-unit forcing efficacy, temperature estimation issues and variability in sea-surface temperature change patterns are examined and found to be minor when using globally-complete temperature data. These results imply that high ECS and TCR values derived from a majority of CMIP5 climate models are inconsistent with observed warming during the historical period.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:The Great Barrier Reef has never been in better shape than before:
History repeating.

2017 - 2018 corresponds to a natural el Nino event.

The previous one was 1997 - 1998.

2001–2002
The summer of 2001–2002 saw a mass bleaching event that was slightly more severe than the 1997–1998 event. The first signs of substantial bleaching were reported in January 2002, with the worst over by April.

In response, GBRMPA implemented the world's most comprehensive survey of coral bleaching in collaboration with AIMS, the Cooperative Research Centre for the Great Barrier Reef (CRC Reef) and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Aerial surveys revealed bleaching in 54 per cent of the 641 reefs observed. Nearly 41 per cent of offshore and 72 per cent of inshore reefs had moderate or high levels of bleaching.

Again, reef recovery was generally good, with fewer than five per cent of the reefs suffering high mortality. The worst affected reefs were in the Bowen area where around 70 per cent of corals died.

1997–1998 [Coincinding with the previous natural el Nino.]
The summer of 1997–1998 was one of the hottest recorded on the Reef in the 20th century. Mild bleaching began in late January 1998 and intensified by February/March. Extensive aerial surveys of 654 reefs conducted by scientists from the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) showed that 74 per cent of inshore and 21 per cent of offshore reefs had moderate to high levels of bleaching.

Most reefs recovered fully, with less than five per cent of inshore reefs suffering high coral mortality. The most severely affected reefs were in the Palm Island area, where up to 70 per cent of corals died.
Note that GBR coral bleaching records have been kept only since the 1980s.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »