The Coming Technological Stagnation.......

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Ammianus

The Coming Technological Stagnation.......

Post by Ammianus »

...starts now.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/12 ... -worthless
As the process nodes shrink, it takes longer and longer for the cost-per-transistor to fall below the previous generation. At 20nm, the gains all-but vanish. Want to know why Nvidia rearchitected Fermi with a new emphasis on efficiency and performance/watt? You’re looking at the reason. If per-transistor costs remain constant, the only way to improve your cost structure is to make better use of the transistors you’ve got.
What this slide states — we can’t even call it a suggestion — is that smaller processes no longer improve yields by leading to a greater number of chips per wafer. Instead, the complexities and difficulties of manufacturing at the new process create a cost structure that provides precious little incentive to manufacture at the new process.

If openly criticizing a foundry partner is unusual, showing data that suggests that your foundry partner can’t provide a cost-effective strategy for building hardware at next-generation process nodes is… a few steps past that point. The recent launch of the GTX 680, and that card’s trifecta of price/performance/power-efficiency actually strengthens the impact of this data. NV would’ve had a good idea how the GK104 was shaping up when it spoke at ITPC in November; this isn’t a case where a company is angry about the performance of a particular part and looking for someone to blame.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/displa ... _Wane.html
The chief executive officer of Advanced Micro Devices said at a conference that advantages brought by the next-generation process technologies will get less noticeable than previously. As a result, AMD will need to transit to new technologies more wisely than before and attempt to innovate using proven fabrication processes.

"Now, let's talk about 20nm and 14nm. I think that we really flying hard in the path of subatomic environments. The price advantages as we move down nodes are starting to wane. The ability to [quickly improve] yields and ramp up our products (which have fixed amount of time) is under exceptional pressure. It costs huge amounts of money. I think we have to be strategic and think about how quickly we go down the node," said Rory Read, chief executive officer of AMD, during IT Supply Chain conference organized by Raymond James.Rory Read believes that the market of semiconductors will need to change drastically from what it is today. Even though AMD will inevitably adopt both 20nm and 14nm fabrication processes in the coming years, it will change its adoption approach and expects companies like Globalfoundries to change their pricing models so to make transitions to thinner processes viable for fabless designer of chips.

"Just go look at the cost of wafers as you move down those technologies, they are not going down, they are going up! If the yield does not go up, how do you get your return? You have to charge bigger prices. We will get there, we will move down [but ultimately there got to be different pricing model]," said the chief executive officer of AMD.
This phenomenon is not only limited only to AMD and Nvidia, but also TSMC, Globalfoundries, and Intel. And where the CPU/GPU trends go, so go the rest of technology. Ascension on their end lifts all boats in the tide. Stagnation or descension, on the other hand....

We have only started to explore graphene technology, while quantum computing is just beginning to be actively researched. Neither of them are remotely ready for the primetime.

Then you have labor costs in China. AKA rising and becoming ever so uncertain and unstable.

Take a good look around your daily tech, close your eyes, and remember them. They'll be virtually unchanged in the next 15-20 years. And if some incremental advanced parts happens to come along, be prepared to pay an arm, leg, and other sundry body parts for it. And the market won't be able to take that, at all

I think it's very, very likely all the big tech firms we're so familiar with like Intel, AMD, Microsoft, etc., a good number of them will simply not be with us at all, 10-12 years from now.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: The Coming Technological Stagnation.......

Post by monster_gardener »

Ammianus wrote:...starts now.

As the process nodes shrink, it takes longer and longer for the cost-per-transistor to fall below the previous generation. At 20nm, the gains all-but vanish. Want to know why Nvidia rearchitected Fermi with a new emphasis on efficiency and performance/watt? You’re looking at the reason. If per-transistor costs remain constant, the only way to improve your cost structure is to make better use of the transistors you’ve got.
What this slide states — we can’t even call it a suggestion — is that smaller processes no longer improve yields by leading to a greater number of chips per wafer. Instead, the complexities and difficulties of manufacturing at the new process create a cost structure that provides precious little incentive to manufacture at the new process.

If openly criticizing a foundry partner is unusual, showing data that suggests that your foundry partner can’t provide a cost-effective strategy for building hardware at next-generation process nodes is… a few steps past that point. The recent launch of the GTX 680, and that card’s trifecta of price/performance/power-efficiency actually strengthens the impact of this data. NV would’ve had a good idea how the GK104 was shaping up when it spoke at ITPC in November; this isn’t a case where a company is angry about the performance of a particular part and looking for someone to blame.

The chief executive officer of Advanced Micro Devices said at a conference that advantages brought by the next-generation process technologies will get less noticeable than previously. As a result, AMD will need to transit to new technologies more wisely than before and attempt to innovate using proven fabrication processes.

"Now, let's talk about 20nm and 14nm. I think that we really flying hard in the path of subatomic environments. The price advantages as we move down nodes are starting to wane. The ability to [quickly improve] yields and ramp up our products (which have fixed amount of time) is under exceptional pressure. It costs huge amounts of money. I think we have to be strategic and think about how quickly we go down the node," said Rory Read, chief executive officer of AMD, during IT Supply Chain conference organized by Raymond James.Rory Read believes that the market of semiconductors will need to change drastically from what it is today. Even though AMD will inevitably adopt both 20nm and 14nm fabrication processes in the coming years, it will change its adoption approach and expects companies like Globalfoundries to change their pricing models so to make transitions to thinner processes viable for fabless designer of chips.

"Just go look at the cost of wafers as you move down those technologies, they are not going down, they are going up! If the yield does not go up, how do you get your return? You have to charge bigger prices. We will get there, we will move down [but ultimately there got to be different pricing model]," said the chief executive officer of AMD.
This phenomenon is not only limited only to AMD and Nvidia, but also TSMC, Globalfoundries, and Intel. And where the CPU/GPU trends go, so go the rest of technology. Ascension on their end lifts all boats in the tide. Stagnation or descension, on the other hand....

We have only started to explore graphene technology, while quantum computing is just beginning to be actively researched. Neither of them are remotely ready for the primetime.

Then you have labor costs in China. AKA rising and becoming ever so uncertain and unstable.

Take a good look around your daily tech, close your eyes, and remember them. They'll be virtually unchanged in the next 15-20 years. And if some incremental advanced parts happens to come along, be prepared to pay an arm, leg, and other sundry body parts for it. And the market won't be able to take that, at all

I think it's very, very likely all the big tech firms we're so familiar with like Intel, AMD, Microsoft, etc., a good number of them will simply not be with us at all, 10-12 years from now.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Ammianus.

Interesting.............

Sounds a little like the opposite of the "Technological Singularity"

Would be interested in hearing more.........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Re: The Coming Technological Stagnation.......

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:...starts now.

The problems of going to every smaller fab dimensions are well known.

One of the reasons Intel has been developing and promoting multicore CPUs, despite the associated parallel programming challenges, for some time now.

There are other significant bottlenecks that also need to be addressed such as memory access, heat generation, and power consumption - the latter two especially with regards to phones and tablets - the current and probable future growth market.

I"m a bit skeptical of no-go predictions, rather I expect technology to evolve in different and possibly new directions.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.