Astronomy and Space

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by Doc »

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-breakthrou ... -star.html
Breakthrough Listen to search for intelligent life around weird star
October 26, 2016 by Robert Sanders

Tabby's star has provoked so much excitement over the past year, with speculation that it hosts a highly advanced civilization capable of building orbiting megastructures to capture the star's energy, that UC Berkeley's Breakthrough Listen project is devoting hours of time on the Green Bank radio telescope to see if it can detect any signals from intelligent extraterrestrials.
If anyone gets in proximity of Green Bank it is worth stopping to see the radio telescope there as it is the largest moving land based object in the world. Think of a moving football stadium.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote:http://phys.org/news/2016-10-breakthrou ... -star.html

Tabby's star has provoked so much excitement over the past year, with speculation that it hosts a highly advanced civilization capable of building orbiting megastructures to capture the star's energy, that UC Berkeley's Breakthrough Listen project is devoting hours of time on the Green Bank radio telescope to see if it can detect any signals from intelligent extraterrestrials.
If anyone gets in proximity of Green Bank it is worth stopping to see the radio telescope there as it is the largest moving land based object in the world. Think of a moving football stadium.
There you go. Moving the goalposts again. :lol:
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simply Wrong vs Simple
Paul Steinhardt gave a colloquium at Fermilab last month with the title Simply Wrong vs. Simple. In it he explained “why the big bang inflationary picture fails as a scientific theory” (it doesn’t work as promised, is not self-consistent and not falsifiable). This is a complicated topic, but Steinhardt is an expert and one of the originators of the theory, so if you want to understand the problems of some common arguments for inflation, watching this talk is highly recommended. Steinhardt’s talk was part of a Fermilab workshop, Simplicity II.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Doc wrote:http://phys.org/news/2016-10-breakthrou ... -star.html

There you go. Moving the goalposts again. :lol:
:D
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

apparently the recorded output of this EM drive is within the error margins of the sensor equipment so its not very exciting just yet.

EM is like room temperature cold fusion, it requires new physics :)
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

noddy wrote:.

apparently the recorded output of this EM drive is within the error margins of the sensor equipment so its not very exciting just yet.

noddy , what you doin ? you in farm in rural Australia ?

You don't sound so commenting on this :lol:

noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:

noddy , what you doin ? you in farm in rural Australia ?

You don't sound so commenting on this :lol:

i see you have internet back in your madrasa
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

.. see you have internet back in your madrasa

:lol: :lol: .. that was a good one

noddy, in case you not aware .. CEO of Microsoft and CEO of Google, both Hindustani, those folks with turban, graduate of CalCaTa Institute of Technology :D

noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy, in case you not aware .. CEO of Microsoft and CEO of Google, both Hindustani, those folks with turban, graduate of CalCaTa Institute of Technology :D

hindus's are not the same thing as muslims :) i know all brown folk look the same to you but you should learn to tell the magor groups apart, its not that difficult.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote:

hindus's are not the same thing as muslims :) i know all brown folk look the same to you but you should learn to tell the magor groups apart, its not that difficult.

Muslim is a religion and not a people

and

If Persian (Muslim) mathematicians and scientist were not, you were now counting with your finger
In the 12th century, Latin translations of his work on the Indian numerals introduced the decimal positional number system to the Western world. Al-Khwārizmī's The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing presented the first systematic solution of linear and quadratic equations in Arabic. He is often considered one of the fathers of algebra. He revised Ptolemy's Geography and wrote on astronomy and astrology.

Algorism and algorithm stem from Algoritmi, the Latin form of his name
Don't underestimate Muslims, Science you know today comes from Persian Muslim scientist, when at the time Christians were in Woodoo Alchemy trying to make Gold out of brick

Every science you put a finger on, Pomegranates started and advanced it .. still now Persian Avicenna medical books are thought in western medical schools.

When Christians beating at Galileo arguing world is flat Persian Muslim Astronomers calculated the most exact calendar and movement of the planets.

You first educate yourself than try to belittle Muslim science, before ridiculing yourself not knowing what you taking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomy ... amic_world

noddy

Post by noddy »

surreal.

you used too many big words, this dumb farmer is going to have to withdraw.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

surreal.

you used too many big words, this dumb farmer is going to have to withdraw.

Come on, noddy, was just jokin

noddy

eleventy bazillion.

Post by noddy »

http://en.mirajnews.com/2017/01/nasa-to ... metal.html
Made up of mostly nickel and iron, the giant hunk of space metal is about three times further away from the Sun than Earth.

Enticingly, the mission’s lead scientist has put a price tag of $10,000 quadrillion on the asteroid, known as “16 Psyche.”

But NASA isn’t there to pad it’s budget for the fiscal year. Instead, it will study the possibility of Psyche being a “protoplanet,” or the exposed core of an early planet.

Scientists believe Psyche may have once been a planet the size of Mars, but after a number of massive collisions, its outer layers were stripped away, leaving only the metal asteroid we know it as today.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

hBx5syeBmUY
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nasa-wants-p ... 57525.html
NASA wants to probe Uranus in search of gas
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

its all lies - my area didnt eclipse and i cant replicate it in my kitchen.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

noddy wrote:its all lies - my area didnt eclipse and i cant replicate it in my kitchen.
Hehe same here. Fake news.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You can replicate it in your kitchen.

I'm glad I got to see it, it was neat. 2nd one, 1st I was a youngster.
Censorship isn't necessary