Astronomy and Space

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Simple Minded

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
noddy wrote:its all lies - my area didnt eclipse and i cant replicate it in my kitchen.
Hehe same here. Fake news.
Yep. Impossible to prove it ever even happened.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:You can replicate it in your kitchen.

I'm glad I got to see it, it was neat. 2nd one, 1st I was a youngster.
You must have a very big kitchen.

I remember the earlier one also.....
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Doesn't take much room at all.

r6flhCg5eZ4
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Doesn't take much room at all.

r6flhCg5eZ4
Huh? That's not exactly how I pictured God...... but proof is proof!

Still a really, really big kitchen! ;)

I once replicated Evolution in my refrigerator by leaving some bread in there too long.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

im not seeing a huge ball of fusion created plasma bending space and trapping planets in orbitals.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:im not seeing a huge ball of fusion created plasma bending space and trapping planets in orbitals.
That's the problem with you people, even when presented with absolute proof, a video on the internet of God manipulating the cosmos, you still cling to your present mode of thinking that got you to this point in life. If you don't change your thinking, how do you hope to... evolve?

I think the disease is called "heathenous Bastage-itis." ;)

take a leap of faith Bro. Trust me! :P
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote:im not seeing a huge ball of fusion created plasma bending space and trapping planets in orbitals.
Just look into the sky.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.sciencealert.com/astronomer ... ble-matter

Astronomers Have Finally Found Most of The Universe's Missing Visible Matter

Whoa.
MIKE MCRAE
10 OCT 2017
3liqQa1w2B0
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:https://www.sciencealert.com/astronomer ... ble-matter

Astronomers Have Finally Found Most of The Universe's Missing Visible Matter

Whoa.
MIKE MCRAE
10 OCT 2017
3liqQa1w2B0
The missing expected visible matter but the missing dark matter issue remains.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Without comment:

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/scie ... rse-exists
Our universe should not exist, CERN antimatter study

A new cutting edge experiment reveals the vast depths of human ignorance about the cosmos. Why didn't antimatter and matter annihilate each other after the Big Bang?

One of the deepest and most enduring mysteries in the study of the universe is why anything exists at all.

It really shouldn’t, not according to the best current physics. What really should exist is nothing but a flash of light. And yet, just look around. There is stuff everywhere. Physicists do not understand why, and after a major new discovery out of Europe’s nuclear research program, they are still in the dark.

The key to this mystery is antimatter. Antimatter is just as it sounds, the opposite of matter. Matter is made of different kinds of particles, like the proton, antimatter of corresponding kinds of antiparticles, like the antiproton. They have the same mass, but opposite charge, and if they meet, they annihilate each other, converting their mass into pure energy according to Einstein’s famous equation E=MC2.

Matter and antimatter are kind of like identical twins of the opposite sex, similar but opposite, says Makoto Fujiwara, a leading researcher at TRIUMF, Canada’s national laboratory for particle physics in Vancouver, who runs experiments at CERN in Geneva to create, detect, control, and trap antimatter.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

So a group of bros who have formulas that contradict existence itself, who profess openly that they have no understanding of over 90% of the universe supposedly know how it started 14 billion years ago even though they can't answer basic questions about it and the hypothesis rests on things that are unobservable and likely impossible.

Riiiigggghhtt. I will take a Hindu cow god any day.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Without comment:

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/scie ... rse-exists
Our universe should not exist, CERN antimatter study

A new cutting edge experiment reveals the vast depths of human ignorance about the cosmos. Why didn't antimatter and matter annihilate each other after the Big Bang?

One of the deepest and most enduring mysteries in the study of the universe is why anything exists at all.

It really shouldn’t, not according to the best current physics. What really should exist is nothing but a flash of light. And yet, just look around. There is stuff everywhere. Physicists do not understand why, and after a major new discovery out of Europe’s nuclear research program, they are still in the dark.

The key to this mystery is antimatter. Antimatter is just as it sounds, the opposite of matter. Matter is made of different kinds of particles, like the proton, antimatter of corresponding kinds of antiparticles, like the antiproton. They have the same mass, but opposite charge, and if they meet, they annihilate each other, converting their mass into pure energy according to Einstein’s famous equation E=MC2.

Matter and antimatter are kind of like identical twins of the opposite sex, similar but opposite, says Makoto Fujiwara, a leading researcher at TRIUMF, Canada’s national laboratory for particle physics in Vancouver, who runs experiments at CERN in Geneva to create, detect, control, and trap antimatter.
The problem with reporters reporting on physics in the general media is that they are wholly clueless about physics and
invariably get it wrong and often sensationalize for the sake of clicks.

The actual paper

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature24048

reports a measurement of the antiproton magnetic moment finding it to be the same as that of the proton to within a few parts per billion
which is in agreement with what is currently held to be a fundamental property of nature: CPT symmetry.
A technical tour de force experiment, but the result is not unexpected. It has further constrained and excluded some theories that predict CPT violating effects.
Finding a difference would have been the first great unexpected physics discovery of the 21st century.

The baryon matter - antimatter asymmetry puzzle, why there are not equal amounts of matter and antimatter observed in the universe today, is entirely another issue. Physicist have been aware of this issue since the discovery of the antiproton. Unlike dogma, which claims to have all the answers, it is still an open question and an area of active research.

For accurate physics and math reporting, suggest the following sites:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/

https://physics.aps.org/
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

So what's your scientific explanation for why there is more matter than antimatter. Please call up CERN because they have no earthly idea. Literally.

Also specifically what did the article get wrong.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:So what's your scientific explanation for why there is more matter than antimatter. Please call up CERN because they have no earthly idea. Literally.
Currently no one knows.
Again, science is not dogma, it does not claim to have the answers to everything.

If you bother to read the Wikiped link above you will learn about various proposed theories.

It will be up to future experiments to test these theories and for theorist to come up with new testable hypotheses when some or all candidate theories are excluded.
That's how science progresses.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:So a group of bros who have formulas that contradict existence itself, who profess openly that they have no understanding of over 90% of the universe supposedly know how it started 14 billion years ago even though they can't answer basic questions about it and the hypothesis rests on things that are unobservable and likely impossible.

Riiiigggghhtt. I will take a Hindu cow god any day.
As you seem to need an immediate answer for every question, regardless of whether the answer is right or invariably not even wrong,
finding some dogma that suits you, such as Hinduism, and running with it is probably a good idea.

Scientists have a different view
You see, one thing is, I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing.
I think it’s much more interesting to live, not knowing, than to have answers which might be wrong.

~ R. P Feynman
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Is antimatter a system where protons orbit electron?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Is antimatter a system where protons orbit electron?
Antimatter, in the form of an antihydrogen atom consists of a antiproton nucleus orbited by an antielectron [positron].

A hydrogen atom is a proton nucleus orbited by an electron.

The experiments at CERN where antiprotons are created, cooled [slowed down], then combined with positrons to form antihydrogen and
trapped long enough that precision measurements can be made are a technical tour de force.

Unlike the proton, the antiproton has a opposite negative electric charge. Similarly, unlike the election, the positron has positive electric charge.

A positron and electron annihilate upon encounter yielding two photons being emitted in opposite directions, by conservation of energy-momentum, each with an energy equal to the rest mass of the electron and positron.

E = mc^2 in action.

This also has great practical application as it is what a PET scanner detects.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

If our universe is not a closed system and the answer to the question of dark matter is to be found in the energy contained in the vacuum (quantum field fluctuations), all you need is the cosmological constant to tell you what is missing.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... bSwFU6tY1c

this landing still looks like voodoo, amazing stuff.

wbSwFU6tY1c
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

yeah, that landing was really cool
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:What is with the censorship. What is there to be afraid of.
Nothing.
However, if you want to repeatedly post your uninformed misunderstandings over and over again, then please use the appropriate section in Tea Time.
No interest in having the Physics thread filled with crackpot stuff. If you post crackpot stuff in the Physics + Astronomy section, it will either be moved or deleted, depending on this mod's available time.

Or raise your game and spend some time and effort to understand what you're going on about.

Here's the the threshold. The SM, SR, and GR have been repeatedly tested experimentally and have passed all tests at the 5 sigma level or better.
Your personal disapproval is not sufficient.