Astronomy and Space

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: The Universe's First Light

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:To those who care for these things.

52aYB7PELYI
If the result holds up to further scrutiny, then it will remarkable.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

That stream didn't work.. another one, don't know if it is the same:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-iss-stream
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Am sure THIS will make Monster happy

Seven Iranians have successfully passed 'medical health' phase of Mars One project, and entered the next phase, and have been enlisted in 705 volunteers of one-way Mars One project.

The initial mission plan included:

2013: The first 40 astronauts were to have been selected; a replica of the settlement was planned to be built for training purposes.
2014: The first communication satellite was to have been produced.
2016: A supply mission would launch with 2500 kilograms of food in a modified SpaceX Dragon.
2018: An exploration vehicle would launch to pick the location of the settlement.
2021: Six additional Dragon capsules and another rover would launch with two living units, two life support units and two supply znits.
2022: A SpaceX Falcon Heavy would launch with the first group of four colonists.
2023: The first colonists were to arrive on Mars in a modified Dragon capsule.
2025: A second group of four colonists slated to arrive.
2033: The colony projected to reach 20 settlers.

:lol:

Monster, relaaax, soon you might not need Putin to hitchack for space .. Iran will take you to Maaaaaaaaaaars

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

An Iranian colony on Mars. The Ayatollahs must realize they really need a high colonic.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Ok, thanks. Yes I noticed. Saw some awesome live footage of our blue dot.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

SY0bKE10ZDM
Scientists at MIT have traced 13 billion years of galaxy evolution, from shortly after the Big Bang to the present day. Their simulation, named Illustris, captures both the massive scale of the Universe and the intriguing variety of galaxies -- something previous modelers have struggled to do. It produces a Universe that looks remarkably similar to what we see through our telescopes, giving us greater confidence in our understanding of the Universe, from the laws of physics to our theories about galaxy formation.
Endovelico

Chelyabinsk meteor

Post by Endovelico »

Remarkable pictures of a large piece of the Chelyabinsk meteor.

http://rt.com/news/160912-chelyabinsk-m ... gin-study/
Parodite

Re: Chelyabinsk meteor

Post by Parodite »

Endovelico wrote:Remarkable pictures of a large piece of the Chelyabinsk meteor.

http://rt.com/news/160912-chelyabinsk-m ... gin-study/
Looks like a 3-D printed brain scan of Putin to me.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

But there is no shortage of others from the modern era. “A very common flaw of astronomers is to believe that they know the truth even when data is scarce,” says Loeb.
Could apply to Global warming enthusiasts as well...
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
But there is no shortage of others from the modern era. “A very common flaw of astronomers is to believe that they know the truth even when data is scarce,” says Loeb.
Could apply to Global warming enthusiasts as well...
At least astronomy is a science that tries to operate according to the scientific method . . .
Endovelico

Spacex Dragon V2

Post by Endovelico »

Cf_-g3UWQ04

2c4Wvgn9_CU

Cool!!!...
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Hubble time lapse of a nova

U1fvMSs9cps
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://news.discovery.com/space/dark-ma ... 140617.htm
Dark Matter Mystery Deepens
Jun 17, 2014 06:00 PM ET // by Irene Klotz

New results from the particle detector attached outside the International Space Station show something else beside ordinary matter is generating cosmic rays, the lead researcher said Tuesday.

More cosmic ray detections are needed before scientists will know for sure if they're seeing telltale fingerprints of dark matter colliding or if they've found particles generated by highly magnetized, rotating neutron stars known as pulsars.

“We know something new has happened, but we still do not know the origin,” Massachusetts Institute of Technology physicist Sam Ting, lead researcher of the 600-member Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer science team, said at a space station research conference in Chicago.

“In a short time, we’ll really be able to resolve the mystery,” he said.

Unlike visible or ordinary matter, dark matter cannot be directly detected by electromagnetic radiation. Yet scientists believe its gravity is responsible for keeping the galaxy -- and the universe for that matter -- together.

Dark matter and its even stranger, anti-gravity cousin, dark energy, which is credited with speeding up the universe’s expansion, comprise about 95 percent of the known universe.
PHOTOS: Hubble’s Latest Mind Blowing Cosmic Pictures

Since being installed on the station in May 2011, the AMS particle detector has logged 50 billion cosmic ray hits and relayed information about their energy, direction and contents to physicists for analysis.

Of particular interest is how many positrons -- the antimatter counterpart to electrons -- are detected relative to the overall number of positrons and electrons. Last year, the AMS team reported a proportionally higher number of positrons, though there was not enough data yet to see if the ratios reconciled at higher energy levels, a possible sign of dark-matter collisions.

“The rate of the increase and where you cut off depends on the mass of dark matter,” Ting said.

The new data show the ratio of positrons to the total population of electrons plus positrons has “changed its behavior from increasing, to becoming energy independent,” Ting wrote in an email to Discovery News.
BLOG: Dark Matter Matters, Especially When You Can’t Find It

“This increase indicates it cannot come from ordinary cosmic ray collisions,” Ting said.

“We have also measured the positron flux accurately,” he added. The flux increases up to 10 billion electron volts of energy, flattens out at up to 35 billion electron volts and then increases again," Ting said.

“These two behaviors show that the origin of positrons in the cosmos is quite mysterious,” he added. "It is too early to say they are definitely from dark matter."
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

‘Impossible’ space drive tested by NASA foretells future of deep-space travel
August 01, 2014 08:35

NASA has conducted long-awaited experiments to prove that the fabled space drive, capable of generating its own thrust and breaking a fundamental law of physics, works. If the find survives fresh scrutiny, space ship construction will be revolutionized.

The drive’s creator, British scientist Roger Shawyer, has been facing criticism since his 2006 claims, based on the premise that thrust can be created without huge thrusters, instead using electricity to direct microwaves inside a special container.

Shawyer’s company, SPR Ltd., writes that it has “demonstrated a remarkable new space propulsion technology. [It] has successfully tested both an experimental thruster and a demonstrator engine which use patented microwave technology to convert electrical energy directly into thrust. No propellant is used in the conversion process. Thrust is produced by the amplification of the radiation pressure of an electromagnetic wave propagated through a resonant waveguide assembly.”

In short, if the results hold up, humanity can say goodbye to huge energy consumption costs associated with space travel, and say hello to deep-space missions and distant world exploration at a fraction of the cost and at 100 times the speed.

But since its inception, the revolutionary drive had appeared to be impossible because it breaks the laws of the conservation of momentum. Put simply, acceleration in any rocket engine is achieved by a large amount of fuel bursting out of the thrusters and pushing the vessel forward. The drive promises to change this forever by creating its own momentum.

An independent, peer-reviewed Chinese team was the first to try and replicated the results, and confirmed that their own EmDrive worked in papers published on three occasions between 2008 and 2012. But the skepticism didn’t end there. So, to test the technology on different soil, NASA was brought in.

This was needed to reassure the scientific community that past results in which the apparent violations of the laws of physics were side effect of interference from the actual device, which messed with the measuring equipment.

Five of the space agency’s researchers set about to replicate the so-called EmDrive with another one they called the Cannae Drive, after they were convinced to put it to the test by its creator, American scientist Guido Fetta. The results were presented on July 30 at the 50th Joint Propulsion Conference.

With its paper, entitled ‘Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF [radio frequency] Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum’, the scientists describe the work carried out over six days, as they set up the equipment, and the two days spent achieving results.

To do this, they created a ‘null drive’ – a replica of the real drive, but built in a way that would make it unusable. Another device was then built to simulate the load on the engine.

Although the new results produced much less micronewtons (30-50) than the Chinese tests, NASA finally had its confirmation.

"Test results indicate that the RF resonant cavity thruster design, which is unique as an electric propulsion device, is producing a force that is not attributable to any classical electromagnetic phenomenon and therefore is potentially demonstrating an interaction with the quantum vacuum virtual plasma," the space agency states in the paper.

The one thing the paper does not wish to do is explain how the drive works, instead offering quantifiable results and the procedures used to achieve them.

However, given that we now have several tests all confirming that thrust can be generated out of thin air, a radically different future awaits humanity. In it, the immense costs of satellites, space ships and stations could be reduced to a mere fraction of what was previously thought. This should open the world up to exciting deep-space missions and enable us to survive a virtual lifetime in space.

Even more amazing, new propulsion technology based on the EmDrive should take space travel to amazing speeds, enabling humanity to reach distant worlds much more quickly.

http://rt.com/usa/177204-nasa-space-drive-emdrive/
Could this be for real?...

Also see this:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... old-fusion

http://www.dvice.com/2013-2-8/china-cla ... ity-engine
Doc

Post by Doc »

Endovelico wrote:

NASA has conducted long-awaited experiments to prove that the fabled space drive, capable of generating its own thrust and breaking a fundamental law of physics, works. If the find survives fresh scrutiny, space ship construction will be revolutionized.

The drive’s creator, British scientist Roger Shawyer, has been facing criticism since his 2006 claims, based on the premise that thrust can be created without huge thrusters, instead using electricity to direct microwaves inside a special container.

Shawyer’s company, SPR Ltd., writes that it has “demonstrated a remarkable new space propulsion technology. [It] has successfully tested both an experimental thruster and a demonstrator engine which use patented microwave technology to convert electrical energy directly into thrust. No propellant is used in the conversion process. Thrust is produced by the amplification of the radiation pressure of an electromagnetic wave propagated through a resonant waveguide assembly.”

In short, if the results hold up, humanity can say goodbye to huge energy consumption costs associated with space travel, and say hello to deep-space missions and distant world exploration at a fraction of the cost and at 100 times the speed.

But since its inception, the revolutionary drive had appeared to be impossible because it breaks the laws of the conservation of momentum. Put simply, acceleration in any rocket engine is achieved by a large amount of fuel bursting out of the thrusters and pushing the vessel forward. The drive promises to change this forever by creating its own momentum.

An independent, peer-reviewed Chinese team was the first to try and replicated the results, and confirmed that their own EmDrive worked in papers published on three occasions between 2008 and 2012. But the skepticism didn’t end there. So, to test the technology on different soil, NASA was brought in.

This was needed to reassure the scientific community that past results in which the apparent violations of the laws of physics were side effect of interference from the actual device, which messed with the measuring equipment.

Five of the space agency’s researchers set about to replicate the so-called EmDrive with another one they called the Cannae Drive, after they were convinced to put it to the test by its creator, American scientist Guido Fetta. The results were presented on July 30 at the 50th Joint Propulsion Conference.

With its paper, entitled ‘Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF [radio frequency] Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum’, the scientists describe the work carried out over six days, as they set up the equipment, and the two days spent achieving results.

To do this, they created a ‘null drive’ – a replica of the real drive, but built in a way that would make it unusable. Another device was then built to simulate the load on the engine.

Although the new results produced much less micronewtons (30-50) than the Chinese tests, NASA finally had its confirmation.

"Test results indicate that the RF resonant cavity thruster design, which is unique as an electric propulsion device, is producing a force that is not attributable to any classical electromagnetic phenomenon and therefore is potentially demonstrating an interaction with the quantum vacuum virtual plasma," the space agency states in the paper.

The one thing the paper does not wish to do is explain how the drive works, instead offering quantifiable results and the procedures used to achieve them.

However, given that we now have several tests all confirming that thrust can be generated out of thin air, a radically different future awaits humanity. In it, the immense costs of satellites, space ships and stations could be reduced to a mere fraction of what was previously thought. This should open the world up to exciting deep-space missions and enable us to survive a virtual lifetime in space.

Even more amazing, new propulsion technology based on the EmDrive should take space travel to amazing speeds, enabling humanity to reach distant worlds much more quickly.

Also see this:

http://emdrive.com/faq.html
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

DrPhil Plait on EMdrive:Caution:Very Likely Experiment Error

Post by monster_gardener »

Endovelico wrote:

Also see this:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH For your post, Endovelico.

I REALLY Seriously don't want to be the bearer of bad news on something like this but....

Dr. Phil Plait at BAD ;) Astronomy and friends are pretty skeptical about this.... :(
The ‘Net has been buzzing about a paper published by a team of engineers at NASA claiming that they have built a device that creates thrust without propellant. There have been lots of articles written about it, it’s spawned a zillion tweets, and I’m getting plenty of email asking me about it.

Here’s the thing: I'm not convinced. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but I am saying it’s very, very likely to be some sort of measurement or experimental error.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... dence.html
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Doc

Re: DrPhil Plait on EMdrive:Caution:Very Likely Experiment E

Post by Doc »

monster_gardener wrote:
Endovelico wrote:

Also see this:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH For your post, Endovelico.

I REALLY Seriously don't want to be the bearer of bad news on something like this but....

Dr. Phil Plait at BAD ;) Astronomy and friends are pretty skeptical about this.... :(
The ‘Net has been buzzing about a paper published by a team of engineers at NASA claiming that they have built a device that creates thrust without propellant. There have been lots of articles written about it, it’s spawned a zillion tweets, and I’m getting plenty of email asking me about it.

Here’s the thing: I'm not convinced. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but I am saying it’s very, very likely to be some sort of measurement or experimental error.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... dence.html
The thing that bothers me about it is that those doing the tests at NASA say they built two motors one to produce thrust and another That was designed not to produce thrust as a comparison... They Both produced thrust... Meaning they don't really understand what they are doing. No one can explain how it works So why did Shawyer form a company to build something that he nor anyone understands?

It would be great if Shawyer has come up with a way to create thrust directly from electricity, but it does not sound so plausible.

Update:
CalTech physicist Sean Carroll, who, earlier this week, equated the notion of "propulsive momentum transfer via the quantum vacuum virtual plasma" to "nonsensical sub-Star-Trek level technobabble," had more to add, telling io9:

The business about "quantum vacuum virtual plasma" (the physics of which they "won't address" in this paper) is complete bullshit. There is a quantum vacuum, but it's nothing like a plasma. [The researchers] hook up a gizmo with all sorts of electromagnetic fields fluctuating around, then claim to measure an extremely tiny thrust (about the weight of a single grain of sand), which occurs even for the test article that wasn't supposed to produce any thrust at all.

Carroll's final point – that the researchers measured thrust not only when the drive was configured to produce it, but also when set up to do nothing at all – may be the most important takeaway of all. It's a point Mika McKinnon expands upon in her explanation below.
More:

http://space.io9.com/a-new-thruster-pus ... rtgonzalez
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

2dAHGvmT6v8
Heracleum Persicum

India's low-cost space mission reaches Mars orbit

“History has been created today,” said Indian prime minister Narendra Modi. “We have dared to reach out into the unknown and have achieved the near-impossible. I congratulate all ISRO scientists as well as all my fellow Indians on this historic occasion.”

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

India's low-cost space mission reaches Mars orbit

“History has been created today,” said Indian prime minister Narendra Modi. “We have dared to reach out into the unknown and have achieved the near-impossible. I congratulate all ISRO scientists as well as all my fellow Indians on this historic occasion.”

My guess is this a proof of competency project and we will see India bidding on more space related contracts.

Either that or Mars has huge secret patchouli reserves.

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

NYT : India Sends Orbiter to Mars, On a Shoestring

NEW DELHI — An Indian spacecraft affectionately nicknamed MOM reached Mars orbit on Wednesday, beating India’s Asian rivals to the Red Planet and outdoing the Americans, the Soviets and the Europeans in doing so on a maiden voyage and a shoestring budget.

An ebullient Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on hand at the Indian Space Research Organization’s command center in Bangalore for the early-morning event and hailed it “as a shining symbol of what we are capable of as a nation.”

“The odds were stacked against us,” Mr. Modi, wearing a red Nehru vest, said in a televised news conference. “When you are trying to do something that has not been attempted before, it is a leap into the unknown. And space is indeed the biggest unknown out there.”

Children across India were asked to come to school by 6:45 a.m. Wednesday, well before the usual starting time, to watch the historic event on state television.

The Mars Orbiter Mission, or MOM, was intended mostly to prove that India could succeed in such a highly technical endeavor — and to beat China. As Mr. Modi and others have noted, India’s trip to Mars, at a price of $74 million, cost less than the Hollywood movie “Gravity.” NASA’s almost simultaneous — and far more complex — mission to Mars cost $671 million.

:lol: :lol:

$ 74 million cost India to go to Mars

Well, folks , that a sign of things coming .. America must become competitive with India .. no reason whatsoever an American
NASA engineer making $ 150K a yr when same engineer making $ 15K a yr in India .. 1:10 wage disparity correlates with $74:$671 cost of mars mission for India/USA

Sobering situation, Doc, Monster

Let's see what our in-house scientist says, CS you have the mike :lol:

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

NYT : India Sends Orbiter to Mars, On a Shoestring

NEW DELHI — An Indian spacecraft affectionately nicknamed MOM reached Mars orbit on Wednesday, beating India’s Asian rivals to the Red Planet and outdoing the Americans, the Soviets and the Europeans in doing so on a maiden voyage and a shoestring budget.

An ebullient Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on hand at the Indian Space Research Organization’s command center in Bangalore for the early-morning event and hailed it “as a shining symbol of what we are capable of as a nation.”

“The odds were stacked against us,” Mr. Modi, wearing a red Nehru vest, said in a televised news conference. “When you are trying to do something that has not been attempted before, it is a leap into the unknown. And space is indeed the biggest unknown out there.”

Children across India were asked to come to school by 6:45 a.m. Wednesday, well before the usual starting time, to watch the historic event on state television.

The Mars Orbiter Mission, or MOM, was intended mostly to prove that India could succeed in such a highly technical endeavor — and to beat China. As Mr. Modi and others have noted, India’s trip to Mars, at a price of $74 million, cost less than the Hollywood movie “Gravity.” NASA’s almost simultaneous — and far more complex — mission to Mars cost $671 million.

:lol: :lol:

$ 74 million cost India to go to Mars

Well, folks , that a sign of things coming .. America must become competitive with India .. no reason whatsoever an American
NASA engineer making $ 150K a yr when same engineer making $ 15K a yr in India .. 1:10 wage disparity correlates with $74:$671 cost of mars mission for India/USA

Sobering situation, Doc, Monster

Let's see what our in-house scientist says, CS you have the mike :lol:

Why should this be a sobering situation for the US AZ? I think it is great. Getting to Mars is really hard. Now of course the Chinese might be upset by all of this. :lol: