Astronomy and Space

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by Typhoon »

Sparky wrote:Congratulations, NASA for sending a great big genuflecting remote control car to Mars. With lasers. How they managed to pull off this Heath Robinson* scheme is quite incredible:
After the parachute has significantly slowed the vehicle and the heatshield (that has protected the rover during entry) separates, the descent stage will separate from the backshell. Using four steerable engines, the descent stage will slow the nested rover down even further to eliminate the effects of any horizontal winds. When the vehicle has been slowed to nearly zero velocity, the rover will be released from the descent stage. A bridle and "umbilical cord" will lower the rover to the ground. During the lowering, the rover's front mobility system will be deployed so that it is essentially ready to rove upon landing. When the on-board computer senses that touchdown is successful, it will cut the bridle. The descent stage then pitches away from the rover and powers away at full throttle to a crash-landing far from Mars Science Laboratory.
*Rube Goldberg to our Yanqui cousins
Congratulations, indeed.

Ki_Af_o9Q9s

A technological tour de force.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:
Sparky wrote:Congratulations, NASA for sending a great big genuflecting remote control car to Mars. With lasers. How they managed to pull off this Heath Robinson* scheme is quite incredible:
After the parachute has significantly slowed the vehicle and the heatshield (that has protected the rover during entry) separates, the descent stage will separate from the backshell. Using four steerable engines, the descent stage will slow the nested rover down even further to eliminate the effects of any horizontal winds. When the vehicle has been slowed to nearly zero velocity, the rover will be released from the descent stage. A bridle and "umbilical cord" will lower the rover to the ground. During the lowering, the rover's front mobility system will be deployed so that it is essentially ready to rove upon landing. When the on-board computer senses that touchdown is successful, it will cut the bridle. The descent stage then pitches away from the rover and powers away at full throttle to a crash-landing far from Mars Science Laboratory.
Congratulations, indeed.
Not everyone is pleased
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Congratulations, indeed.
Not everyone is pleased
Have to wonder how much of this is manufactured.

On the other hand, nothing like a tight funding situation to bring out the best in people.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Congratulations, indeed.

Ki_Af_o9Q9s

A technological tour de force.

NASA | Curiosity Rover Caught in the Act of Landing
PASADENA, Calif. – An image from the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance orbiter captured the Curiosity rover still connected to its 51-foot-wide (almost 16 meter) parachute as it descended towards its landing site at Gale Crater.

"If HiRISE took the image one second before or one second after, we probably would be looking at an empty Martian landscape," said Sarah Milkovich, HiRISE investigation scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "When you consider that we have been working on this sequence since March and had to upload commands to the spacecraft about 72 hours prior to the image being taken, you begin to realize how challenging this picture was to obtain."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Congrats to NASA! This is too cool.

Will it effect the election? Could the October surprise involve the admission of life was/is on Mars?

Will Richard C. Hoagland be vindicated?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Awesome.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... 572476.htm
Universe was 'born in a big chill'

The early universe can be likened to water that froze into ice and cracked as it cooled, say a team of Australian scientists.

James Quach, from the University of Melbourne, and colleagues, calculated how light would be scattered in space by cracks in the universe.

Their results appear in the journal Physical Review D.

"We believe that when the universe cooled, cracks would have formed in space, and these cracks we believe are observable, says Quach, who did the research as part of his PhD.

"We worked out a way that we can test this model."

If proven correct, the predictions could revolutionise the way we view the birth of the universe..
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Kdp5bfcrHME

Neil Armstrong [ 1930 - 2012 ]
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
~ Armstrong family statement
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Uragan

Vulkan-Hercules

What beautiful pieces of equipment! Pity they were never built...
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

The Yuzhnoye Design Bureau of Ukraine, one of the main developers of the Vulcan Hercules and the Urgan, is still in business. They are one of the prime contractors of Sea Launch, and a number of other projects. Energia is involved in Sea Launch as well.

Here's a video of the most recent Sea Launch.
cultivate a white rose
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Conjunction of Venus & the Moon visible tonight before dawn

Post by monster_gardener »

Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Col. Typhoon.

Conjunction of Venus & the Moon visible tonight before dawn

http://stardate.org/nightsky

Last night was good for seeing the Sinus Iridium on the Moon but probably will not be visible tonight..............
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... rvive.html
Let's hope we DON'T find water on Mars: Nasa's mistake installing drill means we may end up contaminating the planet with microbes

When the Curiosity finally extends its drill and bites into the dusty surface of the Red Planet, Nasa scientists will be quietly hoping that the Mars rover will not find ice beneath the surface.

For if it does, it will blow open a scandal that has been 'simmering' inside Nasa for the last year: the fact that the drill bits may well be infected with Earth bacteria - bacteria which could survive on Mars.

The possible contamination occurred six months ago, when engineers peeked inside the drill mechanism without permission in order to attach one more piece.

If the drill touches water, there is every chance the bacteria could live.

This would be a crisis for Nasa: to meddle with the biological make-up of planet which, for all we know so far, may still have native microbes of its own kind.

According to the LA Times, Nasa does not expect to find water - the space agency chose the dry equatorial landing site in Mars' Gale Crater to study the planet's geology, not in a bid to find water or ice.

But, the paper adds: 'If by chance the rover Curiosity does find H2O, a controversy that has simmered at NASA for nearly a year will burst into the open.'

The potential contamination occurred on November 26 last year, after the drill bits had been sterilised and placed in a box, which would not be opened again until a successful touchdown on Mars.

But engineers were worried that a rough landing could damage the drill bits - and opened the box to add one more drill bit and increase their chances of success.

According to the LA Times, the engineers screwed the drill bit directly into the drill - so that if the loading mechanism failed, Curiosity at least had one shot of a successful dig.
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
monster_gardener

Alpha Centauri Bb-Earth sized planet Discovered -Nearest Sta

Thank you VERY Much for the Thread, Typhoon

Alpha Centauri Bb - Earth sized planet Discovered at the Nearest Star System......

A place we might be able to get to within a century using current technology... Orion Nuclear Rocket.........

http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1241/
Alpha Centauri Bb is an extrasolar planet orbiting the K-type star Alpha Centauri B approximately 4.37 light-years from Earth, in the southern constellation of Centaurus.[1] It is the closest exoplanet to Earth ever discovered, and the least massive orbiting a star similar to the Sun.[2]
Characteristics

The planet is not in the habitable zone, orbiting very close to the host star at just 0.04 AU and completing one orbit every 3.236 days.[1] It has a mass of at least 1.13 times that of Earth; only a lower limit is currently known because of lack of knowledge of the planet's orbital inclination.[1] Bb's surface temperature is estimated at least 1200 °C (~1500 K),[3][4] far too hot for liquid water and also above the melting temperatures of many silicate magmas. For comparison, the surface temperature of Venus, the hottest in the solar system, is 462°C (735 K).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri_Bb

This is not habitable but Habitable Planets for Man gives Alpha Centauri B one of the highest probabilities of having a habitable planet ~5%

http://www.amazon.com/Habitable-Planets ... 0444000925
monster_gardener

Orionid Meteor Shower Tonight through Sunday

Thank you Very much for the Thread, Typhoon.

http://dunwoody.patch.com/articles/orio ... n-dunwoody
Earth began passing through a stream of debris from Halley's Comet on Oct. 15, which gives us the benefit of the annual Orionids meteor shower—though you probably won't see much until a bit later.

The shower should be at its peak the night of Saturday, Oct. 20, until just before dawn on Oct. 21. This year, the moon will be setting at approximately midnight, which will keep the sky darkened enough that—barring cloud cover—you should be able to see 15 to 30 meteors per hour, according to Astronomy.com.

This is when and where the website indicates that viewing is best, according to Astronomy.com:

When: Saturday night into early Sunday morning, Oct. 20 and 21, from midnight to 2 a.m.
Where to Look: Before midnight, look halfway up to the east; between midnight and 2 a.m., look overhead; from 2 a.m. to dawn, look halfway up in the west. (The meteors will appear to radiate from Orion.)
Suggestions on Where to Watch: The current weather forecast calls for clear skies so any dark location with a clear view of the sky should work. City parks are closed during those hours.
Bring: Lawn chairs, blankets, sweatshirt, snacks

What makes this shower so cool? First of all, c'mon—it's a show of shooting stars.

Also, though, there's no question about where to look for this one. Meteor showers get their names from the constellations in the sky where they can be spotted. And what's easier to spot than Orion the Hunter?

The stars tend to shoot from Orion's club, pierce Taurus the Bull, the Gemini twins, Leo the Lion and finally, Canis Major, home of Sirius, the brightest star we can see—well, aside from the sun.

There's also something else that's special about this show: With the second-fastest entry velocity of all the annual meteor showers, meteors from the Orionids produce yellow and green colors and occasionally produce an odd fireball.
The Earth passed through the tail of Halley's Comet once........... and a comet fragment hit Siberia about a century ago.......
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Enki

Post by Enki »

Crocus sativus wrote:.

" Why the World Didn't End Yesterday "

QY_Gc1bF8ds

LOL, scientists don't even know what they are debunking. The world ends next Friday duh. ;)
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
monster_gardener

Geminid Meteor Shower tonight: Strange rock comet.

Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Typhoon.

Good opportunity tonight to observe the Geminid Meteor Shower: Not much Moon to interfere.

Link says that meteors are from a strange "rock comet"/Apollo Near Earth asteroid with possibly the tail of a second comet contributing this year.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/ ... r-tonight/

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential ... eor-shower
Prunus persica

Re: Geminid Meteor Shower tonight: Strange rock comet.

Post by Prunus persica »

monster_gardener wrote:.

Not much Moon to interfere.

Good news for Monster

Potentially habitable planet discovered orbiting nearby star similar to our sun

"This discovery is in keeping with our emerging view that virtually every star has planets, and that the galaxy must have many such potentially habitable Earth-sized planets. They are everywhere, even right next door," said a statement from Steve Vogt, of the University of California, Santa Cruz, who is the co-author of the discovery, due to be published by the reputable journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

[..]

"Tau Ceti is one of our nearest cosmic neighbours and so bright that we may be able to study the atmospheres of these planets in the not-too-distant future," James Jenkins, of the Universidad de Chile and the University of Hertfordshire, said in a statement.

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Bacteria from Siberia capable of living on Mars

A group of American-Russian scientists have found several types of bacteria from Siberian permafrost, which can grow in harsh conditions similar to those on Mars. It could potentially mean that Earth microbes can survive on the Red Planet.

Some of the genus Carnobacterium microbes have already been found to exist in cold climates around the world – such as Alaska and in the oxygen-poor waters of Ace Lake in Antarctica.

Researchers from the Department of Microbiology & Cell Science at the University of Florida took samples of bacteria from the sand deposits, on the bank of the Kolyma River in northeastern Siberia.

After extracting the samples from a depth of 12-20 meters where the soil has an average annual temperature of -7 °C, scientists grew bacterial colonies at 28 °C in normal atmospheric conditions.

The bacteria were then tested in Martian conditions – exposed to a lack of oxygen, extremely negative temperatures, and very low pressure – which hinder the growth of most terrestrial microorganisms.

After the 30-day experiment, only six of the 10,000 isolates were able to grow under these conditions.

All of the surviving isolates were members of the genus Carnobacterium- as reported by the scientific quartet of Wayne L. Nicholson, Kirill Krivushin, David Gilichinsky and Andrew C. Schuerger , in the journal "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences."

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

monster_gardener

Tau Cross Thoughts.. Interstellar Cages........

Prunus persica wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:.

Not much Moon to interfere.

Good news for Monster

Potentially habitable planet discovered orbiting nearby star similar to our sun

"This discovery is in keeping with our emerging view that virtually every star has planets, and that the galaxy must have many such potentially habitable Earth-sized planets. They are everywhere, even right next door," said a statement from Steve Vogt, of the University of California, Santa Cruz, who is the co-author of the discovery, due to be published by the reputable journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

[..]

"Tau Ceti is one of our nearest cosmic neighbours and so bright that we may be able to study the atmospheres of these planets in the not-too-distant future," James Jenkins, of the Universidad de Chile and the University of Hertfordshire, said in a statement.

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.

Thanks for the article and link.
Good news for Monster
Let's hope so........

I am a big fan of getting off planet.....

And even of eventual interstellar travel......

We keep searching for life.............

But given the way we are/tend to be........

Depraved Sinful Egotistical Chaos Monkeys........

Less murderous than cats.......

Probably not a good as dogs and dolphins can be..........

Maybe it's better that we haven't found any life yet........

Maybe better that we probably will have to work from sterile scratch to build new habitats in this star system.........

Maybe better that short of AIUI fantasy level tech, traveling to Tau Ceti probably would take many years perhaps centuries one way......

Sometimes I wonder if G_d set up interstellar distances as a way of keeping His/Her pets in separate cages so we don't kill each other.........
monster_gardener

StarQuake..... Effect questions..........

Thank You Very Much for your post, Typhoon.

Scary Stuff..........

Reminds me a bit of Dr. Robert Forward's book Star Quake............

Wonder how it would have affected a manned spacecraft........

Or How deep a habitat on the Moon or Mars would have to be to be safe.......

And what would have happened to solar energy collection apparatus on the surface......

Need to find out........

But I still suspect it can be dealt with.........

And that it probably more dangerous to stay on Earth with fellow Chaos Monkeys........

EDIT: Wondering what happened to the crew on the International Space Station.........

Quick Check.......

The ISS is partially protected from the space environment by the Earth's magnetic field. From an average distance of about 70,000 km, depending on Solar activity, the magnetosphere begins to deflect solar wind around the Earth and ISS. However, solar flares are still a hazard to the crew, who may receive only a few minutes warning. The crew of Expedition 10 took shelter as a precaution in 2005 in a more heavily shielded part of the ROS designed for this purpose during the initial 'proton storm' of an X-3 class solar flare,[241][242] but without the limited protection of the Earth's magnetosphere, interplanetary manned missions are especially vulnerable.

Subatomic charged particles, primarily protons from cosmic rays and solar wind, are normally absorbed by the earth's atmosphere, when they interact in sufficient quantity their effect becomes visible to the naked eye in a phenomenon called an Aurora. Without the protection of the Earth's atmosphere, which absorbs this radiation, crews are exposed to about 1 millisievert each day, which is about the same as someone would get in a year on Earth, from natural sources. This results in a higher risk of astronauts' developing cancer. Radiation can penetrate living tissue, damage DNA, and cause damage to the chromosomes of lymphocytes. These cells are central to the immune system and so any damage to them could contribute to the lowered immunity experienced by astronauts. Radiation has also been linked to a higher incidence of cataracts in astronauts. Protective shielding and protective drugs may lower the risks to an acceptable level.[37]

The radiation levels experienced on ISS are about five times greater than those experienced by airline passengers and crew. The Earth's electromagnetic field provides almost the same level of protection against solar and other radiation in low Earth orbit as in the stratosphere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... #Radiation
Last edited by monster_gardener on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.