Astronomy and Space

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:18 am

User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Doc » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:55 am

Thermo-Nuclear Porn

The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx
User avatar
Doc
 
Posts: 7935
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Simple Minded » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP81Je7APoQ
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6406
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:05 am

User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:24 am

.




.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:13 am

Doc wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.


NYT : India Sends Orbiter to Mars, On a Shoestring


NEW DELHI — An Indian spacecraft affectionately nicknamed MOM reached Mars orbit on Wednesday, beating India’s Asian rivals to the Red Planet and outdoing the Americans, the Soviets and the Europeans in doing so on a maiden voyage and a shoestring budget.

An ebullient Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on hand at the Indian Space Research Organization’s command center in Bangalore for the early-morning event and hailed it “as a shining symbol of what we are capable of as a nation.”

“The odds were stacked against us,” Mr. Modi, wearing a red Nehru vest, said in a televised news conference. “When you are trying to do something that has not been attempted before, it is a leap into the unknown. And space is indeed the biggest unknown out there.”

Children across India were asked to come to school by 6:45 a.m. Wednesday, well before the usual starting time, to watch the historic event on state television.

The Mars Orbiter Mission, or MOM, was intended mostly to prove that India could succeed in such a highly technical endeavor — and to beat China. As Mr. Modi and others have noted, India’s trip to Mars, at a price of $74 million, cost less than the Hollywood movie “Gravity.” NASA’s almost simultaneous — and far more complex — mission to Mars cost $671 million.



:lol: :lol:


$ 74 million cost India to go to Mars

Well, folks , that a sign of things coming .. America must become competitive with India .. no reason whatsoever an American
NASA engineer making $ 150K a yr when same engineer making $ 15K a yr in India .. 1:10 wage disparity correlates with $74:$671 cost of mars mission for India/USA

Sobering situation, Doc, Monster

Let's see what our in-house scientist says, CS you have the mike :lol:


.



Why should this be a sobering situation for the US AZ ?


.




Well, Doc, what about when Iranian land on Mars on "nickel & dime" budget ? :lol:

Would that be "sobering" ?


Look, Space WAS you guys monopoly (with all those spy satellites etc), now you grounded without Russian engines.

In generation or two, could be "traffic jam" up there.

.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:14 am

.


Falcon SpaceX rocket lands on droneship but falls & explodes






Looking at at, it would not be difficult to fix this .. the rocket lands nicely and stable .. am astonished why they did not have a "hold" after it landed, easy to make.

Meaning this pretty much successful


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Typhoon » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:13 pm

Planet Nine from Outer Space

Caltech researchers have found evidence of a giant planet tracing a bizarre, highly elongated orbit in the outer solar system. The object, which the researchers have nicknamed Planet Nine, has a mass about 10 times that of Earth and orbits about 20 times farther from the sun on average than does Neptune (which orbits the sun at an average distance of 2.8 billion miles). In fact, it would take this new planet between 10,000 and 20,000 years to make just one full orbit around the sun.

The researchers, Konstantin Batygin and Mike Brown, discovered the planet's existence through mathematical modeling and computer simulations but have not yet observed the object directly.

"This would be a real ninth planet," says Brown, the Richard and Barbara Rosenberg Professor of Planetary Astronomy. "There have only been two true planets discovered since ancient times, and this would be a third. It's a pretty substantial chunk of our solar system that's still out there to be found, which is pretty exciting."


Not so fast . . .
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14732
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:54 am

User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:17 am

.





Space station time-lapse captures dramatic lightning storms on Earth


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Typhoon » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:40 pm

All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14732
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:49 pm

User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm


Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:03 am

User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:22 am




Russia launches maiden rocket from 1st civilian cosmodrome


.
User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Typhoon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:07 am

Rocket launches are still a high risk undertaking.



A bit unusual as this apprears to have happened before ignition.

Always thought it was a mistake to cancel the nuclear rocket engine program.
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14732
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Typhoon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:00 am

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.

Siegel | Star Trek's Warp Drive Might Become A Reality

Given that the sun will eventually become a red giant and incinerate the earth,
this is a long term project worth working on.

For the curious:

arXiv | The warp drive: hyper-fast travel within general relativity
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14732
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Typhoon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:26 am

Flickr | Project Apollo Archive

When the Apollo astronauts traveled beyond the atmosphere and to the moon in the 1960s and ’70s, they carried Hasselblad cameras to document the NASA missions. The Project Apollo Archive launched last month and has released over 11,000 of these photographs into the public domain via Flickr, including almost every Apollo lunar mission film shot in its unprocessed form.


http://hyperallergic.com/242079/11000-p ... on-flickr/
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14732
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby kmich » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:52 pm

User avatar
kmich
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:46 am

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Heracleum Persicum » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:51 pm

User avatar
Heracleum Persicum
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Simple Minded » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:04 pm



Interesting. I have always been taught that the universe is infinite. 10 times bigger than infinite is a tough concept for me to grasp.

Sounds like the ontological argument.

Similar to climate "scientist" pecker measuring, he who discovers the biggest universe must be the best astronomer..... and should get the most funding. right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP81Je7APoQ
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6406
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Typhoon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:57 pm

Simple Minded wrote:


Interesting. I have always been taught that the universe is infinite. 10 times bigger than infinite is a tough concept for me to grasp.

Sounds like the ontological argument.

Similar to climate "scientist" pecker measuring, he who discovers the biggest universe must be the best astronomer..... and should get the most funding. right?


That is a somewhat poorly written misleading headline. The galaxy count was increased by about 10 in the observable universe, i.e., the universe with the time-like part of our light cone [SR].

Nature |Universe has ten times more galaxies than researchers thought

The observable Universe contains about two trillion galaxies — more than ten times as many as previously estimated, according to the first significant revision of the count in two decades
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14732
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Simple Minded » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Typhoon wrote:
That is a somewhat poorly written misleading headline. The galaxy count was increased by about 10 in the observable universe, i.e., the universe with the time-like part of our light cone [SR].

Nature |Universe has ten times more galaxies than researchers thought

The observable Universe contains about two trillion galaxies — more than ten times as many as previously estimated, according to the first significant revision of the count in two decades


That was also my interpretation, my wiseass response aside. The hyper-specialized areas of study always remind me of religion. So few bother to access original data, or have access to original data, that most look to them as the high priests or the keepers of the truth/latest knowledge.

While working with some NRAO scientists I found it interesting that they would discuss anything except the possibility of ET life. Electro magnetic radiation, X-rays, gamma rays, radio waves, Doppler Shifts, etc. they could speak for hours. Possibility of ET's, they got quiet.

Any speculation about ET's would cast doubt on the seriousness of their science.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP81Je7APoQ
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6406
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Typhoon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
That is a somewhat poorly written misleading headline. The galaxy count was increased by about 10 in the observable universe, i.e., the universe with the time-like part of our light cone [SR].

Nature |Universe has ten times more galaxies than researchers thought

The observable Universe contains about two trillion galaxies — more than ten times as many as previously estimated, according to the first significant revision of the count in two decades


That was also my interpretation, my wiseass response aside. The hyper-specialized areas of study always remind me of religion. So few bother to access original data, or have access to original data, that most look to them as the high priests or the keepers of the truth/latest knowledge.


There is a movement in science towards more open access to data.

Simple Minded wrote:While working with some NRAO scientists I found it interesting that they would discuss anything except the possibility of ET life. Electro magnetic radiation, X-rays, gamma rays, radio waves, Doppler Shifts, etc. they could speak for hours. Possibility of ET's, they got quiet.

Any speculation about ET's would cast doubt on the seriousness of their science.


I would speculate that it depends on where. There are a number of ongoing searches, with discoveries, for planets, with most interest in planets that would support life as we understand it. Also ongoing searches for signals from spaces that would suggest the existence of other intelligent life.

Aliens already having visited us is another issue.
Such an advanced civilization would have had to solve the speed of light limit issue by being able to

1/ warp space-time* and

2/ survive the trip

*
Typhoon wrote:In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.

Siegel | Star Trek's Warp Drive Might Become A Reality

Given that the sun will eventually become a red giant and incinerate the earth,
this is a long term project worth working on.

For the curious:

arXiv | The warp drive: hyper-fast travel within general relativity
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14732
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Astronomy and Space

Postby Typhoon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:01 am

There's a little black spot on the Mars today.
Right where the ESA probe crashed yesterday


Image

The success rate of Mars missions is about 50%. A high risk, very technically challenging, undertaking.
All the world's a stage.
User avatar
Typhoon
 
Posts: 14732
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Science + Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest