Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

Re: Quantum weirdness

Post by Doc »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/quantum-enta ... 25646.html
Quantum entanglement: New research discovers potential problem with quantum computing development

Scientists have discovered a new mechanism in quantum mechanics that challenges existing knowledge about the point at which entangled light particles originate from.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Aeon | Quantum common sense
Quantum theory contradicts common sense. Everyone who has even a modest interest in physics quickly gets this message. The quantum view of reality, we’re often told, is as a madhouse of particles that become waves (and vice versa), and that speak to one another through spooky messages that defy normal conceptions of time and space. We think the world is made from solid, discrete objects – trees and dogs and tables – things that have objective properties that we can all agree on; but in quantum mechanics the whole concept of classical objects with well-defined identities seems not to exist. Sounds ridiculous? The much-lauded physicist Richard Feynman thought so, yet he implored us to learn to live with it. ‘I hope you can accept Nature as She is – absurd,’ he said in 1985.

Except that much of the popular picture is wrong. Quantum theory doesn’t actually say that particles can become waves or communicate in spooky ways, and it certainly does not say that classical objects don’t exist. Not only does it not deny the existence of classical objects, it gives a meaningful account of why they do exist. In some important respects, the modern formulation of the theory reveals why common sense looks the way it does. You could say that the classical world is simply what quantum mechanics looks like if you are six feet tall. Our world, and our intuition, are quantum all the way up.
Introduction to quantum decoherence.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/does-light-e ... 52247.html
Does This Light Experiment Disprove The Big Bang Theory?
Elana Glowatz,International Business Times Fri, Jun 30 1:40 PM PDT

Light moves in mysterious ways, but scientists may have cracked the case when it comes to momentum, and their findings could change the way we view and understand the universe.

Researchers observing photons of light as they passed through a transparent material in a computer simulation have watched the light offsetting atoms in the material, transferring momentum to them and thus losing energy, according to an article in the journal Physical Review A. The material is essentially creating drag for the light and slows it down
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:Aeon | Quantum common sense
Quantum theory contradicts common sense. Everyone who has even a modest interest in physics quickly gets this message. The quantum view of reality, we’re often told, is as a madhouse of particles that become waves (and vice versa), and that speak to one another through spooky messages that defy normal conceptions of time and space. We think the world is made from solid, discrete objects – trees and dogs and tables – things that have objective properties that we can all agree on; but in quantum mechanics the whole concept of classical objects with well-defined identities seems not to exist. Sounds ridiculous? The much-lauded physicist Richard Feynman thought so, yet he implored us to learn to live with it. ‘I hope you can accept Nature as She is – absurd,’ he said in 1985.

Except that much of the popular picture is wrong. Quantum theory doesn’t actually say that particles can become waves or communicate in spooky ways, and it certainly does not say that classical objects don’t exist. Not only does it not deny the existence of classical objects, it gives a meaningful account of why they do exist. In some important respects, the modern formulation of the theory reveals why common sense looks the way it does. You could say that the classical world is simply what quantum mechanics looks like if you are six feet tall. Our world, and our intuition, are quantum all the way up.
I would call this an introduction to new waves of quantum poetry. :) Some of the old Bohrian voodoo garbage removed with new garbage added to the mix.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

[Mod. Her obit in posted in the Heaven section.]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Aeon | Quantum common sense

I am wonder how this effect the single photon through a double slit experiment. Any idea how a single photon is emitted towards a target screen other than making the slit so small only a sinlge photon can pass at one time?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote:I am wonder how this effect the single photon through a double slit experiment. Any idea how a single photon is emitted towards a target screen other than making the slit so small only a sinlge photon can pass at one time?
A photon is not a photon when it travels towards a slit. It is a collection of probabilities superimposed on the thing it may or may not be. When "it" meets its environment with a bang (measurement, observation).. only one probability survives and becomes an actuality.

Of course the environment moves its goal posts continuously; you never know which wall you in the end crash your head into and as a consequence don't know which brain tissue will stick and which superimposed probabilities will de-cohere, evaporate beyond the horizon forever. Christ died so you may live. Had he still lived, you would not have been born, actualized. Which begs the question: if he returns to life, as promised, who or what is it that he will save? Ironically enough his return is described as a slaughter house: no physical being will survive it. This would be remarkably consistent with the described theory of measurement. Rewind the tape (very easy in quantum mechanics) and all that de-cohered will re-cohere... and we'll all be back where we started: as superimposed waves of probability. Probability sets, alias "souls" hanging suspended in Hilbert space just waiting.. until something breaks and creation starts again.

And don't underestimate the issue of democracy also here: most of us prefer to be ruled bottom-up where together we negotiate and decide.The writer of the article no doubt likes democracy when he claims that the world of classical objects is just a special case of bottom-up ruled quantum process, but the environment tends to be a top-down dictator who loves to remind the quantum masses who is Boss. Mono-theists can tell you all about that. Especially bottom-up Islam knows how to submit to the top-down Ruler Allah because they know.. resistance is futile. Or bang your head against a rock solid wailing wall in East Jerusalem.. and hope the Ruler will hear you. Bottom-up rule my azz. Top-down rule it has always been. It gives you the illusion of having a vote but takes it away when push comes to shove and you pass through the narrow slit.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Doc wrote:I am wonder how this effect the single photon through a double slit experiment. Any idea how a single photon is emitted towards a target screen other than making the slit so small only a sinlge photon can pass at one time?
A photon is not a photon when it travels towards a slit. It is a collection of probabilities superimposed on the thing it may or may not be. When "it" meets its environment with a bang (measurement, observation).. only one probability survives and becomes an actuality.

Of course the environment moves its goal posts continuously; you never know which wall you in the end crash your head into and as a consequence don't know which brain tissue will stick and which superimposed probabilities will de-cohere, evaporate beyond the horizon forever. Christ died so you may live. Had he still lived, you would not have been born, actualized. Which begs the question: if he returns to life, as promised, who or what is it that he will save? Ironically enough his return is described as a slaughter house: no physical being will survive it. This would be remarkably consistent with the described theory of measurement. Rewind the tape (very easy in quantum mechanics) and all that de-cohered will re-cohere... and we'll all be back where we started: as superimposed waves of probability. Probability sets, alias "souls" hanging suspended in Hilbert space just waiting.. until something breaks and creation starts again.

And don't underestimate the issue of democracy also here: most of us prefer to be ruled bottom-up where together we negotiate and decide.The writer of the article no doubt likes democracy when he claims that the world of classical objects is just a special case of bottom-up ruled quantum process, but the environment tends to be a top-down dictator who loves to remind the quantum masses who is Boss. Mono-theists can tell you all about that. Especially bottom-up Islam knows how to submit to the top-down Ruler Allah because they know.. resistance is futile. Or bang your head against a rock solid wailing wall in East Jerusalem.. and hope the Ruler will hear you. Bottom-up rule my azz. Top-down rule it has always been. It gives you the illusion of having a vote but takes it away when push comes to shove and you pass through the narrow slit.
:D Beautifully said!

Beauty, and alas, most of reality is in the eye of the beholder.

Millions and billions of blind men touching the infinitely large elephant...... each certain the part they touched is the only valid part, and that, therefore, the other who ain't feeling their favorite part of the infinitely large elephant are wrong.

Life is much less bothersome to those who realize their inherent puniness....... ;)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Parodite wrote:

:D Beautifully said!
Doesn't answer my question though on how a single photon is emitted (As a very practical matter)

But if you must, Martin Luther declared that man can live by faith alone, and Jesus said it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye(Read slit) of needle than a rich man go to heaven. So by that I take it that the amount of faith one has is de-cohered by the amount of money one has.

Therefore concluded by your reasoning that a soul is not a soul but a set of probability waves crashing on the beach of existence. Each succeeding wave effected by the prior in turn effecting the latter all determining how high up the beach they will go. In other words you feel that your entire existence after traveling great distance, is to be summed up for eternity as a temporary dark wet spot in the sand with a crooked boundary. That any probability wave illusions that we have of ourselves are pure folly in the end, all faith evaporating in the sands of time.

Millions and billions of blind men touching the infinitely large elephant...... each certain the part they touched is the only valid part, and that, therefore, the other who ain't feeling their favorite part of the infinitely large elephant are wrong.

Life is much less bothersome to those who realize their inherent puniness....... ;)
Indeed Indeed It is quantum mechanics all the way down. :P
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote: :D Beautifully said!

Thank you bruh :) Yes the room in the elephant is huuuge! The belly of the beast seems always hungry. Are we food for thought? :shock:
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote:Doesn't answer my question though on how a single photon is emitted (As a very practical matter)
I don't know.
But if you must, Martin Luther declared that man can live by faith alone, and Jesus said it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye(Read slit) of needle than a rich man go to heaven. So by that I take it that the amount of faith one has is de-cohered by the amount of money one has.
Yes, follow the money! Maybe some small pocket money will still make it through the slit.
Therefore concluded by your reasoning that a soul is not a soul but a set of probability waves crashing on the beach of existence. Each succeeding wave effected by the prior in turn effecting the latter all determining how high up the beach they will go. In other words you feel that your entire existence after traveling great distance, is to be summed up for eternity as a temporary dark wet spot in the sand with a crooked boundary. That any probability wave illusions that we have of ourselves are pure folly in the end, all faith evaporating in the sands of time.
It could be that de-cohered information is not really lost.. just that it returned to where it came from. How would that be? The point is that if one takes quantum mechanics seriously it apparently is quite ok to make assumptions about things unknown that are hence pure speculation yet very poetic by the shear lingo used! I'm especially deeply in love with things like "superposition", "interacting with itself", or "being at two places at the same time".

I love quantum mechanics for it strongly compels asking: WTF is going on? While nobody knows. But I certainly do not believe in physical yet magical realities like "probability sets", "souls hanging suspended in Hilbert space". I got carried away again.

Me thinks quantum mechanics has the best of two complementary worlds (so we can safely return to the Bohr interpretation): the most accurate toolset to predict little and fundamental things with which we can create awesome technology... and yet being so mysterious that everybody who tries to peek behind the veil gets crazy or starts producing mere poetry even when they think they still talk science. :)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote:
Doc wrote:Doesn't answer my question though on how a single photon is emitted (As a very practical matter)
I don't know.
Yes, follow the money! Maybe some small pocket money will still make it through the slit.
It could be that de-cohered information is not really lost.. just that it returned to where it came from. How would that be? The point is that if one takes quantum mechanics seriously it apparently is quite ok to make assumptions about things unknown that are hence pure speculation yet very poetic by the shear lingo used! I'm especially deeply in love with things like "superposition", "interacting with itself", or "being at two places at the same time".

I love quantum mechanics for it strongly compels asking: WTF is going on? While nobody knows. But I certainly do not believe in physical yet magical realities like "probability sets", "souls hanging suspended in Hilbert space". I got carried away again.

Me thinks quantum mechanics has the best of two complementary worlds (so we can safely return to the Bohr interpretation): the most accurate toolset to predict little and fundamental things with which we can create awesome technology... and yet being so mysterious that everybody who tries to peek behind the veil gets crazy or starts producing mere poetry even when they think they still talk science. :)
But all of us peer behind the veil. Our eyes can see right through it. It is how we tell Red from Green from Blue. We just can't tell anyone what exactly we see. IE Describe what the color Green looks like. All we can say it that it has a WAVE length of 520 THz to 609 THz. We observe light yet instead of de-coherence we actually use the wave portion to observe the world. ;)
noddy

Post by noddy »

Im probably several decades out of date ... but in my alcohol ravaged memory of quantum it was far less superstitious and weird and far more boring and statistical.

the analogy I was told was something like running around a football field blindfolded and recording when you accidently crashed into a ball - thusly the act of recording is the act of destroying the evidence and everything is but a statistical probablity.

the mumbo jumbo of quantum results from that condition of our crude methodology, not the other way round.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:Im probably several decades out of date ... but in my alcohol ravaged memory of quantum it was far less superstitious and weird and far more boring and statistical.

the analogy I was told was something like running around a football field blindfolded and recording when you accidently crashed into a ball - thusly the act of recording is the act of destroying the evidence and everything is but a statistical probablity.

the mumbo jumbo of quantum results from that condition of our crude methodology, not the other way round.
Experiment, not philosophy, is the final arbiter.

To account for the experimental observations, one sums probability amplitudes not classical probabilities.

No one, to date, has come up with a viable alternative explanation.

Quantum decoherence is the interaction of a quantum system with its environment.
noddy

Post by noddy »

no argument from me - i happily no nothing about modern physics, was just a drive by muse.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:no argument from me - i happily know nothing about modern physics, was just a drive by muse.
No worries.

As an aside, the impact of supposedly arcane QM on contemporary industrialized economies is massive:

lasers, LEDS, MRI scanners and their superconducting magnets, and last, but not least, ubiquitous transistors.

To name a few.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The Sokal Hoax: At Whom Are We Laughing?

The philosophical pronouncements of Bohr, Born, Heisenberg and Pauli deserve some of the blame for the excesses of the postmodernist critique of science.

by Mara Beller
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
The Sokal Hoax: At Whom Are We Laughing?

The philosophical pronouncements of Bohr, Born, Heisenberg and Pauli deserve some of the blame for the excesses of the postmodernist critique of science.

by Mara Beller
At whom are we laughing? Derrida and Beller.

Newton spent much of his life on alchemy, trying to understand the bible's Book of Revelations, investing in and losing a fortune in the South Seas Bubble, and tracking down currency forgers for execution.

However, his Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica contained non of this only the first foundations of calculus and physics.

As Newton noted in the preface of the 2nd edition: Hypotheses non fingo.
I have not as yet been able to discover the reason for these properties of gravity from phenomena, and I do not feign hypotheses. For whatever is not deduced from the phenomena must be called a hypothesis; and hypotheses, whether metaphysical or physical, or based on occult qualities, or mechanical, have no place in experimental philosophy [science]. In this philosophy particular propositions are inferred from the phenomena, and afterwards rendered general by induction.
Likewise, I've never read any philosophical pronouncements of Bohr, Born, Heisenberg, or Pauli. Well, until now. I have, however, read their physics papers that established the mathematical and physical foundations of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory: all math and physics, no philosophy

There is nothing obscure in the writings of Bohr's physics papers.

A collection of the English translations of the foundational papers

[Worth reading, if one has an interest in the field.]

The difference is that Bohr et al. are the founders of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, whereas Derrida makes it laughably clear that he has less than zero understanding of physics, willfully so, and is spouting purposely obscure postmodernist nonsense.

If he was anything other than a spunk artiste, he would have focused on understanding their physics papers and ignored their philosophical hobbies, if he was aware of them.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-atomistic ... ength.html

Atomistic simulations go the distance on metal strength

September 28, 2017
Atomistic simulations go the distance on metal strength
Tantalum crystal can flow like a viscous fluid while remaining a stiff and strong metal and retaining its ordered lattice structure. This snapshot depicts a dense network of lattice defects developing in the flowing crystal. Credit: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory researchers have dived down to the atomic scale to resolve every "jiggle and wiggle" of atomic motion that underlies metal strength.

In a first of its kind series of computer simulations focused on metal tantalum, the team predicted that, on reaching certain critical conditions of straining, metal plasticity (the ability to change shape under load) meets its limits. One limit is reached when crystal defects known as dislocations are no longer able to relieve mechanical loads, and another mechanism - twinning, or the sudden reorientation of the crystal lattice - is activated and takes over as the dominant mode of dynamic response.

The research appears in the Sept. 27 edition of Nature as an Advance Online Publication